So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.
User avatar
PhoenixEX
Regular
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:02 am
Location: New York

So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by PhoenixEX » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:44 am

By how huge they're making it out to be by having every universe involved and having such high stakes it almost feels like it may be the last one. Do you guys think that after this arc is done that'll be it for Super or will we get more Dragon Ball content, Super or not, after this arc? What are your opinions?
One World. 🌐 🕊

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:54 am

PhoenixEX wrote:By how huge they're making it out to be by having every universe involved and having such high stakes it almost feels like it may be the last one. Do you guys think that after this arc is done that'll be it for Super or will we get more Dragon Ball content, Super or not, after this arc? What are your opinions?
I don't think so as they probably would have announced. The length of the arc should give Toriyama enough time to think on new ideas.

User avatar
MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN
Posts: 814
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:32 pm

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by MagmonKai » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:07 pm

It will begin on Episode 77, so I'm sure it will run until at least episode 100. I think there will be more arcs after that, but maybe 2-3 max. That would put it around the original DB episode count.

JungleHunter511
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:36 pm

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by JungleHunter511 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:17 pm

No, because Toei is referring to this arc as the next chapter. If it were the last one, they would say final chapter.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by sintzu » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:40 pm

JungleHunter511 wrote:No, because Toei is referring to this arc as the next chapter. If it were the last one, they would say final chapter.
Welcom to the site. :clap: :thumbup:

I agree, if it was the last one it would've been announced as that and even when we get there they'll just start a new show without Toriyama.

I don't think we need to worry about Toriyama or Super leaving/ending before we reach his 10th arc and with this being the 5th we have a long way to go before that should even be thought of.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here
Posts: 2326
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:00 pm

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:44 pm

Toriyama is now the Stephen King of Japan. He can literally jot down random words on a napkin and Toei will be glad to eat it up. I dont see him going anywhere as I'm sure the work isnt labor intense and I'm also sure he is banking.


Btw by the first comment i mean his ideas and stories dont even need to be "great" now. His name and franchise sell it regardless.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

User avatar
Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 7:44 pm
Location: On the Track to NoWhere

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by Boo Machine » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:49 pm

Not really. I think about the Saiyan and Freeza arcs and how it expanded into a whole different planet and opened up space for us. Yet in the next arc we just went right back down to earth to fight robots. So I don't really see how involving all the universes make it seem final. If anything introducing us to all the universes would open up more doors. Because they never had a reason to go to another universe except MAYBE U6. Now perhaps they'll find other reasons to travel.

Though all that is just a guess on my part. I know nothing and can never predict anything out of the series.

Plus I think Super is doing well enough that they won't want to end it if it can keep it up.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10315
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:48 pm

No I think Super is just entering it's second phase with the new OP etc

User avatar
Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6572
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:15 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:58 pm

As of now, I believe it won't end..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Abra kadabra
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:11 pm

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by Abra kadabra » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:02 pm

Boo Machine wrote:Not really. I think about the Saiyan and Freeza arcs and how it expanded into a whole different planet and opened up space for us. Yet in the next arc we just went right back down to earth to fight robots. So I don't really see how involving all the universes make it seem final. If anything introducing us to all the universes would open up more doors. Because they never had a reason to go to another universe except MAYBE U6. Now perhaps they'll find other reasons to travel.

Though all that is just a guess on my part. I know nothing and can never predict anything out of the series.

Plus I think Super is doing well enough that they won't want to end it if it can keep it up.
Akira Toriyama does what he likes. If he watches a new star wars film and loves it, it will influence the next arc

Dragon Ball Ireland
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5094
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Sligo, Ireland
Contact:

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:05 pm

If I had to put money on it I would say no, unless Supers ratings drop considerably but as of now I don't see that happening.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula will be writing :thumbup:

Check out my website https://www.dragonballinternational.com/

User avatar
MisteryOne
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1006
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:27 am

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by MisteryOne » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:14 pm

I would like it to be the last arc before EoZ. To be honest after Goku Black is really difficult for them to top the last villain (I mean, that guy killed all the gods we are going to meet now), so I think they should have focused in universe exploring before the tournament...But since we are getting the tournament so soon I think we should take a rest after it. I really want a timeskip.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:43 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:If I had to put money on it I would say no, unless Supers ratings drop considerably but as of now I don't see that happening.
It is Toei's most important show when you include its worldwide success. They will do everything they can to make sure Toriyama continues to make new arcs.

