"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:53 am

ToshioWrites wrote:[spoiler]I think the episode 123 title is referring to Gohan. "Full Power" is a phrase that Gohan has used a bunch in this arc including in episode 118 and the NEP for 120. Also Also he used it a couple times in the episode he fought Goku with. Unleashed could have something to do with Potential Unleashed Gohan which is his manga name for Ultimate form. Also spirit could be referring to his fighting spirit which Piccolo was trying to drill into him back in episode 88. Just my thoughts[/spoiler]
Everyone saying that Vegeta might gets UI but what if Gohan is the one achieve that state? Would ya like it? :D
Artorias wrote:Here's a novel concept: Give Vegeta his OWN thing for once. I'm getting really tired of him just chasing after Goku, and what's even worse is the fans seem to be completely OK with this.
Care to explain what's the issue in wanting Vegeta to be even with Goku in power? :eh:
precita wrote:Where is all this sudden speculation for Vegeta coming from anyway? He's probably just going to get knocked out similar to Piccolo/Krillin/Tien without much fanfare.
Nope, Vegeta is a much bigger character than these three ever will be and not only power wise :)
Last edited by Noah on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:55 am

Noah wrote:
ToshioWrites wrote:[spoiler]I think the episode 123 title is referring to Gohan. "Full Power" is a phrase that Gohan has used a bunch in this arc including in episode 118 and the NEP for 120. Also Also he used it a couple times in the episode he fought Goku with. Unleashed could have something to do with Potential Unleashed Gohan which is his manga name for Ultimate form. Also spirit could be referring to his fighting spirit which Piccolo was trying to drill into him back in episode 88. Just my thoughts[/spoiler]
Everyone saying that Vegeta might gets UI but what if Gohan is the one achieve that state? Would ya like it? :D

I don't think gohan should or will get UI. To me that's something that only people who train with a angel or god should be able to attain. I do think Gohan will achieve a power up of some sort

Supersaiyanbulla
Temporarily Banned

Post by Supersaiyanbulla » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:57 am

I wish this arc would end already.
Last edited by Supersaiyanbulla on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:33 am

I remembered Terez saying V-jump might release early to tie-in with Jump Festa. That's a nice surprise. :D

Speaking of, I saw a tweet on Herms' feed saying the Feb. issue will have some 'universe-level' piece of information. Would that be this month or next month's issue?

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:35 am

I just want the manga leaks

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:36 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:The Feb. issue will have some 'universe-level' piece of information. Would that be this month or next month's issue?
It's the one releasing in the next few days. With it releasing alongside Jump Festa it'll either be the next arc or movie (or both).
Last edited by sintzu on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Supersaiyanbulla
Temporarily Banned

Post by Supersaiyanbulla » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:36 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
I remembered Terez saying V-jump might release early to tie-in with Jump Festa. That's a nice surprise. :D

Speaking of, I saw a tweet on Herms' feed saying the Feb. issue will have some 'universe-level' piece of information. Would that be this month or next month's issue?
Probably this month.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:49 am

sintzu wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:The Feb. issue will have some 'universe-level' piece of information. Would that be this month or next month's issue?
It's the one releasing in the next few days. With it releasing alongside Jump Festa it'll either be the next arc or movie (or both).
I'm really curious how a movie would work. I'd like it to be in-continuity rather than a non-serial like the Z-movies but that might be tricky to navigate without some kind of time skip.

I had a dream last night that they announced Super would end with the Tournament of Powet (which was planned all along) but the story would continue as a series of monthly light novel chapters until the movie came out next November, then a new series would launch in summer 2019. How horrifying! :lol:

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:22 pm

Noah wrote:
Artorias wrote:Here's a novel concept: Give Vegeta his OWN thing for once. I'm getting really tired of him just chasing after Goku, and what's even worse is the fans seem to be completely OK with this.
Care to explain what's the issue in wanting Vegeta to be even with Goku in power? :eh:
Oh no, I don't have a problem with Vegeta getting close to Goku in power. I'm just sick of the tired old process, where Goku gets a form, then Vegeta just gets the same form right after. I want to see him do what Gohan did, where he went his own route using a different sort of power. Like I said in my post, have Vegeta discover some clever way to amplify his power beyond simply changing his hair color to match Goku's.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:24 pm

Artorias wrote:Have Vegeta discover some clever way to amplify his power beyond simply changing his hair color to match Goku's.
Falling under Babidi's control is the closest we got to him doing something outside the box. Come to think of it, he was the first one to reach Assj so there's that as well.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Artorias wrote: Oh no, I don't have a problem with Vegeta getting close to Goku in power. I'm just sick of the tired old process, where Goku gets a form, then Vegeta just gets the same form right after. I want to see him do what Gohan did, where he went his own route using a different sort of power. Like I said in my post, have Vegeta discover some clever way to amplify his power beyond simply changing his hair color to match Goku's.
But with UI, Vegeta trained for it just like Goku. So in this case, it really doesn't make much sense for Vegeta to go his own way.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

