Dragon Ball Bid For Power ain't dead...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball Bid For Power ain't dead...

Post by Alias » Mon May 24, 2004 7:00 pm

I just came across something I though I'd never see: a continuation of BFP. It's not by the same team, though it was done with permission. It's being completely rescripted and the progress so far looks great. I've seen a lot of DB mods, most of them terrible, but this is the first since BFP that might be good.

Here's the link.

http://www.zeq2.com/index2.php?id=news

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon May 24, 2004 7:02 pm

Hey, those character models look pretty good. I think they already compete with Budokai 2. :shock:

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Mon May 24, 2004 7:17 pm

The attack animations definitely need improvement, but it's promising. Upon seeing the Buu pic in the banner, I thought that they'd ripped that image from B2. I'm still not so sure they didn't...

EDIT: You can also see some of the beta character models on their forums.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon May 24, 2004 9:23 pm

I want the full version of the instrumental Cha La Head Cha La they had up on the original site. It was all rocking and stuff. Plus, I only have about 5 different versions of that tune...I need more!
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon May 24, 2004 10:27 pm

It's not by the same team, though it was done with permission.
Why would they need permission if the original BFP was shut down due to it being illegal? :?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed May 26, 2004 10:44 am

On a related topic, anyone know if there are any DB mods for UT2003?

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Wed May 26, 2004 5:53 pm

They'd get permission out of respect for the creators, Dayspring. I don't think it was illegal to make, since lots of people make anime games and mods. It's just that Funi owned the rights and could thus give cease and desist orders as they liked. :evil:

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed May 26, 2004 8:33 pm

It's just that Funi owned the rights and could thus give cease and desist orders as they liked. :evil:
Thus making it illegal for the game makers to make a DB/Z game, no? :P

EDIT: My point is that it would be like paying homage to DaBlackGoku for being the first site to call themselves "DaBlackDBZCharacter" that offers full downloadable eps.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed May 26, 2004 10:59 pm

Actually, it isn't illegal to do that (as long as they make no profit from the product), but if the legal copyright holder wishes to put an end to the project, the other company most oblige. So in other words, Funimation was being a buncha eletist dicks.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

TGDweezl
Beyond Newbie

Post by TGDweezl » Thu May 27, 2004 8:17 am

Wowsers is all I can say, the game does look very nice and promising. I'm sure they have a large variety of characters in the line-up, hopefully more than Budokai.

After seeing the animations of Majin Vegeta and the whole "different ki waves" concept shown with Super Buu all I can say is this: *DROOL*

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu May 27, 2004 1:59 pm

Actually, it isn't illegal to do that (as long as they make no profit from the product), but if the legal copyright holder wishes to put an end to the project, the other company most oblige.
For what reason should they oblige if it isn't illegal though? Picture a guy stealing from his neighbor's apple tree. The neighbor can call legal action but chooses not to just because it's not a big deal. Now picture someone stealing three full baskets of apples off the tree. At this point, the neighbor gets pissed and threatens to call the cops if he doesn't stop. That's what happened with BFP. The neighbor with the apple tree is FUNi, BFP is the guy with three full baskets, and all the other crappy game makers on the net that get no attention from the web community are the guy whole stole one apple. If you were FUNi, would you spend tons of time and money going after each and every patchy stickfighter game on the net, alienating your fanbase in the process, or would you go after a few BIG potential threats like BFP?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu May 27, 2004 3:38 pm

But BFP WAS legal. So long as no profit is being made and credit is given to the owners of the original material, there's no legal problems. It's the same way with Fanfiction. Some authors allow it, others (the idiots IMHO) don't.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.