Anyone else can't stand Zen-Oh?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Anyone else can't stand Zen-Oh?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:10 pm

I hope the two of them kill each other
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:14 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Zagacious wrote:The way he's represented now is this sort of impossibly strong being that needs to be parented and guided by Grand Priest so he doesn't just straight out destroy everything for no reason. I really like the character actually, but they need to expand it a bit beyond this.
I agree they need to expand. I dont get the impression the Grand Priest babies him though. I get the impression he lives to carry out his desires. More or less acting on his behalf.
I think it's mainly the fact that Grand Priest has shown some level of intelligence and wisdom, while Zeno hasn't really shown any and instead shows signs of immaturity/being spoiled and other flaws a mortal child would have. Zeno wanted to continue the exhibition match but Grand Priest knew better (for unknown reason, some people assume Goku would kill Toppo). Zeno enjoys watching fighting, but Grand Priest could care less (at least it seems so), and you would think they are somewhat around the same level of knowledge of universes. It seems like Grand Priest is just putting up with it to keep things from getting destroyed rather than acting out Zeno's intent. Grand Priest is always having to make sure people are in line so Zeno doesn't just randomly decide to destroy them, at least that's how it's represented in early DBS. I could think of more examples of Zeno acting like this, but it's more of his mannerisms in general than specific instances.

Maybe Grand Priest is the wise/all knowing one while Zeno is the brute force, kind of the like the Angel/God of Destruction duos and I'd be fine accepting that. They'd probably keep this somewhat of a secret so that Zeno is still respected, maybe Grand priest is just an extension of Zeno like they are one being, just going out on a limb of ideas here.

Someone mentioned Frieza manipulating Zenos, just as a side note it'd be hilarious for him to somehow turn the Zenos on each other.

Snakeway Skywalker
Beyond Newbie

Post by Snakeway Skywalker » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:38 pm

Zagacious wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Zagacious wrote:The way he's represented now is this sort of impossibly strong being that needs to be parented and guided by Grand Priest so he doesn't just straight out destroy everything for no reason. I really like the character actually, but they need to expand it a bit beyond this.
I agree they need to expand. I dont get the impression the Grand Priest babies him though. I get the impression he lives to carry out his desires. More or less acting on his behalf.
I think it's mainly the fact that Grand Priest has shown some level of intelligence and wisdom, while Zeno hasn't really shown any and instead shows signs of immaturity/being spoiled and other flaws a mortal child would have. Zeno wanted to continue the exhibition match but Grand Priest knew better (for unknown reason, some people assume Goku would kill Toppo). Zeno enjoys watching fighting, but Grand Priest could care less (at least it seems so), and you would think they are somewhat around the same level of knowledge of universes. It seems like Grand Priest is just putting up with it to keep things from getting destroyed rather than acting out Zeno's intent. Grand Priest is always having to make sure people are in line so Zeno doesn't just randomly decide to destroy them, at least that's how it's represented in early DBS. I could think of more examples of Zeno acting like this, but it's more of his mannerisms in general than specific instances.

Maybe Grand Priest is the wise/all knowing one while Zeno is the brute force, kind of the like the Angel/God of Destruction duos and I'd be fine accepting that. They'd probably keep this somewhat of a secret so that Zeno is still respected, maybe Grand priest is just an extension of Zeno like they are one being, just going out on a limb of ideas here.
Said very well. I have definitely sensed a sort of parental relationship between Zeno and the Grand Priest, who obviously still respects Zen-chan. Not that I want a whole episode on how Zeno and the GP met, but this tournament is a key time to reveal any necessary details on their relationship. The idea of Z being a sort of ultimate God of Destruction certainly is an interesting one, but again, he doesn't seem the destroying type, which leads me to believe that it was the GP's idea to put the whole "universe survival" thing into the tournament, since Zen is just a child ignorant of mortal levels (which they still haven't explained to us). He just wants to see strong dudes like Goku dish it out. When you get into that line of thinking, the fan theory that GP is evil or whatever gets brought up, but I don't honestly what to make of it all.

I don't know how the character's attitudes towards the Grand Priest is gonna be towards the end of this tournament. Now, they seem pretty respectful of him (I mean, he is Zeno's right hand man). Even the gods of destruction seem a bit afraid of him. After putting them through whole ordeal of this tournament, threatening to destroy their universes, which will happen to all but 1 of them, it'll be interesting to see if the losing universes take this sitting down. I mean, of course, the angels don't care that much cuz they free, but if Uni7 does lose and gets erased, Whis is gonna be a butt hurt from losing his best friend (and all the delicacies of Earth), so he might throw some shade on his father, which we haven't seen yet.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:41 pm

I love Zeno. He's the perfect balance of childish, flippant while also being very capricious. Not mention his seiyuu is just perfect.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:03 pm

precita wrote:Zeno is a child character with God powers. That's all he's supposed to be.

That seems to be the justification, both in-universe and out for why he apparently has no qualms about destroying universes. I personally can't get behind that argument though.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:18 pm

I could like Zeno more if he had a better design. Still, ignoring it and his too much childish personality, I like him and what he represents. As a huge fan of the Multiverse concept and beings ruling it, it would be a surprise if I didn't. I would just ask him to be a little more serious and act accordingly to what he represents. Maybe a few more scenes like that one that he's playing with a fake Universe in the very first episode of the new saga would make me satisfied.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:06 pm

The fact that someone like that shouldn't be the God of everything is exactly what gives it potential. He's basically a ticking time bomb, because we know he's destroyed other Universes on a whim before, so the other characters have to be careful to placate him. On the other hand, he's not very smart, so you could have a bad character try to gain proxy power by manipulating him, which would lead to interesting plot dynamics if they decide to go that route in the future. At least that's the potential of the concept - whether that's delivered on remains to be seen.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:24 pm

I disliked him in the past, but i'm used to him now. I found him funny, he looks like we FANS, amazed by fights, that's funny.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:30 pm

Huh, this thread is giving deja-vu. Could've sworn someone made this thread with this title already...

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:11 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
precita wrote:Zeno is a child character with God powers. That's all he's supposed to be.

That seems to be the justification, both in-universe and out for why he apparently has no qualms about destroying universes. I personally can't get behind that argument though.
Its a play on the idea that to a God the entire universe is a plaything. That is why hes portrayed as a child. Thats my opinion anyway.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:37 pm

Ki Breaker wrote: I wonder how freeza would act towards him..
Imagine him getting annoyed at his cutsy feel, not knowing who zeno is decides to shoot both of em and actually manages to kill them..

We welcome Lord freeza our new ruler the next arc
If no one thinks he'll do it maybe his men won't be paying attention, with them dead they'll probably switch over to defending Freeza from everyone or better yet, let him run the tournament.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:49 am

He's a fine concept for a God, IF it leads somewhere. Character like this, you can't have everyone acting passive. Half of the mortal AND god cast should be plotting how to kill him already and quite frankly, he's good for a period of time but not indefinitely. For the series going forward, he should be removed one way or another, can hardly do much with any plot if this chaotic and completly unpredictable yet at the same time overpowered character is always looming around.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:53 am

He's no my kind of character. I still don't like his character design at all, it just doesn't feel like it belongs in Dragon Ball, it's so Pokemonish.

He has grown on me though, on the other hand that the most powerful being in existence is a small childlike Togepi does feel like Dragon Ball. He's unique at least for the series, he's a got a little more to do now that he can interact with his future version.

I neither like or dislike him.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:40 am

I can't stand the childishness of Zen-Oh. You'd think the ultimate decider of all universes would be more wise. I do like the Grand Priest though. That's how Zen-Oh's character should be
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

khazgore

Post by khazgore » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:54 am

i dont like them neither. however, it could be that zeno is weaker than the grand priest, i doubt so. but with every other god, the angel seems to be stronger than their respective god, possibly grand priest is stronger than zeno. as of now, it seems like grand priest is deciding a whole lot.and zeno is just a child given to much power. i honestly dont think zeno is the strongest character in the dragon ball super universe,

nitemare
Not-So-Newbie

Post by nitemare » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:42 am

Can't say I like him (them) and to be honest I find his character very disturbing because, despite being the ultimate god of universe, he doesn't seem to care a lot about life and makes decisions on a whim.

You would have thought that someone with his position would be more responsible and serious. I wish we got at least one god (like the old Kami) that treats his job and role earnestly.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:10 am

KingKaash wrote:I can't stand the childishness of Zen-Oh. You'd think the ultimate decider of all universes would be more wise. I do like the Grand Priest though. That's how Zen-Oh's character should be
*sigh*

Again this is the ENTIRE POINT OF HIS CHARACTER. That a God does not have to be wise because hes all powerful.

Why do people have such a hard time grasping this? Maybe because I'm not religious and have no concept of what God should be...IDK.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:53 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
KingKaash wrote:I can't stand the childishness of Zen-Oh. You'd think the ultimate decider of all universes would be more wise. I do like the Grand Priest though. That's how Zen-Oh's character should be
*sigh*

Again this is the ENTIRE POINT OF HIS CHARACTER. That a God does not have to be wise because hes all powerful.

Why do people have such a hard time grasping this? Maybe because I'm not religious and have no concept of what God should be...IDK.
I'm not religious either. In fact, I'm an atheist. I have a problem with Zen-Oh because I don't like the idea of the entire multiverse being at the mercy of some spoiled child, especially since all the other characters are forced to just accept it without question. That just rubs me the wrong way.

It also doesn't help that I find characters whose entire personalities revolve around how cute and innocent they are to be annoying. I don't care if that's the point of the character, I still find it annoying.

Honestly, a big problem I have with Super in general is that the protagonists are pretty much always at the mercy of the Gods. If they actually went somewhere with that concept then it would be okay, but given how powerful Zen-Oh is, it doesn't seem like any future arc will involve him (them) getting overthrown.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:56 am

I don't like the character. Not because he's badly written, but I think the attention of the character is to be bizarre and annoying, like others said. The ruler of the universe is an infantile little shit who treats lives like literal toys.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:45 am

WittyUsername wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
*sigh*

I'm not religious either. In fact, I'm an atheist. I have a problem with Zen-Oh because I don't like the idea of the entire multiverse being at the mercy of some spoiled child, especially since all the other characters are forced to just accept it without question. That just rubs me the wrong way.

It also doesn't help that I find characters whose entire personalities revolve around how cute and innocent they are to be annoying. I don't care if that's the point of the character, I still find it annoying.

Honestly, a big problem I have with Super in general is that the protagonists are pretty much always at the mercy of the Gods. If they actually went somewhere with that concept then it would be okay, but given how powerful Zen-Oh is, it doesn't seem like any future arc will involve him (them) getting overthrown.
Well thats a bit different than what you originally said or rather how I perceived it. To not like it is fine since taste is subjective. As long as people get why he is that way.