Your personal way of saying names.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Your personal way of saying names.

Post by simtek34 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:53 pm

For me, it's a mix of FUNi and JO. For example, when talking, I say Krillin, while writing, I say Kuririn. For names that are the same but spelled differently, I use the JP, like Vegetto, Freeza and Boo. I mostly say either Tenshinhan or Tien Shinhan. Not just Tien. Ten if I feel like it.

If I'm bored, I use honorifics, like Goku san and Kaioshin sama

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Your personal way of saying names.

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:58 pm

I used to go with the English dub names but now I always use the Japanese ones.For example,Butta instead of Burter or Kuririn instead of Krillin.The only thing I really can't stop using over its Japanese counterpart is the term ''Androids'',whereas the correct way to refer to them is ''Artificial Humans''.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:03 pm

For the most part, I just stick to whatever officially-English-adapted name preserves the intended pun or meaning best. That means "Kuririn" over "Krillin," for example, and it especially applies to cases where Funimation completely missed the point, like the Ginyu Force or Bardock's teammates. The one exception that comes to mind is "Bulma" over something like "Blooma" because, well, practically nobody uses the latter, and the former was straight from the manga itself.

The only example of a "personal" name adaptation I can think of is my use of "Tsufrian," which is how I decided to adapt the race's name for GTR. That's because the more common "Tsufruian" seems too vowel-heavy and Funimation's "Tuffle" sounds dumb and does nothing to preserve the "fruit" pun.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:11 pm

Kuririn written, pronounced pretty much similiar to Krillin
Bulma written as Bulma and also pronounced
Son Gokuu written as Son Goku or Goku and pronounced as same
Vegeta written as Vegeta and either pronounced with a hard or soft g
Vegetto and Gogeta written and pronounced with a "jee"
Zamasu or Zamas written, pronounced as Zamas
Freeza or Freezer written, pronounced as Freezer
Cell written, pronounced as such
Boo written, pronounced as such
Baby written, pronounced as such
Tenshinhan
Paikuhan
Piccolo
Yamchu/Yamcha
Chiaotzu/Chaozu
C17, C18, ... 17, 18, ... Lapis, Lazuli, pronounced as C17, C18 or Lapis and Lazuli
Super 17 as Super 17
Super Yi Xing Long as "Super Yee Zing Long" or "Super Yee Shin Long"
Shenlong as Shenlong
Chichi as Chichi
Roshi as Muten Roshi
Saiyajin, Tsufurujin ...
Beerus written, Beerus pronounced, same with Super Saiyajin Rose with the most German-to-original sounding mix possible to make the "Beer + German virus pronounciation" and "German Rose pronounciation" as close as possible. I mean, I am German. But I am still mixing two languages. Good for Beerus that "Bier" (Beer in German) is pretty much pronounced as in English, just that the "r" in Virus in German is not as soft as in English beer)
and many more
Last edited by Cetra on Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Krillin and Master Roshi, but aside from that I stick to the Japanese names for everyone else.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:26 pm

MyNiggaGoku wrote:The only thing I really can't stop using over its Japanese counterpart is the term ''Androids'',whereas the correct way to refer to them is ''Artificial Humans''.
I mean, even though it's more correct, it's a pretty clunky term, so I also generally just say androids.

Anyway, the ones I use depend on who I'm talking to. If I someone is unfamiliar with the sub names, I stuck to the dub names(Although I often use the Son family name, since that's a fairly well-known one), but otherwise, I generally favour the sub style, with a few exceptions; because of the confusion between Kame Sen'nin, Turtle Hermit, Muten Roshi, and Master Roshi, I generally just call him Roshi. I flip-flop between Krillin and Kuririn depending on my mood, and I generally say Tenshinhan or Tien(So, I don't say Tienshinhan, or Ten).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:40 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
MyNiggaGoku wrote:The only thing I really can't stop using over its Japanese counterpart is the term ''Androids'',whereas the correct way to refer to them is ''Artificial Humans''.
I mean, even though it's more correct, it's a pretty clunky term, so I also generally just say androids.

Anyway, the ones I use depend on who I'm talking to. If I someone is unfamiliar with the sub names, I stuck to the dub names(Although I often use the Son family name, since that's a fairly well-known one), but otherwise, I generally favour the sub style, with a few exceptions; because of the confusion between Kame Sen'nin, Turtle Hermit, Muten Roshi, and Master Roshi, I generally just call him Roshi. I flip-flop between Krillin and Kuririn depending on my mood, and I generally say Tenshinhan or Tien(So, I don't say Tienshinhan, or Ten).
I'm exactly the same with you when it comes to Roshi & Tenshinhan.Ten in particular I despise.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:51 pm

MyNiggaGoku wrote:I used to go with the English dub names but now I always use the Japanese ones.For example,Butta instead of Burter or Kuririn instead of Krillin.The only thing I really can't stop using over its Japanese counterpart is the term ''Androids'',whereas the correct way to refer to them is ''Artificial Humans''.
"Butta" makes me think of old Jewish ladies.

