Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by HeroR » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:13 am

emperior wrote:
HeroR wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
I know the art in this episode was extraordinarily exceptional, but I fail to see how this episode had movie-tier animation, much less the best looking episode of Super from an animation perspective. The animation for the non-Takahashi parts of the episodes was pretty so-and-so for the most part with only a few exceptions.

The art is definitely the best thing about the episode and it was marvelous, but art is really where the exceptionality of the episode ends IMO.
I do agree that the animation wasn't anything to write home about and it was the art that sold this episode. With that said, there are parts where I didn't like how Super Saiyan God looked. I think Super Saiyan God looked a little too bulky in some shots, but that could be just me.
I agree with you, SSG looked too big sometimes. One little complain I have with Takahashi's art is that sometimes he draws the muscles too big. But that's just me, because lately I prefer more realistic looking bodies, just like Toriyama draws them nowadays.
I also believe Takahashi may draw characters bigger to give a bigger sense of power and to emphatize certain movements, because sometimes his SSJ2 Goku looked just perfect in terms of size. Even then, if he was character designer I would gladly accept his bigger muscles, as I'm used to DBZ characters being buff.
Another nitpick, Freeza didn't look right in some shots.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:39 am

SansrivaaL wrote:One can only hope Toei would realize that they need this man to up their game in DBS, it was such a waste to use him this episode when they could put him on more exciting ones, they better get him on Goku V Jiren PT2!
Not really a waste at all. Plus we don't know how far Goku vs Jiren is furthermore Takahashi is freelance so we don't know if he'll even be free or available for Goku vs Jiren, so if he's free now why not use him?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:52 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:One can only hope Toei would realize that they need this man to up their game in DBS, it was such a waste to use him this episode when they could put him on more exciting ones, they better get him on Goku V Jiren PT2!
Not really a waste at all. Plus we don't know how far Goku vs Jiren is furthermore Takahashi is freelance so we don't know if he'll even be free or available for Goku vs Jiren, so if he's free now why not use him?
So I guess this means we won't be seeing much of him then? Toei uses mostly their own animators and brings in freelancers for specific scenes that are few and far between, right?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:56 am

Michsi wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
So I guess this means we won't be seeing much of him then? Toei uses mostly their own animators and brings in freelancers for specific scenes that are few and far between, right?
Can’t he become a regular?
I really hope he stays and I also wish to see Iseki and Nakatsuru again. Having more supervisors would definitely help, wouldn’t it?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:09 am

JazzMazz wrote: I know the art in this episode was extraordinarily exceptional, but I fail to see how this episode had movie-tier animation, much less the best looking episode of Super from an animation perspective. The animation for the non-Takahashi parts of the episodes was pretty so-and-so for the most part with only a few exceptions.

The art is definitely the best thing about the episode and it was marvelous, but art is really where the exceptionality of the episode ends IMO.
Yea, the actual fight sequences in this looked rushed as hell. Very sloppy in most sections. I guess that's the price you pay with artwork this detailed and gorgeous.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:14 am

This episode's designs were amazing.
Yuya's senses and understanding of db's art goes off the charts.
The episode was extremely boring after some point but these designs are literally avatar/wallpaper material. It's nice to see that wonderful ZSuper mix. Yuya's ideas are interesting and he innovates while respecting the source material. It's not 100% Z but more like ZSuper.
Most of the fights weren't that interesting but some cuts here and there looked good.
Keyword for Yuya art is interesting. Still his ask Goku looks extremely close to Vegeta with an extra hair bang.

Did Karasawa animate the U3 policeman? If so this must be his best looking animated scene in super.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:45 am

Guys I need your help re: colours. So for the longest time I just been watching DBS on my phone and recently started watching on my tablet and stream on tv via HDMI and noticed the colours on the tablet and tv are different to my phone, instance SSGSS is more lighter in colour on those than my phone it's slightly darker. The colours on the latter to seem more muted in general too (compared to the colours on my phone).

What's really weird is I went to take a pic off of an SSGSS shot on my phone and the camera of tablet had the colour of SSGSS be in lighter in blue and not what my phone was showing, it's super weird so I can't give an example. So have I been watching this entire arc in wrong colours then? Eeeeeek. Does anyone know why my phone is making colours weird then?

