Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by supercat » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:10 pm

wolflonnie wrote:So up to this point, how much strong do you guys think Piccolo is? Would he be able to defeat Cell or Super Buu?
Piccolo could probably solo the entire Buu saga with minimal effort. He strangled the SSJ2 out of a Gohan who, at the least should have been on par with his Ultimate self at that point.

Now before anyone responds back with how Piccolo told Gohan to use the power against Buu, let me take the time to explain such a phrase is just too ambiguous to have a direct correlation with strength alone.

Knowing that transforming into Ultimate Gohan is a form, we can possibly deduce that Piccolo had simply wanted Gohan to reach his strongest form, which in-turn would yield his then-strongest power.

This is backed up by Gohan resorting back to SSJ during the RoF arc, due to a lack of training. On the contrary, a Gohan that had kept up with training, wouldn't have needed SSJ, but rather a simple kiai to reach the Ultimate form. Gohan also mentioned the inability to go full power, and going SSJ was the only choice, which further reinforces the point that, tapping into the full level of power brought out by Elder Kai needed far more exertion than a mere kiai. Gohan also mentioned Tagoma rivaling him during his peak. Now, why would anyone be comparing anyone to a suppressed version of themselves? We know the whole purpose of comparing two characters is to give a reference in strength; something that wouldn't be accomplished if one of the characters were exhausted, injured, or just simply not at their best.

Then there's Base Gohan having a notable amount of power over Piccolo. Enough to the point Tagoma wanted to step in. This would mean, Base Gohan is at least on par with Perfect Cell on the very low end, if not way stronger. Boost that up with the SSJ multiplier, and you easily have SSJ Gohan (RoF) as strong as his Ultimate incarnation from the Buu saga.

I'm not interested in any further debates regarding the topic if any of the following will be used in the discussion:

"Piccolo was tired." or "Piccolo was weighted." or "Tagoma was wrong."
Again, no point in making comparisons when such a reference is made in-universe, presumably to give some idea as to where a particular character stands.

"Gohan meant his peak as in when he's fresh."
He just took a senzu bean, before facing off against Tagoma.

"Gohan wasn't even sure he could go SSJ."
Exactly, why should he be sure, when for as far as he knows, the Elder Kai power up gave him the ability to go full power with a simple kiai, with little to no need to go SSJ.

In short, I adhere to the following:

Piccolo > Buuhan > Buutenks >/= SSJ2 Gohan (vs Piccolo) > Ultimate Gohan > / = SSJ Gohan (vs Piccolo) > Super Buu = Ginyu > / = Tagoma > Mr. Buu

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:08 pm

wolflonnie wrote:So up to this point, how much strong do you guys think Piccolo is? Would he be able to defeat Cell or Super Buu?
Just stronger than a SSJ2-tier in the Boo arc.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:51 pm

I honestly laugh at those who downplay Piccolo down to Buu saga SSJ2, or even worse, Cell saga SSJ2. There is no basis for this, and if one pays close attention to statements and feats, while taking the time to actual power scale, anything weaker than SSJ Vegetto (Buu saga) is almost unfathomable.

This whole argument about bad writing, or why didn't Piccolo get stronger before is irrelevant, because power ups have never really been consistent, especially for Piccolo of all people.

A strength discussion thread doesn't really seem like the right place to be whining about bad writing.

Like I said before:

Piccolo > Buuhan = SSJ2 Gohan (vs Piccolo) > Buutenks > SSJ Gohan (vs Piccolo) > / = Ultimate Gohan (Buu saga) = SSJ Gohan (RoF) > Super Buu >/ = Ginyu > / = Tagoma > Base Gohan > Piccolo (RoF)

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:34 am

supercat wrote:I honestly laugh at those who downplay Piccolo down to Buu saga SSJ2, or even worse, Cell saga SSJ2. There is no basis for this, and if one pays close attention to statements and feats, while taking the time to actual power scale, anything weaker than SSJ Vegetto (Buu saga) is almost unfathomable.

This whole argument about bad writing, or why didn't Piccolo get stronger before is irrelevant, because power ups have never really been consistent, especially for Piccolo of all people.

A strength discussion thread doesn't really seem like the right place to be whining about bad writing.

Like I said before:

Piccolo > Buuhan = SSJ2 Gohan (vs Piccolo) > Buutenks > SSJ Gohan (vs Piccolo) > / = Ultimate Gohan (Buu saga) = SSJ Gohan (RoF) > Super Buu >/ = Ginyu > / = Tagoma > Base Gohan > Piccolo (RoF)
Piccolo's power boost is funny since I got a bigger boost training with Goku for three years then he got merging with Kami, his other half. I mean, one is an over 100x boost a minimal, while merging with Kami was probably not even half that. He went to being slightly weaker than second from Freeza to shitting on Android 20 to the point that Krillin said he rivaled a Super Saiyan.