For me it depends. For Z era guys I use mostly Funimation dub names, though I still use Kaioshin. Earlier as I read the Manga before the DB anime was really available, I use a lot of the names that Viz used.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:59 pm

I use either the English or the Japanese names.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:02 am

Honestly, I just pronounce the names as there pronounced in the Funimation dub. No need for anything else.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:47 am

Goku I pronounce it as Gokuu
Videl as Viidel
Piccolo as Picoro :P
Vegeta as Vegeta (as in english pronunciation instead of Vejeta or Vegueta spanish pronunciations)
Freeza as Freeza
Zen'ou as Sen'oh (I try to pronounce the Z I swear :P )
Saiyan as Saiyajin
Beerus as Birus, Beers and Birusu at times
SSJ Rosé as as you would say it in japanese
Black as Burakku (I just like how it sounds :D )
Zarbon as Sabon
Vegetto as VeGEto
Zamasu as Samasu

Thats all I can think for now. :)

as for the others I either say their names as how I write them here (Gyumaou, daishinkan, Chichi, Kaioshin) or I stick with their spanish names (Kamesenning as Roshi or Maestro Roshi, Baby as Bebi)
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:38 am

I write out long vowels, but only in Japanese names. Roshi is Roushi; Goku is Gokuu; Zeno is Zenou,but Vegeta isn't bejiita.
For the disputed names, I'll just list: Blooma, Tenshinhan, Kuririn, Yamucha, Android, Saiyan(correctly), Vegerot.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:35 am

Super Sonic wrote:
MyNiggaGoku wrote:I used to go with the English dub names but now I always use the Japanese ones.For example,Butta instead of Burter or Kuririn instead of Krillin.The only thing I really can't stop using over its Japanese counterpart is the term ''Androids'',whereas the correct way to refer to them is ''Artificial Humans''.
"Butta" makes me think of old Jewish ladies.

For me it depends. For Z era guys I use mostly Funimation dub names, though I still use Kaioshin. Earlier as I read the Manga before the DB anime was really available, I use a lot of the names that Viz used.
What do you mean? Butta/Burter IS an old Jewish lady.I thought it would be obvious by now.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:14 am

That's funny because I never actually talk about DB out loud. Except for a tiny little bit here and there with my friend who used to watch it back in the day (he is fan enough to buy a keychain or something, but he's not crazy obsessed with it), I haven't really spoken about DB in real life since roughly 2005.

I guess I use Funimation's names out loud, but use both in my mind and write using Steve Simmons's spelling for most names.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:27 am

Really depends on who I'm talking to.

A few people that I work with are fans, so I typically stick to dub terms around them, though the occasional "Saiya-jin" or "Tenshinhan" comes out.

I know a lot of people here have transitioned to SAI-yan and Artificial Humans. I typically still say "Saiya-jin" and "Jinzoningen" just because it's what I'm so used to, and I don't say them enough in actual speech to need to change them.

The only time I can really think of using honorifics is saying "Kami-sama", just because it's what every single character in the series says so I just consider it apart of his name now.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:58 pm

When speaking orally with people, I use whatever names I think they'd be the most familiar with.

If they watched only the dub back in the day, I'll use "Supreme Kai" and "Say-in". If I'm chatting with a subbie I'll use "Kaioshin" and "Sigh-in". If I'm talking with my mostly-dubbie coworkers who are also watching Super subbed, I'll use both Supreme Kai and Kaioshin pretty interchangably.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:11 pm

If I'm around a casual fan or somebody who's not super familiar with DB I use dub names but when I'm typing I use sub names.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:13 pm

Does anyone go around saying Bejita and Bidel?

Imagine in real life going to someone and saying you like Bejita and they'll look at you dumbfounded.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:20 pm

But they sound the same. Its when written that the mess comes up.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:05 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:But they sound the same. Its when written that the mess comes up.
Do you mean Bejiita and Vegeta etc? Cause those are totally not the same sounds. SAYin and SIGHin are also different, and Kaioushin to Supreme Kai are obviously different words. Only things like Freeza to Frieza are only spelling concerns.