Who sang "Rock the Dragon"?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

I like DB(Z) (...)

Who sang "Rock the Dragon"?

Post by I like DB(Z) (...) » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:10 pm

I was downloading some music of a band I like, Linkin Park, when I saw a file called "Rock the Dragon". I downloaded it and it was the theme song to Dragon Ball (don't know which dub... just remember it).
Is Linkin Park the author for "Rock the Dragon"?

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Re: Who sang "Rock the Dragon"?

Post by Son_Gohan » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:19 pm

I like DB(Z) (...) wrote:I was downloading some music of a band I like, Linkin Park, when I saw a file called "Rock the Dragon". I downloaded it and it was the theme song to Dragon Ball (don't know which dub... just remember it).
Is Linkin Park the author for "Rock the Dragon"?
From what I've heard, yes.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:31 pm

Wait, seriously?? :shock:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:31 pm

Actually, no, that's a common misconception. Linkin Park isn't responsible for it, as they weren't formed yet when the dub first started. I remember, because it was one of the first questions I asked after joining here.

http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?p=67715#67715

If you're getting said Linkin Park songs off a filesharing system, then whoever you're getting "Rock the Dragon" from has misattributed it.

EDIT: Remember, necroposting = The Devil
Last edited by Kaboom on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

I like DB(Z) (...)

Post by I like DB(Z) (...) » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:02 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Actually, no, that's a common misconception. Linkin Park isn't responsible for it, as they weren't formed yet when the dub first started. I remember, because it was one of the first questions I asked after joining here.

http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?p=67715#67715

If you're getting said Linkin Park songs off a filesharing system, then whoever you're getting "Rock the Dragon" from has misattributed it.
If one were to just hear the song, and then hear a song from Linkin park, then it would make sense to think that it was from Linkin Park.
Thanks for clearing it up ^^.

On a side note, after reading "Rurouni Kenshin" in a post, I've wondered how you say it... I've only read some manga.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:39 pm

Rock the Dragon was composed by Shuki Levy, who did compose BGMs for other Saban stuff. However, I don't know whether he sung it or not.

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:46 pm

Erm . . . while we're on the topic of who sang 'Rock The Dragon', would anyone mind telling me who sang Europe/Canada's (?) Dragonball GT opening?

My Mum said it sounded like Ozzy Osbourne when she first heard it. :P
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:57 pm

I like DB(Z) (...) wrote:If one were to just hear the song, and then hear a song from Linkin park, then it would make sense to think that it was from Linkin Park.
Thanks for clearing it up ^^.
Not so. Considering Rock the Dragon has no lyrics in the song regarding the singer going crazy from a woman in a mentally abusive relationship. >_>

*knows he will be pelted for that one*

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:50 pm

The singers voices aren't even really similiar...

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:14 pm

Tsukento wrote:Not so. Considering Rock the Dragon has no lyrics in the song regarding the singer going crazy from a woman in a mentally abusive relationship. >_>

*knows he will be pelted for that one*
Yes, but Vegeta is a character on the show.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:16 pm

I like DB(Z) (...) wrote: On a side note, after reading "Rurouni Kenshin" in a post, I've wondered how you say it... I've only read some manga.
"Roo-Ro( rhymes with 'oh')-Nee Ken-Shin"

Back on the question, it makes me wonder who sang the other Shuki Levy classic themes, and not just "Rock the Dragon".

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:30 pm

Linkin Park and DBZ in the same conversation makes angels cry

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:16 pm

What I typically see labeled as the "Canadian Rock the Dragon" is actually a song off of an album from Chile entitled simply DragonBall & DragonBall Z. For some reason, I guess they recorded their own version of it...? There's also a "Groove Mix" version of the song on the other CD from Chile called La Saga De Dragon Ball Z.

Did this ever actually air in Canada in any way, shape, or form? I somehow doubt it.

