"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Paragon1

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Paragon1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:57 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Jigurashi wrote:I think they could pull off a Vegeta centered saga. The thing is, the series clearly isn't about Vegeta so he likely won't ever be the one to finish a saga off. With that said, that doesn't mean it wouldn't make sense to have Vegeta finish one off.
I could see it working if next years arc is centered on Universe 6, it could be Vegetas Arc, like how the Zamasus Arc was Trunks arc.
Personally I would like to see ANY non-Goku arc. I quite liked in DBZ the "waiting for Goku" time. I'm not sure how that could happen these days with things like Instant Transmission or Whis's ultra fast travel time. No longer can one of the cast go to a planet far away, and need to "wait" for other cast members to arrive in adversary. But It would be cool to see the Androids (considering how awesome they have been in ToP) or Piccolo get up to something, in another universe and face of against a challenge without needing Goku to come to the rescue.

Android 17,18 and Krillin doing something with Universe 2 would be cool. Or maybe Piccolo and Gohan checking out the Namekians in another universe - Gohan could study the planet or something :/ (Clutching at straws a bit!!)

The best thing for Vegeta would be to go visit Planet Sadala (spelling??) on his own. But suspect Goku will be tagging along considering his links with Kale and Caulifla. (sp?)

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:32 pm

I want something more like an FT Saga handling of the characters. Goku didn't get too much screen time like he does in the ToP, but it's not like the others were largely reliant on him there as opposed to the stale formula of the Z Sagas with them usually doing nothing of note and needing to stall for Goku or constantly wonder when he'd arrive.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:43 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Well I'm sorry, but that's just a silly, unrealistic opinion to have. The franchise has NEVER been about Vegeta, and it never will be. It's the story of Goku, and I would think that fans would've realized this by now and given up that frankly stupid dream. That's actually really immature and bizarre to me. I could never imagine any other fandom actually complaining that a side character isn't the main character, and that the main character should cease being the main character. The hell?
Vegeta is also a main character, you mean that Goku is the current protagonist.

Besides, if "Goku time" is a good decision then why did DBGT flop?

We live in an era when its fun to bash the protagonist for being an overrated piece of trash :roll:
Trust me, that wasn't because of Goku. Goku was actually the best character in GT. Trunks was wimpy. Pan was annoying and Vegeta was boring.

Vegeta honestly shouldn't even be around anymore. Think about it, Goku's rivals never lasted this long and are usually replaced by someone better by now.
He only exists for the same reason Goku is the main character, he is easy to write stories around and once he becomes truly developed like many people conplained he hasn't. His relevance is gone.

You guys can bitch about Goku all day long, it won't change shit. In fact, knowing Toriyama, Goku might get even more attention.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:12 pm

Hakaishin Liquir wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote:
Totamo wrote: Gohan fans don't think so.
With all the respect i have for the fans of every character some Gohan fans are ridiculous. Gohan is already stated to be going all out against Dyspo soon. so what else do they want him to do ? beat Toppo and then beat Jiren ? it's very unlikely to happen. i don't know where their confidence for Gohan came from but he's not as safe as they're making him sound.
I've noticed that Gohan fans and Vegeta fans are very demanding.
They have more than almost anyone but they`ll never have the numba one spot. That`s a pretty weird place to be.

At least with Earthlings you get the in-story excuse that the genetic poll isn`t cheap.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:14 pm

Totamo wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Well I'm sorry, but that's just a silly, unrealistic opinion to have. The franchise has NEVER been about Vegeta, and it never will be. It's the story of Goku, and I would think that fans would've realized this by now and given up that frankly stupid dream. That's actually really immature and bizarre to me. I could never imagine any other fandom actually complaining that a side character isn't the main character, and that the main character should cease being the main character. The hell?

We live in an era when its fun to bash the protagonist for being an overrated piece of trash :roll:
Trust me, that wasn't because of Goku. Goku was actually the best character in GT. Trunks was wimpy. Pan was annoying and Vegeta was boring.

Vegeta honestly shouldn't even be around anymore. Think about it, Goku's rivals never lasted this long and are usually replaced by someone better by now.
He only exists for the same reason Goku is the main character, he is easy to write stories around and once he becomes truly developed like many people conplained he hasn't. His relevance is gone.

