Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:54 am

Kirbopher wrote:Hey folks, so I got some bad news.

I spoke with a couple folks who worked on the alternate Canadian dub for DBZ Kai. For their privacy, I won't be stating names. All I'll say is, it's some people who haven't been brought up in this thread at all; this was entirely new information.

The only new, and relevant, thing I found out...is that this dub isn't coming out. That may seem hard to believe, considering the money spent to produce it, but it was created for a very specific purpose and that purpose has more of less passed. It's a shame, as I know from 6 years of discussion and 180 pages of this thread ongoing, mostly because of little snippets of information that've leaked out, a lot of people wanted to see it. Unfortunately, while the whole thing is basically 'done', it looks like it's gonna stay in the vault forever. Sorry to disappoint.
A little part of me just literally died inside there, that is truly devastating considering the hard work the actors, musicians, writers, sound engineers likely put in to creating this dub, and all the money spent on it... for nothing, no one ever other than anyone who was involved ever even saw a snippet of the product.

Kirbographer, if you are still in touch with the producers do you know if we could even pay for digital copies of the dub? I honestly (and I know many other people in this thread) would chip in to help them recoup at least some of the money spent on this dub and be able to enjoy it regardless of edits or anything else, even if it will never fulfil its intended purpose (which I assume was to be broadcast on Canadian TV).

Thank you for the info, even if this takes time to sink in it's really better than being left in the dark wondering what is going to happen.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Funimation Level 1.2 Replacement Cover
- Showdown DVD single

If interested PM with offers

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:55 am

I spoke with a couple folks who worked on the alternate Canadian dub for DBZ Kai. For their privacy, I won't be stating names. All I'll say is, it's some people who haven't been brought up in this thread at all; this was entirely new information.

The only new, and relevant, thing I found out...is that this dub isn't coming out. That may seem hard to believe, considering the money spent to produce it, but it was created for a very specific purpose and that purpose has more of less passed. It's a shame, as I know from 6 years of discussion and 180 pages of this thread ongoing, mostly because of little snippets of information that've leaked out, a lot of people wanted to see it. Unfortunately, while the whole thing is basically 'done', it looks like it's gonna stay in the vault forever. Sorry to disappoint.
What a pity. The dream is dead. It's shame the dub will never see the light of day. Part of me hoped that after all the years of speculation and rumour the dub would eventually get a release, but it seems it won't be happening. I was kind hoping that the long period the dub was stuck in post=development hell for, it would come out limbo and eventually get released. But unfortunately, the Ocean Dub of Kai will forever remain one of those projects that "happened", but never actually "happened".

And this thread has just lost its meaning.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:18 am

Been keeping up-to-date with the thread but I've not had anything to add personally.

Oh god am I disappointed today :( very sad news. Just hard to understand after hearing Brian Drummond's recent interview where the production coordinator stated that they weren't sure where it was going yet.

The opportunity was truly missed when Toei didn't option the show for Kix. That was the moment.

But I'm interested in finding out what the 'specific reason' for producing this dub was.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:36 am

SX10 wrote:Been keeping up-to-date with the thread but I've not had anything to add personally.

Oh god am I disappointed today :( very sad news. Just hard to understand after hearing Brian Drummond's recent interview where the production coordinator stated that they weren't sure where it was going yet.

The opportunity was truly missed when Toei didn't option the show for Kix. That was the moment.

But I'm interested in finding out what the 'specific reason' for producing this dub was.
Probably because of Canadian content reasons. If this isn't airing on Canadian TV, then I would appreciate if the producers could allow the episodes to be streamed on the internet.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:05 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
SX10 wrote:Been keeping up-to-date with the thread but I've not had anything to add personally.

Probably because of Canadian content reasons. If this isn't airing on Canadian TV, then I would appreciate if the producers could allow the episodes to be streamed on the internet.
Most of us have assumed that Canadian content laws was a big part of it, but I can't help but feel there is more to it than that. I mean the Funimation dub of Kai hasn't aired on Canadian TV so it's not like there's any competition for the Ocean dub, at least when it comes to TV.

I agree, I'd love to see this dub be released by either streaming or digital download. Perhaps the first few episodes could be streamed for a price to gauge interest, I would certainly pay for it. If the dub is never going to air on TV the producers have nothing to lose, if anything it would be in the best interests of the producers, actors and everyone else involved for their work to be seen and to get the credit where its due for the work they put in.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:48 am

As frustratingly disappointing this is, at least we finally have closure on the subject. Guess Lee Tockar was given incorrect information https://twitter.com/leetockar/status/782425399997239296
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:24 am

I wonder who commissioned Ocean to produce this dub. I have this feeling that it was someone at Funimation.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:11 am

Well that is really disappointing news. But it's been so long it's expected now. Oh well.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:08 pm

So I remember a while back that someone had claimed that the first few episodes of this dub had aired somewhere in Asia. What ever became of that claim? Has anyone been able to find any shred of evidence that these first few episodes ever aired?

