When Dragonball returns in 2019 I hope they don't adapt the movie into episodes again

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: When Dragonball returns in 2019 I hope they don't adapt the movie into episodes again

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:14 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I thought the Battle of Gods retelling was decent and the Resurrection 'F' retelling was pretty bad. The only real benefit I got from the retellings were the fantastic episodes that took place between the stories (Episodes 15-18).
Completely agree with your sentiments here, I in fact own the BoG retelling (actually watched numerous episodes from that a fair few times already) but haven't got the ResF one, I know it has the conclusion to the BoG arc and as you said the fantastic bridging episodes but I just can't bring myself to get it...

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: When Dragonball returns in 2019 I hope they don't adapt the movie into episodes again

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:15 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I thought the Battle of Gods retelling was decent and the Resurrection 'F' retelling was pretty bad. The only real benefit I got from the retellings were the fantastic episodes that took place between the stories (Episodes 15-18).
Completely agree with your sentiments here, I in fact own the BoG retelling (actually watched numerous episodes from that a fair few times already) but haven't got the ResF one, I know it has the conclusion to the BoG arc and as you said the fantastic bridging episodes but I just can't bring myself to get it...

I think the retelling of BOG had some very strong moments. I didn't have the budget of the movie and spectacular action-sequences through cities, forests and caves ... But the final battle was still very descently animated, and it compensated for the movies CG's with some very strong moments story-telling-wise. Goku falling in the ocean to rise again to Beerus in the heavens, was for instance a very powerfull sequence that was not included in the movie.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:03 pm

Whether or not I'd be up for it depends on the quality of the movie.

I loved Battle of Gods, and much of the retelling seemed unnecessary, however there was plenty of great moments that made it worthwhile.

I felt Resurrection F wasn't great overall, with everything happening too fast for the revived Freeza to feel like much of a threat. I felt even just that the extra stuff in the anime helped a lot, despite not fixing all the flaws. Freeza singling out Kuririn for fun and torturing Gohan improved things, as did stuff like Gohan powering up to act as a lock-on for Goku.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:34 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

I think the retelling of BOG had some very strong moments. I didn't have the budget of the movie and spectacular action-sequences through cities, forests and caves ... But the final battle was still very descently animated, and it compensated for the movies CG's with some very strong moments story-telling-wise. Goku falling in the ocean to rise again to Beerus in the heavens, was for instance a very powerfull sequence that was not included in the movie.
The SSG vs Beerus portion of the fight was easily much better than the movie. Felt like an actual battle of gods and Beerus was legitimately scary in the retelling unlike the movie when we were constantly told he was scary instead of them showing it.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:54 pm

Son: 'Daddy, can i have that Blue Ray of that cool Dragon Ball-movie we saw?'

Daddy: 'Well, it's not yet your birthday but you had good numbers recently, so all right ... for once ...'

Son: 'Daddy ... look ... there is a Blue Ray-box with episodes bonus material, can i have those, it's like the movie, but i haven't seen those yet ...'

Daddy: 'Well, maybe for Christmas ...'

Son: 'Please ...'

Daddy: 'Well, ok then ... but don't ask me anything for Christmas then.'

Son: 'Daddy look over there ... a bigger box, with all the episodes of Dragon Ball Super, with the episodes of the movie too ... can i have the whole story, please dad?'

Daddy: 'Well, that wasn't the deal, son ...'

Son: 'Pleaaaaaaasseeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Daddy: 'Well ....ok ... fuck, where is that creditcard?'

-> I've got a feeling Toei recognizes this situation. But: that doesn't mean the retellng would be bad in any way.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:46 pm

Dragon Ball will not return, at least not in the current timeslot, in 2019, probably not even in 2020. Gegege no Kitaro the following series isn't just some series, but a huge mark in Toei Animation story, and anime in general, not only is the longest and the one with more remakes, this one will be its 6th, but is the great pioneer/father of Yokai stories. Every decade since its first iteration in 1968 it has a remake. Unfortunately for you, with the exception of the 1st and 2nd iterations(65 and 45 episodes respectively) all iteration had at least 100 episodes, this means 2 years, so ending in April of 2020. Right now they already said that for sure will have 50+ episodes, so unless it does badly it will continue way behind that, also Yokai Watch made Yokai popular again in Japan.

