Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kinisking
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by kinisking » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:01 pm

ABED wrote:
He pushed his pride aside and trained for once in his life, not the best example.
And made the same mistake.
Although it's correct that he did make the same mistake, I would still say his character developed slightly.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:10 pm

kinisking wrote:
ABED wrote:
He pushed his pride aside and trained for once in his life, not the best example.
And made the same mistake.
Although it's correct that he did make the same mistake, I would still say his character developed slightly.
But not fundamentally and it didn't make him more interesting. I'm neither for nor against development, it all depends. There are times where I think it's necessary, like Scully eventually dropping her skepticism after everything she saw over the years, but Goku doesn't fall into that category.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:16 pm

I prefer Future Trunks with blue hair. While I don't care for the retcon, I think it's a very cool look for him. Of course, that doesn't mean I dislike his purple hair.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:38 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:I prefer Future Trunks with blue hair. While I don't care for the retcon, I think it's a very cool look for him. Of course, that doesn't mean I dislike his purple hair.
I also think he looks better with the blue hair. I still prefer the purple hair because it's more unique and I associate it with him though.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:40 pm

Doctor. wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:Easy. Freeza.
It was never about pride for Freeza. It was laziness. And he made the same mistake anyway. That was hardly a significant personal development, his decision to try and grow stronger was made pretty casually. That's not really significant character development, Freeza was the exact same person in RF that he was 20 years ago.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:26 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
Doctor. wrote: It was never about pride for Freeza. It was laziness.
I never really got behind this argument. I mean if you were the best at something, never defeated and never practiced a day in your life, then why does that constitute as lazy? I would be more inclined to agree if Freeza knew there were tons of people out there who could threaten him and he still chose not to train. From what RoF implies he's only aware of 2.

But then again the dude literally moves around with a hover chair when he can fly at supersonic speeds. (inb4 lightspeed debate and character feats comparisons).
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:55 pm

MarCas92 wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:
I never really got behind this argument. I mean if you were the best at something, never defeated and never practiced a day in your life, then why does that constitute as lazy? I would be more inclined to agree if Freeza knew there were tons of people out there who could threaten him and he still chose not to train. From what RoF implies he's only aware of 2.

But then again the dude literally moves around with a hover chair when he can fly at supersonic speeds. (inb4 lightspeed debate and character feats comparisons).
But having Beerus bossing him around, and him being okay with it kind of seems to go against Freeza's character. For someone who takes pride in calling himself "the strongest in the universe", it seems kind of odd that Freeza apparently didn't mind having to play second banana to the God of Destruction.

Considering that just 4 months of training was apparently all it took for Freeza to become significantly more powerful than Majin Boo, it seems a little weird that he never decided to train sooner and more frequently. If he did, it seems like he possibly could've rivaled Beerus.

MatrixChap
Beyond Newbie

Post by MatrixChap » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:45 pm

Here goes. Feel free to correct me if any aren't actually unpopular. :mrgreen:
- Super Saiyan 2 Goku is the coolest Goku in my opinion, and the form itself is my favorite.
- Whis is quite boring (note that I've only seen Battle of Gods and played Xenoverse and XV2).
- GT isn't as bad as people say.
- Omni-King (forgot how to spell his name correctly) has an uninteresting design.
- I kind of like Black's Xenoverse 2 dub voice, as well as Hit's.
...well, that's good for now.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:00 am

Anime Kitten wrote:I prefer Future Trunks with blue hair. While I don't care for the retcon, I think it's a very cool look for him. Of course, that doesn't mean I dislike his purple hair.
I'm of the opposite opinion.

The purple/lavender hair color gave a visual representation of Trunks's hybrid genotype.

Given that I still have not read any official explanation as to why his hair is now blue, it should be classified as more of a plot-hole than a retcon.

