Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Char Aznable
Regular

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:19 am

I actually find the training part of the Saiyan Arc really unnecessarily long and drawn out. There's a lot of great moments in there, but I've always thought it overstayed its welcome.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:08 am

Char Aznable wrote:I actually find the training part of the Saiyan Arc really unnecessarily long and drawn out. There's a lot of great moments in there, but I've always thought it overstayed its welcome.
It's not for everyone, but for those of us who like that kind of thing, it's a major detriment to our viewing experience of Kai in particular.
Retired.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:25 am

The training part or really the whole Saiyan filler is probably the best/most tolerable filler. Some of the episodes particularly the Gohan ones were quite good.

Consider how awful the Namek filler was.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:43 am

Oh yeah, the Namek filler is absolutely horrible, but I think that's a given. I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, so this is the perfect thread! I think the content of the Saiyan filler for the most part is good, but I just feel it goes on for way too long. I admit I do get slightly bored with it, because I feel it drags.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:47 am

MasenkoHA wrote:The training part or really the whole Saiyan filler is probably the best/most tolerable filler. Some of the episodes particularly the Gohan ones were quite good.

I haven't watched the anime since it first aired in America so there's twenty years of fog in my memories and I still remember how awful that filler could get.

I was actually ready to quit watching the show. I remember the Freeza fight going on week after week and I was just waiting for Goku to go SSJ (spoiled by a toy commercial) and it wasn't happening. I was watching it at my friend's house and I told him I was going to quit watching after the episode we were watching and then naturally the preview for the next episode gave it away that it was finally going to happen.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:58 am

KorgDTR2000 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:The training part or really the whole Saiyan filler is probably the best/most tolerable filler. Some of the episodes particularly the Gohan ones were quite good.

I haven't watched the anime since it first aired in America so there's twenty years of fog in my memories and I still remember how awful that filler could get.

I was actually ready to quit watching the show. I remember the Freeza fight going on week after week and I was just waiting for Goku to go SSJ (spoiled by a toy commercial) and it wasn't happening. I was watching it at my friend's house and I told him I was going to quit watching after the episode we were watching and then naturally the preview for the next episode gave it away that it was finally going to happen.
See (another unpopular opinion), I was so enthralled by the lengthy Freeza fight. I remember tuning in every day and I was really excited. I knew in the back of my mind that Freeza survived that big attack that Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, or Goku (kind of in that order) just did, but my eyes were glued to the television when the smoke was still clearing wondering if the attack worked or not. I knew SSJ was a thing sort of, I've seen the toys, but I wasn't really 'spoiled' about it until later on as the fight was still airing (I remember they took some breaks during the fight for reruns, at least I think so, maybe I'm wrong) when I found fansites like DaizEX, Planet Namek, Ultimate DBZ Info Site, or DBZ Uncensored and basically spent the entire day surfing them. This was also how I was introduced to the Japanese version, especially Planet Namek which had all those low quality video clips I'd play on repeat all the time.

So if this thread has made me realize anything it's that when it comes to some fillers, maybe I have some weird taste. I do like the Freeza arc overall more than the Saiyan arc, that probably contributes to it too.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:28 pm

MajinMan wrote:DBS Goku is basically a giant wake up call to most fans. He IS Goku in his purest form. The only issue I have with DBS Goku is that they play up his stupid side a little too much. His selfishness is something that I don't mind at all. I enjoy it a lot, actually.

Dub Goku is so far away from who Goku really is that it's not even close. You can't tell me with a straight face that dub Goku is a more accurate version of Goku compared to DBS Goku.
I don't think so, people who complain about Goku's character in Super are not just fanatic Dub fans, most members in this forum certainly had watched the whole series with subs, so their complaints are valid. Goku doesn't look mature as he was in Z, his portrayal is Super is inconsistent, often making he look like a clown.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:39 pm

The Saiyan arc has the best fights in all of Dragon Ball and the highest stakes as well. The Freeza arc doesn't even compare, not to mention the other stuff.

Dragon Ball Super is actually quite enjoyable.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:49 pm

DBZ Macky wrote:The Saiyan arc has the best fights in all of Dragon Ball and the highest stakes as well. The Freeza arc doesn't even compare, not to mention the other stuff.

How were the stakes higher in the Saiyan arc?

The Saiyan arc fights being the best is hardly an unpopular opinion. I agree. They are among my favorites.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:52 pm

ABED wrote:
DBZ Macky wrote:The Saiyan arc has the best fights in all of Dragon Ball and the highest stakes as well. The Freeza arc doesn't even compare, not to mention the other stuff.

The Saiyan arc fights being the best is hardly an unpopular opinion. I agree. They are among my favorites.
1. Chiaotzu was permanently dead
2. Piccolo was permanently dead
3. Everyone who was dead was now permanently dead
4. Oh good job defeating Nappa Goku, now fight this guy who's like 4x stronger.
5. Good job beating him, there, he increased his power by 10x.
6. Good job cutting his tail, too bad he's still gonna fuck everyone in base.

