"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:54 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:SSJ Blue Vegetto is a total nobody at this point. A fully mastered UI Goku can defeat him gazillions of times over.
This is just assumption as nothing supports that either UI Goku or Jiren had surpassed Vegetto Blue.
perucho1990 wrote:Vegeta winning the whole thing would make the arc the best in the history of the franchise. 2018 should be the year of Vegeta.
Even though I would like seeing Vegeta winning for a change that's just another overblown statement. Best arc in the whole franchise? That's just impossible.
supercat wrote:I seriously hope Gohan goes down next. The guy is boring to watch, his dialogue is cheesy while his fighting style is just pathetic. He's done more than enough at this point, and I feel he should make room for 17 and Frieza.
Oh sure like Vegeta is a total badass in this tournament, right? Pummelling everyone else and not saying stupid things like: "You just stole the spotlight." for reasons :eh:
Lapislettuce wrote:With all the respect i have for the fans of every character some Gohan fans are ridiculous. Gohan is already stated to be going all out against Dyspo soon. so what else do they want him to do ? beat Toppo and then beat Jiren ? it's very unlikely to happen. i don't know where their confidence for Gohan came from but he's not as safe as they're making him sound.
Why not? Remember that Gohan is the fighter with most potential from all remaining in U7, he can pretty much get a power-up or a new transformation and stomp everyone else like he always do :P
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:54 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:Is anyone starting to think that now that we have these spoilers, that by jiren being superior to a god of destruction, that they actually meant above that domain of power, cause holy shit. If toppo turns out to have been hidding power on the levels of the gods of destruction, and he said that anyone on his level is no match for jiren, then jiren is far stronger than i ever expected him to be. In fact, Jiren had to have been massively suppressed against episode 109 UI goku (adimit it, UI goku is yet to reach hakaishin level)
Jiren being suppressed back in 110 is something I thought most people thought. But you're right. Jiren is strong as fuck.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:03 pm

Michsi wrote:
Noah wrote:Also you gotta love that Goku and Vegeta are teaming up against Jiren, putting their Saiyan Pride BS aside and once again showing to understand the stakes of this tournament. I hope both them get UI and overwhelm this damn fool!
I can't help but wonder just how severely injured Vegeta is if he can team up with Goku the next episode.
Oh god, now we're gonna have TWO guys "out of stamina" somehow powering up and fighting constantly. Lovely.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:20 pm

Vegeta will be entirely incapacitated. Goku will use his body as a meat shield against Jiren though. The ultimate team up.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Liquir wrote:DBS 123-125 Spoilers
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/9 ... 4581964805
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I am so glad Jiren is wrecking the Goku and Vegeta fandoms. :lol:
I really want him to win this tournament.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Noah wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote:With all the respect i have for the fans of every character some Gohan fans are ridiculous. Gohan is already stated to be going all out against Dyspo soon. so what else do they want him to do ? beat Toppo and then beat Jiren ? it's very unlikely to happen. i don't know where their confidence for Gohan came from but he's not as safe as they're making him sound.
Why not? Remember that Gohan is the fighter with most potential from all remaining in U7, he can pretty much get a power-up or a new transformation and stomp everyone else like he always do :P
I honestly hope he does show something new. DBZ is a transformation driven show, and even Trunks got a new transformation literally out of thin air. Because as much I like Gohan (I consider him to be the most likable out of the Saiyans), he hasn't shown us anything new for the entirety of Super's run. Hopefully his battle with Dyspo brings out something new. Maybe fighting (albeit prolly losing) to "God of Destruction" Toppo would bring out something new? Considering he finds Toppo to be cool and all. Unless his battle against Dyspo really is his final stand.

I think many are underestimating Dyspo. He made Hit struggle, who was later able to make Jiren struggle (although momentarily). I have no problems with him versus Golden Freeza, considering the latter openly didn't want to challenge Jiren unlike Hit (will admit, Toppo potentially going to another level as the spoilers imply have changed my outlook on the tournament a lot, since I wanted Vegeta vs Toppo, then Golden Freeza vs Toppo due to Vegeta vs Jiren, and now Vegeta vs Toppo and Golden Freeza vs Dyspo due to the spoilers :lol:).

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:24 pm

Artorias wrote: Oh god, now we're gonna have TWO guys "out of stamina" somehow powering up and fighting constantly. Lovely.
Let's hope for at least a broken tibia or two. He can still shot ki beams while laying down on his back.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:26 pm

sintzu wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:Vegeta winning the whole thing would make the arc the best in the history of the franchise.

2018 should be the year of Vegeta.
That'd be the best Xmas gift ever. Even if he doesn't, I gotta say I misjudged this arc as it's turning out better than I gave it credit for (Yes, vegeta getting the spotlight is the reason I like it now, no need to point it out. 8) ).