Regarding the actual vocals in "Rock the Dragon" (and I should also point out that it's not really called that; it's simply credited as "Main Title"), the production credits for the original US DBZ OST ("Music by Shuki Levy & Kussa Mahehi") have:

Executive Producers: John J. Alcantar III, Thomas C. Stewart
Produced and Sequenced by: Ford A. Thaxton
Production Designer: Simon Telega
Digitally Edited by: James Nelson at Digital Outland, Lacey, WA
Special thanks to: Gen Fukunaga, Cindy Fukunaga, Robert Brennan and Daniel Cocanougher

We'll probably never know which individual person actually "sang" the song, just like we'll probably never know which individual people ever sang half of the theme songs ever written for television shows in the US.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Daizensushi-x
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daizensushi-x » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:16 pm

VegettoEX wrote:What I typically see labeled as the "Canadian Rock the Dragon" is actually a song off of an album from Chile entitled simply DragonBall & DragonBall Z. For some reason, I guess they recorded their own version of it...? There's also a "Groove Mix" version of the song on the other CD from Chile called La Saga De Dragon Ball Z.

Did this ever actually air in Canada in any way, shape, or form? I somehow doubt it.

Regarding the actual vocals in "Rock the Dragon" (and I should also point out that it's not really called that; it's simply credited as "Main Title"), the production credits for the original US DBZ OST ("Music by Shuki Levy & Kussa Mahehi") have:

Executive Producers: John J. Alcantar III, Thomas C. Stewart
Produced and Sequenced by: Ford A. Thaxton
Production Designer: Simon Telega
Digitally Edited by: James Nelson at Digital Outland, Lacey, WA
Special thanks to: Gen Fukunaga, Cindy Fukunaga, Robert Brennan and Daniel Cocanougher

We'll probably never know which individual person actually "sang" the song, just like we'll probably never know which individual people ever sang half of the theme songs ever written for television shows in the US.
Well done, Mike, well done. 8)
-My First short film
Revenge at the Dojo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCK5q8Bcof8

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:00 am

VegettoEX wrote:Regarding the actual vocals in "Rock the Dragon" (and I should also point out that it's not really called that; it's simply credited as "Main Title")
For whatever reason, Taiko: Drum Master for the PS2 has that song in the game listed off as "Rock the Dragon - Dragon Ball Z Theme." The game came out in 2004, as well. So it's odd that they would even use that.

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:16 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Did this ever actually air in Canada in any way, shape, or form? I somehow doubt it.
What? The song?

Yeah it was the theme for the show here. I imagine it get's called "Canadian Rock the Dragon" because of it's associasion with the Ocean dub.
Check out our home made films!
Lots of martial arts action and comedy.
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=HumpskiProductions

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:05 pm

Humpski wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Did this ever actually air in Canada in any way, shape, or form? I somehow doubt it.
What? The song?

Yeah it was the theme for the show here. I imagine it get's called "Canadian Rock the Dragon" because of it's associasion with the Ocean dub.
He's referring to the song from Chile being mislabelled as the Canadian broadcast song, not the actual "Rock the Dragon" theme.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mister yummy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Rurouni Kenshin would be pronounced as follows. Feel free to correct me, I'm not very far in my studies of Japanese.

ru-roh-oh-ni ke-n-shi-n

The 'r' in ru is said like a combination or r and l sounds, with a hint of d in there. The u in that is like the sound in jew. Ou is two 'oh' sounds together, similair to how you'd say the letter. The 'i' in ni is like it is in ki. The whole sound would be a lot like knee. The japanese e is best described as the e sound in 'meh', but not as long. So, keh might be a better way to pronounce that. The n by istelf is a whole syllable. Shi is a lot like she, but a bit different.

I hope that helps.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:27 pm

People talking about Rock the Dragon? I fucking hate that song.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:47 pm

Raki wrote:People talking about Rock the Dragon? I fucking hate that song.
As phenomenal as it perhaps is that you "fucking hate that song", please refrain from posting such irrelevant comments in a discussion thread. Thanks! :)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::