What's up with Tenshinhan this arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: What's up with Tenshinhan this arc?

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:20 pm

Tien feels like a different character from Z. His pose is off, his fighting style sorta reverted back to his OG Dragon Ball ways (Which is cool, I guess.) But no positive outcome and the artstyle of him looks like he's been nerfed. Not one piece of hand to hand combat either? Another disappointment to the endless list of missed opportunities.

Tien had much more to offer, It's a shame really.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:08 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:Tien feels like a different character from Z. His pose is off, his fighting style sorta reverted back to his OG Dragon Ball ways (Which is cool, I guess.) But no positive outcome and the artstyle of him looks like he's been nerfed. Not one piece of hand to hand combat either? Another disappointment to the endless list of missed opportunities.

Um... what? :eh:

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:19 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:Tien feels like a different character from Z. His pose is off, his fighting style sorta reverted back to his OG Dragon Ball ways (Which is cool, I guess.) But no positive outcome and the artstyle of him looks like he's been nerfed. Not one piece of hand to hand combat either? Another disappointment to the endless list of missed opportunities.

If I had to guess, I'd assume he's referring to how Tien in DBZ looked like a man on massive amounts of steroids whereas in Super he looks much leaner.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:34 pm

I never expected much from him because episodes 83, 89, and 90 gave me all the indication I needed to know that the writers don't really give a single fuck about him. He did about as well as I expected. If you isolate episode 106, yeah his performance was ok (except for the ending where it negates his decent performance and it becomes a mediocre send-off for a mediocre character), but overall he was pretty underwhelming this saga.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:06 pm

It honestly feels like Tien was only included in this to fill the 10 man quota, because they didn't want to use Buu for some reason.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:01 pm

Tombstone1988 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:

If I had to guess, I'd assume he's referring to how Tien in DBZ looked like a man on massive amounts of steroids whereas in Super he looks much leaner.
Ah. I see. Well, that's just how Toriyama designs characters these days.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:39 pm

Well Tien at least blasted one guy off with Roshi and took another guy down with him. I was actually worried he wouldn't get any win at all. And prior to this we saw Tien fight Freeza's soldiers in Return of F.

They haven't given him the Yamcha treatment where he's not allowed to fight at all, so at least you Tien fans have that. If we ever get to see Yamcha in a real fight again it'll be a miracle.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:44 pm

precita wrote:They haven't given him the Yamcha treatment where he's not allowed to fight at all, so at least you Tien fans have that. If we ever get to see Yamcha in a real fight again it'll be a miracle.
Under Toriyama's reign, Yamcha will never fight again. Toriyama has made it very clear that he does not care for the character at all.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:24 pm

precita wrote:Well Tien at least blasted one guy off with Roshi and took another guy down with him. I was actually worried he wouldn't get any win at all. And prior to this we saw Tien fight Freeza's soldiers in Return of F.

They haven't given him the Yamcha treatment where he's not allowed to fight at all, so at least you Tien fans have that. If we ever get to see Yamcha in a real fight again it'll be a miracle.
I'd argue he is given the Yamcha treatment. Yamcha is given the Chaouzu treatment nowadays where everyone seems to forget he exists. Since that's the case, someone has to fill Yamcha's old spot and so Tenshinhan became the sacrificial lamb.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:23 pm

I just wonder what will Julian say?
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:03 pm

I did enjoy his time to shine this past week. The multi form technique was really cool to see, and I felt he held his own and went out honorably. It's a shame he never reached the heights of badassery he reached during the Android saga against Semi Perfect Cell

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:03 am

MKCSTEALTH wrote:I did enjoy his time to shine this past week. The multi form technique was really cool to see, and I felt he held his own and went out honorably. It's a shame he never reached the heights of badassery he reached during the Android saga against Semi Perfect Cell
What he did in the episode was fine, using the clones to sacrifice three of them and get to the sniper. Cool enough, but to be his moment, the only one, it looks not really like an actual fight to me.

Also, Hermila was in the border more than him and Tenshinhan was standing up. Can anyone explain me how Tenshinhan went down and Hermila didn't?

It has also been said, but did he really need to take all his clones down? Even one? What about a Kikoho from behind? The more I think it, the more feel he should have had just took Hermila out and be eliminated by other guy.
Heno heno kappa!

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:49 am

And with this I give up hope of any form of relevancy for my favorite characters, the human trio. Krillin's out first. Tenshinhan's out second, and Yamcha didn't even get a chance to participate, nor did Gohan or any of the people he discussed it with offer to have him enter. Fuck it. Well at least Roshi had a good episode. DBS always raises my hopes by putting characters into a major arc lineup and then throwing them away almost immediately. I'd be happier if they just didn't raise my hopes at all. Why do they have to tease? Why can't they just completely throw the old cast away if they don't wanna use them at all? It's garbage, Super is garbage, and I'm pissed.

Tangent over. -_-

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:22 am

TekTheNinja wrote:And with this I give up hope of any form of relevancy for my favorite characters, the human trio. Krillin's out first. Tenshinhan's out second, and Yamcha didn't even get a chance to participate, nor did Gohan or any of the people he discussed it with offer to have him enter. Fuck it. Well at least Roshi had a good episode. DBS always raises my hopes by putting characters into a major arc lineup and then throwing them away almost immediately. I'd be happier if they just didn't raise my hopes at all. Why do they have to tease? Why can't they just completely throw the old cast away if they don't wanna use them at all? It's garbage, Super is garbage, and I'm pissed.

