"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:30 pm

The gr wrote:I'm annoyed that Goku is gonna bear hug & probaly let his guard down again, at this point ya a drinking game
I'm starting to think Goku likes to get bear hugged, anyway this whole "guard down" is starting to get annoying for me too, if not enough making Goku stupider, they're also making him a dumb fighter?
FortuneSSJ wrote:He's iconic and far above the ones like Naruto and Luffy. Going the Boruto route with Dragon Ball is not that simple.
No one denies that, I don't know for all people, but my main complaint is not his screentime, but his behavior.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:35 pm

incarnati0n wrote:
I don't understand why people refer that Toriyama pushing Gohan to main character at the end of the Cell Saga and then going back to Goku means that it didn't work when the reason why Goku came back was not at all related to the lack of success of the series post change but solely because the writer after continuing the story decided that the type of story that he wanted DB to be was not in line with who Gohan was as a character and as a result Goku would be much more fitting which while I agree with, doesn't mean that the experience was a failure and that any try of something similar will be a complete failure.

The only problem that I have right now with the way the story is constructed is that everything is a result of Goku's hunger for stronger opponents. It's a crutch that has been getting increasingly more use and that as a result is turning Goku into a more dislikeable character due to certain actions that he has that aren't consistent with who the character was in the past and only occurs due to the need of a plot device to move the story foward.
This is only the story arc in Super that was a direct result of Goku's battlelust.

Battle of Gods - Goku did fight Beerus, but everything happened because Beerus wanted to fight a Super Saiyan God. The plot would have happened regardless of Goku fought Beerus on King Kai's planet.

Resurrection 'F' - Freeza wants revenge. Goku's battlelust had nothing to do with the plot.

Champa Saga - Goku really wanted the tourument, but it was Champa's idea.

Future Trunks Saga - Goku fought Zamasu to see if he was Black and to fight a powerful. Beerus, Whis, and Gowasu all approved. But the plot all started with Trunks.

Also, "Goku into a more dislikeable character due to certain actions".

He can't be becoming that unlikable since you posted a poll where Goku was the most popular character, beating his far nicer son or character devopled Vegeta.

And "aren't consistent with who the character was in the past" isn't true since this is the same character who spared Vegeta so he could fight him again and he did the same with Piccolo.
Last edited by HeroR on Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Vegeta-Sama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegeta-Sama » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:36 pm

Cant wait Cauliflower replaces Spotlight Goku as Main Char, the outcry the Goku Fanboys! :lol:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:37 pm

Vegeta-Sama wrote:Cant wait Cauliflower replaces Spotlight Goku as Main Char, the outcry the Goku Fanboys! :lol:
She would replaced Vegeta. Well she would if Hit hasn't already done that.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:39 pm

Vegeta-Sama wrote:Cant wait Cauliflower replaces Spotlight Goku as Main Char, the outcry the Goku Fanboys! :lol:
Nice one man needed to laugh :lol:
It's cute to dream ain't it :roll:

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:40 pm

HeroR wrote:
Neither characters are replacing vegeta

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:44 pm

This gonna be a nice evening, I hope to have time to watch today episode and Mayweather vs. McGregor.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:45 pm

pacz360 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Goku has moved on and has already paid Hit for a good fight and he wants to fight Cali again along with his other interest of Toppo and Jiren. It's over, Vegeta just refuses to sign the papers.
Kanassa wrote:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:50 pm

incarnati0n wrote:
Michsi wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:And some people still wonder why he gets so much screen time besides he being the main character and how cool a new series would be with the new generation as protagonists. :lol: :lol:
He's iconic and far above the ones like Naruto and Luffy. Going the Boruto route with Dragon Ball is not that simple.
They tried it once and it didn't work :lol: But speaking of which, Gohan made it into the top 20? Good for him! Shows that even with all the conferences and lack of big world-ending battles, he is still in fan's memories.
Is he then the only other DB character in the top 20?

