"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheAldella » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:32 am

NitroEX wrote:I've noticed that McConnohie's King Kai also sounds too restrained during scenes where King Kai is visibly angry. I can only blame poor direction at this point.
Nothing will match japanese kaio in this arc though in not matching the faces
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

noham-el
Not-So-Newbie

Post by noham-el » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:40 am

High-pitched screams was pretty awesome! Bruce Lee-esque (or Nozawa-esque ofc, or even Hokuto No Ken-esque) !
If only all the screams was like that, that powerful at least... Curious to hear a High-pitched Kamehameha from Lex Lang one day :thumbup:

The episode 5 was pretty decent. I like the voice of Gregory, and Kaio/King Kai is really wonderful.
Goku & Beerus are the voices that I appreciate least... Lex Lang's Goku has potential, but for now... its hard to ignore negative points...

I can't wait to see Episode 10 and more. To hear adjusted interpretations and to hear the Goku vs. Beerus... I don't know what to expect... It can be weird, comical, awkward, maybe good, maybe bad,... Clearly, it will be interesting... I hope it will be surprising.
"Sorry for my bad english."

usotsuki

Post by usotsuki » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:45 am

Of course a former Kenshiro would do Kenshiro yells :P

Surprisingly the only edit I could find was a short chop right after the commercial break.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:20 am

Well Lex I have given you 5 episodes and I'm sorry but your Goku is miscast 100%. As is Beerus too. The way he delivered "Super Saiyan 3" was just awful and on top of that his screams were pretty bad and Beerus like I said from the start doesn't have any of the character and is just some overly sounding British guy. The most important characters for this series Beerus, Goku and Vegeta and in my opinion they're the worst voices so far in this dub everyone else sounds pretty decent to good. Vegeta has the most potential out of those three to be decent-good but Goku and Beerus feel like lost causes.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:31 am

KaijiTang wrote:Taking Vegeta to a less growly, more personalized place is a change I very much look forward to implementing. From what I understand, there was an issue of continuity as a previous version of the show had aired already over there. It felt like we all had to start in some sort of ballpark, but as we grow into the roles and gather more experience in the booth I'm sure we'll begin to make it our own! Let me tell ya, we've had a heck of a time with this project, haha.

As we were recording around the time Vegeta goes to train with Whis when the episodes began airing, please expect Vegeta to begin to chill out under the space wizard's training. :)
Nice. Sounds like a similar situation to what we got with Ayres' Freeza in Kai. He debuted with an impersonation of Young's Freeza (tho, it sounded more like Newstone's Freeza, whom Young had been the replacement for herself), but three episodes later, it became a near-universally loved voice for Freeza. And by "universally", I mean from the four-way split of Nakao, Newstone, Young, and LittleKuribo fans.

I'm excited to maybe hear the best English-speaking Vegeta yet! :) I just wish the names and pronunciations didn't have to be so wrong...but I guess I they gotta keep everything "consistent" with the FUNi dub... Tho, I'd say that's a bit of a lost cause what with how many times they've changed things back and forth.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:55 am

Lex's screams are still very weak even during the transformation to Super Saiyan 3. He's much better at doing the Kenshiro esque screams but that's not needed for Goku and especially not needed for the type of voice he gives to him and they just sound so forced. Honestly, he was just miscast. I gave him 5 episodes, I'm just not a fan
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:31 am

Certainly. His voice is not fitting for Gokuh in the slightest. I find his acting to be quite good, but it's really a lost cause. I personally don't think any amount of improved script or directing would fix the problem. However, attempts wouldn't be unwanted of course. There is always room for improvement. If Lang can find a way to sound like a "deep-voiced Gokuh", then that's great. For example, Schemmel has come a long way in understanding the character, and altho his voice is also unfitting of Gokuh, you can finally hear Gokuh in his voice as of Kai. It still rubs me the wrong way, but not like it used to. That kind of improvement can surely be possible with Lang's Gokuh as well. I hope to hear that super-happy, care-free manchild from the sticks that we know and love in the Bang Zoom dub.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

usotsuki

Post by usotsuki » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:44 am

At least that is what he's aiming for.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:29 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:
ProjectAlpha22 wrote:I'm sorry, I love Bosch as much as the next guy, but all I would be able to hear is Joseph Joestar beating the shit out of a Cat. Actually, now that I type it out...
You mean Jonathan, right? I get what you mean though. I personally don't mind JYB, but I can see why people call him overexposed. Not sure if he'd be right for Goku anyway.
Even if JYB isn't the best LA choice for Goku in my opinion, I believe he would have done far better in the role than Lang. Even Lowenthal could have been better.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Welp, Episode 5 has sealed the deal for me that Lex Lang just doesn't work as Goku. He screams and yelling are so weak and there seems to an echo effect that is added on when he powered up to SSJ3 and for nearly all his screaming and yelling afterword, which I found very distracting and annoying.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:17 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Nightmare Wheel wrote:
ProjectAlpha22 wrote:I'm sorry, I love Bosch as much as the next guy, but all I would be able to hear is Joseph Joestar beating the shit out of a Cat. Actually, now that I type it out...
You mean Jonathan, right? I get what you mean though. I personally don't mind JYB, but I can see why people call him overexposed. Not sure if he'd be right for Goku anyway.
Even if JYB isn't the best LA choice for Goku in my opinion, I believe he would have done far better in the role than Lang. Even Lowenthal could have been better.
Best casting for Goku LA wise would of been Erik Scott Kimmerer

