After reading too much DBZ fanfiction...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:34 pm

parron wrote:I'm going to disagree with you on the "nice but not needed" vein... when I read Dragonball fanfiction, I don't want to be reading a Sailor Moon story instead. When I read Slayers fanfiction, I certainly don't want to be reading X/1999. Maybe the story will be good, or great. I don't know. But if it's just Naruto all over again with different character names and appearances, then it's not a DBZ story... it's a bad copy of Naruto.

That doesn't make much sense, but I don't know how else to put it...
No, no, they're not taking the two series' characters and just dumping them into the other Anime. From what I understand they'll be placing them in the spot of their 'best match' (where possible) and working from there. It'll be the characters own personality and the like... man, this is hard to explain...

Er... the closest thing anything like this was with the Tenchi shows.... but that's not even a good example....

Jersey: No, I just know these guys. They'll either slack off and never finish the first chapter or they story will be a masterpiece. That's all they ever do. No work or awesome work. I just wish they would have done that Inuyasha story... ah well...
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:06 pm

Jersey, first your avatar is Kakashi with his eyes on a book, and then it's Ryoma with his eyes shut? My, you really enjoy watching people run into walls, don't you?
Jerseymilk wrote:If that's the requirements for writing fan fiction, then there are ton of people out there that don't know how to do it. :?
I'm trying to work out your weighing system, here... If one person writes 2 fics that are done "wrong", are they weighed twice? I'm thinking no, because you directly said "a ton of people who don't know" and not "a ton of people who have written a fanfic", or something. Even then I'm not sure. :)

I mostly don't like fiction where oh, say, Kagome beats Trunks. And that one isn't just a made up example, either.

OMG T3h Mac is KeWl!