Tangent over. -_-
I can sympathise Tek, but Krillin at least has had some really nice focus episodes, and his performance, whilst short was at least decent enough to showcase a little creativity(his and 18's combo move, using a ki blast to propell himself...I guess the shoe, but that was a bit weird even by Dragonball standards).

In the case of Yamcha(who is my second favourite) his baseball episode is still one of my absolute favourites. Even though he's used for comedy for the second half they treated his skills as a pitcher pretty well. And he technically saves the day. The rumours that there's a chance of a Yamcha (and Chiaoutzu) saving the Earth episode whilst everyone's away excites me more than the ToP at this point.

Tien...well, the dojo's a good idea but him sharing his only headlining episode with Roshi or his tournament of power focus episode with Gohan, Piccolo, Goku AND Vegeta being as prominent as he was is probably a good indicator that the writers aren't sure what to do with him.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:44 am

Akyon wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:And with this I give up hope of any form of relevancy for my favorite characters, the human trio. Krillin's out first. Tenshinhan's out second, and Yamcha didn't even get a chance to participate, nor did Gohan or any of the people he discussed it with offer to have him enter. Fuck it. Well at least Roshi had a good episode. DBS always raises my hopes by putting characters into a major arc lineup and then throwing them away almost immediately. I'd be happier if they just didn't raise my hopes at all. Why do they have to tease? Why can't they just completely throw the old cast away if they don't wanna use them at all? It's garbage, Super is garbage, and I'm pissed.

Tangent over. -_-
I can sympathise Tek, but Krillin at least has had some really nice focus episodes, and his performance, whilst short was at least decent enough to showcase a little creativity(his and 18's combo move, using a ki blast to propell himself...I guess the shoe, but that was a bit weird even by Dragonball standards).

In the case of Yamcha(who is my second favourite) his baseball episode is still one of my absolute favourites. Even though he's used for comedy for the second half they treated his skills as a pitcher pretty well. And he technically saves the day. The rumours that there's a chance of a Yamcha (and Chiaoutzu) saving the Earth episode whilst everyone's away excites me more than the ToP at this point.

Tien...well, the dojo's a good idea but him sharing his only headlining episode with Roshi or his tournament of power focus episode with Gohan, Piccolo, Goku AND Vegeta being as prominent as he was is probably a good indicator that the writers aren't sure what to do with him.
Actually, I liked the shoe thing a lot. It was clever since Krillin was targeting a weakness of his blind opponent by using a smelly shoe. Honestly it's pretty crafty.

Yamcha is at least lived for being a joke now, yes. I guess that's better than being not loved at all, but I hate how he's even treated as a joke by his friends in-universe. Something about the "baseball is the one thing he's good at" line especially rubs me the wrong way.

And Tenshinhan... Well I just found this fantastic video a bit ago. If you don't have time to watch the whole thing, just skip to when he talks about the most recent episode and why it's BS and then proceeds to talk about how Tien's life was kinda a failure and such: https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_contin ... 2HNvl0e26I

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:31 am

gohan_black wrote:THIS IS HIS BIG MOMENT? COME ON!!
This is only one example from multiple threads, but please don't do this. Kanzenshuu is not a social media site. As outlined in the fourm rules, which you agreed to twice prior to registering, you are expected to contribute posts with at least a little bit of substance. Avoid these types of brief, fluff comments and typing in all caps unnecessarily.

You've already been warned about this before. Continuing will result in account strikes being issued to your account.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:35 am

Can you still only type in all caps, or is this intentional?

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:52 am

I would gladly offer up one of the stronger tier characters if it ensured a more substantive outing for Tenshinhan. The premise of this tournament was supposed to embellishing and brandishing the value of coordination and ability. Why can't these tenets work to allow someone like Tenshinhan or Krillin to outmanoeuvre more powerful fighters? Put someone like Caulifla in their crosshairs, aim a technique that's strong enough to overcome their disorientated defences (thanks to the Taiyoken) or bypasses power levels, and then work to eliminate them from the playing field. It's not that a difficult a concept. I think such a scenario would have been far more rewarding. Plus, it would have helped to validate their enrollment as their abilities served to eliminate someone far superior to themselves that can pose a moderate threat to the stronger members of their team.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:01 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Can you still only type in all caps, or is this intentional?
Their keyboard is broken, apparently.
Lionel wrote:I would gladly offer up one of the stronger tier characters if it ensured a more substantive outing for Tenshinhan. The premise of this tournament was supposed to embellishing and brandishing the value of coordination and ability. Why can't these tenets work to allow someone like Tenshinhan or Krillin to outmanoeuvre more powerful fighters? Put someone like Caulifla in their crosshairs, aim a technique that's strong enough to overcome their disorientated defences (thanks to the Taiyoken) or bypasses power levels, and then work to eliminate them from the playing field. It's not that a difficult a concept. I think such a scenario would have been far more rewarding. Plus, it would have helped to validate their enrollment as their abilities served to eliminate someone far superior to themselves that can pose a moderate threat to the stronger members of their team.
Krillin did used his skills to eliminate a superior opponent that not even 18 could handle. Also, Super also made it a point that at a certain point, no amount of skill will save you from a powerful opponent. That is why Goku went Blue to prove his point to Krillin.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:43 pm

precita wrote:It honestly feels like Tien was only included in this to fill the 10 man quota, because they didn't want to use Buu for some reason.
They can't handle him, simply. He's too OP.