If Cell kept blowing himself up.

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Perfectionist-Cell
Beyond Newbie

If Cell kept blowing himself up.

Post by Perfectionist-Cell » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:32 pm

If Cell some how killed the z fighters using the same tactic and kept doing this until he encountered Beerus and Whis how well would he do against him?

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: If Cell kept blowing himself up.

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:49 pm

Just kept blowing himself up repeatedly for, like, nine years straight? That's funny to imagine.

On topic, I think he would just die. IIRC Cell stated or implied that he was very lucky one of his cells survived the self destruct, there's no reason to believe he could regenerate infinitely.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:55 pm

nickzambuto wrote:Just kept blowing himself up repeatedly for, like, nine years straight? That's funny to imagine.

On topic, I think he would just die. IIRC Cell stated or implied that he was very lucky one of his cells survived the self destruct, there's no reason to believe he could regenerate infinitely.
Can't speak for the manga, but in Simmon's subtitles for Kai Cell flat out says it was lucky his nucleas went unharmed.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:11 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:Just kept blowing himself up repeatedly for, like, nine years straight? That's funny to imagine.

Can't speak for the manga, but in Simmon's subtitles for Kai Cell flat out says it was lucky his nucleas went unharmed.
Your avatar is... disturbing. lol

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:15 pm

Keep in mind that he blew himself up in his Semi-Perfect form and reformed with a greater body than his initial perfect one. If he self-destructed using this body and the ki it was capable of generating, there is no way his nucleus or whatever would have gone unharmed; he would have been completely vaporized.

But in theory, if he could survive an infinite number of times and did that for 9 years straight... he'd probably be able to tag Beerus, but not Whis. Really, all Cell would need to do is train to catch up to Beerus, imo. He's designed to be the perfect fighter, and I think he has an overwhelming unseen potential.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:21 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Keep in mind that he blew himself up in his Semi-Perfect form and reformed with a greater body than his initial perfect one. If he self-destructed using this body and the ki it was capable of generating, there is no way his nucleus or whatever would have gone unharmed; he would have been completely vaporized.

But in theory, if he could survive an infinite number of times and did that for 9 years straight... he'd probably be able to tag Beerus, but not Whis. Really, all Cell would need to do is train to catch up to Beerus, imo. He's designed to be the perfect fighter, and I think he has an overwhelming unseen potential.
His subsequent explosions don't have to be as massive as his first one, he just needs to spam explosions good enough to give him repeat zenkais.
Retired.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:22 pm

Imagine what would come of blowing himself up for 4 months!
Retired.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:58 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Imagine what would come of blowing himself up for 4 months!
While I have nothing against Resurrection "F," I do love the joke that four months is just the ideal amount of training in Dragon Ball, and that it should never be overshot.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:19 am

Cipher wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Imagine what would come of blowing himself up for 4 months!
While I have nothing against Resurrection "F," I do love the joke that four months is just the ideal amount of training in Dragon Ball, and that it should never be overshot.
Especially given the irony that 4 months wasn't enough training for Freeza. If he trained for 5 months, he would have easily won.
Retired.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:52 am

Vegeta said he cannot he the boost if he is the one doing it so I guess if you try harming yourself and consciously know that you have a chance of surviving your body for some unknown reason says "lol no".
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:01 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Keep in mind that he blew himself up in his Semi-Perfect form and reformed with a greater body than his initial perfect one. If he self-destructed using this body and the ki it was capable of generating, there is no way his nucleus or whatever would have gone unharmed; he would have been completely vaporized.

His subsequent explosions don't have to be as massive as his first one, he just needs to spam explosions good enough to give him repeat zenkais.
It has to qualify as "near death" though so if Cell is precisely blowing himself up with just the exact amount of force he knows will keep his nucleus safe, it probably won't work, because he wasn't coming close to death.