It is. :mrgreen: To think some of the none Vegeta believers thought he'd be knocked out by the likes of Ribrianne. :lol:
Do you guys seriously judge the quality of an arc based on how much shine Vegeta gets? I can't even comprehend how people can look at the show like that. How well my favorite character performs doesn't determine whether or not something is "good" in my mind. Goku is my favorite character, and he's been the focus of this whole arc, and I still recognize this shit isn't that good overall.
Last edited by Artorias on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:31 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
Noah wrote: Why not? Remember that Gohan is the fighter with most potential from all remaining in U7, he can pretty much get a power-up or a new transformation and stomp everyone else like he always do :P
I honestly hope he does show something new. DBZ is a transformation driven show, and even Trunks got a new transformation literally out of thin air. Because as much I like Gohan (I consider him to be the most likable out of the Saiyans), he hasn't shown us anything new for the entirety of Super's run. Hopefully his battle with Dyspo brings out something new. Maybe fighting (albeit prolly losing) to "God of Destruction" Toppo would bring out something new? Considering he finds Toppo to be cool and all. Unless his battle against Dyspo really is his final stand.

I think many are underestimating Dyspo. He made Hit struggle, who was later able to make Jiren struggle (although momentarily). I have no problems with him versus Golden Freeza, considering the latter openly didn't want to challenge Jiren unlike Hit (will admit, Toppo potentially going to another level as the spoilers imply have changed my outlook on the tournament a lot, since I wanted Vegeta vs Toppo, then Golden Freeza vs Toppo due to Vegeta vs Jiren, and now Vegeta vs Toppo and Golden Freeza vs Dyspo due to the spoilers :lol:).
I'm holding out hope that defeating Dispo with Freeza and then battling Top will push Gohan-kun to finally achieving this new "ultimate form different from" his father's. I certainly don't expect it to be equal to Ultra Instinct in any way, but it really doesn't have to be; I just really want to see Gohan-kun break through his limits like he always has and reach the potential Vegeta keeps bringing up.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:33 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Wow these spoilers or rather teasers are quite something.

-So Jiren is gonna just let Vegeta go....I'm gonna keep questioning him if he doesn't start eliminating Universe 7 people. Awaiting episode to fully judge.
-I would think Freeza alone is enough for Dyspo at Golden Freeza level honestly.
-I'd rather Gohan vs Dyspo and Freeza vs Toppo because then we have the Ultimate Evil vs Ultimate Justice.
-If Gohan goes up against Toppo then I want some Saiyaman antics just because he also digs the poses and stuff.
-Not surprised Goku and Vegeta teaming up is not gonna be very effective.
-I'm ok with Goku and Vegeta teaming up as it's been a while since they have had just the two of them. I mean not that long, but at least it's not as dull as the beginning of this battle royal.
-Wonder what 17 is gonna be doing since he's not mentioned in any of these? Probably fighting one of the 3 I'd guess.

Though honestly I'd be totally behind Vegeta getting UI or a big moment, IF he actually had some damn build up. He's had jack shit. Krillin had more build up than him. Vegeta barely has been the focus on this arc as a character. He has no story arc going for him. Freeza has way more going for him to apparently have a greater power in hiding or something. Gohan and Freeza have probably had the biggest build up for the arc. 17 and Krillin also had some build up too. I'd be fine with Vegeta outshining them if like in say Resurrection F he actually had more of a tie to the story and build up, but he doesn't. We have Freeza's great return and scheming as his story of this arc. We have Gohan returning to form and not wanting to be weakling who is useless anymore as his story. 17 sorta has this return story that's less interesting than Freeza's. Krillin had his story of showing weaker guys can be of great use in strategy, and using it in the tournament (How well that paid off is up to you).