About Dragon Ball next Adaptation remaking the movies, I believe that they will go for something quite different, something different from dragon ball super. But if it is a sequel it will certainly have a remake.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:18 pm

Bigivel wrote:Dragon Ball will not return, at least not in the current timeslot, in 2019, probably not even in 2020. Gegege no Kitaro the following series isn't just some series, but a huge mark in Toei Animation story, and anime in general, not only is the longest and the one with more remakes, this one will be its 6th, but is the great pioneer/father of Yokai stories. Every decade since its first iteration in 1968 it has a remake. Unfortunately for you, with the exception of the 1st and 2nd iterations(65 and 45 episodes respectively) all iteration had at least 100 episodes, this means 2 years, so ending in April of 2020. Right now they already said that for sure will have 50+ episodes, so unless it does badly it will continue way behind that, also Yokai Watch made Yokai popular again in Japan.

About Dragon Ball next Adaptation remaking the movies, I believe that they will go for something quite different, something different from dragon ball super. But if it is a sequel it will certainly have a remake.
No way would they go more than a year without a new series.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:31 pm

precita wrote:
Bigivel wrote:Dragon Ball will not return, at least not in the current timeslot, in 2019, probably not even in 2020. Gegege no Kitaro the following series isn't just some series, but a huge mark in Toei Animation story, and anime in general, not only is the longest and the one with more remakes, this one will be its 6th, but is the great pioneer/father of Yokai stories. Every decade since its first iteration in 1968 it has a remake. Unfortunately for you, with the exception of the 1st and 2nd iterations(65 and 45 episodes respectively) all iteration had at least 100 episodes, this means 2 years, so ending in April of 2020. Right now they already said that for sure will have 50+ episodes, so unless it does badly it will continue way behind that, also Yokai Watch made Yokai popular again in Japan.

Why not? Gegege no Kitaro is a landmark of Toei Animation, and is not like the studio needs Dragon Ball to function. Even without Dragon Ball Super, the studio would still be the number 1 anime studio in Japan, like it was for all the years since its inception.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:42 pm

Bigivel wrote:
precita wrote:

Why not? Gegege no Kitaro is a landmark of Toei Animation, and is not like the studio needs Dragon Ball to function. Even without Dragon Ball Super, the studio would still be the number 1 anime studio in Japan, like it was for all the years since its inception.
I don't have a leg in this race but DB is currently the biggest money-maker for Toei, almost doubling the profits made by that of One Piece and surpassing the likes of Gundam. It'll be foolish for them to not capitalize on the Dragon Ball resurgence with a new series relatively soon. I honest don't see Kitaro lasting past 60 episodes, but I could be wrong.
Feels over Reals.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:50 pm

RedHeat wrote:
Bigivel wrote:
precita wrote:

I don't have a leg in this race but DB is currently the biggest money-maker for Toei, almost doubling the profits made by that of One Piece and surpassing the likes of Gundam. It'll be foolish for them to not capitalize on the Dragon Ball resurgence with a new series relatively soon. I honest don't see Kitaro lasting past 60 episodes, but I could be wrong.
You're talking of Bandai Namco right? Because One Piece also surpasses Gundam Merchandise. Why are you assuming that being the biggest seller of the studio means that it will have a TV anime? They can very well just have Movies, just like they had the battle of gods and Revenge of Freeza.
Again, for 3 decades, Gegege no Kitaro had always a remake and it took 100 or more episodes, but you think that will change, because? Like I said, unless the series isn't popular enough, that being Kitaro is almost garanteed, it is a epic in Japan, it will reach the 100 episodes.

Also note that Dragon Ball is selling almost double of One Piece because of the game Dragon Ball Dokkan Battle, the TV anime or not isn't really that needed. If they add new material every year with a movie, they are pretty much set.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:21 pm

They most likely will. They might need to incorporate it into Super's timeline (although it's possible that can be avoided since it's the Super movie and not a Z movie).