First Nappa and then Vegeta just wouldn't fucking die.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Piccolo wasn't permanently dead. I don't see how the stakes were lower in the Saiyan arc. In the Freeza arc, the stakes were just as big if not bigger. If Freeza won, game over for everyone. Both have fights where the main character can't lose or everything that matters to him will perish. Not to be condescending, but it doesn't seem like you quite grasp what stakes are. Stakes are what happens if the character(s) do/don't achieve their goal.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:22 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Gog wrote:
Huh? What's the context in this situation?
That making fun of a kid with down syndrome to make a point on an internet forum makes you an asshole.
Ok, i'm going to sound stupid, and call me blind if you want (and this is off topic), but i couldn't tell at first, i thought that he was a regular guy.....

All right, back to the topic, while the last episode was a step down in comparison with the other two ones (in terms of animation), i really liked that moment where Goku is punching giant Bergamo, with Bergamo counteratacking while growing, i loved the rotations there.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:47 pm

DBZ Macky wrote:
ABED wrote:

I agree that the fights in the Saiyan arc were fantastic and the stakes were high (I wouldn't call them the highest but they were high), and half the main cast dying supposedly for good really hits home. I just want them to hurry up and get to the damn fight already, haha.

I like the Freeza arc more than the Saiyan arc (Cell is my favorite), but I don't not like the Saiyan arc.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:56 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
KorgDTR2000 wrote:

See (another unpopular opinion), I was so enthralled by the lengthy Freeza fight. I remember tuning in every day and I was really excited. I knew in the back of my mind that Freeza survived that big attack that Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, or Goku (kind of in that order) just did, but my eyes were glued to the television when the smoke was still clearing wondering if the attack worked or not. I knew SSJ was a thing sort of, I've seen the toys, but I wasn't really 'spoiled' about it until later on as the fight was still airing (I remember they took some breaks during the fight for reruns, at least I think so, maybe I'm wrong) when I found fansites like DaizEX, Planet Namek, Ultimate DBZ Info Site, or DBZ Uncensored and basically spent the entire day surfing them. This was also how I was introduced to the Japanese version, especially Planet Namek which had all those low quality video clips I'd play on repeat all the time.

So if this thread has made me realize anything it's that when it comes to some fillers, maybe I have some weird taste. I do like the Freeza arc overall more than the Saiyan arc, that probably contributes to it too.
In Canada the intro had SSJ Goku (along with Trunks and Vegeta) in it from the beginning, so that was always spoiled. But what specifically spoiled me was a toy commercial (or some other commercial) that showed SSJ Goku fighting Freeza. Thinking back, I wonder what idiot decided to run that commercial. But the point is, knowing what was coming made the wait unbearable (I was no thrilled with the new voices either. I wrote an angry email to YTV complaining about it).

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:34 pm

The first US opening (Rock the Dragon) also spoiled: Goku going super saiyan, Vegeta being a super saiyan, and the existence of Trunk and him also going Super Saiyan

WobbuSleuth

Post by WobbuSleuth » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:37 am

If you think about it, then Saiyan saga is suitable for the role of the final much better than any saga that came out afterwards.
Let me explain:
1) Almost every storyline with loose ends from previous arcs (save for Launch) are resolved if we wouldn't count mention of Namek and almost every Z-fighter's deaths.
2) Goku learns about his past, about the truth about the death of his grandfather (btw, it was last mention about him in the manga) and takes it all.
3) Gohan's character development may considered to be finished (and Piccolo's too).
4) Almost the main moral of the whole story is visible here in full force, by the example of Goku and Vegeta battle.
"Even a left-behind might be able to overcome an elite, if he tries desperately enough."
"An amusing joke."

Not to mention, that saga is last time when Z-Fighters besides Sayians and Piccolo were still somewhat useful, fantasy and sci-fi elements were balanced and battles were more "martial artsy"
Sorry for my bad english. )=

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:50 am

^That's true. Saiyan Saga is a fitting end to Dragon Ball even if means Yamcha, Piccolo, Chiotzu, and Tenshenhan are gone forever.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:13 pm

It's not a fitting end as there isn't full resolution to the plot threads. Just Goku letting Vegeta go the way he did makes it feel incomplete. It's not like when he let Piccolo live since he won in decisive fashion in that fight.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:24 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:The first US opening (Rock the Dragon) also spoiled: Goku going super saiyan, Vegeta being a super saiyan, and the existence of Trunk and him also going Super Saiyan
Oh yeah, you're right, I completely forgot about that. Okay, so it was spoiled for me (hard to remember everything from back in 1997-2000), but I know for a fact the Freeza fight kept me on the edge of my seat.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:06 pm

The best end for Dragon Ball would be the Freeza arc, but with everyone in King Kai's Planet staying dead, Piccolo and Vegeta too, Goku killed by the explosion of Namek (Freeza was ultimately defeated), Gohan and Bulma the only ones who have succeeded in surving this climatic battle with the two sets of Dragon Balls permanently erased from existence.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?