Can someone please mix some clips from Magi to Goku that would be pretty cool. I just think a younger high pitched Goku would of been a better choice. Keeping it male of course though and ESK fits this.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:01 am

While I may find Lang's Gokuh to be too deep, it's not a bad voice in and of itself, and I like the acting, and I can put up with it just like I put up with Schemmel's. It's just a matter of how many good voices there are versus bad. Anyhow, this is surprisingly high-quality for an Asian English dub. In addition, some of the voices are fantastic: Kaioh, Bulma, Trunks, Videl, No. 18, Whis, Beerus, Shu, and Mai. While others are just "meh" (mostly, but not always, becuz they just sound like FUNimation's voices, which is bad becuz those voices are already bad as-is): Gokuh, Goten, Vegeta, Pilaf, Gohan, Kulilin, the Turtle Hermit, Oolong, Mister Satan, and Piccolo. And then there are horrible ones: Chichi when she yells, Yamcha, Elder Kaiohshin, Majin Boo, and the narrator.

I'd also like to add, that while the script could use some work, sometimes it's got some nice touches. Like Gokuh's "Tune in next time, yeah?". Like-wise, the use of the name Shenlong is quite nice, but then they don't use Son, they use Tien Shinhan instead of Tenshinhan, Hercule instead of Mister Satan, and King Kai instead of Kaioh. Also, they amazingly pronounce Bulma correctly, but mispronounce Gokuh, Saiyan, Whis, and even Hercule.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:06 am

Looks like they blew to many episodes off too early. No episode today. Probably gonna be weekly now on like FUNi's.

Edit- Well never mind Ep6 did air after all!

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:26 am

Is it just me or direction and script got a lot better in this episode?? Anyway Yamcha isn't bad after all, apart from hint of surfer accent he is good!!! I Thought everyone sounded better this episode compared to what we have heard so far!!!

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:23 am

But toonami asia version is just too much heavy on censor guys! i don't know if it's just for india or if its same everywhere in asia this version is currently airing.. Especially during king vegeta part (Don't know who his VA is but he is great BTW) they chopped out most of that scene and only kept his screams! And I prefer BZ's buu anyday over funimation one...

usotsuki

Post by usotsuki » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:38 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Anyhow, this is surprisingly high-quality for an Asian English dub.
Probably because it's done in Los Angeles by established pros, instead of actually being dubbed in Asia. ;)

ProjectAlpha22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ProjectAlpha22 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:19 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Nightmare Wheel wrote: You mean Jonathan, right? I get what you mean though. I personally don't mind JYB, but I can see why people call him overexposed. Not sure if he'd be right for Goku anyway.
Best casting for Goku LA wise would of been Erik Scott Kimmerer

Can someone please mix some clips from Magi to Goku that would be pretty cool. I just think a younger high pitched Goku would of been a better choice. Keeping it male of course though and ESK fits this.
DOH! I meant Jonathan. Thanks for the catch, man!
-Insert Something Creative-

ProjectAlpha22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ProjectAlpha22 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:24 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Welp, Episode 5 has sealed the deal for me that Lex Lang just doesn't work as Goku. He screams and yelling are so weak and there seems to an echo effect that is added on when he powered up to SSJ3 and for nearly all his screaming and yelling afterword, which I found very distracting and annoying.
Ok, so I'm not crazy, there WAS an echo. I sincerely dislike Lex's performance in episode 5, and this sealed the deal of my opinion. Sorry, Lex, you just don't do it for me, no hard feelings.
-Insert Something Creative-

GokuTheMaster389

Post by GokuTheMaster389 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:03 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Beerus like I said from the start doesn't have any of the character and is just some overly sounding British guy.
I don't agree with him sounding British, although something about this statement triggered a vague memory in me. I seem to recall hearing a similar voice from my childhood that I can't quite put my finger on. Thomas the Tank Engine comes to mind; perhaps Sir Topham Hatt or Gordon?

Either way, the more I hear his Beerus, the more it sounds like a voice fitting for a character in a PBS kid's show to me now. It sounds a little too friendly for a God of Destruction. Also, as Ajay and Lord Beerus have said, there's a distinct lack of range in his voice. Something interesting I noticed in episode 5 was that he sounded a lot like Jason Douglas when he said "Perhaps you are a brilliant strategist" during the standoff towards the end of the fight.