You guys can bitch about Goku all day long, it won't change shit. In fact, knowing Toriyama, Goku might get even more attention.
Goku fans should just be off this sort of discussions and not salt wounds. You don`t have to, you`re always gonna be fine :lol:
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:20 pm

Paragon1 wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
Jigurashi wrote:I think they could pull off a Vegeta centered saga. The thing is, the series clearly isn't about Vegeta so he likely won't ever be the one to finish a saga off. With that said, that doesn't mean it wouldn't make sense to have Vegeta finish one off.
I could see it working if next years arc is centered on Universe 6, it could be Vegetas Arc, like how the Zamasus Arc was Trunks arc.
Personally I would like to see ANY non-Goku arc. I quite liked in DBZ the "waiting for Goku" time. I'm not sure how that could happen these days with things like Instant Transmission or Whis's ultra fast travel time. No longer can one of the cast go to a planet far away, and need to "wait" for other cast members to arrive in adversary. But It would be cool to see the Androids (considering how awesome they have been in ToP) or Piccolo get up to something, in another universe and face of against a challenge without needing Goku to come to the rescue.

Android 17,18 and Krillin doing something with Universe 2 would be cool. Or maybe Piccolo and Gohan checking out the Namekians in another universe - Gohan could study the planet or something :/ (Clutching at straws a bit!!)

The best thing for Vegeta would be to go visit Planet Sadala (spelling??) on his own. But suspect Goku will be tagging along considering his links with Kale and Caulifla. (sp?)
Nice, I have been saying the exact samethings as well too!

I have been thinking the Toei is setting up connections between members of U7 and other members of other universes so they will develop together in the next arc that come up. The Androids already made this clear with how they said their faiths in the ToP seem to always be connected to U2 and in the end 17 and 18 seem to have allot of respect for them being who they where, honestly some of the best, not all, but the best moments from 17 and 18 came-out of their interactions with U2!

So I see a bond and future story arc between the Androids, Krillian and U2, it will help them develop their characters and keep them apart of the main DBS Storyline! :)

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:45 pm

If only pilaf gang continued with their robot suits..

The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Hakaishin Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hakaishin Liquir » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:53 pm

So Mule can make a robot so powerful that it's GoD level, but he can't make it talk normally?

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:56 pm

Hakaishin Liquir wrote:So Mule can make a robot so powerful that it's GoD level, but he can't make it talk normally?
That's the funny part.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:00 am

Hakaishin Liquir wrote:So Mule can make a robot so powerful that it's GoD level, but he can't make it talk normally?
A machine can't be perfect I guess, or he simply likes the idea of saying anything he wants, whenever he wants without having to face consequences..
Or, the option I personally go with, the robot is powered by his energy and is actually weaker than him, he simply likes to pilot it because he is a nerd..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:15 am

Wit the Dyspo being intimidated by Frieza's ruthlessness, I think there's a lot of potential there for an interesting fight. Frieza starts off not taking Dyspo seriously, mocking him and making coy threats, wondering if maybe he'll clip those ridiculous ears. Dyspo is actually scared, his last two defeats shattering some of his confidence, this alows Final FOrm Frieza to easily get some deadly shots until Toppo, Jiren or the eliminated Pride Troopers shout encouragement to him and get Dyspo fired up; thus resulting in him coming down on Frieza with such speed and ferocity that Frieza isn't allowed a moment to transform, which requires Gohan in for the save.

Hell, that could be somethignt hat factors in to Vegeta getting some good hits on Jiren. Hearing Frieza getting needlessly brutal with Dyspo distracts Jiren from his fight, allowing Vegeta and Goku to fuck him up.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:23 am

Kanassa wrote:Wit the Dyspo being intimidated by Frieza's ruthlessness, I think there's a lot of potential there for an interesting fight. Frieza starts off not taking Dyspo seriously, mocking him and making coy threats, wondering if maybe he'll clip those ridiculous ears. Dyspo is actually scared, his last two defeats shattering some of his confidence, this alows Final FOrm Frieza to easily get some deadly shots until Toppo, Jiren or the eliminated Pride Troopers shout encouragement to him and get Dyspo fired up; thus resulting in him coming down on Frieza with such speed and ferocity that Frieza isn't allowed a moment to transform, which requires Gohan in for the save.
I like this idea a lot more than I thought I would. The concept of a typically superior fighter being pushed back and put on the ropes by a weaker-but-quicker opponent allotting them no opportunity to power up or transform is something I wish was more prominent in Dragon Ball. I hope Dispo won't fall for Freeza's pizza.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:01 am

Totamo wrote:Vegeta honestly shouldn't even be around anymore. Think about it, Goku's rivals never lasted this long and are usually replaced by someone better by now.
That's because they weren't as good as Vegeta. Perfection can't be replaced so no one's going to waste their time trying.
perucho1990 wrote:Besides, if "Goku time" is a good decision then why did DBGT flop ?
To be fair to both Super and GT, Super has given others a LOT more to do compared to GT while GT's Goku at least in Ssj4 was well written.
Last edited by sintzu on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:03 am

perucho1990 wrote:Or just do like what Pokemon is currently doing and not have the show mostly centered on the MC.

