"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:53 pm

OLKv3 wrote:You REALLY shouldn't have said it was "confirmed fake" when you yourself wasn't sure. That's how misinformation spreads to begin with
Thats why I said "pretty sure." Cause I wasn't sure.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:09 pm

Scsigs wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:I remember everyone complaining about Chris Ayres’ Freeza when we first heard him now he’s one of the most beloved dub voices.
That was probably because, for 1, he was new & Linda Young was Frieza for the longest time, so his radically different take on the character wasn't liked so much, or 2, he was still finding the voice. At the beginning, he sounded a LOT more feminine & soft spoken than he does now, so his more refined performance didn't really come around until Frieza transformed into his final form. I could easily see people not liking his first performance, but his later ones are MUCH better.
no its because chris ayers is terrible. hes better then linda young but he still dosent sound even closely like how frieza should sound like. his voice is annoying as hell and dosent get close to the legendery japanese voice actor

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:05 am

I do like Chris Ayers' interpretation of Frieza and I have for a while. I also was ok with Linda's Frieza but I like Chris' better. Ayers doesn't make Frieza sound like hes taking over 9000 packs a day

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:08 am

puar wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:I remember everyone complaining about Chris Ayres’ Freeza when we first heard him now he’s one of the most beloved dub voices.
That was probably because, for 1, he was new & Linda Young was Frieza for the longest time, so his radically different take on the character wasn't liked so much, or 2, he was still finding the voice. At the beginning, he sounded a LOT more feminine & soft spoken than he does now, so his more refined performance didn't really come around until Frieza transformed into his final form. I could easily see people not liking his first performance, but his later ones are MUCH better.
no its because chris ayers is terrible. hes better then linda young but he still dosent sound even closely like how frieza should sound like. his voice is annoying as hell and dosent get close to the legendery japanese voice actor
You do realize you’re in a minority there as most people (myself included) love Chris’ Freeza. I love Ryusei Nakao too, but Chris is the next best thing. Daman Mills has huge shoes to fill should have to replace him.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:14 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote:
puar wrote:
Scsigs wrote: That was probably because, for 1, he was new & Linda Young was Frieza for the longest time, so his radically different take on the character wasn't liked so much, or 2, he was still finding the voice. At the beginning, he sounded a LOT more feminine & soft spoken than he does now, so his more refined performance didn't really come around until Frieza transformed into his final form. I could easily see people not liking his first performance, but his later ones are MUCH better.
You do realize you’re in a minority there as most people (myself included) love Chris’ Freeza. I love Ryusei Nakao too, but Chris is the next best thing. Daman Mills has huge shoes to fill should have to replace him.
they love him because they dont know any better. just because hes better then the crappy linda young dosent mean hes good. hes annoying as hell and dosent have any elegance like the original japanese one

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:49 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote:
puar wrote:
Scsigs wrote: That was probably because, for 1, he was new & Linda Young was Frieza for the longest time, so his radically different take on the character wasn't liked so much, or 2, he was still finding the voice. At the beginning, he sounded a LOT more feminine & soft spoken than he does now, so his more refined performance didn't really come around until Frieza transformed into his final form. I could easily see people not liking his first performance, but his later ones are MUCH better.
So far, so good for Mills. He almost sound exactly the same as Ayers.

GreatJaiyaman
Banned

Post by GreatJaiyaman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:23 am

puar wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:
puar wrote:
they love him because they dont know any better. just because hes better then the crappy linda young dosent mean hes good. hes annoying as hell and dosent have any elegance like the original japanese one
I think Chris Ayers Frieza is fantastic, Daman Mills sounds great too, I guess I just dont know any better being a dub fan :roll:
VegettoEX is a snowflake

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:31 am

puar wrote:no its because chris ayers is terrible. he's better than linda young but he still doesn't sound even closely like how frieza should sound like. his voice is annoying as hell and doesn't get close to the legendary japanese voice actor...
Does Ayres NEED to sound like Nakao? His performance is fine for the role & so is Ayres'. Daman Mills also does a great job in his stead. It's like Little Kuriboh's Frieza (don't know why I keep bringing up TFS when you get involved in these conversations, but it happens); elegant, but scary. He makes Frieza sound regal & semi-androgynous like Nakao, but is still identifiable as a male, unlike Young, who still sounded like a woman no matter what. When Ayres voices Frieza, I know I'm in for a good time with the dubs. As far as I'm concerned, he IS Frieza. The fact that they have Daman imitate HIM is a testament to how great he is & how lucky we are, to paraphrase Bender.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:41 pm

puar wrote:they love him because they dont know any better. just because hes better then the crappy linda young dosent mean hes good. hes annoying as hell and dosent have any elegance like the original japanese one
Treating fellow members of the fandom like idiots for having a different voice actor preference than yourself is disrespectful, and unacceptable here on Kanzenshuu. This isn't the first time you've been warned about your tone either. Account strikes will be issued if the behavior continues; eventually resulting in a ban from the entirety of the website.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:50 pm

