DBZ season one set nominated for a TV-on-DVD award

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

DBZ season one set nominated for a TV-on-DVD award

Post by John Pannozzi » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:36 pm

At http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Site-News- ... wards/8267

they've announced nominees for the fourth annual TV DVD Awards. FUNimation's Dragon Ball Z "Remastered" Season 1 box set is a nominee under "Best Foreign TV series".

Guys, please don't get mad over this. Instead, see this as an opportunity to knock these season sets down a pegs. Maybe if a lot of people (including us) DIDN'T vote for the DBZ set (and instead voted for, let's say, the Doctor Who set), we just might send some sort of message to FUNImation.

Kaboom

Re: DBZ season one set nominated for a TV-on-DVD award

Post by Kaboom » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:39 pm

Neat.
John Pannozzi wrote:Instead, see this as an opportunity to knock these season sets down a pegs. Maybe if a lot of people (including us) DIDN'T vote for the DBZ set (and instead voted for, let's say, the Doctor Who set), we just might send some sort of message to FUNImation.
What?

*Votes for DBZ*
Last edited by Kaboom on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:28 pm

Just voted and I must say they had some really crappy shows listed. Heroes, Lost... please. At least I got to vote for M*A*S*H, oh yeah. :P

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:37 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:What?

*Votes for DBZ*
Indeed! Fuck companies who invest time and effort like Geneon, kill 'em all and make room for FUNi! :P

-Corey

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:39 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:

*Votes for DBZ*
Indeed! Fuck companies who invest time and effort like Geneon, kill 'em all and make room for FUNi! :P

-Corey
:lol: That made me picture a huge Funimation Godzilla half-breed destroying the city.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:40 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:

*Votes for DBZ*

-Corey
As fucking awesome as Geneon/Pioneer is, do you think they will get mainstream recognition for their work?

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:30 pm

Raki wrote:As fucking awesome as Geneon/Pioneer is, do you think they will get mainstream recognition for their work?
I would hope so, what with the breadth of series they've done. Samurai Champloo was a successful anime, Akira is damned near renowned, Trigun is another hit, the Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate releases...they've done a lot. And need we forget who actually distributed DragonBall Z to begin with? :P

-Corey

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:56 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:

*Votes for DBZ*

-Corey
:lol: That made me picture a huge Funimation Godzilla half-breed destroying the city.
Oh, dear, the mental image.

"Make way for FUNi!! RAWR!"

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:27 pm

John Pannozzi wrote:Instead, see this as an opportunity to knock these season sets down a pegs. Maybe if a lot of people (including us) DIDN'T vote for the DBZ set (and instead voted for, let's say, the Doctor Who set), we just might send some sort of message to FUNImation.
However, the sheer fact that it got nominated will send FUNI a different, much louder signal. One that says, "hey, we should do ALL boxsets this way." Nominations are basically a means of recognition for good work (as least in the eyes of the people doing the nominating).
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:10 pm

I find this more ironic then anything else. :?

Here's holding out for a future release that'll have ALL the audio tracks on it. (Japanese, Redub/Partial Redub, AND original Toonami-aired version).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:31 pm

John Pannozzi wrote:Guys, please don't get mad over this. Instead, see this as an opportunity to knock these season sets down a pegs. Maybe if a lot of people (including us) DIDN'T vote for the DBZ set (and instead voted for, let's say, the Doctor Who set), we just might send some sort of message to FUNImation.
If it was popular enough to get nominated, I doubt a few dozen of us (at most, if it's anything like the letter campaign) will make much of a difference.

While I don't know much about the technical merits of the majority of those nominees, I think it's safe to assume, simply by DBZ's inclusion at all, that this is just a popularity contest. I know any professional reviewer or award giver type would immediately scoff at the set, but since this is a consumer voting thing, it only proves that 1) lots of people like DBZ, and/or 2) lots of people like cheap DBZ.

So, as an evil elitist hater, it won't bother me too much if they win, since that's not really a change in the status quo, other than probably making FUNi even happier. It sure would be nice if TVShowsOnDVD took a real look at the set, though.
-Rachel

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:32 pm

I have to say, I do like having my Season Sets, but Lord knows they don't deserve any awards.

chronocross
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chronocross » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:25 am

I have being a fan of Dragonball since 1995 and even though I love this series I do not love his release specially because this company destroyed the image of the original language in which I listen to it for the first time.
My vote goes for Doctor Who series 2.
I aim to misbehave

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:37 am

TripleRach wrote:If it was popular enough to get nominated, I doubt a few dozen of us (at most, if it's anything like the letter campaign) will make much of a difference.
My thoughts exactly.

FUNi are going to finish their run of the Z season sets no matter what.

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:13 am

I find it funny how they wont bother reporting on this when its cropped and washed to shit, but will allow it in awards when it's you know... Anime, and they dont cover Anime?

Standards are lacking :p

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:51 am

ETC123 wrote:I find it funny how they wont bother reporting on this when its cropped and washed to shit, but will allow it in awards when it's you know... Anime, and they dont cover Anime?

Standards are lacking :p
Agreed, what the hell? I've already emailed them on this, as I still have their reply from way back when stating that they didn't cover anime. I can't say I care about the sets anymore, but having them get *awards* from what I considered a fairly reputable site makes me want to puke. I mean, the DBZ sets get nominated and not Hellsing Ultimate? I think I smell financial greasing of the wheels...I mean, it's too coincidental that only FUNimation's animes got any nods (especially with the other spectacular releases that have occured from September '06-'07).

-Corey

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:22 am

chronocross wrote:I have being a fan of Dragonball since 1995 and even though I love this series I do not love his release specially because this company destroyed the image of the original language in which I listen to it for the first time.
My vote goes for Doctor Who series 2.
I second that on Dr. Who. I just bought season 1 of the new series (with Christopher Eccleston), cuz I missed that one (I didnt watch on sci fi 'til seasons 2 and 3).
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:52 pm

ETC123 wrote:I find it funny how they wont bother reporting on this when its cropped and washed to shit, but will allow it in awards when it's you know... Anime, and they dont cover Anime?
...which is ridiculous in itself. They cover non-American TV shows. They cover cartoons. But if the cartoons happen to come from ONE specific country, they somehow fall under under a completely different grouping that happens to be the one and only grouping they DON'T cover.

Sorry, can anyone explain that one for me?

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:04 pm

Adamant wrote:
...which is ridiculous in itself. They cover non-American TV shows. They cover cartoons. But if the cartoons happen to come from ONE specific country, they somehow fall under under a completely different grouping that happens to be the one and only grouping they DON'T cover.

Sorry, can anyone explain that one for me?
Well, prejudice is a very harsh word, but it's almost fitting. Almost.

It's probably more fair to compare it to a "No Girls Allowed" Club but instead of not admitting girls, it's anime. Heck, maybe DBZ is the "No Homers" style technicality. "It says no animes, we're allowed to have one."

At least it would be if animes was a word.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:40 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Raki wrote:As fucking awesome as Geneon/Pioneer is, do you think they will get mainstream recognition for their work?
I would hope so, what with the breadth of series they've done. Samurai Champloo was a successful anime, Akira is damned near renowned, Trigun is another hit, the Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate releases...they've done a lot. And need we forget who actually distributed DragonBall Z to begin with? :P

-Corey
And yet Geneon wasn't making enough money and seems to be going under T-T

That sadi DBZ Season 1 does NOT deserve this award, especially if its agains the amazing doctor who sets.