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

Post by thegamer23 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:14 am

This episode was a work of art. Takahashi is here to stay

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:17 am

Does anyone know Yuya Takahashi's twitter by any chance? Or any social media really. I like showing some appreciation to some animators/writers, especially when i would love for them to stay at Super (no, that does not mean i'll go beg for them to stay).
How i got into this shit:

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:43 am

OMG. The art had me! SSJ2 Goku at certain parts just looked like Z.
Kale's LSSJ form was incredible too!
PLEASE KEEP IT CONSISTENT LIKE THIS. IF I HAD TO BE PICKY, I'D WANT THE FIGHTS LOOKING LIKE THAT IN ANIMATION BUT DAMN, I'M SUPER SATISFIED WITH THIS EPISODE.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:51 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:OMG. The art had me! SSJ2 Goku at certain parts just looked like Z.
PLEASE KEEP IT CONSISTENT LIKE THIS. IF I HAD TO BE PICKY, I'D WANT THE FIGHTS LOOKING LIKE THAT IN ANIMATION BUT DAMN, I'M SUPER SATISFIED WITH THIS EPISODE.
Personally, I think SSJ2's hair looked more like Xenoverse with how wild and big it was. Looked beautiful. I couldn't stop admiring it.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:58 am

AloversGaming wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:OMG. The art had me! SSJ2 Goku at certain parts just looked like Z.
Personally, I think SSJ2's hair looked more like Xenoverse with how wild and big it was. Looked beautiful. I couldn't stop admiring it.
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Yeah, but even so. It gave me Z vibes. If they drew his eyes more sharper...then 100% content lol.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:49 am

I personally believe Takahashi's art is the best Dragon Ball has ever looked.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:38 am

FartiliciousManChild wrote:Does anyone know Yuya Takahashi's twitter by any chance? Or any social media really. I like showing some appreciation to some animators/writers, especially when i would love for them to stay at Super (no, that does not mean i'll go beg for them to stay).
https://mobile.twitter.com/TTSoolBNiuIb6jG

Here's his twitter.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:57 am

JazzMazz wrote:I know the art in this episode was extraordinarily exceptional, but I fail to see how this episode had movie-tier animation, much less the best looking episode of Super from an animation perspective. .
But would you think that are best looking episodes than this, art-wise?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:59 pm

This is the art i want for super ever since day 1,i'm getting some dbz vibes by looking at it.
    Who drew this shot [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
    Mostly active on discord.

Asura
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:08 pm

How is it that the entirety of the Buu arc can consistently look this good and in Super we get it like once in 114 episodes? :lol:

How can there only be one guy left (who isn't even a permanent member) who can actually draw in this style of Z?

SSJ hair has literally never looked this good in Super.

Also, I really loved this shot. Probably one of the best "holy shit" faces Goku has ever made, does really well in showing how powerful Kefla is to result in a look of complete panic/shock and maybe even fear for Goku

ArchedThunder
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:22 pm

The gr wrote:This is the art i want for super ever since day 1,i'm getting some dbz vibes by looking at it.
      Who drew this shot [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
      Yuichi Karasawa did that whole scene.

Amir
      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Asura wrote:How is it that the entirety of the Buu arc can consistently look this good and in Super we get it like once in 114 episodes? :lol:

How can there only be one guy left (who isn't even a permanent member) who can actually draw in this style of Z?

Also, I really loved this shot. Probably one of the best "holy shit" faces Goku has ever made, does really well in showing how powerful Kefla is to result in a look of complete panic/shock and maybe even fear for Goku

Even the Buu saga didn't look this good 100% not even close. It had those designs, but often the art had bad parts, like Vegito vs Buuhan and even Goku vs Majin Vegeta, especially near the end.
      Also your singnature had my dead XD

HeroR
      Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:30 pm

Amir wrote:
      Asura wrote:How is it that the entirety of the Buu arc can consistently look this good and in Super we get it like once in 114 episodes? :lol:

Even the Buu saga didn't look this good 100% not even close. It had those designs, but often the art had bad parts, like Vegito vs Buuhan and even Goku vs Majin Vegeta, especially near the end.
      Also your singnature had my dead XD
      As someone watching the Buu Saga thanks to Kai on Toonami, I can concur. The Buu Saga didn’t look half this good most of the time.
      Kanassa wrote:
      precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
      Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.