Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SX10 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:27 pm

Um, nope. The recycled music was out of rushed necessity, there's a brand new and original score that's been composed for this. And according to one of the actors, the score sounds bad ass. Not trying to hype it up as everyone has their own tastes, but this is what I was told.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3602
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:46 pm

SX10 wrote:Yu-Gi-Oh and more!"

It's slim pickings, but it's a start? Remember to always specify that we are after the Ocean dub :mrgreen:
I would never do this, because it would come across as rude, but man would I love to request the Ocean dub and include with it some ratings comparisons for when Kai was still on Toonzai/Vortexx along with Yu-Gi-Oh...because Kai had consistently higher ratings. So it's like...if they're considering Yu-Gi-Oh, why not Kai?

I mean, I can think of one semi-good reason, which is that Kai is just not a new thing anymore, but...still.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
NitroEX
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Not America

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:52 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I don't want you guys to hype up the dub's soundtrack. We know who's doing it. They recycle music tracks from unrelated shows. There's a good chance any of Kai's original music can be heard in Scan2Go or LBX.
I hear what you're saying, we shouldn't go in expecting the replacement music to blow us away but in comparison to LBX and Scan2Go I think Kai seems to have a much higher budget behind it. I'd wager they'll use new music this time.
8000 Saiyan wrote: They're probably not recycling Megaman music anymore. And why didn't they make original music for those shows instead of recycling music from that cartoon? Are they so proud of it that they think it's the best score for a cartoon?
They wouldn't have had the time to create a new soundtrack from scratch, they had to keep up with Funimation's Z dub and Cartoon Network's demand for new episodes. Keep in mind that during the Saban dub they weren't even the one's handling music for the show, that was left to Saban and Shuki Levy. For the Westwood dub they had to cover everything themselves and do it at a rapid pace, in spite of that they still managed to add a couple new tracks and the addition of the Monster Rancher music certainly helped when they got to the Buu arc. I think they did a good job with it all things considered, under a different company it probably would have sounded far worse.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1889
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:58 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
SX10 wrote:Yu-Gi-Oh and more!"

It's slim pickings, but it's a start? Remember to always specify that we are after the Ocean dub :mrgreen:
I would never do this, because it would come across as rude, but man would I love to request the Ocean dub and include with it some ratings comparisons for when Kai was still on Toonzai/Vortexx along with Yu-Gi-Oh...because Kai had consistently higher ratings. So it's like...if they're considering Yu-Gi-Oh, why not Kai?

I mean, I can think of one semi-good reason, which is that Kai is just not a new thing anymore, but...still.
To add to that you could make an argument Yu-Gi-Oh is no longer a "new thing" unless Teletoon is using 5Ds.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
NitroEX
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Not America

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:03 pm

Yugioh sells merch, so does Beyblade. That's probably the reason.

It's most likely why Toei are planning to roll out toys for Super's eventual release. I suppose it makes the show easier to sell to the networks for whatever reason. Maybe they offer them residuals or something.

User avatar
SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SX10 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:05 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
SX10 wrote:Yu-Gi-Oh and more!"

It's slim pickings, but it's a start? Remember to always specify that we are after the Ocean dub :mrgreen:
I would never do this, because it would come across as rude, but man would I love to request the Ocean dub and include with it some ratings comparisons for when Kai was still on Toonzai/Vortexx along with Yu-Gi-Oh...because Kai had consistently higher ratings. So it's like...if they're considering Yu-Gi-Oh, why not Kai?

I mean, I can think of one semi-good reason, which is that Kai is just not a new thing anymore, but...still.
Hahaha, you never know, it could definitely help :p I'm just happy to finally see fans e-mailing these people and letting them know we want to see this show!
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2713
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:05 pm

I was actually asking why they didn't make music for Scan2Go and LBX instead of recycling Megaman music for those shows. But my best guess is because of money reasons.