ssjgbunnyman

Post by ssjgbunnyman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:02 pm

But with UI, Vegeta trained for it just like Goku. So in this case, it really doesn't make much sense for Vegeta to go his own way
As much as I'd prefer Vegeta deviate from the norm of taking Goku's sloppy seconds and get something unique to him for a change, Vegeta is destined to attain UI at some point. Whether or not he achieves it during his fight with Jiren in the tournament(which is likely why he's challenging him in the first place) or during some future arc remains to be seen but it's going to happen.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Simere wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Looking at these comments, and I think we may just end up having a Resurrection F scenario all over again. When leaks come out and expectations are so ridiculously high, as well as people completely making up their mind of being so sure of themselves, and then raging/being disappointed when it doesn't happen. "I am the King of Saiyans" anybody?
I am the King of Saiyans?
If you were around during the speculations of the Resurrection F movie, there was a so called leak that Vegeta would call himself the king of all saiyans as he defeats Freeza. Some people were so sure that would be the case, but that never happened. There was a ton who said something along the lines of "It's the only way this movie could go." "Toriyama is genius so he will have Vegeta kill Freeza and save the day". Or something along those lines.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:37 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Simere wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Looking at these comments, and I think we may just end up having a Resurrection F scenario all over again. When leaks come out and expectations are so ridiculously high, as well as people completely making up their mind of being so sure of themselves, and then raging/being disappointed when it doesn't happen. "I am the King of Saiyans" anybody?
If you were around during the speculations of the Resurrection F movie, there was a so called leak that Vegeta would call himself the king of all saiyans as he defeats Freeza. Some people were so sure that would be the case, but that never happened. There was a ton who said something along the lines of "It's the only way this movie could go." "Toriyama is genius so he will have Vegeta kill Freeza and save the day". Or something along those lines.
Toriyama said he wanted Vegeta to be the hero and that Torishima liked what he came up with so it was understandable to expect something different than the typical "goku saves the day" movie. Then there was Freeza's voice actor saying "he lost the battle but won the war" which added to fans expectations.

The issue isn't fans having high expectations, it's the people running the franchise playing things too safe. If Toei happens to mess up 122&123 then fans are going to be disappointed based on what we know about them, who's working on them & the fact that Vegeta hasn't done anything major yet.
Last edited by sintzu on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:46 pm

sintzu wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
Simere wrote:

Toriyama said he wanted Vegeta to be the hero and that Torishima liked what he came up with so it was understandable to expect something different than the typical "goku saves the day" movie. Then there was Freeza's voice actor saying "he lost the battle but won the war" which added to fans expectations.

The issue isn't fans having high expectations, it's the people running the franchise playing things too safe.
WHY didnt this happen?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:50 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:WHY didnt this happen?
They're too afraid of stepping out of their comfort zone. It seems like they think fans will drop the franchise and it will crash and burn if they make the slightest change to DB's established formula. The last 2 movies and Super have set a very strong and solid foundation for DB to play around with things every now and then like what the original manga did so there's no excuse for it not to.
Last edited by sintzu on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:55 pm

sintzu wrote:
They're too afraid of stepping out of their comfort zone. It seems like they think fans will drop the franchise and it will crash and burn if they make the slightest change to DB's established formula.
Why would they think this? If I am not mistaken the Cell games was very popular and people loved ssj2 gohan beating cell. I believe shortly after he was voted even more popular than goku. Vegeta getting a win isn't going to hurt the franchise, hell i would say vegeta might have a bigger fanbase than goku and people would enjoy it

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:56 pm

They refuse to learn anything from Dragon Ball Heroes. :roll:
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:56 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:
sintzu wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:

The issue isn't fans having high expectations, it's the people running the franchise playing things too safe.
WHY didnt this happen?
While it wasn't a lie, it just wasn't what fans expected since who really saved the day was Whis, after Goku and Vegeta messed up.

Also, Toriyama never promised Vegeta would be the hero in the next movie. Only that he may or could.
Grimlock wrote:They refuse to learn anything from Dragon Ball Heroes. :roll:
And thank god.
BlueVegerot wrote:
sintzu wrote:
They're too afraid of stepping out of their comfort zone. It seems like they think fans will drop the franchise and it will crash and burn if they make the slightest change to DB's established formula.
Why would they think this? If I am not mistaken the Cell games was very popular and people loved ssj2 gohan beating cell. I believe shortly after he was voted even more popular than goku. Vegeta getting a win isn't going to hurt the franchise, hell i would say vegeta might have a bigger fanbase than goku and people would enjoy it
Gohan got #1 in the poll before he became a Super Saiyan 2. The vote happened around the Cell Jr attack. Also, the Cell Saga isn't as beloved in Japan as it is in parts of the world, especially the US. One reason by Cell who is the least favorite villain in Z in Japan.

As for Vegeta having a bigger fanbase than Goku:

Best Characters
1.Son Goku: 6,235 points
2.Vegeta: 2,527 points

3.Son Gohan: 2,131 points
4.Trunks: 1,487 points
5.Piccolo: 1,176 points
6.Son Goten: 798 points
7.Kuririn: 736 points
8.Majin Buu: 421 points
9.Freeza: 324 points
10.Android No.18: 204 points
11.Mister Satan: 201 points
12.Karin-sama: 185
13.Kame-sennin: 172 points
14.Cell: 170 points
15.Yamcha: 163 points
16.Tenshinhan: 125
17.Bulma: 112 points
18.Android No.17: 98 points
19.Yajirobe: 93 points
20.Videl: 86 points

Not likely. Vegeta fans just tend to be more vocal. In Japan, Goku has no equal.
Last edited by HeroR on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.