Is Black really trying to kill all humans?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is Black really trying to kill all humans?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:43 pm

Black has already killed all the mortals in various planets before. The reason he's delayed his genocide of Earth is very likely because he's been trying to lure Goku there with the inadvertent aid of Trunks. I mean, why else would he have promised Zamasu to let him kill Goku if he didn't know that Goku would arrive there one day?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: is Black really trying to kill all humans?

Post by buutenks » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:38 pm

Friezacooler wrote:
nice try a regular smoke grenade shoudn't even affect his senses it was stabilised since early dragonball.
I dont see the problem with them being affected by those gas grenades. Did they die? Were they knocked out? Were they hurt? Why does it matter?

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:48 pm

It's a mistranslation issue, Black is trying to kill all mortals.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:52 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:It's a mistranslation issue, Black is trying to kill all mortals.
This isn't particularly a translation error. "Human" is the correct translation. However, Dragon World uses human to refer to anyone who isn't a god. For convenience and clarification, most of us are using "mortal" to distinguish the bodies. It's a case of terminology being applied differently from its native usage.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:00 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:It's a mistranslation issue, Black is trying to kill all mortals.
The term being used, ningen, best translates to humans, but in regards to Dragon Ball, that's never been used solely to describe life on Earth. Ginyu's referred to himself as human before, and Vegeta's referred to the non-Oozaru form of Saiya-jin as human as well. As far as Super is concerned, especially in the case of Zamasu, it's used to describe non-gods. Mortal isn't an accurate term given that the Kaioushin aren't immortal in any sense (they can be killed and can die of old age), and ningen doesn't translate to that at all.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:17 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:
The term being used, ningen, best translates to humans, but in regards to Dragon Ball, that's never been used solely to describe life on Earth. Ginyu's referred to himself as human before, and Vegeta's referred to the non-Oozaru form of Saiya-jin as human as well. As far as Super is concerned, especially in the case of Zamasu, it's used to describe non-gods. Mortal isn't an accurate term given that the Kaioushin aren't immortal in any sense (they can be killed and can die of old age), and ningen doesn't translate to that at all.
so basically its a umbrella name for all the mortal, sentient inhabitants of the dragon ball universe/multiverse.

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:30 pm

buutenks wrote:
Friezacooler wrote:
nice try a regular smoke grenade shoudn't even affect his senses it was stabilised since early dragonball.
I dont see the problem with them being affected by those gas grenades. Did they die? Were they knocked out? Were they hurt? Why does it matter?

It does matter cause this ain't Sponge Bob but DBZ.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:15 pm

Friezacooler wrote:
buutenks wrote:
Friezacooler wrote:

It does matter cause this ain't Sponge Bob but DBZ.
No its Dragon Ball and there are parts of dragon ball that do play out like a morning cartoon show. Aside from the beating he got from Vegeta, Yajirobe's antics in the series have always been overly comical.

Also has it EVER been stated or show that kaioshin cannot be affected by chemicals such as tear gas? This is not a bullet or a punch, it is classed as a chemical weapon by law despite not being leathel. It causes severe eye, respiratory and skin irritation, pain, vomiting, and even blindness.

You cannot fight something like that and we have never seen such a weapon used on any of the alien or godly species of this universe so we have no president to judge it by. So I cannot see any evidence to support you notion that it cannot affect beings such as Black and Zamasu.
Last edited by Lord Frieza on Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:25 pm

Goku was affected by an earthly heart virus. Since black has Goku;s body, means he can be affected also. I really see no reason why this is an issue. I mean Goku can be killed by just drowning him, doesnt matter if his PL would be 10000000x 1 trillion.

I would understand if characters would have been hit by similar things back in DB and not been affected, but all kid Goku was hit with were rpgs and bullets. No one threw gas grenades or such at him. Also, kid Goku was affected by the stink of Bacterian(or w/e his name was), so his senses are pretty human. And most likely so are Zamasus.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:40 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Black has already killed all the mortals in various planets before. The reason he's delayed his genocide of Earth is very likely because he's been trying to lure Goku there with the inadvertent aid of Trunks. I mean, why else would he have promised Zamasu to let him kill Goku if he didn't know that Goku would arrive there one day?
I thought of that too, but then I remembered we see him speak to himself about being unaware of the time machine, so ... ?

Of course, it could be revealed as a minor inconsistency when all's said and done.

But yeah, right now the lines about "promising" to let Zamasu kill Goku, and his unawareness of the time machine as well as thinking he'd trapped Trunks in the past by destroying it, aren't lining up for me.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:20 pm

Cipher wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Black has already killed all the mortals in various planets before. The reason he's delayed his genocide of Earth is very likely because he's been trying to lure Goku there with the inadvertent aid of Trunks. I mean, why else would he have promised Zamasu to let him kill Goku if he didn't know that Goku would arrive there one day?
I thought of that too, but then I remembered we see him speak to himself about being unaware of the time machine, so ... ?

Of course, it could be revealed as a minor inconsistency when all's said and done.

But yeah, right now the lines about "promising" to let Zamasu kill Goku, and his unawareness of the time machine as well as thinking he'd trapped Trunks in the past by destroying it, aren't lining up for me.
Hmmm, maybe Black and F!Zamasu only became allies during the time Trunks was back in the main timeline training.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:22 pm

Kanassa wrote:Hmmm, maybe Black and F!Zamasu only became allies during the time Trunks was back in the main timeline training.
But Black thought he'd trapped Trunks in the past by destroying his time machine. Neither had a reason to suspect he'd return with Goku in tow.

Like I said, maybe it'll just end up being an error, but right now those lines aren't jiving.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:28 pm

Cipher wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Hmmm, maybe Black and F!Zamasu only became allies during the time Trunks was back in the main timeline training.
But Black thought he'd trapped Trunks in the past by destroying his time machine. Neither had a reason to suspect he'd return with Goku in tow.

Like I said, maybe it'll just end up being an error, but right now those lines aren't jiving.
I say we wait to discuss it too seriously until the manga chapters come out. If the error isn't in the comics, we know it's probably just a Toei Blooper.
Retired.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:38 pm

Black doesn't want to kill all humans, he only killed Red so he could take over the RRA and rule the world. Duh

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:49 am

nickzambuto wrote:Black doesn't want to kill all humans, he only killed Red so he could take over the RRA and rule the world. Duh
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:48 am

Lord Frieza wrote:
Darkprince410 wrote:
so basically its a umbrella name for all the mortal, sentient inhabitants of the dragon ball universe/multiverse.
Saying "mortal" isn't accurate. Just consider it non-god rather than "mortal" as even the gods aren't immortal.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:31 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:
Darkprince410 wrote:
Saying "mortal" isn't accurate. Just consider it non-god rather than "mortal" as even the gods aren't immortal.
Hmmm your right.....what should we be called then? Humans is a bit anthropomorphic.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:46 pm

Lord Frieza wrote: Hmmm your right.....what should we be called then? Humans is a bit anthropomorphic.
"People."
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:16 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote: Hmmm your right.....what should we be called then? Humans is a bit anthropomorphic.
"People."
"People" doesn't work, it could apply to gods almost just as well as non-gods.

The unfortunate fact is, there is no succinct translation. No single word exists in English that can properly convey what "ningen" means in this context. So there's no use trying to agree on the perfect term.
Retired.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:58 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
"People."
"People" doesn't work, it could apply to gods almost just as well as non-gods.

The unfortunate fact is, there is no succinct translation. No single word exists in English that can properly convey what "ningen" means in this context. So there's no use trying to agree on the perfect term.
Youtubers and Godtubers?