Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:46 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
ABED wrote:I'm not good writer, but I think many would agree that GT has a bunch of good ideas, but it's very poorly executed.
Does that even mean anything anymore? That's a perfect example of what I mean. It's only once in a blue moon that anything you hear people say about GT is anything other than regurgitation.
THat's not an example. Yeah, it a general statement, but a true one about how I feel about the show. I'm not regurgitating other people's thoughts. I simply hold an opinion others share, but I reached that conclusion independently. The statement means as much as it ever did. The final arc ending with the DBs turning on the heroes is a good idea, but it's executed poorly. It's just not that interesting. The fights in the series are very bland and uneventful.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:52 pm

Baby and King Cold being wasted potential.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:58 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Baby and King Cold being wasted potential.
Baby, I understand, but King Cold? From what we've seen of him, he's just Freeza 2.0 (or 1.0, I guess). I wouldn't have wanted an arc for him. He only existed for Trunks' introduction, and he served the role just fine.
Retired.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:13 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Baby and King Cold being wasted potential.
Baby, I understand, but King Cold? From what we've seen of him, he's just Freeza 2.0 (or 1.0, I guess). I wouldn't have wanted an arc for him. He only existed for Trunks' introduction, and he served the role just fine.
But he was Frieza's father. He deserved better than to just die by the hands of Trunks.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:16 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:But he was Frieza's father. He deserved better than to just die by the hands of Trunks.
At best, you can argue that he should have had a role on Namek. I can't imagine a place for him other than that. More importantly, why do you think he deserves the spotlight just because he was Freeza's father?
Retired.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:20 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:But he was Frieza's father. He deserved better than to just die by the hands of Trunks.
At best, you can argue that he should have had a role on Namek. I can't imagine a place for him other than that. More importantly, why do you think he deserves the spotlight just because he was Freeza's father?
I think we should have seen his true power.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:24 pm

I'd rather Freeza's father be fodder for Trunks than Freeza be fodder.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:49 pm

those fans who think that its fine to skip og dragon ball and start with Z
My English is poor .

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:50 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:those fans who think that its fine to skip og dragon ball and start with Z
Does anyone here actually think that?
Retired.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:12 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Hyena_Yamcha wrote:those fans who think that its fine to skip og dragon ball and start with Z
yeah i remember seeing someone here who thinks like that not so long ago .
My English is poor .

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:20 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
It's a pretty common mindset on the internet. On here, the worse you'll see is that it's fine if you do.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:22 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Not sure if fans here think it's fine. Over at the dbz subreddit I'm always seeing post like, "Why should I watch DB", "How to get into Dbz", or "Is it okay if I skip DB and start with Z?" type of threads. Just the other day I saw a thread titled: "Why should I like this(Dragon Ball)?". So there's definitely people that think it's okay to skip DB and start with Z.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:31 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Not sure if fans here think it's fine. Over at the dbz subreddit I'm always seeing post like, "Why should I watch DB", "How to get into Dbz", or "Is it okay if I skip DB and start with Z?" type of threads. Just the other day I saw a thread titled: "Why should I like this(Dragon Ball)?". So there's definitely people that think it's okay to skip DB and start with Z.
Tbf, most of Reddit is a total shitshow. The DB subreddit is pretty good, but a lot of reddit is just awful.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:48 pm

The DB subredidit is good when you want to post simple questions but you can't really have a discussion there. If someone disagrees with your opinion, they'll just downvote your comment.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:14 pm

How FUNi divided DB/Z into a bunch of "sagas". My favorite saga is the Goku's drivers license saga. :lol:

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:23 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
I'd say this is one of the missed opportunities of the Resurrection 'F' film/arc where they had a chance of reviving Cold but wasted it on pointless Pilaf Gang gag. I mean, how cool would it have been to see Cold training with Freeza and reach their full potentials? We'd also get to see more of the dynamic between them.

Adrian Malacoda
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Adrian Malacoda » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:35 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
I can attest that this is definitely the minority opinion over there, at least among regulars.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:22 am

Bajosexto wrote:The DB subredidit is good when you want to post simple questions but you can't really have a discussion there. If someone disagrees with your opinion, they'll just downvote your comment.
That;s just a reddit problem in general. Its system promotes circle-jerking.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:50 am

What grinds my gears is that Dragon Box 5 is a different shade of yellow (It's the 4th one, because I have a very sad gap).

My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:16 am

People pronouncing Oozaru wrong, like most of the DB YouTubers.
They treat it as if it was an English word saying "ooze-aru" when its "oh-zaru". It's mostly an issue of the 大 kanji having an unusual spelling of the long o, though.
Do whatever you like, ghost.