Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:06 pm

What are you talking about, why would Funimation release the Ocean Kai dub on DVD? Because only they have rights to distribute it, Ocean Kai is lost without a TV Airing.

Sure there's the Rock The Dragon set, but that had nostalgia on its side.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:38 pm

Mewzard wrote: ...Can any dub possibly meet six years worth of hype for those that actually care? Especially when there's a perfectly good English dub of it that's been around for even longer than this topic? There is such a thing as missing your window.

Nobodies hyped it up though. All the info we know so far has been gotten through unofficial leaks. It's also not as if the dub has been in the works for that amount of time either. We know it's been done for at least a few years so it's just a matter of getting it past all the red tape.

Will people still care at this point? Yeah, probably, especially if it's shown on TV in Canada where they haven't had a broadcast of it yet. I mean just think of all the kids there who were too young for Kai back in 2010 but are old enough in 2016 to be the right target demographic. Point is it'll be a brand new show to somebody.

At the end of the day, regardless of when or if it ever comes out there's plenty of reasons for DB fans to want to watch it. We know that at the very least it'll feature the original English voices of Piccolo and Vegeta dubbing material they've not previously covered before. That in and of itself is enough to warrant interest from any old school DBZ fan nevermind the fact that Lee Tockar and Richard Ian, two of Vancouver's top VAs, will be giving us brand new takes on Freeza and Goku. I'm sure there's bound to be Inuyasha fans out there who'd tune in just to hear him play Goku, even if they don't care for Kai itself.

Aside from the acting you've also got a new soundtrack in there too which is exclusive to this dub. It could be good or bad but the point is we won't know until we hear it, which another reason to watch.
Mewzard wrote:How many places can this air on TV that hasn't already run Kai? Hell, even more importantly, how many places would want to run this on DVD/Blu-Ray that haven't already done the FUNi dub of it?

It's just a lot of time, effort, and money sunk into something that I can't see paying off financially at this point.
It won't get a home release, I'm almost certain of that, but honestly it doesn't even matter in this day and age. Someone will record it all, probably in HD quality too.

I have no clue what their plan is to make money back but it most likely has something to do with advertising revenue. If it does get broadcast I just hope it does well enough in the ratings to warrant a dub of Final Chapters.

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:18 am

Does FUNIMATION even know about the dub, i haven't checked anywhere

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:06 am

Godgoku95 wrote:Does FUNIMATION even know about the dub, i haven't checked anywhere
Well aside from an anonymous user called Subzero Ice, Sean Schemmel was technically the first actor to publicly mention it on his Facebook page which was way back in 2010 I believe. Since he doesn't work in Canada the only way he could have known about it is if someone at Funimation got ahold of a ciip and showed it to him.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:11 am

Personally, I see this as either Ocean no longer caring to keep this project a secret or the NDA simply expiring without renewal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't actors speak out about projects that never see the light of day after a significant amount of time has passed? I still remain doubtful this dub will ever be seen, but hopefully now the actors who participated in this dub can speak up about it. I highly doubt Cole will after what happened between him and Ocean.

This thread is officially 6 years old today, wow!

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:18 pm

Mr Drummond just talked briefly about Kai in an interview with Geekdom. He's been informed that he can say he's Vegeta in it and that it, without a doubt, does exist. He also said that it's been completed.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:54 am

I love how Drummond openly admits that he didn't try as hard for Kai as he did when he first voiced Vegeta because now he has a lot of other voice-over work and didn't want to risk harming his voice.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:15 am

So I guess it's pretty much confirmed now that The Final Chapters hasn't been dubbed. Come to think of it that would explain why only 98 episodes are listed on the CRTC, I guess it makes sense that the Ocean group would put it on hold to see if the earlier part of the series can get on the air and obviously avoid wasting any more money.

I was happy to hear Drummond asked the Production Co-Ordinator recently about the dub because everyone was asking him, always nice to see the actors helping the fans get more information if they can (and obviously Drummond wants to know too), and that he would be interested in doing fan dubs, I'd certainly like to help, although I don't have a lot of money for what a project as big as Kai or Super would entail :) . I'd happily support a Kickstarter for this particular dub if it ever gets announced in an official capacity as the work has already been done and it's just a matter of getting it released.
Godgoku95 wrote:Does FUNIMATION even know about the dub, i haven't checked anywhere
I have no doubt Funimation know about this dub, not only are Ocean credited for video edits in the TV broadcast version of Kai but Schemmel said in his interaction with Subzero Ice that the existence of the dub was "strictly internal Funimation information" or something to that effect. I'm inclined to believe this is because they are sharing footage, the two companies licensing heads need to liaise (assuming this dub hasn't been seen because Funimation's version take priority), and nothing more
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:32 am

tvfan721 wrote:I love how Drummond openly admits that he didn't try as hard for Kai as he did when he first voiced Vegeta because now he has a lot of other voice-over work and didn't want to risk harming his voice.
Not to worry bro, Drummond might not be going all out with his screams anymore but at the end of the day whatever he does will still sound better than this which is good enough for me. :wink:

While on the subject of things we love about the interview, I enjoyed Drummond's sly jab at a certain other portrayal of Vegeta who he thought was too deep for the character (a sentiment I also share). His not-so-subtle impression of the man in question got a good laugh out of me.