They have their secondary characters have a good deserved amount of screen time, and not making the show stale and monotone. They have the guts to render Ash as a side character.

Toei should learn from that because Pokemon is also a big franchise like DBS.
Um, Goku has been a side character before.

Did you forget that there was a time that Gohan temporarily replaced Goku as the main protag?

Gohan was the main character in the Bojack Film, the second Broli film, the ending of the Cell saga, The beginning of the Boo saga, and DBZ's second opening featured him as the main character. Goten and Trunks were the main characters of the third Broli film. Goku had very little relevance during those times.

There have actually been plenty of times in the franchise where Goku was notably absent for some convenient reason where other characters had the chance to get screentime
Last edited by Cursemark505 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:05 am

Totamo wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
Artorias wrote:

That kind of talk will get you put on blast around here, but I agree wholeheartedly. Vegeta lost his interest a LONG fucking time ago. And it's a shame because Saiyan and Namek arc Vegeta is my second favorite character of all time in this franchise. But there's no denying that his rivalry with Goku is completely boring and stale at this point. The only good parts of their relationship are when they actually act like they're friends, but those moments are few and far between.
Mercenary wrote:
Artorias wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:

I'm not arguing that Goku should be the main focus all the time. This arc, for instance, has focused on him WAY too much. But your message made it sound like you straight up wanted Goku to cease being the main character, and to have the story focus more on Vegeta than him. Which, again, is silly and a completely unrealistic and futile dream that makes no sense.
And why does it make no sense?

Vegeta's character development is something that Goku's stale character could only dream of.

Vegeta more suits this role (protagonist) but whatever. We all know that's not gonna happen.

But only because it's not gonna happen, it doesn't make it idea stupid because it MAKES A LOT OF SENSE.
It doesn't make sense because you're asking for something utterly ridiculous, something that the creators never intended to happen. You're literally requesting that the writers make a different story than what they intend on making to appease your small, minority opinion. The story is about GOKU, and as a Dragon Ball fan, you should just accept that and move on. I'm sorry if you don't like it, but it was always intended to be that way. Vegeta is a side character, a prominent side character, but a side character nonetheless, and he was always meant to be that.

Also, let's stop pretending that DBS Vegeta is any less stale than DBS Goku. They're both at their low points as characters. Neither is ideal at the moment (although Goku has improved this arc, while I think Vegeta is the worst he's ever been as a character).
Last edited by Artorias on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:20 am

Ki Breaker wrote:If only Pilaf Gang continued with their robot suits..

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Wrong thread, mate.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:24 am

Noah wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:If only Pilaf Gang continued with their robot suits..

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Wrong thread, mate.
Naah, after careful consideration I picked this one, someone else building a god of destruction level robot should make for an interesting discussion..

King Jacku
Beyond Newbie

Post by King Jacku » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:03 am

Thank god Vegeta isn't done yet, I was sure he would be out by 123, but nope. :thumbup:

And I'm surprised Freeza is having trouble against Dyspo. I don't know if he hasn't been trying his hardest during the tourney or maybe he's just not being cocky anymore. I'm also excited to see if Gohan can find a way through his speed tactic.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:08 am

TheGreatSaiyaman wrote:Kinda long but....
The crux of the anti-Gohan argument is that he's boring, bland, only shines when he's dominating so why not give him a chance against Toppo, an overwhelmingly strong threat? His personality is one of a goofy guy who enjoys fighting like his father, but isn't as willing to put in the effort to reach new heights despite having such great 'potential'. He doesn't enjoy killing or unnecessary violence but he fights for what's right in his eyes. But now the story's changed - Gohan realises the peril in the T.of.P, despite disapproving of what his father did to set up the tournament, before eventually changing his mind and going onboard team U7, starting with the Zen Exhibition match, where despite the draw, he used SS1 as an active radar, an actual unseen strategy in order to fight. He realises that he should be at a way stronger level if he's to compete against the multiverse's strongest so he seeks out Piccolo, who much to my surprise, bodies the f*** out of him in the first spar to show him his errors. These constant reminders along with some inspiration from Big Green lead to the grand return of the Ultimate form, which was awesome because Gohan's transformations have sucked in comparison to everyone else in Super(they still do, I mean Frieza gets a whole twirl and metamorphosis, Goku and Vegeta get the cracking egg type thing, you get my point :) )