Vegeta....uh.....he participates because Bra is born now....so he can fight now as he wishes....that's it. If they did more of a focus on how much Vegeta cares for his family and will protect them, or having more episodes dedicating to his build up, I'd be down for him. But he's not gotten it at all. Not to mention Vegeta is written so poorly and boring in this arc. His lines are all straight up Generic Vegeta Blathering. While I really enjoyed Vegeta in all the arcs before this one...he's just really bad in this arc. I don't understand how some can call Gohan boring in this arc when he has a story arc going for him while he was boring in the previous arcs, while Vegeta farts out the same generic babble in this arc and uses none of what made him great in the previous arcs, as well as having no character arc in this story arc at all.
Gohan's fighting style has always been boring imo, and this arc plot is just badly handled,we don't even have an idea about the character of final antagonist.Is he a good guy or an ass hole?
His fighting style boring or not, he is still the more interesting character in this arc to me as he actually has a story arc going for him. Vegeta has 0 going for him this arc. While the last 4 arcs I'd say Vegeta is easily the more interesting character than Gohan, he's super bland in this arc and spouting generic Vegeta babble we had during the midway Z arc portion of the story.
Michsi wrote:All these anti-Gohan posts just make me root for the poor guy even more ;_;
Which I find funny when outside of Jiren, Vegeta is the most generic character in this arc. It's like the rest of Dragon Ball Super never happened for him as the interesting and fun Vegeta of all the arcs before this one is gone, and is replaced by Generic mid Z Vegeta who says the same boring tripe over and over again.
I think Goku and Vegeta have honestly flipped this arc. Goku was insufferable for most of this show before now, while Vegeta was still pretty interesting. Now, Vegeta is just a boring caricature, while Goku is the best he's been since like the Namek saga in my opinion. I'm loving what they're doing with Goku this arc in terms of his personality and interactions.
sintzu wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Vegeta is the most generic character in this arc.
How could you say such a thing ? :cry: The poor guy is fighting for his newborn daughter (and loyal fan base. 8))
But he LITERALLY hasn't mentioned that ONCE dude. You're just filling in the blanks on what could have made him interesting. He's done nothing but spout generic Cell saga one liners. I don't think he's said a single interesting line with the exception of his interaction with Cabba.
Last edited by Artorias on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:36 pm

Artorias wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: Gohan's fighting style has always been boring imo, and this arc plot is just badly handled,we don't even have an idea about the character of final antagonist.Is he a good guy or an ass hole?
His fighting style boring or not, he is still the more interesting character in this arc to me as he actually has a story arc going for him. Vegeta has 0 going for him this arc. While the last 4 arcs I'd say Vegeta is easily the more interesting character than Gohan, he's super bland in this arc and spouting generic Vegeta babble we had during the midway Z arc portion of the story.
Michsi wrote:All these anti-Gohan posts just make me root for the poor guy even more ;_;
Which I find funny when outside of Jiren, Vegeta is the most generic character in this arc. It's like the rest of Dragon Ball Super never happened for him as the interesting and fun Vegeta of all the arcs before this one is gone, and is replaced by Generic mid Z Vegeta who says the same boring tripe over and over again.
I think Goku and Vegeta have honestly flipped this arc. Goku was insufferable for most of this show before now, while Vegeta was still pretty interesting. Now, Vegeta is just a boring caricature, while Goku is the best he's been since like the Namek saga in my opinion. I'm loving what they're doing with Goku this arc in terms of his personality and interactions.
Goku's interactions with Freeza and he Cyborgs have been fantastic.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:37 pm

Artorias wrote: Do you guys seriously judge the quality of an arc based on how much shine Vegeta gets? I can't even comprehend how people can look at the show like that. How well my favorite character performs doesn't determine whether or not something is "good" in my mind. Goku is my favorite character, and he's been the focus of this whole arc, and I still recognize this shit isn't that good overall.
Agreed just because vegeta gets shine that doesn't make the arc any better,just looks at the manga in u6 and Ft Trunks,they treated Vegeta better yet those stories are inferior to the Anime version.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:38 pm

Jigurashi wrote:
Artorias wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:

Goku's interactions with Freeza and he Cyborgs have been fantastic.
Absolutely. I feel like people are really sleeping on this too. Him and 17 teaming up multiple times as sort of unofficial partners has been a treat, and his bromance with Freeza has made me completely regret ever doubting the decision to bring Freeza into this.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Artorias wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: Gohan's fighting style has always been boring imo, and this arc plot is just badly handled,we don't even have an idea about the character of final antagonist.Is he a good guy or an ass hole?

But he LITERALLY hasn't mentioned that ONCE dude. You're just filling in the blanks on what could have made him interesting. He's done nothing but spout generic Cell saga one liners. I don't think he's said a single interesting line with the exception of his interaction with Cabba.
Yeah they really have switched spots. I found Goku dull but now he's interesting me again this arc. Vegeta I found like the best character in Super potentially, and now he's become one of the most boring this arc.

I think like Jiren you can basically make up most of Vegeta's lines on a dart board. Throw a dart on a generic Cell arc Vegeta line and you'll get his material here.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheGreatSaiyaman
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGreatSaiyaman » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:41 pm

Kinda long but....
The crux of the anti-Gohan argument is that he's boring, bland, only shines when he's dominating so why not give him a chance against Toppo, an overwhelmingly strong threat? His personality is one of a goofy guy who enjoys fighting like his father, but isn't as willing to put in the effort to reach new heights despite having such great 'potential'. He doesn't enjoy killing or unnecessary violence but he fights for what's right in his eyes. But now the story's changed - Gohan realises the peril in the T.of.P, despite disapproving of what his father did to set up the tournament, before eventually changing his mind and going onboard team U7, starting with the Zen Exhibition match, where despite the draw, he used SS1 as an active radar, an actual unseen strategy in order to fight. He realises that he should be at a way stronger level if he's to compete against the multiverse's strongest so he seeks out Piccolo, who much to my surprise, bodies the f*** out of him in the first spar to show him his errors. These constant reminders along with some inspiration from Big Green lead to the grand return of the Ultimate form, which was awesome because Gohan's transformations have sucked in comparison to everyone else in Super(they still do, I mean Frieza gets a whole twirl and metamorphosis, Goku and Vegeta get the cracking egg type thing, you get my point :) )