I hope they won't but I'm stil 70% sure that after this upcoming movie, I might not stick around for modern DB anymore.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:24 pm

I would be very surprised if Super would not return somewhere between April and Oktober 2019. It's written in the stars to happen.
It's six months to make an episode. If they begin let's say in December, the movie will be in theatres untill April, and then it's about the 30th anniversary of Z, the ideal time to celebrate something great from the past and create something new. The pieces really seem to fall together in a sense.

The tv-anime is a gigantic marketing machine with the current modern social media attached and the extra promotion it gets through it is massive. There is no way the release of multiple trailers and shots of only movies during the year would be enough to carry the franchise during the years to come. The series is the base of their success. And the movie is the ideal moment to attract a new crowd into Dragon Ball and suck the new- and old school-public straight into the continuation of Super or even a new series, to create an even bigger (marketing) hype and salesprofit.

What wouldn't surprise me if the anime would go seasonal, because there were massive production issues with Super.
A seasonal release (like 24 episodes a year in stead of 50 episodes) would allow for:

- better spreading and preperation, allowing for better storyboards and animation
- the manga catching up and even doing some extra stuff that's not in the tv series or movie (like Toriyama told us)
- extra time and budget for a movie every 2-3 years, or maybe even every year, but the latter would probably be a close call
- fans have constantly something to look forward once in a while, which improves general appreciation for the franchise (you don't know what you have till it's gone ...)
- a hiatus or movie on a regular base gives the producers chances to re-evaluate, trie news things, see the reaction of the fans and correct things in the right direction

Different main actors (Piccolo, Vegeta ...) have basiscally stated, if you read between the lines, Super isn't going away for too long.
All respect for Kitaro and his makers (i might even give it a chance just for fun), but it's not TOEI's big money making machine. If Super can return, it will be first in line after Kitaro has ended.
So i don't think we have to worry too much about no new series coming up in 2019.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:49 am

Mister_Popo wrote:I would be very surprised if Super would not return somewhere between April and Oktober 2019. It's written in the stars to happen.
It's six months to make an episode. If they begin let's say in December, the movie will be in theatres untill April, and then it's about the 30th anniversary of Z, the ideal time to celebrate something great from the past and create something new. The pieces really seem to fall together in a sense.

The tv-anime is a gigantic marketing machine with the current modern social media attached and the extra promotion it gets through it is massive. There is no way the release of multiple trailers and shots of only movies during the year would be enough to carry the franchise during the years to come. The series is the base of their success. And the movie is the ideal moment to attract a new crowd into Dragon Ball and suck the new- and old school-public straight into the continuation of Super or even a new series, to create an even bigger (marketing) hype and salesprofit.

What wouldn't surprise me if the anime would go seasonal, because there were massive production issues with Super.
A seasonal release (like 24 episodes a year in stead of 50 episodes) would allow for:

- better spreading and preperation, allowing for better storyboards and animation
- the manga catching up and even doing some extra stuff that's not in the tv series or movie (like Toriyama told us)
- extra time and budget for a movie every 2-3 years, or maybe even every year, but the latter would probably be a close call
- fans have constantly something to look forward once in a while, which improves general appreciation for the franchise (you don't know what you have till it's gone ...)
- a hiatus or movie on a regular base gives the producers chances to re-evaluate, trie news things, see the reaction of the fans and correct things in the right direction

Different main actors (Piccolo, Vegeta ...) have basiscally stated, if you read between the lines, Super isn't going away for too long.
All respect for Kitaro and his makers (i might even give it a chance just for fun), but it's not TOEI's big money making machine. If Super can return, it will be first in line after Kitaro has ended.
So i don't think we have to worry too much about no new series coming up in 2019.
To Much wishfull thinking. Is like when I said in the past that Dragon Ball Super would only survive around 2 years and that reaching more than 3 years would be pushing it, and nobody believed me because it was so popular and a huge money making machine. Well, it only endured 131 episodes, basically 2.5 years.

