Chi Chi is a superb mom

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Chi Chi is a superb mom

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 13, 2017 12:59 pm

Well, at least according to Anime News Network, she is. The website very recently made a list of the seven mothers of anime characters that they feel live up to their motherly duties to the purest, unconditional and most wholehearted form. This list of characters chosen is in no particular order.

This is what the author of the article wrote about Chi Chi:
Goku's wife often gets a bad rap as a shrill meddler getting in the way of a dad and his son's adventures saving the world. But let's be frank: Goku is dumb as a box of rocks, and ChiChi is the only reason Gohan didn't follow exactly in his footsteps and end up accidentally engaged because he thought he'd get free food out of it. The anime likes to use ChiChi's outbursts for comic relief, but there's no doubt she loves both her sons and her oaf of a husband. Every time Goku is hurt or comes down with an illness, ChiChi is by his side fussing over him. His deaths, even when they end up being temporary, affect her deeply. There's nothing she wants more than to have a happy family life and see her sons succeed.
Do you agree with this sentiment?

I personally also think that Chi Chi gets a bit of a bad rap. But given how her characterization really flip-flops when Toei gets a grasp of her, it's not hard to understand why some fans may not be keen on the character. One moment she really act over bearing to the point in on episode of Super she practically kidnapped Pan on the basis of her not wanting Pan to become a marital artist in any capacity. But in other instances she can be very caring and understanding, as even when Goku took off to train with Whis against he wishes, she took it extremely well in her stride and just wondered when Goku will come back to having something to eat.

Chi Chi can be quite nagging at times, but she certainly loves her family very deeply. And lets be honest, you can imagine several women in Chi Chi's shoes divorcing Goku after putting with even less than half of the stressful shit that Goku directly or indirectly puts her through. So for her to love Goku and stick by Goku even after all of the shenanigans she has to mentally and psychically cope with, and still try her damnedest to provide the best for her sons, and grandchild, is quite remarkable.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: Chi Chi is a superb mom

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat May 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Well, we don't see enough of her mothering skills, but to make Gohan and Goten go to school and value education, and furthermore not let them end up like their loving but idiotic dad is IMO a plus.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat May 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Chi-Chi feels like a slice of life manga character trapped in a shounen manga; I think she'd be much better received in a series where the world's closer to our real life one.

That said, she's in a similar boat as Yamcha where nobody involved in the official decision making likes her which makes her getting any positive moments few and far between.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 13, 2017 1:48 pm

but there's no doubt she loves both her sons and her oaf of a husband
Does she love Goku? I think she's in love with the idea of love. Her entire idea of marriage and love comes from either convention or I imagine movies and TV. The fact that she doesn't divorce him doesn't prove she loves him.

Chichi loves her kid, but she's a tiger mom.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sat May 13, 2017 1:56 pm

ABED wrote:
but there's no doubt she loves both her sons and her oaf of a husband
Does she love Goku? I think she's in love with the idea of love. Her entire idea of marriage and love comes from either convention or I imagine movies and TV. The fact that she doesn't divorce him doesn't prove she loves him.

Chichi loves her kid, but she's a tiger mom.
That's a very dark way of looking at it. Personally I think it's obvious that Chi Chi is head over heels infatuated with Goku. (Just like a lot of us IRL are lol)

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sat May 13, 2017 1:58 pm

Gohan is by far the best, most well rounded and happiest person in the series. I think that's a fairly big compliment considering we have Kuririn as well. Call her a biznatch all you want, but you can't argue with Chi-Chi's results.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat May 13, 2017 2:14 pm

Chi-Chi is essentially an Asian Tiger Mom, she has strict discipline with her kids and wants them to study and get all honors.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 13, 2017 4:25 pm

It's not a dark way of looking at it. She doesn't really know Goku, and Gohan being happy is not a reflection of Chichi's parenting skills.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat May 13, 2017 4:33 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Well, at least according to Anime News Network, she is. The website very recently made a list of the seven mothers of anime characters that they feel live up to their motherly duties to the purest, unconditional and most wholehearted form. This list of characters chosen is in no particular order.

This is what the author of the article wrote about Chi Chi:
Goku's wife often gets a bad rap as a shrill meddler getting in the way of a dad and his son's adventures saving the world. But let's be frank: Goku is dumb as a box of rocks, and ChiChi is the only reason Gohan didn't follow exactly in his footsteps and end up accidentally engaged because he thought he'd get free food out of it. The anime likes to use ChiChi's outbursts for comic relief, but there's no doubt she loves both her sons and her oaf of a husband. Every time Goku is hurt or comes down with an illness, ChiChi is by his side fussing over him. His deaths, even when they end up being temporary, affect her deeply. There's nothing she wants more than to have a happy family life and see her sons succeed.
Do you agree with this sentiment?

I personally also think that Chi Chi gets a bit of a bad rap. But given how her characterization really flip-flops when Toei gets a grasp of her, it's not hard to understand why some fans may not be keen on the character. One moment she really act over bearing to the point in on episode of Super she practically kidnapped Pan on the basis of her not wanting Pan to become a marital artist in any capacity. But in other instances she can be very caring and understanding, as even when Goku took off to train with Whis against he wishes, she took it extremely well in her stride and just wondered when Goku will come back to having something to eat.

Chi Chi can be quite nagging at times, but she certainly loves her family very deeply. And lets be honest, you can imagine several women in Chi Chi's shoes divorcing Goku after putting with even less than half of the stressful shit that Goku directly or indirectly puts her through. So for her to love Goku and stick by Goku even after all of the shenanigans she has to mentally and psychically cope with, and still try her damnedest to provide the best for her sons, and grandchild, is quite remarkable.
Yeah, I have to agree as well.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:41 pm

I strongly disagree with this. While it's perfectly natural for Chi-Chi to want to protect Gohan from fighting, she's a horrendous alternative to Goku. Forcing a 4 year old to do college level academics and study 24/7 is extremely abusive. Basically, Goku understands that Gohan needs to have fun but continuously endangers him, while Chi-Chi wants Gohan to get an education but abuses him with the absurd workload. In short, both parents are truly awful and it's kind of peculiar that Gohan turned out normally, but I give the (very) slight edge to Goku because at least Gohan's able to take fighting and his participation in fights is necessary to advance the plot and take the heat off of the other guys.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Goku doesn't endanger Gohan. Gohan is forced by circumstances to join the fight, though he often chose to help.

Neither is a great parent, but I do like that Goku's death causes Chichi to lighten up with Goten.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:51 am

floofychan333 wrote:I strongly disagree with this. While it's perfectly natural for Chi-Chi to want to protect Gohan from fighting, she's a horrendous alternative to Goku. Forcing a 4 year old to do college level academics and study 24/7 is extremely abusive. Basically, Goku understands that Gohan needs to have fun but continuously endangers him, while Chi-Chi wants Gohan to get an education but abuses him with the absurd workload. In short, both parents are truly awful and it's kind of peculiar that Gohan turned out normally, but I give the (very) slight edge to Goku because at least Gohan's able to take fighting and his participation in fights is necessary to advance the plot and take the heat off of the other guys.
Honestly, it's more surprising that Gohan didn't end up with PTSD as a teenager, given the kinda crap he witnessed at an age where most kids still didn't know how to wipe their own asses.

I know, I know, shounen logic, but still.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Sun May 14, 2017 10:45 am

I disagree with Goku being very dumb but it doesn't seem like Gohan nor Goku hate Chi-chi so she is probably a good mom, maybe a bit strict though.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun May 14, 2017 11:25 am

I HATE her in anime, especially in Super, everytime appears she sucks any enjoyment i had left of this series, why Golden Freeza didnt kill her in same way he killed Vegeta? :( Seriously, i never liked soccer mom type of character in any sitcom or movie.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

ThatFanaticJackatoo

Post by ThatFanaticJackatoo » Sun May 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Chi-Chi's naggingly to me can be annonyingly hilarious but if I would be similar to Chi Chi if I were put in her situation. (Well, leave out the hardcore studying she Forces on Gohan lol)

Ok, so you marry a guy (Goku) who's loving but dumber than a toolbag. One day you find out find out that your husband is an alien who belongs to an extremely powerful species. Same day, your husband is killed along with his brother and your 4 year old son who has never had any training before (Gohan) is kidnapped by the guy who killed your husband (Piccolo)
Next, your family along with others are forced to save the world countless times because they are the only ones who can.

So i can see why she wants to have a taste of normal family life. That was taken from her.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun May 14, 2017 4:00 pm

This is as true as tien being stronger than Krillin..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

YajirobiTheGreat
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YajirobiTheGreat » Mon May 15, 2017 7:40 am

Chichi isn't a bad mom, but she should realize that her decision to not allow the worlds greatest hero to train got the planet destroyed. Not a smart move on her part.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon May 15, 2017 7:55 am

Ki Breaker wrote:This is as true as tien being stronger than Krillin..
Tien has more impressive feats than Krillin if we're referring to Buu saga and previous.

Not only that, but Krillin kinda gets lazy with training as the manga goes on whereas Tien dedicates his life to training.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon May 15, 2017 11:01 am

Kokonoe wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:This is as true as tien being stronger than Krillin..
Tien has more impressive feats than Krillin if we're referring to Buu saga and previous.

Not only that, but Krillin kinda gets lazy with training as the manga goes on whereas Tien dedicates his life to training.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker