A Funimation Digitaly Remastered screenshot in 4:3???

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PrincessVegeta
Banned

A Funimation Digitaly Remastered screenshot in 4:3???

Post by PrincessVegeta » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:11 am

Hi guys

I've recently came across this image on some DBZ forums and I was wondering if anyone knows the source for this. Since you and I know that Funimation's newly remastered releaces don't come in 4:3 so where did this screenshot come from.

Also notice how the extra inches of the image are their on the left and right and also the top and bottom black bar has been removed showing much more of Vegeta's head than what we preveously saw before.

This is what we could've had and with No cut off heads.

So if anyone could help me on this, it would be much appreceated :shock:
The Ultimate Funimation Fangirl.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:13 am

From the looks of it, just a screenshot somebody smoothed and applied some brightening/contrast filters to.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

PrincessVegeta
Banned

Post by PrincessVegeta » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:16 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:From the looks of it, just a screenshot somebody smoothed and applied some brightening/contrast filters to.
Ah ok then, but what really bothers me is that in this actual screenshot you can clearly see that Vegeta's top part of his head is missing and so is the bottom of Krilliuns arm...

The Ultimate Funimation Fangirl.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:45 am

I mean, a screenshot from the original, non-cropped releases that someone "remastered" to look like it.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular

Post by Vegard Aune » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:16 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:I mean, a screenshot from the original, non-cropped releases that someone "remastered" to look like it.
Clearly. Why couldn't the sets actually look like that? If they did, they might actually be GOOD. That is, of course, assuming that all the shots had decent color-correction, (Or none at all) which we all know is not the case.
EDIT: No, it's not even a screenshot. Compare the backgrounds in the 4:3-shot to the "remastered" one. They're not the same.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:18 pm

It also looks like the pictures in the first screenshot are stretched vertically, like someone was messing with the aspect ratio.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:33 pm

That screen looks awesome; it's like someone took the Pioneer release and applied the remastered color histograms (I think that's possible, I may be wording it wrong). Now, minus the occasional foaming mouth, that'd look cool IMO.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:34 pm

bkev wrote:That screen looks awesome; it's like someone took the Pioneer release and applied the remastered color histograms (I think that's possible, I may be wording it wrong). Now, minus the occasional foaming mouth, that'd look cool IMO.
There's blood. It can't be Pioneer.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:56 pm

Strange thing is, there appears to be more image at the top in Kuririn's widescreen image.
And you're right about it not being Pioneer. I wonder if someone took DBox footage and applied the FUNi colors... crazy enough, that sounds like something I'd do if I knew how to.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:49 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:EDIT: No, it's not even a screenshot. Compare the backgrounds in the 4:3-shot to the "remastered" one. They're not the same.
Yep. It's fanart, guys. Just look at Goku's shoulder. There's more blood/scratches in the "screenshot" than in what we know to be the real thing. It's a really good fake though; probably traced. My guess is it's either an experiment or propoganda to make FUNi look better.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:14 pm

Acid_Reign wrote:
Vegard Aune wrote:EDIT: No, it's not even a screenshot. Compare the backgrounds in the 4:3-shot to the "remastered" one. They're not the same.
Yep. It's fanart, guys. Just look at Goku's shoulder. There's more blood/scratches in the "screenshot" than in what we know to be the real thing. It's a really good fake though; probably traced. My guess is it's either an experiment or propoganda to make FUNi look better.
Also look at Vegeta's broken sholderblade on his armor. The coloring where it's broken is diffrent in each screenshot.
­

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:22 pm

Wow, we are some pureblooded nerds.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:19 am

There's also more blood on Kuririn...and less on Gohan. o_O

LeMoonwalker
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LeMoonwalker » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:08 am

The first picture is simply showing screens from the Widescreen release...
You can see the screens are stretched.
You want a proof ?
A screen from the Fullscreen version : (There is more footage on the top and less on the sides).

This is what we could've had and with No cut off heads.
The Widescreen doesn't seem to bother you too much, because the image has been stretched to Fullscreen, but you don't get back the missing footage.
Well I guess It's just that in your heads, Widescreen = horror and Fullscreen = Marvelous.
Well that's funny, I'm sure if I showed you a Fullscreen screencap and stretched it to Widescreen, you would say "Widescreen sucks ! Look at all this footage we're missing !". :)

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:48 am

Yes, yes. I have it so thumped into my head that Widescreen sucks that I can't tell stretching from cropping. :roll:

And, if someone stretched DBZ to fit 16:9 (which I've seen done for AMVs) for a DVD release I'd go "Gee, everyone looks a lot wider than usual," and would look for a way to play it in some horizontally condenced manner so that it would appear correctly.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co