Why did my prediction was about right? Because I looked at Toei Animation modus operandi. Even though Dragon Ball Super was a huge exception(mega popular instead of just popular), it didn't deviate much in how Toei normally acts.

The series is not the base for Dragon Ball current popularity. It started with the movie Kami to Kami. It was because that movie and the next were so popular that they made Super.

Toei Animation doesn't do seasonal for their popular series. Toei is the oldest, still running, anime studio. And they never did a seasonal series for any of their popular works(and almost certain not even for any other work), even World Trigger that was only planned for 36 episodes, when became popular was extended to long running, ending up having 73 episodes, and didn't get more because of health problems with the original mangaka.
Dragon Ball TV series is an instant popular series, and so it will certainly not be seasonal. And not even a short series(less than 50 episodes). Unless of course is a spin-off like the "Reincarnated as Yamcha".

Voice Actors also stated that Bleach would return soon, and ... The same happened to Toriko and ...
Because Voice Actors have so much inside information and influence to decide what is going and will going to happen, right? Nope, they don't have any of that. Their word in the issue is the same of a fan.

Kitaro possibly brought more money overall to Toei, than Dragon Ball. Kitaro as been a mega popular series for almost 2 decades more than Dragon Ball. It is a huge part of the Japanese folklore. Is such an ingrained part of Toei Animation and Japan culture that every decade comes with a 2 year series. But for some reason you believe that this time will not happen because of Dragon Ball. While there is always the possibility of not happening, the sole responsible for that will be Kitaro and this remake popularity, nothing to do with any other series.

Also note that right now Japan is in the mood for Yokai, with Yokai watch mega popularity.
And note that Kitaro characters appeared in the latest movie of Yokai Watch that came out in December 2017. So they already began making connections between the two series.

Regardless of your wish, Kitaro is already set to have at least 1 year and it will get 2 years if popular(and when talking popular I'm not talking mega popular like Dragon Ball Super). And maybe even go to 2.5 years like Dragon Ball Super if more popular than expected.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:05 am

BOG and ROF were only adapted into episodes because of Beerus,Whis and Frieza who played important roles in the series and now there is no need to do it
again because the new generation knows Super now and his characters

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:22 am

Bigivel wrote: Voice Actors also stated that Bleach would return soon, and ... The same happened to Toriko and ...
Because Voice Actors have so much inside information and influence to decide what is going and will going to happen, right? Nope, they don't have any of that. Their word in the issue is the same of a fan.

Kitaro possibly brought more money overall to Toei, than Dragon Ball. Kitaro as been a mega popular series for almost 2 decades more than Dragon Ball. It is a huge part of the Japanese folklore. Is such an ingrained part of Toei Animation and Japan culture that every decade comes with a 2 year series. But for some reason you believe that this time will not happen because of Dragon Ball. While there is always the possibility of not happening, the sole responsible for that will be Kitaro and this remake popularity, nothing to do with any other series.

Also note that right now Japan is in the mood for Yokai, with Yokai watch mega popularity.
And note that Kitaro characters appeared in the latest movie of Yokai Watch that came out in December 2017. So they already began making connections between the two series.

Regardless of your wish, Kitaro is already set to have at least 1 year and it will get 2 years if popular(and when talking popular I'm not talking mega popular like Dragon Ball Super). And maybe even go to 2.5 years like Dragon Ball Super if more popular than expected.
I'm so scared that this is the truth. :cry:

Vegito Black
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegito Black » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:46 am

If they do I hope, instead of reanimateing it they just cut the movie up into 3 episodes and reair it on TV.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:03 pm

Bigivel wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:I would be very surprised if Super would not return somewhere between April and Oktober 2019. It's written in the stars to happen.

To Much wishfull thinking. Is like when I said in the past that Dragon Ball Super would only survive around 2 years and that reaching more than 3 years would be pushing it, and nobody believed me because it was so popular and a huge money making machine. Well, it only endured 131 episodes, basically 2.5 years.

Why did my prediction was about right? Because I looked at Toei Animation modus operandi. Even though Dragon Ball Super was a huge exception(mega popular instead of just popular), it didn't deviate much in how Toei normally acts.