That and we honestly have no clue what Piccolo's power was after the Cell Games other than he was weaker than Cell in the Buu Saga. The rest is pure guess work until 88. Also, if Piccolo was only as strong as a Cell or Buu Saga Super Saiyan 2 Gohan, I wouldn't see why Gohan would be so shocked by Piccolo's strength since that is only a little stronger than he was in the Buu Saga, years ago and he trained with Piccolo for at least eight months after Resurrection 'F'.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:36 am

HeroR wrote:
supercat wrote:I honestly laugh at those who downplay Piccolo down to Buu saga SSJ2, or even worse, Cell saga SSJ2. There is no basis for this, and if one pays close attention to statements and feats, while taking the time to actual power scale, anything weaker than SSJ Vegetto (Buu saga) is almost unfathomable.

Like I said before:

Piccolo's power boost is funny since I got a bigger boost training with Goku for three years then he got merging with Kami, his other half. I mean, one is an over 100x boost a minimal, while merging with Kami was probably not even half that. He went to being slightly weaker than second from Freeza to shitting on Android 20 to the point that Krillin said he rivaled a Super Saiyan.

That and we honestly have no clue what Piccolo's power was after the Cell Games other than he was weaker than Cell in the Buu Saga. The rest is pure guess work until 88. Also, if Piccolo was only as strong as a Cell or Buu Saga Super Saiyan 2 Gohan, I wouldn't see why Gohan would be so shocked by Piccolo's strength since that is only a little stronger than he was in the Buu Saga, years ago and he trained with Piccolo for at least eight months after Resurrection 'F'.
Exactly.
My guess is that him, at FP, would be equal to SSJ3 Goku Buu saga/Super Buu.
Gohan wouldn't have been shocked if he was just SSJ2 tier. He's stronger than that.

Green
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Green » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:11 am

It all depends on how strong the Gohan he fought was, but I have my sincere doubts he was anywhere near Fat Buu or Suppressed SS3 Goku considering the shade Trunks threw at him when he saw him again. Yeah, he also supposedly trained afterwards but I have no reason to assume he made tremendous gains. I have:

Ultimate Gohan >> Super Buu >> SS3 Goku >> Fat Buu ~ Piccolo (TOP) > SS2 Gohan (Exhibition Matches) >= Majin Vegeta > SS2 Gohan (Buu Arc) > Piccolo (U6 Saga)

Piccolo could be stronger but his recent showings in the TOP are ridiculously bad.

ssbgoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ssbgoku » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:39 am

Like I said before:

and I honestly laugh at the guys as you who force your option on others, by saying powering up is only way to move forward instead of make it more real by them getting weaker in time of peace where they didn't train enough. Picoolo for me in buu saga was only above ssj goku/gohan cell arc.

SSJ Vegetto (Buu saga) ones shots Picoolo. To be more blunt Vegetto would give problem to goku (not using ssb or ssg or UI), as super nerfed him by putting beerus much above him.

Buuhan > Buutenks > Ultimate Gohan(Buu saga) > Super buu >/ = Ginyu> SSJ2 Gohan(vs Picoolo) > SSJ Gohan(vs Picoolo)> SSJ Gohan (Rof) >/=Tagoma > Unweighted Piccolo(Rof) > Base gohan > Weighted holding back Picoolo

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:54 am

Piccolo was about a match for Super Saiyan 2 Gohan and he was trying to train him to get back his "original strength" as in the Ultimate Gohan strength from the Buu saga so you'd think he'd be weaker than that.

It is all very odd though.

Base Gohan was stronger than Piccolo with weights in the Resurrection F saga. That's odd when Base Goku was weaker than Frieza but whatever. He turns struggles to Super Saiyan and says his body can't handle it? So what does that mean? Is he significantly weaker than in the Great Saiyaman saga then?

Then Base Gohan trained with Piccolo and he's about as strong as him without weights. Then one year after that Piccolo is now stronger around as strong as Super Saiyan 2 Gohan so did Piccolo get 100 times stronger in one year?

And now we've got this saga where Base Goku isn't really affected much by Piccolo's attack and Base Gohan is about as strong as him (or say they portray it). Then in the last episode Base Gohan doesn't transform in his fight with the Namekians who were giving Piccolo trouble and was doing just fine even though they should be probably be tens of times stronger than him.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:13 am

Just don't take the base Saiyans' feats seriously. They're just too inconsistent.
Just recently, Base Goku was able to fight Ribrianne, who was strong enough to give Super Saiyan Vegeta trouble.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

supersaiyangodgogeta
Regular

Post by supersaiyangodgogeta » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:24 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
supersaiyangodgogeta wrote:Freeza's full power is gold, not his true form, so he was referring to that. That and he was trying to catch Goku off-guard. He told him he was going to use his full power but attacked him instead.

All piccolo said is that him and Gohan should try to reach new heights before the tournament. That statement isnt inherently specific to the small session they did to develop combinations.