Scsigs wrote:That was probably because, for 1, he was new & Linda Young was Frieza for the longest time, so his radically different take on the character wasn't liked so much, or 2, he was still finding the voice. At the beginning, he sounded a LOT more feminine & soft spoken than he does now, so his more refined performance didn't really come around until Frieza transformed into his final form. I could easily see people not liking his first performance, but his later ones are MUCH better.
puar wrote:no its because chris ayers is terrible. hes better then linda young but he still dosent sound even closely like how frieza should sound like. his voice is annoying as hell and dosent get close to the legendery japanese voice actor
That's not the case. What DB_Fan1991 was referring to, and the problem people actually had with Ayres' voice for Freeza was that at first he sounded like Newstone (the voice Young was impersonating). People were still glad it better than Young's, but it was bittersweet. But he quickly turnd that around and into a performance that even Nakao's fans swoond over. He's different from Nakao, sure, but is just as fantastic at acting, and brings out a very similar feel.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:58 pm

I don't know what all the fuss is, I think Ayres does a great job as Frieza.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:06 pm

Um, I got a notification about puar & someone else, did something happen?

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:15 pm

Scsigs wrote:Um, I got a notification about puar & someone else, did something happen?
You don't wanna know, I'll just say that. Thankfully, looks like it's been handled.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:24 pm

Dbzk1999 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Um, I got a notification about puar & someone else, did something happen?
You don't wanna know, I'll just say that. Thankfully, looks like it's been handled.
PM me the details if you don't wanna bring them up here, because I do.
Figured he'd get suspended eventually, but I didn't think it'd happen THAT quickly. Now I HAVE to know.

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:56 pm

Dbzk1999 wrote:
Now I gotta know. Someone fill me in?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:36 pm

No banning? They just got straight up Zen-Oh erased!

Anyway we get that sparring match tomorrow! Should be exciting!

Also Marchi was the teacher. Interesting. Could of sworn that was Colleen! Speaking of, anyone impressed with her Mai? Really good! Very nuanced from her previous roles in the series.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:46 pm

TheOtherDude wrote:
Dbzk1999 wrote:
Now I gotta know. Someone fill me in?
Basically, the guy got banned for saying things to the admin that he shouldn't have. Not surprising, considering his general attitude on this forum, really.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:23 pm

Kaio_Krazy wrote:
nato25 wrote:
Kaio_Krazy wrote:I am really enjoying this, everyone was on point this episode. Black sounded fantastic, so now I am gonna be a little disappointed when his British alter ego pops up, but I'll live. Can I just say that Korin saying "Now drop a phat beat" may be my favorite thing ever.

Are people basing this off fighterz and xenoverse or has there been a leak because its pretty clear Schemmel has gone with a new direction in the dub (and very much for the better). His laugh was awesome when Trunks first hit him. Only negative was he went way too far normal goku on the its over trunks line.
Sean himself confirmed he'll be switching to the British accent, when Black goes Rose', on a Reddit AMA a few days ago. There was some drama over it too, if you look back a few pages you can see what happened. Whether or not they go back and change this before that episode comes out remains to be seen, but considering these episodes were recorded months ago, and re-recording due to fan backlash would create needless work, it seems very unlikely that would be the case.
Yeah I saw that AMA, Schemmel was really unprofessional and started acting like a child saying crap like he could do whatever he wanted because of "artistic license". Then someone called him "Mr. Hope of the Universe" and it got worse from there. Wasn't a good look for the him or the dub production in general.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:51 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:No banning? They just got straight up Zen-Oh erased!

Also Marchi was the teacher. Interesting. Could of sworn that was Colleen! Speaking of, anyone impressed with her Mai? Really good! Very nuanced from her previous roles in the series.
I like it!
Was hoping for the Dragon Ball voice actress, but was pleasantly surprised with how well Colleen did with her! :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:10 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:No banning? They just got straight up Zen-Oh erased!

Well, Colleen's been voicing Mai as a kid ever since 2013, so I don't know why some people I've seen were surprised by that, unless they expected her original voice actress, Julie Franklin, to resume the role, but she hasn't been in anything since GT.