User avatar
Michelle91
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 15820
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by Michelle91 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:50 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
PhoenixEX wrote:By how huge they're making it out to be by having every universe involved and having such high stakes it almost feels like it may be the last one. Do you guys think that after this arc is done that'll be it for Super or will we get more Dragon Ball content, Super or not, after this arc? What are your opinions?
I don't think so as they probably would have announced. The length of the arc should give Toriyama enough time to think on new ideas.
The other final arcs never had any major announcements. The Shadow Dragon arc in GT ended without nothing announced which is why everyone was surprise and how much buzz there was with the anime fandom at the time. I would not be surprise if Toriyama is out of ideas and this is the final story written by him.
She/Her
Profile Pic: Girl Laharl from Disgaea

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:40 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
PhoenixEX wrote:By how huge they're making it out to be by having every universe involved and having such high stakes it almost feels like it may be the last one. Do you guys think that after this arc is done that'll be it for Super or will we get more Dragon Ball content, Super or not, after this arc? What are your opinions?
I don't think so as they probably would have announced. The length of the arc should give Toriyama enough time to think on new ideas.
The other final arcs never had any major announcements. The Shadow Dragon arc in GT ended without nothing announced which is why everyone was surprise and how much buzz there was with the anime fandom at the time. I would not be surprise if Toriyama is out of ideas and this is the final story written by him.
Dragon ball will still continue though. Dragon Ball GT was failing however Super is now their most important show becuase of its international appeal.

User avatar
Mazingerdestro
Regular
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:42 am

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by Mazingerdestro » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:38 pm

With the numbers answer sales going good the chance of ending in a year are nonexistent. No reason to bring a show back just to immediately cancel it

User avatar
Xeztin
I Live Here
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:15 pm
Location: Toyotarō's Place

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by Xeztin » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:11 pm

sintzu wrote:
JungleHunter511 wrote:No, because Toei is referring to this arc as the next chapter. If it were the last one, they would say final chapter.
Welcom to the site. :clap: :thumbup:

I agree, if it was the last one it would've been announced as that and even when we get there they'll just start a new show without Toriyama.

I don't think we need to worry about Toriyama or Super leaving/ending before we reach his 10th arc and with this being the 5th we have a long way to go before that should even be thought of.
Honestly, If they did stop Super and made up a new story without Toriyama, we probably wouldn't know the truth because they'd just attach his name to it anyways because his name sells. Even if he just "Over looks" things, technically they could say he's a big part in it when he really isn't. There can only be one winning universe right? There's no way every universe but ours will die. That just defeats the whole purpose of the God's and such being added to the story that made Super in the first place. Goku will just end up talking Zen-Oh into bringing them back or a thousand more universes will be created to give us more stories. There's no way they'd kill off rivals like Hit, Champa, Cabba, etc without bringing them back. Once a "good" character has a interesting plot in the story they'll never truly die, like Cabba and Hit.

Also I have a feeling if we are fishing through all the universes we will run into Zarama the creator of the Super Balls.

User avatar
UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here
Posts: 2242
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:47 pm

No way, the Dragon Ball franchise is doing to well right now for them to even think about ending it. They'll end it when it stops making them money.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by Doctor. » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:07 pm

May be the last one of Super. Feels really "end-game" stuff to me, and DB never changed an OP before its last arc.

User avatar
PhoenixEX
Regular
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:02 am
Location: New York

Re: So will the Universe Survival Arc be the last one?

Post by PhoenixEX » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks for the reassurance everyone! This is definitely a show I don't want ending anytime soon.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Post Reply