Do fans of the English dub use the SSJ term?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: Do fans of the English dub use the SSJ term?

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:14 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:It's just one of those things that carried over from the late 90s, to be honest. Like "Ultra SSJ" and "Mystic Gohan," these are the terms that existed before the dub even got to the point in the series where it had those particular terms applied.
"Late" 90s? These terms have been around since well long before the FUNimation dub in ANY form existed at all, period. Ultra SSJ goes back to at least 1993, Mystic Gohan '95 or so, and SSJ as an abbreviation since, what, 1992 maybe? If not earlier?
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:57 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Ultra SSJ goes back to at least 1993, Mystic Gohan '95 or so, and SSJ as an abbreviation since, what, 1992 maybe? If not earlier?

Yeah I was always curious when USSJ started. Interesting.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:37 am

Ultra SSJ was a Curtis Hoffman-ism from the very first (first completed at least) Dragon Ball Manga FAQ. Manga FAQs were how we all (those of us who didn't read Japanese at least) used to consume plot and character details about raw manga that weren't licensed or translated into English in the days before scanlations really took off and became a thing (which would've been around '95/'96 or so at the earliest).

But yeah, Hoffman coined the term for his '93 FAQs about the manga chapters where the form was primarily used (in the island battles against Cell with Vegeta and Trunks), and its stuck around every since then to this day.

SSJ in and of itself as an abbreviation's been kicking around even longer. Roughly as long as Super Saiya-jin as a form has existed, so probably since at least 1991/1992 or so. I started following the anime regularly by the tail-end of '92/beginning of '93, and the term was most definitely around for a decent bit by then. SS was also used as well, but wasn't quite as common IIRC.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:00 pm

Helios518 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Personally I prefer using SS, particularly in light of SSGSS, as ridiculous as it is, when it isn't the even more ridiculous SSJGSSJ.
"SSJG", "SSJR" "SSJB" still also look pretty stupid in my opinion.
Nah, can't really agree and don't see why you say that either. It seems as fine as using "SSJ2" or "SSJ3". Though, I do think SSJGSSJ is excessive but that's a just a problem with that name specifically.
I think it looks awkward even with numbers, in my head saying "SSJ2" when typing sounds awkward "SS2" just sounds much cleaner.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:05 pm

To me it's basically the same thing as the people who say Kakarotto or Bejita.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:16 pm

precita wrote:To me it's basically the same thing as the people who say Kakarotto or Bejita.
Well, Kakarotto is perfectly valid, it's just different from what most translations use.

Bejita, though... Yeah, that's just straight wrong... And that's kind of how I feel about "SSJ" too. Feels a lot like a "Just according to keikaku" situation.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:48 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:[spoiler]
TheGreatness25 wrote:It's just one of those things that carried over from the late 90s, to be honest. Like "Ultra SSJ" and "Mystic Gohan," these are the terms that existed before the dub even got to the point in the series where it had those particular terms applied.
[/spoiler]

"Late" 90s? These terms have been around since well long before the FUNimation dub in ANY form existed at all, period. Ultra SSJ goes back to at least 1993, Mystic Gohan '95 or so, and SSJ as an abbreviation since, what, 1992 maybe? If not earlier?
And yet we're talking about dub fans who use the term, so that's what I addressed.

geralds

Post by geralds » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:51 pm

No why even say ssj. Jin has no English translation. If you do properly translate it then all they are saying is super saiyan person. Jin in this case it's just meaning person. It's like how we say your British or your American ect. Japanese would say Japanese person, American person, British person. We would just Japanese, American, or British in Japanese they need to make the distinction so in the long run saying ssj is redundant and unneeded other wise we might as well say I'm American jin or I'm British jin I'm mars jin you get the idea. Japanese is different language it's not how English is conveyed. It's not like we need to say other generally in translateable things like san or kun we don't speak that way so there no reason to e be n say it.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:41 pm

geralds wrote:No why even say ssj. Jin has no English translation. If you do properly translate it then all they are saying is super saiyan person.
I thought it came out as Super Saiya People. ;)

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:02 pm

Definitely SSJ. Whether it's a boat or a reference to WWII era Germany, SS is not the ideal choice.

Besides, been using SSJ since the late 90s. Too late to change now, lol.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

geralds

Post by geralds » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:35 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
geralds wrote:No why even say ssj. Jin has no English translation. If you do properly translate it then all they are saying is super saiyan person.
I thought it came out as Super Saiya People. ;)
In a literal sense yes. But it has as much wait as when I say this. In English I would say I am American while in Japanese I would say I am American person. Technically while the literal translation is saiyan person. If we say saiyin person we should then say American person Japanese person British person. It's redundant and in this context has no transaction other wise we would literally say in English Super saiyan person every time. We would even go as far as saying earth/human person or saiyan.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:57 pm

geralds wrote:In a literal sense yes. But it has as much wait as when I say this. In English I would say I am American while in Japanese I would say I am American person. Technically while the literal translation is saiyan person. If we say saiyin person we should then say American person Japanese person British person. It's redundant and in this context has no transaction other wise we would literally say in English Super saiyan person every time. We would even go as far as saying earth/human person or saiyan.
Yeah, I see what you mean. I was just making a joke.
Though, more accruately, I think you'd say you are an America Person, which turns into American in correctly-adapted English. Thus, Super Saiyajin becomes Super Saiyan, which abbreviates to SS, not SSJ.

geralds

Post by geralds » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:28 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
geralds wrote:In a literal sense yes. But it has as much wait as when I say this. In English I would say I am American while in Japanese I would say I am American person. Technically while the literal translation is saiyan person. If we say saiyin person we should then say American person Japanese person British person. It's redundant and in this context has no transaction other wise we would literally say in English Super saiyan person every time. We would even go as far as saying earth/human person or saiyan.
Yeah, I see what you mean. I was just making a joke.
Though, more accruately, I think you'd say you are an America Person, which turns into American in correctly-adapted English. Thus, Super Saiyajin becomes Super Saiyan, which abbreviates to SS, not SSJ.
If you want to get super technical it should be supersaiyanjin or super saiyan jin. Romanized Japanese is so bad. Jin in a nutshell is a different word saying like saiyanjin makes it sound like 1 word which is I correct.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:02 am

Yup, they do.

SS Goku just reminds me of a German boat.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:46 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Yup, they do.

SS Goku just reminds me of a German boat.
Or Vermillion City!

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/S.S._Anne

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:48 am

I've always noticed SSJ/SSj being used more. But I've always preferred SS. Only time I've ever consistently used SSJ is when referring to Super Saiyan Grade 2 aka Ascended Super Saiyan. Mostly because ASSJ just doesn't seem quite right without the J for some reason :lol:

I think either way works fine though and most don't care if you write it the other way. I have actually had some people tell me I should include the j but only a few times.

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:33 am

I guess my brain just kind of treats it like "lb", "oz", "Mrs.", "Rx", and other abbreviations that don't match what they are an abbreviation of.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:47 pm

I don't particularly care for the abbreviation, either "SSJ" or "SS" so I will typically use "Super Saiyan" (and, yes, I prefer the "Sigh-an" pronunciation). I believe I developed a distaste for most abbreviations because no matter what type of social platform you go to, people always assume that everybody knows exactly what all of he abbreviations mean and it becomes an incomprehensible alphabet soup.