"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:35 am

Aaaaaand there's the Gohan trailer.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been blatantly inspired by Akira Toriyama's manga.

cringey

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by cringey » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:37 am

Characters seem to play similar. Well, that's what you get when you want to appeal more to casuals.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:27 am

Hate to say they kind of made ultimate gohan look 'boring' for lack of a better word. That Super Kamehameha doesn't even look any bigger than a regular one.

They also blew the intro. I thought for sure they would have used iconic entrance back from supreme kais planet. I couldn't really remember the scene they used here.

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:00 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:So, to get back on topic, it would be hard to imagine a Dragon Ball game nowadays without Beerus. I am certain at this point the GoD will be on the roster. My question is will Super Saiyan God Goku also be on the roster?
No, God, please, no.
2 Gokus and 2 Vegetas are already more than enough.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:18 pm

Gohan looks super bland and boring, which is exactly what everyone has been saying he'd be since the game was announced, and why the idea that he was a lock for a this game seemed so silly until that URL was discovered.

Sigh.

Well I guess the Gohan fans got what they wanted at least.

And I guess it speaks well for the game that this is the first ho-hum character reveal they've had so far.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:19 pm

Shit, I was really excited for Ultimate Gohan but damn does he look boring.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:33 pm

As always I like the animation work, it`s suberb and whereas Supers really look like supers in these trailers is a moot point, they usually don`t.

That said, I can get what you mean by boring. He doesn`t look that different than say, Goku.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:36 pm

We didn't see the only interesting element of the character, the "elder kai power up". There's an activation but that really doesn't tell us anything except it might be used to extend combos. I need to see how it works before putting Gohan as one of the dullest characters yet.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:59 pm

Yeah was hoping for more. But cool to see Masenko. Though the most interesting thing I saw was the burst unleashed potential thing. It looks like it could lead to a way to extend combo's and even be used defensively possibly with the way it blew Kid Boo away. Kinda like explosive wave in the Tenkaichi games.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:01 pm

Well... that was anti-climatic. I hoped that they will at least give Gohan this giant punch move as a lv1:
https://youtu.be/bsI8QkAHre0?t=93
it sure looks more epic then his average size Ultimate Kamehameha.
And I was hoping to see his unique energy bar mechanic being revealed, but it's not.

Well, still pretty nice for the worst character of a fighting game. :)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:06 pm

I guess adult Gohan is the least popular character.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:56 pm

had to copy this from the SRK boards :D
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:34 pm

I think it would have been more interesting if he didn't have any projectile attacks at all, since his fight with Boo was all hand-to-hand. That would make him stand out more.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:51 pm

The palm push..., that's from when he pushed the car of some bank robbers right? I'm pretty sure it is.
Damn, the Great Saiyaman would be amazing in this game. They should have included him since he's half of Adult Gohan material. Serious mode and Silly mode, I bet Arc Systems could come up with something interesting.

I don't blame them for including this version of Gohan since he's the current representation of the character, even knowing there's so many better candidates I want the character in, his absence wouldn't feel right to me.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:36 pm

I'm still keen for Gohan, but the format of these trailers isn't the best method of showing him off. His big hook is very stat/system focused, which doesn't come across in a trailer that doesn't even show the HUD. Gotenks and Buu looked so much better because the action is right there on screen for them.

They should have released his trailer in the middle though. Having two cool trailers followed by a mediocre one is a little deflating. At least we'll get some big reveals in a couple weeks.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:52 pm

-Ultimate Gohan trailer-

Welp, what a underwhelming trailer. They screwed up!

This trailer just make it obvious Ultimate Gohan is only in because of his popularity, since he doesn't have nothing unique to offer.
He doesn't have anything flashy in the show, so either they go for an interesting approach (which judging by the V-Jump scan they are) or he doesn't stand out. His appearance is not unique either, he's just Goku with a different haircut, so there's really nothing going for him.

The scans said he can damage his opponents by powering up and the higher the meter is, the stronger we will see his attacks become. That's the mechanic I wanted to see, but this trailer did a terrible job on showing that. To make it worse, this one just came out after Gotenks and Kid Buu trailers, which doesn't help at all in hiding how bland Ultimate Gohan is.

I believe he will be slightly more interesting than this, but the bad trailer and circumstances don't help.

Props out for they giving him Masenko and Kiai though. Two good decisions. If his Kiai can work as a counter, that would be even better.
That thumbs up in the outro is fantastic even though it's just like SSJ Goku's outro, I love it.

Anyway, now I need my Beerus trailer more than ever.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:57 pm

LightBing wrote:The palm push..., that's from when he pushed the car of some bank robbers right? I'm pretty sure it is.
Damn, the Great Saiyaman would be amazing in this game. They should have included him since he's half of Adult Gohan material. Serious mode and Silly mode, I bet Arc Systems could come up with something interesting.

I don't blame them for including this version of Gohan since he's the current representation of the character, even knowing there's so many better candidates I want the character in, his absence wouldn't feel right to me.
Now that you mention it I'm surprised they didn't include the Great Saiyaman transformation and let him flip between the two for different moves and styles.

lord godly da don
Beyond Newbie

Post by lord godly da don » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:28 pm

Calling it right now Gohan is going to be top tier because of simple combos for high damage

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:52 pm

It's too bad, Gohan had some new attacks in Super but this is based on Buu saga Gohan where he only fought for what...like 2-3 episodes against Buu?

Ridiculous.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:58 pm

precita wrote:It's too bad, Gohan had some new attacks in Super but this is based on Buu saga Gohan where he only fought for what...like 2-3 episodes against Buu?

Ridiculous.
His model was finished long before he had a big fight in the Tournament.