After training a little bit more with his teacher, he knows he has to face the strongest to test himself, which leads to episode 90, one of the greatest Gohan battles of all-time against his father, aka the guy, Goku. Yeah he loses, but he put up a hell of a fight and he could only be knocked out by a blow from an SSB KK x whatever level Goku is feeling like, with the narrative now showing that Gohan can fight with the strongest in U7. Fast-forward to the tournament, and Gohan has had barely any great showings against opponents who truthfully should have been blitzed by him, to give him a good start and show him off as a strong, viable challenge. He's been protected all tournament, which was criticised by a lot of people for a while, so when Piccolo got eliminated, Gohan found himself with a new challenge - independently fighting against U3. Did he look strong there? Yes and no. On the one hand, he fought against all three robots and the fusion, but on the other hand a.) they didn't get erased b.) needed help from Goku and Vegeta c.)just played a side role in the beam struggle.

And now we're here, at the last 9 minutes of the Tournament. The big battle: Universe 7 vs Universe 11. The place where Gohan can really reach those new heights, and ascend beyond his previous limits to prove himself against opponents who we know from the storyline are incredibly strong. No-one's really said much about our boy beating Jiren because most fans realise it's non-sensical / plain bad writing if he does after having just came back and trained for so little against a potential God of Destruction level opponent, however what I see fit and what some seem open to him playing a support role against Dyspo whilst Frieza fights him and then a main fight against Toppo, who no doubt is incredibly strong at Full Power (imo SSB KK (x) level :lol:). This gives him a valuable role in the climax, and helps to further his arc of 'ascending to new heights unlike his father'. What better way would there be than to see Gohan getting battered by Toppo but finding the solution within himself to withstand the punishment, rise above it, and eliminate Toppo. Hell, I would be open to see the return of his sort-of-but not really Izuna (s/o my FGC people) against Toppo, like he did against Lavender or a completely new unique attack. And if after he's exhausted all his options (Masenko, Kamehameha, the other rapid beam fire thing he does, maybe an SBC - ok i'm pushing it here), he loses, we'll know he wasn't ready, which allows for more layers to his character, dealing with a loss/draw (double elimination) and its aftermath.

[spoiler]Tl:DR: Gohan should fight Toppo as it helps his character development and he's only been fighting weaker opponents until now. Forgot to add, I think 17 should join this fight and lose but not get eliminated, so the final fight is 17, G.Frieza, UI Goku, SSB Vegeta and perhaps Gohan (depending on the result) vs FP Jiren / El Hermano :D[/spoiler]
Gohan can fight the strongest after getting one of most ridiculous power ups.I have yet to understand what is so special about becoming powerful in this franchise,your strength indicates the amount of plot armor you possess.
The basic problem I have with gohan is that to not make him a goku clone,they turned him into a brute.His character arc was using his full power without holding back,he only shines when he is the strongest,whenever he uses tactics he falls under shadow of vegeta and technique spot is occupied by goku(all three fought botamo),to make things worse they all are saiyans.The result is other characters praising him(like obuni),when he is being outclassed by other characters especially goku,vegeta and you are left wondering what was so special?

Now,if we talk about his role in top.He was meant to be the leader when he has never indicated that trait.In the tournament,half of team does even listen to him which frankly wasn't his fault and the other less than half who listens are the first one to be eliminated.Now,I could ignore that if he displayed some extraordinary leadership and skill but his shining moments were muscling his way out and he was constantly being out shined by other members.I could get i detail but that's it for now.
In manga,jiren only has higher battle power than belmod.They use the same phrase they use for comparing saibaman to raditz.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:19 am

Has nobody watched Dragon Ball? (The Kid Goku stuff) I ask this because a lot of people complain about Son hogging the spot light when Dragon Ball (Kid Goku stuff) had whole arcs dedicated to nothing but Goku. Does the Red Ribbon Arc not ring a bell for anyone or how about Son Goku being the only viable threat to Demon King Piccolo? So my next question is if "original" Dragon Ball shoved Son Goku down our throats why is it suddenly a problem during GT and Super?
My guess is because folks may not like Son Goku and thus any time he is on screen people bit@h. Is that what it boils down too?
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208