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:10 pm

i hope someday anime comes back to a canadian tv network someday

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:39 pm

NitroEX wrote:[While on the subject of things we love about the interview, I enjoyed Drummond's sly jab at a certain other portrayal of Vegeta who he thought was too deep for the character (a sentiment I also share). His not-so-subtle impression of the man in question got a good laugh out of me.
I can't speak for Brian Drummond, but I didn't get the impression that he was talking about Chris Sabat, I think he really was just talking about how he took Vegeta's diminutive stature into account when coming up with the voice he used. He and Chris Sabat have not met, but both have said that they really respect each other's work and would love to meet at a con, given the opportunity. Drummond also complimented Sabat's voice for the character here.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:54 pm

I wonder who did Tenshinhan in the their dub of Kai?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:41 pm

NitroEX wrote:
tvfan721 wrote:I love how Drummond openly admits that he didn't try as hard for Kai as he did when he first voiced Vegeta because now he has a lot of other voice-over work and didn't want to risk harming his voice.
Not to worry bro, Drummond might not be going all out with his screams anymore but at the end of the day whatever he does will still sound better than this which is good enough for me. :wink:

While on the subject of things we love about the interview, I enjoyed Drummond's sly jab at a certain other portrayal of Vegeta who he thought was too deep for the character (a sentiment I also share). His not-so-subtle impression of the man in question got a good laugh out of me.
I like Drummond, but I've always thought Sabat did a better job (sans season 3). Drummond has great screams but everywhere else I think Sabat has him beat. (Though we're both heavily biased.)

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:42 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
NitroEX wrote:

I like Drummond, but I've always thought Sabat did a better job (sans season 3). Drummond has great screams but everywhere else I think Sabat has him beat. (Though we're both heavily biased.)
As far as my personal preference, I like Drummond's sinister tones, but I don't think he lived up to Sabat's "Casual" Vegeta.
Retired.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:47 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: I can't speak for Brian Drummond, but I didn't get the impression that he was talking about Chris Sabat, I think he really was just talking about how he took Vegeta's diminutive stature into account when coming up with the voice he used.
I saw it as him doing both, he was just remaining classy and professional about it as actors do. I don't think it was purely coincidence that the voice he put on just so happened to sound exactly like Sabat's Vegeta but if that's not what you heard then fine. Either way, him being a little critical of another portrayal isn't the same as outright hating it. I can believe he appreciates certain aspects of Sabat's Vegeta but it's pretty evident that he isn't a fan of the character having a deep pitch.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:He and Chris Sabat have not met, but both have said that they really respect each other's work and would love to meet at a con, given the opportunity. Drummond also complimented Sabat's voice for the character here.
While I'm sure there's some truth to their words, you have to believe that there's probably a lot of lip service thrown in there too. I mean it is show business after all, nobody wants to make enemies of anyone because pissing off the wrong person could potentially mean not getting work in the future.
Bansho64 wrote:I wonder who did Tenshinhan in the their dub of Kai?
It's been a while but if I'm remembering correctly I think Brendan Hunter confirmed that he was reprising the role. Matt Smith apparently quit acting a while ago to work in real estate.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:49 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
NitroEX wrote: Not to worry bro, Drummond might not be going all out with his screams anymore but at the end of the day whatever he does will still sound better than this which is good enough for me. :wink:

As far as my personal preference, I like Drummond's sinister tones, but I don't think he lived up to Sabat's "Casual" Vegeta.
I agree, I think the two actors each have their own merits in their performances as Vegeta. Preferably I'd like to see a mix of both approaches, which I could see Drummond achieving in this dub if he uses a lower pitch and has that gruff, but not forced approach Sabat used in Funi Kai.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:53 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
I agree, I think the two actors each have their own merits in their performances as Vegeta. Preferably I'd like to see a mix of both approaches, which I could see Drummond achieving in this dub if he uses a lower pitch and has that gruff, but not forced approach Sabat used in Funi Kai.
Forced? His Kai Vegeta is closer to Sabat's actual voice. He was keeping his throat strained with the Z Vegeta. I don't have a preference for one tone or the other, but Kai's Vegeta was definitely not forced.
Retired.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:07 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Forced? His Kai Vegeta is closer to Sabat's actual voice. He was keeping his throat strained with the Z Vegeta. I don't have a preference for one tone or the other, but Kai's Vegeta was definitely not forced.
Apologies if my wording was confusing I was referring to Sabat's Vegeta in Z being forced, but I agree he got it when Kai came around.

Android17

Post by Android17 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:20 pm

NitroEX wrote: It's been a while but if I'm remembering correctly I think Brendan Hunter confirmed that he was reprising the role. Matt Smith apparently quit acting a while ago to work in real estate.
I can second this. Hunter was a guest at Otafest 2013 in Calgary where he confirmed that he was the voice for Tenshinhan in Kai. The way he talked about the role made it sound as he had been finished with recording for a while, even back then.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:00 am

Mewzard wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I was brought up on a strange mix of one VHS fansub, video games, Z reruns, and Kai's Android Arc. The first time I watched the whole series at once, it was the jp voices with subs. I'm very amenable to new voices, I just don't care all that much. Unless the Ocean Dub of Kai simply blows me away, I'll just buy the Funi sets, they already did a decent job.
That's the trick...where can the Ocean Dub even be sold? FUNimation owns the North American home distribution rights to the franchise (which would include Canada I imagine). And they've already sold their Kai dub to several other English-speaking nations. FUNimation would have to allow an Ocean Kai set to be made in North America (competition), or another country would have to double dip on the franchise (where would it make enough money to pay for a second English dub).

How much money can this make if it only ever ends up airing on Canadian TV (if it even makes it that far)?

If they could have gotten TV/Home release rights in the UK prior to FUNi, I might have believed it to be viable, but...this situation seems a tad difficult for any company wanting to profit.
Yeah Kai has been sold in Canada. UK already aired and sold FUNi dub. If this even aired in Canada would people really watch it especially with Super being a thing? Because at this rate FUNi may even dub Super before this airs!

It's been 6 years. This isn't happening unfortunately :(

Edit - Could the score have something to do with the delay? From what I understand they have to license the music separately? Perhaps Ocean couldn't afford the Kikiuchi replacement score?