Gohan's role/usage in "Dragon Ball Super"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragon ball truth

Re: Wtf about Gohan?

Post by dragon ball truth » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:17 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
dragon ball truth wrote:
I think if toriyama was in full ownership of super and in charge of all the writing, Gohan would be the strongest even now.
Not a chance, Toriyama's the guy who decided to put Gohan in the role of a scholar as he didn't think he was suited for a lead man role like Goku was. If anything, the anime staff are throwing Gohan a bone by having him train again. Toriyama wouldn't give him that.
Role of a scholar, and thats why he was the strongest in 2 arcs even being one of the youngest characters; please dont make me go into detail into how its toei that likes making gohan weak.

dragon ball truth

Re: Gohan's role/usage in "Dragon Ball Super"

Post by dragon ball truth » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:19 am

shwin wrote:
Avok wrote:
shwin wrote:Gohan should be relevant but he should not be the strongest IMO.
Why not?
Because whenever he does end up becoming the strongest he ends up wasting all of that power, why give all the power to a guy who frankly, does not really deserve it and ends up wasting it.

Gohan becomes the strongest at the end of the Cell arc but after that does not bother to train. Then Gohan gets his power up in the Buu arc and guess what, he decides not to train again and now look where we are in Super. He had his chance. That is why I am saying he can be relevant but should not be the strongest because it clearly has not worked out.
Oh and vegeta being the strongest in the cell series against cell at ultra ssj really ended up well; and goku not killing frieza quickly after getting ssj ended up well for namek also. Moot point kid

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Wtf about Gohan?

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:23 am

dragon ball truth wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
dragon ball truth wrote:
I think if toriyama was in full ownership of super and in charge of all the writing, Gohan would be the strongest even now.
Not a chance, Toriyama's the guy who decided to put Gohan in the role of a scholar as he didn't think he was suited for a lead man role like Goku was. If anything, the anime staff are throwing Gohan a bone by having him train again. Toriyama wouldn't give him that.
Role of a scholar, and thats why he was the strongest in 2 arcs even being one of the youngest characters; please dont make me go into detail into how its toei that likes making gohan weak.
Something Toriyama admitted to regretting as he didn't feel Gohan was right for the role of a battle junkie like Goku is. Hence why he has Bootenks take Gohan out so Goku and Vegeta can take over as the main guys responsible for beating Boo. This isn't me making stuff up: the guy himself admitted this as he didn't think fighting junkie was a good direction for Gohan's character despite his attempts at making it work.

Also, Toriyama's the guy who wrote him getting one shotted in the F movie. Toei had him get tortured but also had him ask Piccolo for help to train. I know everyone likes to think Toriyama's the greatest guy ever and that Toei eat babies while stomping on puppy heads for DUR EVILZ! but the proof speaks for itself: Toriyama decided to basically bench Gohan mere chapters after his biggest power increase and has no qualms about keeping him there while Toei's at least had him train with Piccolo again.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Gohan's role/usage in "Dragon Ball Super"

Post by buutenks » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:36 am

Why not wait till the arc is finished and then complain?