Piccolo stated that he could do nothing more for Gohan, which is followed by Gohan asking Goku to train him. Then Gohan states that he wants to achieve an ultimate form never before seen when fighting Goku and in the same fight he breaks his own limits and matches Ssb Goku by the end.
The thing is though there is nothing to suggest he got stronger during the end of the fight. He simply stated he was using his full-power, that was it.
By gohans own admission, he was using his full power at the beginning of the fight. That current full power at the beginning of the fight was equal or a bit weaker than ssj2 Goku as shown. His true full power at the end of the fight was on par with super Saiyan Blue.

Shlugo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shlugo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:53 pm

DBZ Macky wrote:Just don't take the base Saiyans' feats seriously. They're just too inconsistent.
Just recently, Base Goku was able to fight Ribrianne, who was strong enough to give Super Saiyan Vegeta trouble.
We literally just saw base Vegeta overpowering Ribrianne like two episodes ago.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Piccolo = Super Saiyan 2 tier. He'd probably beat Dabura but nothing past that.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:37 pm

precita wrote:Piccolo = Super Saiyan 2 tier. He'd probably beat Dabura but nothing past that.
People REALLY need to stop using "[X] Form Tier". It just doesn't work in the contexts people use them for because it's so ambiguous what said USER, not tier, USER, rests. The fact that so many people disagree on where said USERS, not tiers, rest means that we shouldn't rely on putting tiers to things like forms.

Piccolo is greater than Gohan's SS2 power before he re-unlocked Ultimate. That's it. There is no reference to how strong SS2 Gohan was then. He MIGHT be at the level before he first got Ultimate, OR he might be at a level far beyond that. The language, in particular the subtitles, used in conjunction with the visuals and past episodes makes it extremely hard to narrow down just where everything rests.

For example, Goten and Trunks aren't "SS tier", they're 50 times stronger than their base selves as Super Saiyans. Goku and Vegeta aren't "SS tier", they're stronger than their sons' SS forms as Super Saiyans themselves back during the Buu Arc.

Would people PLEASE stop putting "Generic [X] Tier"? Or at least clarify it further so that it's a bit more accurate to what's being implied? For example, instead of generically generalizing "SS2-Tier", how about "SS2 Gohan Buu Saga Tier"?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:29 pm

- SSJ2 Caulifla fights Base Goku. She has him on the ropes... until he sends her flying with a single kick. Caulilfa quickly recovers and fights Base Goku in a very even battle.
- Base Goku uses the afterimage technique to temporarily get the advantage, but Caulifla manage to recovers and fight back intensely against Base Goku.
- Goku powers up to SSJ2 and it's the same as before... a very even battle. The advantage constantly swings from SSJ2 Goku to SSJ2 Caulifla.
- SSJ Kale joins the battle
- SSJ Kale and SSJ2 Caulifla do some tag team combo attacks and overwhelm SSJ2 Goku... however...
- SSJ2 Goku is suddenly able to handle both SSJ Kale and SSJ2 Caulifla.
- Goku then turns into SSJ3 to no sell a combined ki blast attack from SSJ Kale and SSJ2 Caulifla. Goku then quickly powers out of the form.
- Kale goes full Broly transforms into SSJ Beserker.
- NEP shows... more SSJ Kale and SSJ2 Caulifla tag teaming SSJ2 Goku. Oh... and Kafla. Yep. That's right. Kafla will make her grand debut next week.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:32 pm

I couldn't really tell what was going on so I'll never to watch it properly.

I wonder if we will get some kind of confirmation that Super Saiyan Berserker Kale is around as strong as Super Saiyan 3 Goku or something. Might be weaker if that's why they fuse together that is as long as Goku doesn't power up even more.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:35 pm

Man, the powers seemed all over the place this week. :crazy:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Oh, and a few more things to note about the NEP:
- Kalfa has the Potara earring. So no fusion dance or alternate merging technique. I wonder how they'll be able utilize those without being qualified. But... this less a tournament about abiding by the rules and more about Zeno being entertained. So if Zeno thinks it looks cool, he'll let it slide.
- Goku says Kale has become a "legendary Super Saiyan". Umm... :?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Oh, and a few more things to note about the NEP:
- Kalfa has the Potara earring. So no fusion dance or alternate merging technique. I wonder how they'll be able utilize those without being qualified. But... this less a tournament about abiding by the rules and more about Zeno being entertained. So if Zeno thinks it looks cool, he'll let it slide.
Yeah....some people are really going to get their hackles raised about that, I'm sure.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:42 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Oh, and a few more things to note about the NEP:
Yeah....some people are really going to get their hackles raised about that, I'm sure.
It has to has to inside/meta joke. I mean, it just has to be... right? I can only assume they worded that line specifically just so there is some in-universe hype for Kale from Goku and to also delightfully tease the Broly fandom.

Legion
Regular

Post by Legion » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:44 pm

The powerscaling in this episode :lol: :lol:

Well, at least is confirmed by Whis that Goku didn't mastered ultra instinct. He can use that ability more or less like the Gods, but in power and abilities is still below.