Yup, Goku is as iconic as they come, don't see them taking him away from the limelight any time soon.
I don't understand why people refer that Toriyama pushing Gohan to main character at the end of the Cell Saga and then going back to Goku means that it didn't work when the reason why Goku came back was not at all related to the lack of success of the series post change but solely because the writer after continuing the story decided that the type of story that he wanted DB to be was not in line with who Gohan was as a character and as a result Goku would be much more fitting which while I agree with, doesn't mean that the experience was a failure and that any try of something similar will be a complete failure.
I didn't say it was because of a lack of success, but that they this whole next gen thing had already been attempted before. Whether it was because of a negative reception or simply because the author ended up being dissatisfied with the change wasn't the point. Just saying that there was an attempt back in the day, and it didn't catch on for whatever reason.

Now that Goku has been practically elevated to shonen hero symbol status, it'd be even harder to try and replace him.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:51 pm

HeroR wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Goku has moved on and has already paid Hit for a good fight and he wants to fight Cali again along with his other interest of Toppo and Jiren. It's over, Vegeta just refuses to sign the papers.
Vegeta always finds a way to close the gap between them
Goku still consider vegeta a worthy fighter
Cali is fodder to vegeta

Vegeta-Sama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegeta-Sama » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:52 pm

HeroR wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Atleast Vegeta cares about his family while Goku cares only about selfish desire of endless training and fighting. I really hope Jiren beats the living crap outta Goku and he realizes being a douchebag doesnt payed off. :D
Vegeta payed for being a douchebag, now its Goku´s time. :mrgreen:

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:54 pm

Goku and Vegeta's rivalry has been one-sided for a long time now. Vegeta sees him as a rival but Goku treats Vegeta as more of a friend than anything.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:54 pm

pacz360 wrote: Vegeta always finds a way to close the gap between them
Goku still consider vegeta a worthy fighter
Cali is fodder to vegeta
Been several arcs since Champa and Vegeta still has no counter for the Kaioken.

Yeah, when he's bored he can knock Vegeta up, but his heart now belongs to another. At best, Vegeta is now a friend with benefits.

She's fodder.....for now. :D
Vegeta-Sama wrote: Atleast Vegeta cares about his family while Goku cares only about selfish desire of endless training and fighting. I really hope Jiren beats the living crap outta Goku and he realizes being a douchebag doesnt payed off. :D
Vegeta payed for being a douchebag, now its Goku´s time. :mrgreen:
I guess Vegeta being a good family man is the only real victory he will ever have on Goku. He certainly won't win on scene time.
Last edited by HeroR on Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kanassa wrote:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:55 pm

I wonder if the reason Goku is getting so much focus in almost every episode is because this is his "last hurrah" before he takes a backseat as we move into EOZ with the new generation of heroes.

Goku will probably just be a mentor to Uub and Trunks/Goten while Gohan takes over as the new main hero. Goku and Vegeta might very well retire to the bahamas after this arc.

Vegeta-Sama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegeta-Sama » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:57 pm

precita wrote:I wonder if the reason Goku is getting so much focus in almost every episode is because this is his "last hurrah" before he takes a backseat as we move into EOZ with the new generation of heroes.

Goku will probably just be a mentor to Uub and Trunks/Goten while Gohan takes over as the new main hero. Goku and Vegeta might very well retire to the bahamas after this arc.
Caulifla, Kale and Cabba takes over. Nobody gives a crap about Uub. A lot people calling Gohan boring and he is a family man.
We need fresh air as main chars.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:00 pm

Nobody is replacing Goku, he is irreplaceable. But others can have interesting stories to tell too and if Goku is nearby, can't be. Oob would be great, he is the one Toriyama chose. He is the writer, he is the boss.
Last edited by Basako on Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heno heno kappa!

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:00 pm

Goku's going to have 30+ years of his prime left when we get to EoZ. He's not going to spend it stagnating.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Vegeta-Sama wrote:
precita wrote:I wonder if the reason Goku is getting so much focus in almost every episode is because this is his "last hurrah" before he takes a backseat as we move into EOZ with the new generation of heroes.

Caulifla, Kale and Cabba takes over. Nobody gives a crap about Uub. A lot people calling Gohan boring and he is a family man.
We need fresh air as main chars.
A lot of people call Cabba boring too.
Kanassa wrote:

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:03 pm

So, should I still stay awake and catch the livestream? I was planning to skip sleeping tonight to see Mayweather vs McGregor and have Super be something to look forward to in the middle, but if it's truly delayed, I might just go to sleep and get up early.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

ultravegeta

Post by ultravegeta » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:07 pm

Vegeta will have his battle against Hit, and that battle will be legendary