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:13 pm

thaman91 wrote:So I remember a while back that someone had claimed that the first few episodes of this dub had aired somewhere in Asia. What ever became of that claim? Has anyone been able to find any shred of evidence that these first few episodes ever aired?
Probably a lie, as far as I know Toonami Asia does air DBZ (not kai) but it is the remastered Funi dub.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Valerius Dover
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:31 pm

thomas1up wrote:
thaman91 wrote:So I remember a while back that someone had claimed that the first few episodes of this dub had aired somewhere in Asia. What ever became of that claim? Has anyone been able to find any shred of evidence that these first few episodes ever aired?
Probably a lie, as far as I know Toonami Asia does air DBZ (not kai) but it is the remastered Funi dub.
They air the Funi dub from the bricks there? Whoa, didn't know that little tidbit. Just out of curiosity, which score do they use?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:29 pm

Quantum-Kakarrotto did say someone at Megacon told him the first three episodes aired in Korea and were available to download online, but I honestly can't bring myself to believe this claim, especially now (I don't blame QK, he was after all telling us he had doubts, and wouldn't believe it unless he was shown proof). It all seemed very fishy (the guy had to send him huge download files, no broadcaster was specified, etc) and the ever reliable Kei17 told us about Korean content laws that would make such a situation extremely unlikely.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:36 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
thomas1up wrote:
They air the Funi dub from the bricks there? Whoa, didn't know that little tidbit. Just out of curiosity, which score do they use?
I admittedly haven't really heard the American score for anything before Faulconer but I am assuming this score is the American score included on the bricks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=998PLeUuTx4
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:54 pm

I'm still really shocked over this. The first thing that keeps coming up in my mind is the financial aspect. Somebody paid for all those people involved with that 98-episode dub (actors, writers, engineers, editors, musicians), and their work won't even be seen or heard. From a financial perspective, this dub may hold the world record for the most colossal waste of money in the history of dubbing. With all do respect to the producers, whose idea was it to pay for all that before a TV deal had even been secured for this TV-only dub?

I would hope it'll still get a release someday even if it's just to justify the money that was spent.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:17 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I'm still really shocked over this. The first thing that keeps coming up in my mind is the financial aspect. Somebody paid for all those people involved with that 98-episode dub (actors, writers, engineers, editors, musicians), and their work won't even be seen or heard. From a financial perspective, this dub may hold the world record for the most colossal waste of money in the history of dubbing. With all do respect to the producers, whose idea was it to pay for all that before a TV deal had even been secured for this TV-only dub?

I would hope it'll still get a release someday even if it's just to justify the money that was spent.
I agree. What a waste of money. Perhaps we'll see this dub if we demand the producers to stream the dub on the internet or pay for digital releases. And since this dub has a replacement score (which will turn some fans off), someone will have to try and sync the audio and video with either the Yamamoto or Kikuchi music. The voice actors will be disappointed when they find out that this dub isn't airing on Canadian TV.

Valerius Dover
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:12 pm

thomas1up wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:
thomas1up wrote:
I admittedly haven't really heard the American score for anything before Faulconer but I am assuming this score is the American score included on the bricks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=998PLeUuTx4
Yep, that's Johnson's music. Wow, surprised they actually use the US score. And it seems they're in the Android portion now. I'm guessing the Faulconer legal battle doesn't apply there? Oh, well, don't wanna drive this too off-topic, but this is an interesting thing to know. :D
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:34 pm

What a damn shame.

Had this been revealed just a little earlier, I could have asked Sabat or Schemmel about this at Edmonton Expo. But alas.

It's weird, I'm not surprised but it's still shocking to now know we will never get it. A smart company would take the opportunity to stream these somewhere. Netflix, Crunchyroll, Hulu, etc.

My honest guess is Canadian television, at the time Ocean Kai was pitched to them, was not ready to bring anime back front and center. Yes, we still have Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh! Even Yo-Kai Watch. But granted, these are titles with a whole bunch of merchandising to back them up. I am always seeing commercials for them on YTV and Teletoon. DBZ as a whole doesn't have this much promotion in comparison. Perhaps this was a reason it never got picked up.

If only we knew all the things that happened behind the scenes here. But after 6 years, we now know the fate of Ocean Kai. R.I.P.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:52 pm

I don't want to bring down the mood any lower than it has already been brought down, but it's also pretty telling of the anime industry in general, and how far it has fallen from what it once was. One of the most successful anime titles of all time, and one of the few that actually has a "mainstream" audience...couldn't get a TV deal.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:18 pm

You know what? I pm'd Quantum-Kakarrotto and he had told me that he still had not received anything from this source.

But then I asked if he had attended Metrocon (was it Metrocon? There was definitely a con in florida). Now he told me had and I further enquired. He said he had asked some hypothetical questions to (I'm assuming) Richars Ian Cox, and received some 'hypothetical answer'.

Intriguing righr? Well that was all I got. Nothing more. Asked for details, but zilch. Don't see gim posting round here anymore.

Now there's this!

Can't shake the feeling we haven't heard the last of this though...
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:15 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I don't want to bring down the mood any lower than it has already been brought down, but it's also pretty telling of the anime industry in general, and how far it has fallen from what it once was. One of the most successful anime titles of all time, and one of the few that actually has a "mainstream" audience...couldn't get a TV deal.
It's more a statement on the Canadian television industry than anything else. Canada is one of the only English-speaking markets to have not seen Kai air on a local broadcaster.
8000 Saiyan wrote:What a shame this isn't going to be released. I was hoping to see some of the best Canadian voice actors redeem themselves after a rushed dub. I feel bad for them since McNeil and Tockar seemed to be proud of their work. At least Ocean is going to dub Gintama, and I hope they do their best on that dub. Thank you for this news, Kirbopher. Since this dub won't be released, the voice actors can reveal the characters they played.
The Funimation-Crunchyroll deal has me uneasy on that dub ever surfacing. We're getting to the point where I'm starting to wonder about World Trigger, too.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.