I know this doesn't make sense, but nothing about Cell's return makes sense. It's by far the biggest instance of pure contradictory, uncaring, superhumanly-convienent PIS in the whole story.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:32 pm

As mentioned above already, Cell would experience much more gains if he were to have properly trained himself. But since he pretty much acts like if he was the unholy offspring of Vegeta and Frieza, he would almost certainly never be able to truly become what he claims to be in his whole existence.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:19 am

Maybe he will reach the level of fat buu. People forget that there is a HUGE difference between fat buu & SPC.

Or he dies.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:52 pm

The Zenkai's tailed off pretty quickly, though. So I don't think repeatedly getting close to death would have powered up Cell many more times. It pretty much showed that Gohan stopped receiving those boosts, or they had shrunk to be unnoticeable, in the Boo arc. While they can get stronger by fighting stronger people, which is slightly different, there is no real way for them to get huge gains anymore.

dragon ball truth

Post by dragon ball truth » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:37 am

Hitiro wrote:The Zenkai's tailed off pretty quickly, though. So I don't think repeatedly getting close to death would have powered up Cell many more times. It pretty much showed that Gohan stopped receiving those boosts, or they had shrunk to be unnoticeable, in the Boo arc. While they can get stronger by fighting stronger people, which is slightly different, there is no real way for them to get huge gains anymore.
What zenkais did gohan get in the buu arc? maybe the one after the draining by spoppovich and yamu, his revival, and maybe after the earth was restored; to me the one when dende healed him after the fight with majin gotenks Piccolo buu didnt count cause that didnt seem to be a fatal injury to me, but i dont know where youre drawing this conclusion from, someones words?

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:22 am

dragon ball truth wrote:
What zenkais did gohan get in the buu arc? maybe the one after the draining by spoppovich and yamu, his revival, and maybe after the earth was restored; to me the one when dende healed him after the fight with majin gotenks Piccolo buu didnt count cause that didnt seem to be a fatal injury to me, but i dont know where youre drawing this conclusion from, someones words?
He's specifically meaning following him being healed up by Dende following the beating he took from Gotenks Buu. From outward appearance, he was clearly left to a point essentially the same as some of the near-death situations we've seen the likes of Goku and Vegeta in during the Freeza arc, yet Buu specifically states that Gohan hadn't changed a bit despite Dende healing him up.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:39 pm

You can't spam it like that. That's pretty much self harm which doesn't work.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

dragon ball truth

Post by dragon ball truth » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:11 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:
dragon ball truth wrote:
He's specifically meaning following him being healed up by Dende following the beating he took from Gotenks Buu. From outward appearance, he was clearly left to a point essentially the same as some of the near-death situations we've seen the likes of Goku and Vegeta in during the Freeza arc, yet Buu specifically states that Gohan hadn't changed a bit despite Dende healing him up.
So youre saying that the 'beating' aka never confronting upfront but dodging and countering, anyway vegeta said mortal wound; in which gohan never had in that fight vegeta had a hole blown in him then healed so that resulted in a power zenkai, gohan had his head crushed then healed so that resulted in a power zenkai, gohan was impaled by an energy draining device then healed which resulted in a power zenkai, vegeta was beaten much worse than gohan in the ginyu saga then healed then recieved a massive zenkai, gohan got his neck nearly broken and healed and his power hadnt shown any notable increase til randomly after frieza killed Kuririn, so moot point kid the big difference here is buu saying what he said means nothing cause its not as if gohan powered up for him to gauge his power or anything, then the point that buu wasnt feeling all gohans power anyway proven by the fact he was surprised by his power increase after he absorbed gohan so yeah.

No one knew vegeta was so strong til he powered up after coming to fight 4th form frieza so i guess that matters too right?

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:45 am

dragon ball truth wrote:
So youre saying that the 'beating' aka never confronting upfront but dodging and countering, anyway vegeta said mortal wound; in which gohan never had in that fight vegeta had a hole blown in him then healed so that resulted in a power zenkai, gohan had his head crushed then healed so that resulted in a power zenkai, gohan was impaled by an energy draining device then healed which resulted in a power zenkai, vegeta was beaten much worse than gohan in the ginyu saga then healed then recieved a massive zenkai, gohan got his neck nearly broken and healed and his power hadnt shown any notable increase til randomly after frieza killed Kuririn, so moot point kid the big difference here is buu saying what he said means nothing cause its not as if gohan powered up for him to gauge his power or anything, then the point that buu wasnt feeling all gohans power anyway proven by the fact he was surprised by his power increase after he absorbed gohan so yeah.

