Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2682
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: oak park heights
Contact:

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:15 pm

DragonBallKing wrote: It's just like real life though, some people have better genetics than others but those with average genetics can still rise to the top with enough hard work and dedication like with Goku(Poor genetics+hard work) vs Vegeta( Elite genetics). Lacking a high midichlorean count does not mean a person is incapable of using the force, they just need to work harder.
Like I said, I was like 10 when I last saw PM, probably didn't understand it lol.
I havn't seen The Last Jedi yet so (no spoilers pls), but I personally did not like TFA because It felt like it was trying rely on nostalgia with too many rehashes. Maybe TLJ will change my mind but we will see.
I loved both tbh. 7 is prob my 2nd favorite, and 8 is my 3rd. 8 is better then 7 tho, I just really love 7 lol.
they/them

cat vibing

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7567
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:32 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:I havn't seen The Last Jedi yet so (no spoilers pls), but I personally did not like TFA because It felt like it was trying rely on nostalgia with too many rehashes. Maybe TLJ will change my mind but we will see.
Well, TLJ is a far more decent movie than TFA, but I believe it wasted some opportunities they could save it for Episode IX
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7766
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Noah wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:I havn't seen The Last Jedi yet so (no spoilers pls), but I personally did not like TFA because It felt like it was trying rely on nostalgia with too many rehashes. Maybe TLJ will change my mind but we will see.
Well, TLJ is a far more decent movie than TFA, but I believe it wasted some opportunities they could save it for Episode IX
Oh, definitely, but I still thought it was a good movie and it just leaves me with so many questions for the next!

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2682
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: oak park heights
Contact:

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:22 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Noah wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:I havn't seen The Last Jedi yet so (no spoilers pls), but I personally did not like TFA because It felt like it was trying rely on nostalgia with too many rehashes. Maybe TLJ will change my mind but we will see.
Well, TLJ is a far more decent movie than TFA, but I believe it wasted some opportunities they could save it for Episode IX
Oh, definitely, but I still thought it was a good movie and it just leaves me with so many questions for the next!
More hyped for 9 then I was 8, and I fucking loved 7 lol.
they/them

cat vibing

User avatar
dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1103
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:08 pm
Location: Spain

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by dbs fanboy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:48 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
dbs fanboy wrote:I don't know what's so wrong about the S-cells explanation.I mean it kinda makes sense. Also what the hell is a midichlorian or whatever?[/quote]

From Star Wars the prequel trilogy to be specific, basically a microscopic organism in all living things that makes some beings more force sensitive than others. Don't know why it gets hate either, the force is still a mystical thing and nothing changed that.
Huh, interesting. Damn Toriyama sure loves star wars.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:


dbgtFO wrote:

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:04 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
dbs fanboy wrote:I don't know what's so wrong about the S-cells explanation.I mean it kinda makes sense. Also what the hell is a midichlorian or whatever?[/quote]

From Star Wars the prequel trilogy to be specific, basically a microscopic organism in all living things that makes some beings more force sensitive than others. Don't know why it gets hate either, the force is still a mystical thing and nothing changed that.
Huh, interesting. Damn Toriyama sure loves star wars.
I sure hope someone loves Dragon Ball enough to Last Jedi the shit out of it one day.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Doctor. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:15 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I sure hope someone loves Dragon Ball enough to Last Jedi the shit out of it one day.
I sure hope someone loves Dragon Ball enough to hand it to someone competent one day.

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:22 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I sure hope someone loves Dragon Ball enough to Last Jedi the shit out of it one day.
I sure hope someone loves Dragon Ball enough to hand it to someone competent one day.
It needs someone that'll definitively say that the old mold is gone. DB should've stayed dead and done but if it must go on, it has to evolve by moving away from the Toriyama-isms or rather blandly copying them and set a new course. Some would say DB isn't DB without that stuff but if some shit has to go the way of the dodo for the material to be good, it's a sacrifice worth making. DB certainly has quite a few bad trends it could do away with.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Doctor. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:25 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I sure hope someone loves Dragon Ball enough to Last Jedi the shit out of it one day.
I sure hope someone loves Dragon Ball enough to hand it to someone competent one day.
It needs someone that'll definitively say that the old mold is gone. DB should've stayed dead and done but if it must go on, it has to evolve by moving away from the Toriyama-isms or rather blandly copying them and set a new course. Some would say DB isn't DB without that stuff but if some shit has to go the way of the dodo for the material to be good, it's a sacrifice worth making. DB certainly has quite a few bad trends it could do away with.
I don't get people that say "DB isn't DB without x." Fine? You still have the original series, that isn't going anywhere; let new writers do what they want with the setting and characters. Art survives on innovation, nothing else.

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7567
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Noah » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:05 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I sure hope someone loves Dragon Ball enough to Last Jedi the shit out of it one day.
Like the Future Trunks arc finale didn't did that already, huh? :P
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:21 pm

Noah wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I sure hope someone loves Dragon Ball enough to Last Jedi the shit out of it one day.
Like the Future Trunks arc finale didn't did that already, huh? :P
Future Trunks ME3'd it, Last Jedi does its twists with foreshadowing and purpose. It's also not afraid of anything whereas the FT arc should end with Trunks a broken wreck (especially as the anime gives him actual PTSD) instead of just acting like the worst thing ever didn't happen to him.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7567
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Noah » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:38 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Future Trunks ME3'd it, Last Jedi does its twists with foreshadowing and purpose. It's also not afraid of anything whereas the FT arc should end with Trunks a broken wreck (especially as the anime gives him actual PTSD) instead of just acting like the worst thing ever didn't happen to him.
It still ended as the worst thing that happened to him. Both are basically the same: killing an obstacle in the crappiest way possible and showing to the audience that all the build was meant to nothing.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:29 am

