Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Animation Catalogue - [Updated with #51]

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:28 am

Ajay wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Those thick lines are Koudai Watanabe-esque. Love it.
I haven't noticed this shot at all and I've seen the episode 3 times now. It looks so good.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:31 am

Why does FTrunks look like has whiskers? :lol:

MonkeyKing16
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MonkeyKing16 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:00 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Why does FTrunks look like has whiskers? :lol:
Now that you mention it, he almost looks like Naruto.

Funny how the stuff that Dragonball inspired seems to be leaking through.

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:04 am

MonkeyKing16 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Why does FTrunks look like has whiskers? :lol:
Now that you mention it, he almost looks like Naruto.

Funny how the stuff that Dragonball inspired seems to be leaking through.
It's only natural. The animators around now grew up with these series, or were made better with them. My own generation of animators (the 20-30 crowd) All speak with Nostalgia about shows like Naruto, an anime that came out when I was in third grade, and is still going through my 5th year in college.

Remember Naoki Tate? His style evolved while working on One Piece - a show explicitly inspired by Dragon Ball. It's almost like a self-gratifying circle, a new Toei generation so to speak. All that said, it's a real shame the production of this show got so much shit, this SHOULD by all means be the generation-bridging show from Toei.

I expect this to happen again. I'm now being inspired by people merely 3 years older than me, animators like Bahi JD, or Hisashi Mori I think the more digital, but stylized style that's started popping up is going to run its way into older series assuming they stay alive, hell it's already happened to Detective Conan.

For instance Something like this was 1996 Sakuga
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Nowadays things look like this, much more flashy and abundance of digital tablets allow for some interesting movement, that is much easier to retweak (granted the CGI cars and balls can go somewhere else but still)
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

And that's just the animators being inspired by animators. What about the animators inspired by Manga?

You wouldve NEVER seen anything like this in 1996-2009
And thats because a lot of this style was established in newer, much younger shows. Shows that actually pushed the limits of their animated styles. How many people around nowadays pushing these boundries do you think grew up reading and watching Shows like Dragon Ball, Detective Conan, Doraemon, and Saeze San? And now you have GROUNDBREAKING shows out like One-Punch Man that I honestly believe helped redefine how action should be handled in anime. I quote Attack on Titan as the first time i noticed that thicker lines were starting to be used in style guides.

It's an industry that grows, an art form that becomes greater and more diverse as time goes on. I can officially Say we've shit on the "Millennium's Dark Age" of anime from 2007-2011 (you know, the MOE invasion) and when it ended a new generation came out with an earthshattering BANG

This is why I love Animation so damn much, specifically in Japan, and France. Our [American] industry has stagnated, because people dont see animation as an art-form, rather a means to make "kids cartoons, or Family Guy" and thats why all of them are pretty much being tweened out in Flash or After Effects nowadays. It's gross.
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

neolux
Beyond Newbie

Post by neolux » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:26 am

*sigh* this guy Salvamakoto again, recoloring some dbs scenes again, and lots of people praising him... I don't really like what he does. And like Ajay says: the problem is more with designs and recoloring doesn't fix the problem with Dragon Ball Super

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:51 am

neolux wrote:*sigh* this guy Salvamakoto again, recoloring some dbs scenes again, and lots of people praising him... I don't really like what he does. And like Ajay says: the problem is more with designs and recoloring doesn't fix the problem with Dragon Ball Super

What that's a world of difference.

neolux
Beyond Newbie

Post by neolux » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:54 am

[spoiler]
Shuby wrote:
neolux wrote:*sigh* this guy Salvamakoto again, recoloring some dbs scenes again, and lots of people praising him... I don't really like what he does. And like Ajay says: the problem is more with designs and recoloring doesn't fix the problem with Dragon Ball Super

[/spoiler]

In my personal opinion I don't really like it. :D

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:57 am

neolux wrote:[spoiler]
Shuby wrote:

[/spoiler]

In my personal opinion I don't really like it. :D
Did you do that? Well i am pretty sure most people will prefer this than the plastic-ish look it has now.

neolux
Beyond Newbie

Post by neolux » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:00 pm

Shuby wrote:
Did you do that? Well i am pretty sure most people will prefer this than the plastic-ish look it has now.
But those shots were perfectly ok. I don't see the need to "fix" them. I would be rather surprised if he actually changed the designs and the details...
And nope this was done by a guy called Salvamakoto from Devianart. And sure, a lot of people will like those recoloring...

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:04 pm

I mean... they look OK if it was the Cel Animation era, but this is the digital era, nothing in the last 12 years has looked like that - well except this tidbit from 2014's Shirobako

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_jhRb_9yPA

Honestly all it's doing is looking nostalgic (and not even nostalgic, he clearly sampled the orange bricks). That's not a replacement for a better style guide, or better animation.

I can very easily see the frustration with something like this. People think applying darkness and color grain is a good excuse for making the series better, when all it's doing is making some stills slightly better looking. Doesnt help the animation or animators.
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:06 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm not vehemently against what he does -- in fact, I've done similar things myself -- but he alters the colours to adhere to FUNi's Orange Bricks. He's not being faithful to what Z ever looked like. He's pandering to the YouTube remaster crowd.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch!