No one knew vegeta was so strong til he powered up after coming to fight 4th form frieza so i guess that matters too right?
That is the debatable one, given that Gohan wasn't even conscious at the time that Dende healed him, his injuries were that severe, while Vegeta was, while injuried, still able to stand and move around with some extreme difficulty. Buu had thrown him up out of the ground, and Dende rushed to him while he was essentially lying there, battered and torn up. Others sensing and watching the fight were even commenting that Buu was "killing him" in terms of how badly he was being beaten, so he was clearly in terrible shape by the time Dende healed him up. Additionally, when Buu made his comment about Gohan's strength not changing, Gohan had not only popped back up (from being healed up) but he was in preparation to fight Buu again, so it would make no sense for Gohan to not be expressing that additional power if he had received a near-death power-up.

Furthermore, Buu didn't act surprised at all by how much stronger he had become when he absorbed Gohan. His reaction to it was being excited at how much stronger he was than before (in comparison to Gotenks Buu), and that there was no time limit now to impede his actions. Nothing about his reaction indicated or even suggested that he was surprised by the power he received from absorbing Gohan.

dragon ball truth

Post by dragon ball truth » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:29 am

Darkprince410 wrote:
dragon ball truth wrote:

That is the debatable one, given that Gohan wasn't even conscious at the time that Dende healed him, his injuries were that severe, while Vegeta was, while injuried, still able to stand and move around with some extreme difficulty. Buu had thrown him up out of the ground, and Dende rushed to him while he was essentially lying there, battered and torn up. Others sensing and watching the fight were even commenting that Buu was "killing him" in terms of how badly he was being beaten, so he was clearly in terrible shape by the time Dende healed him up. Additionally, when Buu made his comment about Gohan's strength not changing, Gohan had not only popped back up (from being healed up) but he was in preparation to fight Buu again, so it would make no sense for Gohan to not be expressing that additional power if he had received a near-death power-up.

Furthermore, Buu didn't act surprised at all by how much stronger he had become when he absorbed Gohan. His reaction to it was being excited at how much stronger he was than before (in comparison to Gotenks Buu), and that there was no time limit now to impede his actions. Nothing about his reaction indicated or even suggested that he was surprised by the power he received from absorbing Gohan.
Gohan wasnt conscious? Maybe you should watch the episode again, Vegeta was definitely injured worse since he had a whole chunk taken out of him, gohan was scratched up but definitely not at risk for death, and 'killing him' its quite known that statements in dragon ball z can be outlandish; even though i remember no such statement. Not really, it wasnt til vegeta came to fight frieza that he even powered up, til then no one sensed that he had gotten any power up; buus comment was just an empty comment that has been missing from several cases of revivals or healings before then I've never heard anyone instantly be commented on power increasing after a healing other than from themselves and inadvertently after they emit that power increase (i.e power up) which never happed.

Buu definitely acted surprised or we can use your manga which you like using so much to 'prove me wrong' he said,"i powered up a lot this time, and this time a dont have a time limit" why would he say such a thing or be happy in his power increase and he knew exactly how much power gohan had, buu even said something earlier in the fight which contradicted his statement about gohans so called 'no power up' about him possibly having more power and thus more reinforces what i just said, he said,"without your father holding your hand, you really are nothing" as if gohan was only fighting on half anyway without the goku rooting and guidance he had any other time so yeah i highly doubt gohan was ever at full in the first place so why would he have needed to 'power up' anyway if he was never at full power?

Buu fought gohan at 2 tiers, 1 where he was far out-powered by gohan, and another where equal or higher than gohan slightly; so after measuring gohan at those 2 extremes, why would he have had such a reaction; he didnt react that way when he first absorbed fat buu as evil buu, or even when he absorbed gotenks, or the fat kai or the south kai, but gohan? Good try, but not.