Noah wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Future Trunks ME3'd it, Last Jedi does its twists with foreshadowing and purpose. It's also not afraid of anything whereas the FT arc should end with Trunks a broken wreck (especially as the anime gives him actual PTSD) instead of just acting like the worst thing ever didn't happen to him.
It still ended as the worst thing that happened to him. Both are basically the same: killing an obstacle in the crappiest way possible and showing to the audience that all the build was meant to nothing.
The ending doesn't reflect that at all, Trunks and Mai act like it's not that big of a deal and get sent into a copy of their future created by Whis (after the whole arc had both Whis and Beerus say they wouldn't time travel to fix everything for the good guys) and the entire tone of it is too jaringly up beat. The ending was too scared to actually go dark because, by all rights, Trunks should be completely broken by it.

Imagine if in last Jedi look just kept on being standard mcdefault Luke by very slightly sadder after all the bad stuff that happened, that's what the FT arc does with Trunks.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
Jackalope89
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 915
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:40 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Noah wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Future Trunks ME3'd it, Last Jedi does its twists with foreshadowing and purpose. It's also not afraid of anything whereas the FT arc should end with Trunks a broken wreck (especially as the anime gives him actual PTSD) instead of just acting like the worst thing ever didn't happen to him.
It still ended as the worst thing that happened to him. Both are basically the same: killing an obstacle in the crappiest way possible and showing to the audience that all the build was meant to nothing.
The ending doesn't reflect that at all, Trunks and Mai act like it's not that big of a deal and get sent into a copy of their future created by Whis (after the whole arc had both Whis and Beerus say they wouldn't time travel to fix everything for the good guys) and the entire tone of it is too jaringly up beat. The ending was too scared to actually go dark because, by all rights, Trunks should be completely broken by it.

Imagine if in last Jedi look just kept on being standard mcdefault Luke by very slightly sadder after all the bad stuff that happened, that's what the FT arc does with Trunks.
Not quite. It was to a time before Zamasu went on his rampage, with Beerus (and I assume Shin) were still alive.

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:47 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Noah wrote:
It still ended as the worst thing that happened to him. Both are basically the same: killing an obstacle in the crappiest way possible and showing to the audience that all the build was meant to nothing.
The ending doesn't reflect that at all, Trunks and Mai act like it's not that big of a deal and get sent into a copy of their future created by Whis (after the whole arc had both Whis and Beerus say they wouldn't time travel to fix everything for the good guys) and the entire tone of it is too jaringly up beat. The ending was too scared to actually go dark because, by all rights, Trunks should be completely broken by it.

Imagine if in last Jedi look just kept on being standard mcdefault Luke by very slightly sadder after all the bad stuff that happened, that's what the FT arc does with Trunks.
Not quite. It was to a time before Zamasu went on his rampage, with Beerus (and I assume Shin) were still alive.
Yes, a copy of his timeline before everything went to crap, after Whis and Beerus both kept telling everyone they wouldn't time travel or fix their crap in another timeline. You know how Beerus used to need to sleep? They should've just had him do that for this arc if they needed to get rid of him from just time traveling into the future, rofl stomping Black and sealing Zamasu away if they wanted him out of the way.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:12 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Noah wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:I havn't seen The Last Jedi yet so (no spoilers pls), but I personally did not like TFA because It felt like it was trying rely on nostalgia with too many rehashes. Maybe TLJ will change my mind but we will see.
Well, TLJ is a far more decent movie than TFA, but I believe it wasted some opportunities they could save it for Episode IX
Oh, definitely, but I still thought it was a good movie and it just leaves me with so many questions for the next!
JJ is back so expect a safe film that probably retcons stuff Rian has done. The reaction to TLJ prove people don't want a new generation to completely takeover (the new chars aren't that great tbf except for Po) same thing is gonna happen if DB ever goes that route.

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7567
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Noah » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:...people don't want a new generation to completely takeover (the new chars aren't that great tbf except for Po) same thing is gonna happen if DB ever goes that route.
I can't imagine Dragon Ball without Goku, but I would give it a pass though as it always depends on good storytelling, art and animation.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17570
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:39 pm

As much as I prefer long running stories to not move beyond a core individual or group of characters, I feel SW is inherently different than DB in that DB is a story about a central character and the world revolves around him. We learn more about the world he inhabits as he takes the journey. While the core of the SW universe revolves around the Skywalkers, the setting and even the title lends itself to stories more than just those about the Skywalkers. It's about a galaxy in continual war, so I can see characters coming in and out of the story, even though I think SW is at its best when it's about the Skywalkers. DB is about Goku. The tone of that story doesn't fit anyone else like it does Son Goku.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7567
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Noah » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:53 pm

I disagree as I believe SW can move on without the Skywalkers (KOTR is a good example) I think DB is also capable to move without Goku, there's not much world building on DB as there is on SW, that's a fact, but still a pretty interesting universe itself. It all depends in making characters that are appealing to the audience and good storylines.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
majinwarman
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1698
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:50 pm
Location: Freeza Planet 1

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by majinwarman » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:55 pm

Noah wrote:I disagree as I believe SW can move on without the Skywalkers (KOTR is a good example) I think DB is also capable to move without Goku, there's not much world building on DB as there is on SW, that's a fact, but still a pretty interesting universe itself. It all depends in making characters that are appealing to the audience and good storylines.
They could make spin-off mangas about different universes that they have shown in Super. I think that would be a great way to have Dragon Ball without Goku.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Post Reply