But yeah, while Super's colour design is terrible, this approach is totally wrong.
Last edited by Ajay on Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:07 pm

I'd say the coloring definitely would help. Black looks a thousand times aesthetically more pleasing to look at than actual Goku thanks to the fact they put less highlights on his.... everything in comparison to Goku. Hell, if they just stopped putting highlights on people's hair it would already look more aesthetically pleasing.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:16 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
To me, it seems as if he's unintentionally highlighting how much animation has improved since that era. You would never see clouds of smoke look so dull and mispronounced now, for instance.

Dalesy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dalesy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:50 pm

Ajay wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm not vehemently against what he does -- in fact, I've done similar things myself -- but he alters the colours to adhere to FUNi's Orange Bricks. He's not being faithful to what Z ever looked like. He's pandering to the YouTube remaster crowd.

But yeah, while Super's colour design is terrible, this approach is totally wrong.
Utter nonsense. "what Z ever looked like" is, as far as I can ascertain from your fascist attitude toward the subject, your arbitrary, nebulous reconstruction of a Japanese TV broadcast from 25 years ago that you had never seen. Your inexplicably authoritative this-not-that attitude about the show's visual style stuffs differing opinions back into the mouths of the speakers before they even get the thought out, backing them into a corner from which the only escape is to agree with your particular view on the matter. This, of course, is futile, given the untraversable gulf of difference that exists between your own experience with Z and that of any other person. In pushing your view on another, you're not sharing, you're scaring. You're beating someone into giving the appearance of adopting a viewpoint that they simply can't inherit given their own, entirely personal context for the series. All this amounts to is a sort of masturbatory competition for influence. You, and others like you, treat the people to whom you dictate right or wrong like colonized territories. They fly your flags, but they are not one with you. They are lesser, other. It's a shame that this is how so many see fit to act with regards to this series.
"Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way." - DemonRin

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Post by saiyanvegetable » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:59 pm

I love that recolor. It wouldn't help the animation but its a world of difference and looks so much better. People saying how it "doesn't look modern" really aren't anybody whos artistic opinion i would listen to - "it doesnt look modern" is an immediate red flag in almost every medium and especially here, with anime being on a decline in terms of production. If you sacrifice quality for the current trend you're a hack, plain and simple.

I still don't get this plastic "shine" on the characters as an artistic choice. It doesn't follow any rules of lighting and it seems plastered on there just because. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea and why?

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:10 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I'd say the coloring definitely would help. Black looks a thousand times aesthetically more pleasing to look at than actual Goku thanks to the fact they put less highlights on his.... everything in comparison to Goku. Hell, if they just stopped putting highlights on people's hair it would already look more aesthetically pleasing.
Maybe Black is actually a hero, sent to destroy Yamamuro's evil character designs!

Re: Salvamakoto
While his edits do make things a bit better, the colors are still too saturated for my taste. They definitely do feel Orange Brick-ish.

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:32 pm

I absolutely love those Salvamakoto recolors and I've never seen the Funimation remaster/Orange Bricks or whatever.

I mean, they're far from perfect and look too old for a modern series, but they're closer to how I would like the show to look now. Ten time better than the awful colour pallete of the new material. The character design is another story, but I think they're more bearable with the older style.

The 2008 OVA is the way to go though. :P
Last edited by Avok on Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:53 pm

Dalesy wrote:
Ajay wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm not vehemently against what he does -- in fact, I've done similar things myself -- but he alters the colours to adhere to FUNi's Orange Bricks. He's not being faithful to what Z ever looked like. He's pandering to the YouTube remaster crowd.

Utter nonsense. "what Z ever looked like" is, as far as I can ascertain from your fascist attitude toward the subject, your arbitrary, nebulous reconstruction of a Japanese TV broadcast from 25 years ago that you had never seen. Your inexplicably authoritative this-not-that attitude about the show's visual style stuffs differing opinions back into the mouths of the speakers before they even get the thought out, backing them into a corner from which the only escape is to agree with your particular view on the matter. This, of course, is futile, given the untraversable gulf of difference that exists between your own experience with Z and that of any other person. In pushing your view on another, you're not sharing, you're scaring. You're beating someone into giving the appearance of adopting a viewpoint that they simply can't inherit given their own, entirely personal context for the series. All this amounts to is a sort of masturbatory competition for influence. You, and others like you, treat the people to whom you dictate right or wrong like colonized territories. They fly your flags, but they are not one with you. They are lesser, other. It's a shame that this is how so many see fit to act with regards to this series.
Although I agree that how Z looked like isn't restrained to its TV broadcast, don't you think you're taking this a little far. Ajay has strong opinions and sometimes he does seem to have a elitist attitude (although i think it's unintentional), but he's not a dictator.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Derf

Post by Derf » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:55 pm

Absolutely love those recolors. I understand it's probably mostly just nostalgia blinding me, but I would pay good money to watch the show in that style.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:03 pm

kinisking wrote:
Dalesy wrote:

Although I agree that how Z looked like isn't restrained to its TV broadcast, don't you think you're taking this a little far. Ajay has strong opinions and sometimes he does seem to have a elitist attitude (although i think it's unintentional), but he's not a dictator.
You're responding to a friend of mine who's fucking with me. Don't take anything he says seriously.

I own several cels from the series; I know what the intended colour palette was and those recolours aren't close.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.