Dragonball figures can cause cancer!?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Dragonball figures can cause cancer!?

Post by Teclo » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:03 pm

I was just looking through Amazon.com for Dragonball figures thinking it'd be good to get a DBZ figure to go alongside my only other two figures (Lark of Diebuster and Rei of Evangelion) when I saw a SSJ Gohan figure. You can see it here. It doesn't look too hot, to be honest, so I was about to close the tab when something caught my eye:
Product Details

* Shipping Weight: 2 pounds
* ASIN: B000MMC2T8
* California residents: Click here for Proposition 65 warning.
No it wasn't the shipping weight or ASIN (whatever that is) but rather the "Propostion 65 warning". I clicked on the link in order to see what this strange sounding thing was. Here's what it said (I don't know if this is a famous thing in California or the USA in general):
California Proposition 65

Attention California Residents:

California's Proposition 65 entitles California consumers to special warnings for products that contain chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm if those products expose consumers to such chemicals above certain threshold levels. We care about our customers' safety and hope that the information below helps with your buying decisions.

The general Proposition 65 notice is as follows:

WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
So simply, what the hell?
Last edited by Teclo on Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:10 pm

Does this have something to do with the lead paint on some toys from China? Not to plug another site or anything, but I saw an article about this on Seibertron.com. Well, at least I know my Transformers are safe.

On the other hand...

*peers at Goku action figure*

Daizensushi-x
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daizensushi-x » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:23 pm

I don't wanna throw away SSJ Vegetto! :cry:
-My First short film
Revenge at the Dojo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCK5q8Bcof8

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:18 pm

In the unlikely event that anyone's interested, I did have a dream once that involved eating an SSJ2 (adult) Gohan figure... :?

Is this that general "Lots of stuff is being recalled now" scare? Or something else?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:28 pm

caejones wrote:In the unlikely event that anyone's interested, I did have a dream once that involved eating an SSJ2 (adult) Gohan figure... :?
Yes, the cancer thing is what makes that a bad idea. :P

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:36 pm

caejones wrote:In the unlikely event that anyone's interested, I did have a dream once that involved eating an SSJ2 (adult) Gohan figure... :?

Is this that general "Lots of stuff is being recalled now" scare? Or something else?
I don't think it's a big scare or anything, it's just that it sounds like there some law that "citizens of California" must be told of any carcinogenic elements in items they are buying. We have a similar thing in the UK (I'm not saying it's unique to the UK but it's just an equivalent thing) where food has to say nutritional information clearly in this universal chart along with what percentage of your daily recommended allowance it makes up. For example, this soft drink I have with me now contains 38% of the recommended daily allowance of sugar per 250ml serving, so if I drank the whole 2 litre bottle it'd be 304% of the amount of sugar I'm supposed to have per day.

Things also have to say if they have nuts, gluten or milk in. Of course, having too much sugar or carbohydrates per day isn't as bad as getting cancer from an action figure...

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:44 pm

Teclo wrote:Of course, having too much sugar or carbohydrates per day isn't as bad as getting cancer from an action figure...
That's probably how I'm going to die. Just for the irony. Eh, at least they'll have something interesting to scribble on my gravestone.

"Wow. Did not see that coming."

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:37 pm

Wow, I wouldn't risk it. Although how cool would it be for everyone to hear I was killed by a Sajin? action figure :lol:
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:34 pm

Do these figures come from Yardrat or something?

Daizensushi-x
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daizensushi-x » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:19 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Do these figures come from Yardrat or something?
*no one in room laughs*

EXCEPT FOR ME! I'll SAVE YOUR COMEDY HOUR! :lol:
-My First short film
Revenge at the Dojo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCK5q8Bcof8

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:52 pm

That particular Gohan figure is from Irwin Toy, who manufactered DBZ toys from the later 1990's into the early 2000's. I'm surprised a figure that is three years or more old is on this list. I would say it is an error that it is marked with that warning, when this lead paint stuff is something that's only been discovered in toys made in the last year or so, but who can say for sure.

*Glances over at the bookcase at the other end of room with well over 200+ of these figures*

Well, I guess when I am told I have cancer, I'll know why..

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:22 pm

The only one of the paint I can think of that has that code in California is Cadmium, which is a metal, and is also in acrylic paints to give the vibrant colors such as yellow and red.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:37 pm

Eh, a ton of crap is put on that list for Prop 65. The Playstation 3 was even on it at one point, as I recall. It's a load of crap.

-Corey

Hironobu Timex

Post by Hironobu Timex » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:15 pm

I bet tap water is far deadlier than action figures!

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:40 am

WARNING!

Please, do not eat this action figure, nor should you lodge it into your vagina.

That is all.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:00 am

Heh, yeah, I think you're basicly safe so long as you don't go around licking it or putting it in your mouth.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.