Where's the "U" in "Krilin"... klirin... hum?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

noham-el
Not-So-Newbie

Where's the "U" in "Krilin"... klirin... hum?

Post by noham-el » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi everyone!
Just: Why Krilin or Krillin?
Or even Clylyn, Klilin, Kliliyn, Klilyn, Krilen, Kririn, Crili around the world and through some few decades?

According to viewtopic.php?t=12853, Toriyama doesn’t really explain the ethymology of that name. But:
kuri=chestnut
Lin=Shaolin
(so, Kurilin)
OR, "may be" Rin... for 少林/Shourin. But when you look for 少林 on Google, it's all about "Shōrin-ryū" (a school/monastery) or it redirects you to the "Shaolin" (the chinese word) results & pages. So... Shōrin is a word used only for the school/monastery and doesn't exist stand alone ("A Shorin", it is a thing?) ?

Anyway, so his name may be Kuri-rin(?), but according to his international name, let's say Kuri-Lin.
Kurilin
K(u)rilin
Krilin
(Krillin in America, but Krilin in the Latin/the rest of the World)

Here's my question... Where's the U?
Where's the U in Krilin, Krillin, or even Clylyn, Klilin, Kliliyn, Klilyn, Krilin, Krilen, Kririn, Crili,...

Is there a reason why this 'U" is not present in most interpretations?

Thank you in advance for your crucial answers to this important question(s). :thumbup:
Last edited by noham-el on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"Sorry for my bad english."

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Where's the "U" in "Krilin"... klirin... hum?

Post by simtek34 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:35 pm

His name is Kuririn.

FUNimation translated (Or changed the name to) Krillin.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:39 pm

simtek34 wrote:His name is Kuririn.

Maybe the fact that Funimation used the Latinamerican Spanish translation of the original Japanese script. In Latinamerica, Kuririn is known as Krilin.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

noham-el
Not-So-Newbie

Post by noham-el » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:10 pm

simtek34 wrote:His name is Kuririn.

Hm... Impossible.
American dubs dates from the end of the 1990's (+-1996) with Ocean's Dragon Ball Z, 1995 if we consider the BLT Dub's of the 13 episodes of Dragon Ball. In 1999 with FUNimation.
Harmony Gold dub is from the early 90's, but Krilin was Bongo in there.

French dub, March 1988 with Dragon Ball. And Europe (Spain,...) followed the months after. With Krilin on it.
Same with the French edition of the manga, in 1992.

Latin America, 1992-3 with "Zero y el Dragón Mágico". 1996 for the faithful dub (i'm right?). According to successoroffate, with Krilin on it too
Last edited by noham-el on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Sorry for my bad english."

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:31 pm

successoroffate wrote:Maybe the fact that Funimation used the Latinamerican Spanish translation of the original Japanese script. In Latinamerica, Kuririn is known as Krilin.
Is there any evidence showing that FUNimation scripts were actually translated from Latin American scripts? We know that FUNi did use LatAm footage, but I doubt they actually used the LatAm scripts.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:46 pm

I'd say the answer is in this topic. If most countries went along with the Engrish scripts of variations thereof, they'd have seen "Crilin". I guess it's just a matter of how Japanese is pronounced and turned into Latin script: if we compare literal romanizations of kana and their adaptations, "u"s may be lost from our point of view. For instance, Furīza/Freeza or Torankusu/Trunks.
Bajosexto wrote:
successoroffate wrote:Maybe the fact that Funimation used the Latinamerican Spanish translation of the original Japanese script. In Latinamerica, Kuririn is known as Krilin.
Is there any evidence showing that FUNimation scripts were actually translated from Latin American scripts? We know that FUNi did use LatAm footage, but I doubt they actually used the LatAm scripts.
I doubt this too. Didn't they mention that they had Engrish scripts to use as a base?
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:00 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:I doubt this too. Didn't they mention that they had Engrish scripts to use as a base?
As far as I know, though I'm not completely sure, FUNi had poorly translated Engrish scripts from Toei.
Last edited by Bajosexto on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:16 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
I learned about that fact here in the forum, If my memory doesn't fail I recall seeing VegettoEX or another one of the higher ups saying it. I'll look it up.
Edit: Oh wait. I misspoke. They used the Latin Footage, not the script.
My bad I apologize
Last edited by successoroffate on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:20 pm

I do know that the Krillin spelling was already planned. I found an old 1995 Dragon Ball yoy commercial where the narrator for the ad says Krillin

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:16 pm

Because its still there! When you say "Krillin" you still say Kurilin but since its said so fast and seamlessly it seems that you dont. Japanese people say it "Slowly" so you can tell there is a Ku syllable.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:25 pm

That first "ku" even in the Japanese name is unstressed, so dropping it in localized spellings, or even spellings that have cropped up in Japan over the years (which, as pointed out above, include rough English scripts and summaries shipped out with the anime), isn't much of a stretch.

If you hear an English-speaker really lean on the "ku" when saying "Kuririn," they're pronouncing it wrong.