I guess we'll have to endure another edited Ocean DBZ dub again. And Drummond said that he wanted to dub Kai uncut...pity we'll never see a full uncut version of Kai with some of the finest Canadian voice actors.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
OmegaRockman
Regular
Posts: 666
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:09 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
SX10 wrote:Yu-Gi-Oh and more!"

It's slim pickings, but it's a start? Remember to always specify that we are after the Ocean dub :mrgreen:
I would never do this, because it would come across as rude, but man would I love to request the Ocean dub and include with it some ratings comparisons for when Kai was still on Toonzai/Vortexx along with Yu-Gi-Oh...because Kai had consistently higher ratings. So it's like...if they're considering Yu-Gi-Oh, why not Kai?

I mean, I can think of one semi-good reason, which is that Kai is just not a new thing anymore, but...still.
To add to that you could make an argument Yu-Gi-Oh is no longer a "new thing" unless Teletoon is using 5Ds.
Actually, Arc V would be the "new thing" for Yu-Gi-Oh. 5Ds ended in 2011 if I remember right.

User avatar
Arian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Arian » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:14 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
SX10 wrote:Yu-Gi-Oh and more!"

It's slim pickings, but it's a start? Remember to always specify that we are after the Ocean dub :mrgreen:
I would never do this, because it would come across as rude, but man would I love to request the Ocean dub and include with it some ratings comparisons for when Kai was still on Toonzai/Vortexx along with Yu-Gi-Oh...because Kai had consistently higher ratings. So it's like...if they're considering Yu-Gi-Oh, why not Kai?

I mean, I can think of one semi-good reason, which is that Kai is just not a new thing anymore, but...still.
To add to that you could make an argument Yu-Gi-Oh is no longer a "new thing" unless Teletoon is using 5Ds.
When they say Yu-Gi-Oh!, they're referring to Arc-V, the newest series in the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm
Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

User avatar
NitroEX
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Not America

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:17 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I was actually asking why they didn't make music for Scan2Go and LBX instead of recycling Megaman music for those shows.
As far as I'm aware there are only a handful of Megaman tracks reused in LBX, most of which were 1-2 second musical cues which only appeared one time each, the majority of that show had original music as far as I can tell. I haven't bothered looking at Scan2Go but literally nobody has mentioned Megaman music being in it so I see no reason to assume there is any.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1889
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:19 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
I would never do this, because it would come across as rude, but man would I love to request the Ocean dub and include with it some ratings comparisons for when Kai was still on Toonzai/Vortexx along with Yu-Gi-Oh...because Kai had consistently higher ratings. So it's like...if they're considering Yu-Gi-Oh, why not Kai?

I mean, I can think of one semi-good reason, which is that Kai is just not a new thing anymore, but...still.
To add to that you could make an argument Yu-Gi-Oh is no longer a "new thing" unless Teletoon is using 5Ds.
Actually, Arc V would be the "new thing" for Yu-Gi-Oh. 5Ds ended in 2011 if I remember right.
Apologies, I meant to say Arc V, just been out of touch with Yu-Gi-Oh since GX but I knew the current series had 5 in the title somewhere.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single

If interested PM with offers

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 895
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Kakacarrottop » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:08 am

NitroEX wrote: Keep in mind that during the Saban dub they weren't even the one's handling music for the show, that was left to Saban and Shuki Levy. For the Westwood dub they had to cover everything themselves and do it at a rapid pace
Actually it was Ron Wasserman, who wasn't even employed by Saban anymore when Funi outsourced the music to him. I believe Saban/Levy were only involved with the Rock the Dragon theme song. Wasserman claimed he contacted Funi telling them he wanted to keep making music for the upcoming third season, but they turned him down (because they already had discovered the more convenient Dallas-based Bruce Faulconer) and told him they were "changing the sound". If the Westwood dub wasn't so rushed, then Ocean/Westwood Media feasibly could have got in touch with him and hired him to make more kickass music for the show. If that did indeed happen then the whole thing would have been a better, more enjoyable product.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1889
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:42 am

Kakacarrottop wrote:
NitroEX wrote: Keep in mind that during the Saban dub they weren't even the one's handling music for the show, that was left to Saban and Shuki Levy. For the Westwood dub they had to cover everything themselves and do it at a rapid pace
Actually it was Ron Wasserman, who wasn't even employed by Saban anymore when Funi outsourced the music to him. I believe Saban/Levy were only involved with the Rock the Dragon theme song. Wasserman claimed he contacted Funi telling them he wanted to keep making music for the upcoming third season, but they turned him down (because they already had discovered the more convenient Dallas-based Bruce Faulconer) and told him they were "changing the sound". If the Westwood dub wasn't so rushed, then Ocean/Westwood Media feasibly could have got in touch with him and hired him to make more kickass music for the show. If that did indeed happen then the whole thing would have been a better, more enjoyable product.
I disagree, I think the replacement score by Tom Keenlyside and John Mitchell was more fitting for Dragon Ball than Faulconer. Placement is debatable though.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single

If interested PM with offers

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 895
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Kakacarrottop » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:56 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Kakacarrottop wrote:
NitroEX wrote: Keep in mind that during the Saban dub they weren't even the one's handling music for the show, that was left to Saban and Shuki Levy. For the Westwood dub they had to cover everything themselves and do it at a rapid pace
Actually it was Ron Wasserman, who wasn't even employed by Saban anymore when Funi outsourced the music to him. I believe Saban/Levy were only involved with the Rock the Dragon theme song. Wasserman claimed he contacted Funi telling them he wanted to keep making music for the upcoming third season, but they turned him down (because they already had discovered the more convenient Dallas-based Bruce Faulconer) and told him they were "changing the sound". If the Westwood dub wasn't so rushed, then Ocean/Westwood Media feasibly could have got in touch with him and hired him to make more kickass music for the show. If that did indeed happen then the whole thing would have been a better, more enjoyable product.
I disagree, I think the replacement score by Tom Keenlyside and John Mitchell was more fitting for Dragon Ball than Faulconer. Placement is debatable though.
I too prefer their music over Faulconer, but the stuff from the Saban dub will always be my personal favorite. It was just so intense and perfectly fit all the action scenes. My ideal soundtrack for the show would probably be a mixture of the Wasserman music and the Keenylside/Mitchell score.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

User avatar
90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1969
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:41 am

Kakacarrottop wrote:If the Westwood dub wasn't so rushed, then Ocean/Westwood Media feasibly could have got in touch with him and hired him to make more kickass music for the show. If that did indeed happen then the whole thing would have been a better, more enjoyable product.
This 100%. For me the music in the Westwood dub was the worst thing about it, even more so than the rushed performances. If Ron Wasserman had been hired to make the score it would have been easier to look past the other issues. I didn't find the Westwood dub to really be decent until the Fusion and Kid Buu sagas, which is when they finally introduced lots of new music that actually sounded good and fit the show.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2713
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:18 am

I'll give the replacement score a chance if it's done well and the placement of it fits.
Attitudefan wrote:If this is true, the biggest thing on my mind now is if FUNi's dominance in the anime market overseas—in the west—is actually a good thing or actually has hurt the anime industry in the long run.

I'm in the camp that Funimation is overused nowadays. Don't get me wrong, I like some of their dubs, but Vancouver and LA are just as good in the dubbing department, and I prefer the latter talent pools to the former.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here
Posts: 2282
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:26 pm
Location: Hail

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:03 pm

Funimation is actually why I'm afraid Ocean's Gintama dub will never surface.

For those unaware, 51 episodes of Gintama were discovered on the CRTC's database back in April. That was kind of astonishing for a few reasons: 1) No English version of the Gintama TV anime had been announced, 2) the series isn't new, which means a dub was kind of written off by everyone, 3) the series isn't easy to adapt into English, 4) the last time an English dub for Gintama material came out (a compilation film put out by Sentai), it was dubbed in Texas. A few months later Crunchyroll announced that they would be producing physical releases with English audio, and that Gintama would be one of the series represented. Then a derailment happened. Funimation and Crunchyroll announced a partnership that would see the former assume control of the latter's properties for home video/dubs, while the latter assumes controls of the former's simulcast subbed options. Of the former Crunchyroll home video projects, Funimation only immediately committed themselves to Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress.

If you're a fan of watching anime in English, that partnership should be concerning. Funimation's dubs (especially their broadcast productions) can be all over the place in voice acting and script adaptation, so giving more work to them will likely worsen that. To top it off, the deal means even more consolidation in the voices you'll hear in anime. Anime pretty much only gets dubbed in Texas and LA now. While I'm sure Crunchyroll were going to dub stuff in LA and Texas too, they obviously weren't against Canadian productions. Outside of small continuations (Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail, InuYasha: TFA) and an extremely low key release of Kingdom, none of the other traditional anime players have done that in years.

Back to Gintama. Despite having 51 English episodes finished, Funimation hasn't announced its home video launch. That can mean a few things: they're waiting for a clear spot in their schedule (hopefully), they're questioning if the show is even viable for home video, or they plan on redubbing it with their own actors. You might think it would be crazy to throw 51 episodes in the trash ... but this thread is living proof that even anime companies have pissed more money into the wind. :cry: But why re-dub it? Well, Gintama is a long show (currently sitting at 312 episodes, with more on the way), which means 51 episodes is only a fraction of the overall show. Small enough to where if Funimation believes Gintama could be a hit, it would probably be worth it to redub them so that they wouldn't have to send future episodes to Ocean.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3602
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:16 pm

Just to chip in with an "other side of the coin" comment...

I spoke with a dubbing director (not based in Canada) who believes that Ocean technically could get more anime dubs under their wing, but are choosing not to. Ocean doesn't just dub anime, they also serve as the recording studio for lots of pre-lay (North American) animation shows, and money-wise, pre-lay pays way, way, way more. For pretty much everybody involved. So, a possible explanation for the decline of Canada-based dubs is quite possibly that the studios who normally used to do dubbing projects in Canada are just busier with work that, quite frankly, pays more. That's a key difference between those studios, who do different kinds of projects in addition to anime dubs, and a company like FUNimation who is--for the most part--anime-exclusive.

I have nothing against LA or Texas-based dubs, but as an audience member, I miss when dubbing locations were a little more spread out. Vancouver, Toronto, and New York all have some fantastic actors in their talent pool that I'd love to hear more of...but--kind of like the Ocean dub of Kai--one can't always get what they want.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2713
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:16 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Just to chip in with an "other side of the coin" comment...

I spoke with a dubbing director (not based in Canada) who believes that Ocean technically could get more anime dubs under their wing, but are choosing not to. Ocean doesn't just dub anime, they also serve as the recording studio for lots of pre-lay (North American) animation shows, and money-wise, pre-lay pays way, way, way more. For pretty much everybody involved. So, a possible explanation for the decline of Canada-based dubs is quite possibly that the studios who normally used to do dubbing projects in Canada are just busier with work that, quite frankly, pays more. That's a key difference between those studios, who do different kinds of projects in addition to anime dubs, and a company like FUNimation who is--for the most part--anime-exclusive.

I have nothing against LA or Texas-based dubs, but as an audience member, I miss when dubbing locations were a little more spread out. Vancouver, Toronto, and New York all have some fantastic actors in their talent pool that I'd love to hear more of...but--kind of like the Ocean dub of Kai--one can't always get what they want.

Cathy Weseluck said in an interview with Trevor Devall that she thought that Vancouver wasn't getting more anime work because of economy reasons.

The Toronto and New York talent pools will always be given slack because of their infamous DiC and 4Kids dubs. The New York talent pool has dubbed Gundam Unicorn though, and that dub was one of the best Gundam dubs along with Gundam 00's dub (I don't think it was bad, unpopular opinion). The Toronto talent pool unfortunately has never made a great dub IMO, although they did a good job with Medabots. Perhaps they need better voice directors and more voice actors.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5425
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:55 pm

Godgoku95 wrote:To me it's like losing a relative.
That's actually a really insensitive comparison to make.

Post Reply