After training a little bit more with his teacher, he knows he has to face the strongest to test himself, which leads to episode 90, one of the greatest Gohan battles of all-time against his father, aka the guy, Goku. Yeah he loses, but he put up a hell of a fight and he could only be knocked out by a blow from an SSB KK x whatever level Goku is feeling like, with the narrative now showing that Gohan can fight with the strongest in U7. Fast-forward to the tournament, and Gohan has had barely any great showings against opponents who truthfully should have been blitzed by him, to give him a good start and show him off as a strong, viable challenge. He's been protected all tournament, which was criticised by a lot of people for a while, so when Piccolo got eliminated, Gohan found himself with a new challenge - independently fighting against U3. Did he look strong there? Yes and no. On the one hand, he fought against all three robots and the fusion, but on the other hand a.) they didn't get erased b.) needed help from Goku and Vegeta c.)just played a side role in the beam struggle.

And now we're here, at the last 9 minutes of the Tournament. The big battle: Universe 7 vs Universe 11. The place where Gohan can really reach those new heights, and ascend beyond his previous limits to prove himself against opponents who we know from the storyline are incredibly strong. No-one's really said much about our boy beating Jiren because most fans realise it's non-sensical / plain bad writing if he does after having just came back and trained for so little against a potential God of Destruction level opponent, however what I see fit and what some seem open to him playing a support role against Dyspo whilst Frieza fights him and then a main fight against Toppo, who no doubt is incredibly strong at Full Power (imo SSB KK (x) level :lol:). This gives him a valuable role in the climax, and helps to further his arc of 'ascending to new heights unlike his father'. What better way would there be than to see Gohan getting battered by Toppo but finding the solution within himself to withstand the punishment, rise above it, and eliminate Toppo. Hell, I would be open to see the return of his sort-of-but not really Izuna (s/o my FGC people) against Toppo, like he did against Lavender or a completely new unique attack. And if after he's exhausted all his options (Masenko, Kamehameha, the other rapid beam fire thing he does, maybe an SBC - ok i'm pushing it here), he loses, we'll know he wasn't ready, which allows for more layers to his character, dealing with a loss/draw (double elimination) and its aftermath.

[spoiler]Tl:DR: Gohan should fight Toppo as it helps his character development and he's only been fighting weaker opponents until now. Forgot to add, I think 17 should join this fight and lose but not get eliminated, so the final fight is 17, G.Frieza, UI Goku, SSB Vegeta and perhaps Gohan (depending on the result) vs FP Jiren / El Hermano :D[/spoiler]

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:00 pm

Artorias wrote:Do you guys seriously judge the quality of an arc based on how much shine Vegeta gets ?
Not the entire arc but most of it. Vegeta makes sitting through the likes of Caulifla and Ribrianne somewhat doable.
Spider-Man wrote:Just looks at the manga in u6 and Ft Trunks,they treated Vegeta better yet those stories are inferior to the Anime version.
I think they're among the best chapters ever written for DB.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:03 pm

sintzu wrote:
Artorias wrote:Do you guys seriously judge the quality of an arc based on how much shine Vegeta gets ?
Not the entire arc but most of it. Vegeta makes sitting through the likes of Caulifla and Ribrianne somewhat doable.
So to be clear, you thought the Future Trunks arc was good simply because Vegeta got a lot of shine?

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Most exciting thing about these synopsis' to me is actually the thought of Toppo going all out. He had a great start, but I was worried he would just be completely tossed aside once Jiren entered the picture. All he's had so far was his brief stint against Vegeta, and while it gave us a lot of fun moments picking at Geets' Small Man Syndrome, it didn't really translate to a decent fight.

Speaking of Small Man Syndrome, add me to the list of people disappointed by Vegeta not being eliminated in 122. With the exception of 17 (who is conspicuously absent from the preview and any of these spoilers), everyone seems to be present and accounted for for the next few weeks. While it is nice to see that the Pride Troopers are putting up a good fight, I was kind of hoping it would be just a few more episodes left before the tournament ends since it is really starting to tire me out. Plus, I would want the big Takahashi episode to have a little more consequence.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Totamo wrote:Guys, dyspo isn't weak.
I'd say he is until otherwise. He couldn't even force Goku to use Blue constantly.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:07 pm

There will be different spoilers in the start of january right ?