To be honest, for reasons the first post points out, "Kuririn" has always been one of those "Don't look too hard" accepted romanizations, as to best preserve the pun, it would be "Kurilin," (in accordance with recognized romanizations of "kuri" and "Shaolin"). Just romanizing the Japanese kana is simpler though.

The best way to pronounce "Kuririn," even in English, is to give it those ambiguous r/l Japanese phonemes.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:39 am

Cipher wrote:That first "ku" even in the Japanese name is unstressed, so dropping it in localized spellings, or even spellings that have cropped up in Japan over the years (which, as pointed out above, include rough English scripts and summaries shipped out with the anime), isn't much of a stretch.

If you hear an English-speaker really lean on the "ku" when saying "Kuririn," they're pronouncing it wrong.

To be honest, for reasons the first post points out, "Kuririn" has always been one of those "Don't look too hard" accepted romanizations, as to best preserve the pun, it would be "Kurilin," (in accordance with recognized romanizations of "kuri" and "Shaolin"). Just romanizing the Japanese kana is simpler though.

The best way to pronounce "Kuririn," even in English, is to give it those ambiguous r/l Japanese phonemes.
Is there anybody who actually does this?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:20 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Cipher wrote:That first "ku" even in the Japanese name is unstressed, so dropping it in localized spellings, or even spellings that have cropped up in Japan over the years (which, as pointed out above, include rough English scripts and summaries shipped out with the anime), isn't much of a stretch.

Is there anybody who actually does this?
Many. Including instances in the Kanzenshuu podcast.

(Am drunk; there may be other examples.)

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:42 am

Cipher wrote: Many. Including instances in the Kanzenshuu podcast.

(Am drunk; there may be other examples.)
Huh, I'd never expect such a thing of a Kanzenshuu regular. Unfortunately I don't give enough of a fuck about the podcast to check.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:11 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:Huh, I'd never expect such a thing of a Kanzenshuu regular. Unfortunately I don't give enough of a fuck about the podcast to check.
Your candid apathy is... appreciated? I guess?
Cipher wrote:Many. Including instances in the Kanzenshuu podcast.
Anyway, do we really do that? I guess I'd call out Jake's usual "do as I explain, not as I literally say aloud" explaination. And Heath will be the first to admit tripping on things sometimes. As for me (and honestly I can only REALLY speak for myself) I make decent efforts too, and I very consciously don't try to overemphasize any particular syllable, so that might just be the normal result of the start of a word maybe feeling en extra oomph. And then there's Julian who's perfect and we all know it so whatever let's just all praise him.

This is another thread where I don't really "get" the question. I saw from searches that the question originated from fans in another language and they decided to take it here, so maybe there's just some stuff being lost in translation (and then lost in translation yet again). It all seems rather clear-cut to me: names get changed both by the original production company when sent out, and again when the licensee makes it. See: Toei sending out "Bills" and some countries using it as-is (Spanish-speaking), while others adapt it on their own (English-speaking). This is all very standard and you don't really need to think about it or investigate it too hard.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:38 am

I think that "Krillin" is a fine derivative of his name. There are times where it sounds about accurate in the Japanese version.

But to the point, Krillin is to Kuririn as Trunks is to "Turanksu."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:47 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:But to the point, Krillin is to Kuririn as Trunks is to "Turanksu."
Sorta, but not entirely.

"Torankusu" (well, トランクス) is the Japanese approximation of an actual English word. It makes complete logical sense to just use that original English word if we're talking/typing in English.

"Kuririn" (well, クリリン) is a made-up name. While not entirely confirmed, we pretty much know what the pun sources are: 栗 (kuri) as a "chestnut" source is referenced not only in the anime for his girlfriend Maron, but later in the manga as well for his daughter Marron. Kuri is also reused in Neko Majin Z for "Kuriza". The intent is pretty obvious across the board there. As such, it makes complete logical sense to preserve that "kuri" pronunciation and even spelling when adapting it into our alphabet.

... Unless you wanna go full-scale adaptation instead and maybe call him "Cheslin" or something? There's precedent for something like this in an official translation: Kuririn and Gohan get their smaller-sized battle armor sourced from a planet named リット (ritoru), which is a pun on the English word "little". Viz took the reference a step beyond and named it "Lilliput", the name of an island in Gulliver's Travels with tiny people.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:50 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Anyway, do we really do that? I guess I'd call out Jake's usual "do as I explain, not as I literally say aloud" explaination. And Heath will be the first to admit tripping on things sometimes. As for me (and honestly I can only REALLY speak for myself) I make decent efforts too, and I very consciously don't try to overemphasize any particular syllable, so that might just be the normal result of the start of a word maybe feeling en extra oomph. And then there's Julian who's perfect and we all know it so whatever let's just all praise him.
It should be said that I was basing that entirely on vague memories, and that even if said memories are correct, I don't think it's a consistent trend -- just something that pops up every once in a while with English-speakers working "Kuririn" into sentences with any kind of frequency.

(Praise Julian.)

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:38 pm

Yeah, I've always though "Kurilin" was a cool potential name. It certainly fits my mouth better than "Kulilin" or "Kuririn," though I always say Kuririn.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu