So the tournament is already too Goku-centered, why bring the older cast back?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: So the tournament is already too Goku-centered, why bring the older cast back?

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:42 pm

Sodhi wrote:Goku was nowhere to be seen this epsiode(#99). Other than in 2 frames :)
2 frames? Dear god, does he have to hog the spotlight of every episode!?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

precita
Banned

Re: So the tournament is already too Goku-centered, why bring the older cast back?

Post by precita » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:42 pm

Sodhi wrote:Goku was nowhere to be seen this epsiode(#99). Other than in 2 frames :)
Still too much Vegeta though. I wonder is Piccolo ever going to do something?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:43 pm

Who'd have expected a premature topic to backfire that much on it's creator :roll:

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:46 pm

Just thought of posting this. He does his obligatory appearance at the end doing a fighting stance with a close-up to his face as well.

I felt this episode was fairly focused on Vegeta on the first half, and Krillin (as advertised) and 18 (bonus) on the second. I was glad to see the absent Z Fighters from episode 98 show up on this one.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:28 pm

There was entirely too much Goku in tonights episode

:roll:
How i predict the tournament will end:

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:28 am

precita wrote:It's rather bizarre DBZ was able to split up it's screentime so well. Goku went huge gaps with doing nothing, Piccolo, Krillin and Gohan all got their moments of glory, Vegeta got plenty of focus, and even the humans like Tenshinhan/Yamcha got a few moments before they were phased out as well.
My problem was that a lot of the time when Goku wasn't around in Z others for a large part of the time played the let's wait or stall for Goku game that just got boring. There were many times where it felt like they couldn't do much of anything without Goku being around.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:48 am

Completely disagree tournament being Goku centered, other characters had plenty of screen time. They have been giving ample screen time to the supporting cast for over 25 episodes now. Goku was far more central character when he had screen time in DBZ
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:45 am

I think the OP is turning out to be right. Most of this tournament has been "lets see what crazy shenanigans Goku gets into next" sort of deal while most characters are off to the side hoping Goku involves them and shares his screen-time. The only episode he hasn't had major involvement in was episode 99, other than that it's still been the "Goku and Vegeta Show (Feat: A Bunch of Nostalgic Nobodies)" sadly.
Favorite Dragon Ball Characters
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

Dislikes: Playing by the rules

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:04 am

Faisal Shourov wrote:Completely disagree tournament being Goku centered, other characters had plenty of screen time. They have been giving ample screen time to the supporting cast for over 25 episodes now. Goku was far more central character when he had screen time in DBZ
:lol: :lol: :lol: Are you joking? Plenty for you must be fire ki blasts during 5 seconds.

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:07 am

Shaqazooloo wrote:I think the OP is turning out to be right. Most of this tournament has been "lets see what crazy shenanigans Goku gets into next" sort of deal while most characters are off to the side hoping Goku involves them and shares his screen-time. The only episode he hasn't had major involvement in was episode 99, other than that it's still been the "Goku and Vegeta Show (Feat: A Bunch of Nostalgic Nobodies)" sadly.

The greatest difference I see between DBZ and DBS is that, while in the first one we see events from the outside, like a third person, Super is basically an adventure entirely seen through Goku's eyes, more like the very first Dragon Ball series, we had kid Goku for the 99.9% of the time

If patterns are real, we'll have:

Original DB Goku centered
DBZ mostly full cast centered
DBS Goku centered
DB future new series: full new cast ( Uub, Goten, Trunks, Pan, Bulla, Gohan?, more new characters) centered

It's not so unlikely imo

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:17 pm

MrBlackFox wrote:
Shaqazooloo wrote:I think the OP is turning out to be right. Most of this tournament has been "lets see what crazy shenanigans Goku gets into next" sort of deal while most characters are off to the side hoping Goku involves them and shares his screen-time. The only episode he hasn't had major involvement in was episode 99, other than that it's still been the "Goku and Vegeta Show (Feat: A Bunch of Nostalgic Nobodies)" sadly.

The greatest difference I see between DBZ and DBS is that, while in the first one we see events from the outside, like a third person, Super is basically an adventure entirely seen through Goku's eyes, more like the very first Dragon Ball series, we had kid Goku for the 99.9% of the time

DBS Goku centered
DB future new series: full new cast ( Uub, Goten, Trunks, Pan, Bulla, Gohan?, more new characters) centered

It's not so unlikely imo
Just because DB was mostly through Goku's eyes doesn't mean it was ANYTHING like Super is. In DB the other characters were integrated in to the plot perfectly well.

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:22 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
MrBlackFox wrote:

DBS Goku centered

It's not so unlikely imo
Just because DB was mostly through Goku's eyes doesn't mean it was ANYTHING like Super is. In DB the other characters were integrated in to the plot perfectly well.

So are in Super, but the difference is while in Z we really never had too much Goku, and in original DB was obvious to have a lot of him instead, in Super this is now becoming boring
Like, damn, we have one of the greatest casts ever, and you continue to put Goku and Vegeta, mostly Goku, literally everywhere and in every damn event
This is the reason i didn't like Black's saga too much, second only to its terrible and disappointing finale

At the ToP, do they really need to make Goku interact with basically any damn character who's fighting there?

I see the Gohan's turtle strategy as a cheap excuse to exclude them from action ( for now at least) giving the space that could have been their to Goku
I love Goku but damn, go easy with his dosing :lol:

I still love Super Btw, so I accept everything

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:23 pm

precita wrote:
Still too much Vegeta though. I wonder is Piccolo ever going to do something?
You're acting like the arc will be over in the next few weeks. They're literally 50 or so warriors left, so Piccolo will have his time to shine. Give them time. In Saikyo Jump, it was revealed that there're two new Nameccians: Saonel and Pilina, so Piccolo will most likely fight them.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:53 pm

MrBlackFox wrote: Original DB Goku centered
DBS Goku centered
This is why I prefer Z to the rest, no one overstays their welcome and everyone gets fair amount of screen time.

Some will say Goku is the main character so he needs to be in it a lot but Z showed that you can have little of him without taking anything away from his main character status.
MrBlackFox wrote:We have one of the greatest casts ever, and you continue to put Goku literally everywhere and in every damn event.

This is the reason I didn't like Black's saga too much.
To the production team, more Goku = more views = more $$$.

The manga thankfully isn't like this and in the Black arc Goku didn't get the main focus until the very end so hopefully the tournament will give everyone more screen time and keep him in the back.
TekTheNinja wrote:In DB the other characters were integrated in to the plot perfectly well.
But Goku still did most of the heavy lifting with the King Piccolo arc being a great example of this as both Roshi and Tien didn't even get a chance to fight him. In Z it was more evenly devided with the other characters where they got the stage all to themselves.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:18 pm

But Goku still did most of the heavy lifting with the King Piccolo arc being a great example of this as both Roshi and Tien didn't even get a chance to fight him. In Z it was more evenly devided with the other characters where they got the stage all to themselves.
Sure Goku had the main fights but you're ignoring major badass shit that happened, like the mafuba, and that time Tenshinhan saved Goku's damn life by flying him away from Piccolo's blast, which at the time was something Goku couldn't do.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:50 am

TekTheNinja wrote:
Sure Goku had the main fights but you're ignoring major badass shit that happened, like the mafuba, and that time Tenshinhan saved Goku's damn life by flying him away from Piccolo's blast, which at the time was something Goku couldn't do.
Not to mention the tournaments where the likes of Krilliin, Roshi, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, and even Nam of all people had an episode or two focused entirely on them. Super's kinda doing that with the U6 characters but there's a lot of Goku going round. Credit to Toei and co. for their use of Android 17 and 18 and even Krillin to a lesser extent. 18's been doing stuff in every episode (too bad her fight was cut in 98) and her elimination count is nearly as high as Goku and Vegeta's. But yeah, we do have to give it some time. Looks like their calming down the Goku time a little bit.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:22 am

BWri wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
Not to mention the tournaments where the likes of Krilliin, Roshi, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, and even Nam of all people had an episode or two focused entirely on them. Super's kinda doing that with the U6 characters but there's a lot of Goku going round. Credit to Toei and co. for their use of Android 17 and 18 and even Krillin to a lesser extent. 18's been doing stuff in every episode (too bad her fight was cut in 98) and her elimination count is nearly as high as Goku and Vegeta's. But yeah, we do have to give it some time. Looks like their calming down the Goku time a little bit.
The next episode seems hopefully almost fully Gohan and Piccolo centric, so that's good.

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:49 am

DB has always focused primarily on Goku, and I truly don't mind the fact he's almost always the strongest character. My problem with DBS was the immediate focus on Goku and Vegeta as the sole fighters capable of protecting the earth with a limited role for the rest of the Z fighters. I think this tournament made up a lot of ground in regards to older characters, and introduced new powerful allies in 17 and possibly Frieza. They finally brought Gohan within reach of the top tier fighters. Although limited, Piccolo showed a significant boost in power, and I think he's going to have an opportunity to finally show his full power in a fight requiring him to go all out. When the dust settles, I still think Goku will be heads above the rest, but I don't know how the list will read for the other characters. It's possible Gohan achieves a new form putting him well ahead of Vegeta. If Frieza remains a regular cast member, he has the potential for incredible gains and new forms, if he starts to train regularly. I think Piccolo will show he's far stronger than most people think, and I can imagine a number of different story arcs focused on Piccolo reaching a new plateau of power. Android 17 has yet to reveal the level of power he held back when facing Goku, and it's possible he's already on par with the upper level fighters. If he's not at their level as of right now, the tournament may refocus his attention to training increasing his power to become one of the strongest U7 fighters. Honestly, I think the tournament gave some love to characters ignored since the beginning, and I have a feeling we will see episodes dedicated to the individual members of the U7 team in the tournament. It also sets up an eventual shift towards a more cohesive group of Z fighters with the ability to move up and down the list in terms of power depending on the training they undergo to protect the earth/universe from powerful foes. Goku will still remain at the top even in a world where the supporting cast of characters becomes relevant again, and in the end he will save the day by defeating the villain of the story arc. I'm fine with the status quo, as long as they feature the other characters in epic battles reminiscent of fights like 17 vs Piccolo, Gohan vs Cell, Majin Vegeta vs Buu, and countless others.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:16 am

larzooma wrote:DB has always focused primarily on Goku, and I truly don't mind the fact he's almost always the strongest character. My problem with DBS was the immediate focus on Goku and Vegeta as the sole fighters capable of protecting the earth with a limited role for the rest of the Z fighters. I think this tournament made up a lot of ground in regards to older characters, and introduced new powerful allies in 17 and possibly Frieza. They finally brought Gohan within reach of the top tier fighters. Although limited, Piccolo showed a significant boost in power, and I think he's going to have an opportunity to finally show his full power in a fight requiring him to go all out. When the dust settles, I still think Goku will be heads above the rest, but I don't know how the list will read for the other characters. It's possible Gohan achieves a new form putting him well ahead of Vegeta. If Frieza remains a regular cast member, he has the potential for incredible gains and new forms, if he starts to train regularly. I think Piccolo will show he's far stronger than most people think, and I can imagine a number of different story arcs focused on Piccolo reaching a new plateau of power. Android 17 has yet to reveal the level of power he held back when facing Goku, and it's possible he's already on par with the upper level fighters. If he's not at their level as of right now, the tournament may refocus his attention to training increasing his power to become one of the strongest U7 fighters. Honestly, I think the tournament gave some love to characters ignored since the beginning, and I have a feeling we will see episodes dedicated to the individual members of the U7 team in the tournament. It also sets up an eventual shift towards a more cohesive group of Z fighters with the ability to move up and down the list in terms of power depending on the training they undergo to protect the earth/universe from powerful foes. Goku will still remain at the top even in a world where the supporting cast of characters becomes relevant again, and in the end he will save the day by defeating the villain of the story arc. I'm fine with the status quo, as long as they feature the other characters in epic battles reminiscent of fights like 17 vs Piccolo, Gohan vs Cell, Majin Vegeta vs Buu, and countless others.
Aside from Freeza's Army there havent really been any henchmen or mini bosses for them to fight earlier. That is one reason I think the earlier thread about Super and villains vs rivals in the sagas was a good one.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"