A retcon at least tries to explain a change.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:19 am

MatrixChap wrote:Here goes. Feel free to correct me if any aren't actually unpopular. :mrgreen:
- Super Saiyan 2 Goku is the coolest Goku in my opinion, and the form itself is my favorite.
- Whis is quite boring (note that I've only seen Battle of Gods and played Xenoverse and XV2).
- GT isn't as bad as people say.
- Omni-King (forgot how to spell his name correctly) has an uninteresting design.
- I kind of like Black's Xenoverse 2 dub voice, as well as Hit's.
...well, that's good for now.
That's a pretty popular opinion. I remember The Monkey King had a pretty great rant about.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:28 am

Freeza should've been stronger in Resurrection 'F'. As intense as his training was (literally pulling Tagoma apart), and considering how strong he was at birth, he logically should've reached the realm of the gods in, at most, half the time he did in ROF.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:39 am

Anime Kitten wrote:Freeza should've been stronger in Resurrection 'F'. As intense as his training was (literally pulling Tagoma apart), and considering how strong he was at birth, he logically should've reached the realm of the gods in, at most, half the time he did in ROF.
Sarcasm?
It's clear freeza should have surpassed berrus by looking at videos roshi did for a min..
He was given four months to nerf him..
Dammit toriyama
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:30 am

I don't care what colour Trunks's hair is, my only problem with it is... Why? Did Toriyama just like Trunks having blue hair?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:19 am

Esfír Dedragón wrote: The purple/lavender hair color gave a visual representation of Trunks's hybrid genotype.
I've never understood how this made sense to people. Blue + black just equals darker blue.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:45 am

WittyUsername wrote:
MarCas92 wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:

But having Beerus bossing him around, and him being okay with it kind of seems to go against Freeza's character. For someone who takes pride in calling himself "the strongest in the universe", it seems kind of odd that Freeza apparently didn't mind having to play second banana to the God of Destruction.

Considering that just 4 months of training was apparently all it took for Freeza to become significantly more powerful than Majin Boo, it seems a little weird that he never decided to train sooner and more frequently. If he did, it seems like he possibly could've rivaled Beerus.
Because he's lazy.

Freeza was angered and bitter over Beerus' power, but probably figured "well the guy is asleep most of the time so it's not like I'll really have to deal with him much..." Any excuse to keep from doing work. The whole Namek conflict could have been resolved in seconds if he just got out of his chair and handled business himself, but instead he ordered all of his henchman to take care of things and watch them fail one by one, giving his enemies the ladder they needed to slowly reach him, and even went so far as to call the Ginyu Force to the planet, just so he wouldn't have to do anything.

This is why Toriyama stated Freeza could "never" surpass the God of Destruction. Resurrection 'F' focused on the flaws of the heroes' fighting styles, and as prodigious as Freeza's power was, he just wasn't a true warrior, so he'll never ever be able to reach that full potential. As Vegeta said, the moment he achieved his Golden form, he went straight to Earth. He didn't even bother testing it out much, let alone mastering it. That's laziness.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:57 am

WittyUsername wrote:
MarCas92 wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:

Perhaps he didn't believe that training to defeat someone known as "The God of Destruction" would bear fruit. Plus, it's not as if Freeza had any idea just how strong he'd get ahead of time.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:13 am

MarCas92 wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:

Whether you've never been defeated or not, not practicing is lazy. Being unwilling to put effort or work in fits the definition of "lazy".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WobbuSleuth

Post by WobbuSleuth » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:14 am

Rock the dragon not that bad intro. It's kinda catchy and cheesy and it works.
(I didn't watch any of English dubs, except for some clips on Youtube, so I don't have any nostalgia for opening)
Sorry for my bad english. )=

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:21 pm

nite_jay wrote:
Esfír Dedragón wrote: The purple/lavender hair color gave a visual representation of Trunks's hybrid genotype.
I've never understood how this made sense to people. Blue + black just equals darker blue.
But Bluma's hair is purple in the manga, so it makes sense there. Why in the anime they didn't have Trunk's have hair blue from the get go or just keep Bluma's hair purple (Toriyama was consistently drawing hair with it), is a question that will probably never get an answer to.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:23 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:But Bluma's hair is purple in the manga
In the original manga, Bulma's hair is still usually blue. Although it occasionally switches to purple, and once red when Bulma was pissed at Yamcha.
Retired.