The series is not the base for Dragon Ball current popularity. It started with the movie Kami to Kami. It was because that movie and the next were so popular that they made Super.

Toei Animation doesn't do seasonal for their popular series. Toei is the oldest, still running, anime studio. And they never did a seasonal series for any of their popular works(and almost certain not even for any other work), even World Trigger that was only planned for 36 episodes, when became popular was extended to long running, ending up having 73 episodes, and didn't get more because of health problems with the original mangaka.
Dragon Ball TV series is an instant popular series, and so it will certainly not be seasonal. And not even a short series(less than 50 episodes). Unless of course is a spin-off like the "Reincarnated as Yamcha".

Voice Actors also stated that Bleach would return soon, and ... The same happened to Toriko and ...

During the end of episode 131, the narrator stated 'Untill then (when a new and unknown enemy appears), a brief parting. See you all again!' The narrator is basically telling this to the viewers of the tv-series, the kids that watch it every morning in the early timeslot. If he was only referring to the movie, why would the makers of the tv-anime incorporate this at the end of the tv-anime? In that case they rather would have kept in more general to play it safe, something like: 'the series ends for now, but it's not the end of Dragon Ball' and then show a trailer of the movie ... Something like that. This is even an indicator they'll probably retell the story of the movie when they resume the series. I think they are already pretty sure they are going to return. Maybe ... if the movie does very bad ... they won't. But that's not what's expected.

All the merchandise linked to DBS (like video games, action figures ...) is going to be sold massively worldwide. There is no way internationally Kitaro is going to bring that amount of cash. TOEI still is a company. It basically likes to sell. DBS is a golden franchise worldwide, unlike Kitaro. I don't think Kitaro is going to replace DBS by two years, leaving the golden cow untouched to milk in the meanwhile. I don't even think Naruto or One Piece could match the popularity of Dragon Ball worldwide at this point.

If the tv-anime comes back, and i think it will, the biggest chances are it won't be seasonal, they'll probably go at least go for another 100-120 episodes consecutive. I agree on that one.
But ... Why wouldn't TOEI be able to have 'an open mind for a different view'? TOEI is examining new ways of continuating the story. They've already stated that. Nothing is casted into stone. Saint Seiya for instance: the final chapters of the manga were made in OVA's, a seasonal release of 6-15 episodes for a number of years, while the first part was released as a weekly series till episode 114 during the 80's. If the combo movie-tv-series works and is successfull, why would they stay with the old way of thinking?

The biggest indicator is maybe the continuation of the manga. New stories are going to be made. And fans are going to demand an animated version of the main storyline. I don't think 'only movies' could match up with that for years to come.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:41 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:

During the end of episode 131, the narrator stated 'Untill then (when a new and unknown enemy appears), a brief parting. See you all again!' The narrator is basically telling this to the viewers of the tv-series, the kids that watch it every morning in the early timeslot. If he was only referring to the movie, why would the makers of the tv-anime incorporate this at the end of the tv-anime? In that case they rather would have kept in more general to play it safe, something like: 'the series ends for now, but it's not the end of Dragon Ball' and then show a trailer of the movie ... Something like that. This is even an indicator they'll probably retell the story of the movie when they resume the series. I think they are already pretty sure they are going to return. Maybe ... if the movie does very bad ... they won't. But that's not what's expected.

All the merchandise linked to DBS (like video games, action figures ...) is going to be sold massively worldwide. There is no way internationally Kitaro is going to bring that amount of cash. TOEI still is a company. It basically likes to sell. DBS is a golden franchise worldwide, unlike Kitaro. I don't think Kitaro is going to replace DBS by two years, leaving the golden cow untouched to milk in the meanwhile. I don't even think Naruto or One Piece could match the popularity of Dragon Ball worldwide at this point.

If the tv-anime comes back, and i think it will, the biggest chances are it won't be seasonal, they'll probably go at least go for another 100-120 episodes consecutive. I agree on that one.
But ... Why wouldn't TOEI be able to have 'an open mind for a different view'? TOEI is examining new ways of continuating the story. They've already stated that. Nothing is casted into stone. Saint Seiya for instance: the final chapters of the manga were made in OVA's, a seasonal release of 6-15 episodes for a number of years, while the first part was released as a weekly series till episode 114 during the 80's. If the combo movie-tv-series works and is successfull, why would they stay with the old way of thinking?

The biggest indicator is maybe the continuation of the manga. New stories are going to be made. And fans are going to demand an animated version of the main storyline. I don't think 'only movies' could match up with that for years to come.
The narrator saying that will be something in the future is nothing really. Many other series used that and they just had a movie or came way way later. A sense of something coming later is not something rare to see.
In the end is not that the series will not have something in the future, but the fact that it will not be that soon(TV anime of course).

You understand that the worldwide money doesn't go all to Toei, right? In fact majority of it doesn't. Toey probably gets around 10% or less of Worldwide sells. Because everything that is worldwide is through licenses.
I'm not saying that Kitaro gets more Worldwide, but the near 2 decades(18 years) of mega popularity in Japan before Dragon Ball.
Dragon Ball mega popularity in Japan also wasn't instantaneously, so for at least 1 year, Kitaro bringing better money for Toei. Than you have that worldwide Dragon Ball only started really getting popular around 1995, 9 years after starting in Japan, and the series also didn't became the phenomenon that is over night, I would take another 1 year for worldwide mega popularity. So 10 years, until the worldwide fame. Then you have the time from 1996 to 2007 where Dragon Ball was not hot, 2007 was the ressurection of Dragon Ball anime interest, with a reair of the series in Japan(I believe something also happened in america?). Later in 2009 you get Kai, that people say was a flop because the franchise declined in sales, from its ressurection, during that time.

Now, while is possible that Kitaro gave more to Toei, is also very well possible that Dragon Ball already surpassed Kitaro. The point isn't really that, but the fact that they are close in their contribution to the studio. With the added factor of Kitaro being the elder.
People never heard of Kitaro and think it is just some other anime, even when somebody says is a popular older series. Kitaro prestige is in the level of Dragon Ball and giving 2 years to a series like that isn't something out of this world.

The question isn't why Toei wouldn't have an open mind for a different view, the question is that if the current view worked for so long, and made them be number 1 anime studio for over 60 years, and is still working wonders, why would they risk it all and change now.
Because their way is still right now the best way. Dragon Ball Super was made into a long running series and is bringing more money than entire anime studios in the Top 10 best earners(More than even Studio Pierrot).

Saint Seiya got a "seasonal last arc ending" after 15 years from the ending of the original series. Though in this case the series ended incomplete and was supposedly never going to complete(Slam Dunk is in the same situation, I hope they remake the entire series or do a completion like Saint Seiya), and was released in parts as pay-per-view.
Isn't really that well compared with Dragon Ball situation, where it got it series completed the first time, got a remake, and 2 original extensions.
Note that as soon the series was completed the next Saint Seiya got an extension of 97 episodes, with Omega. I would consider the Hades Arc, just like a Spin-Off like the Soul of Gold. Is even exceptional how it was able to get an ending of the manga.

Nobody said things are set in stone. Is still people that work at Toei, so they can decide to go against everything the studio done until now, still the probability of it happening is small, and of happening to Dragon Ball is even smaller. I personally wouldn't count on it.

Now, we have Netflix, and anime studios getting financed by them. They normally have series in small junks. Toei Animation already made two contracts with them. With Precure(now glitter force) and the new Saint Seiya 3D Series. Given the fact that Netflix likes that format, if Toei makes a deal for Dragon Ball with Netflix, is highly probable that it will go seasonal. Though, I don't think Toei Animation will like to divide the money they earn from Dragon Ball with Netflix. The reason they did with Precure and Saint Seiya, is because in the west, specially America, Precure and Saint Seiya weren't that popular, and so it makes sense to get netflix promotion and backing.

I don't think they will have any problem waiting at least 2 years for the next Dragon Ball TV Series, but even if they aren't the series will not be coming in the same timeslot. It will have to come in another one. This means Toei Animation would be doing 1 more long running series than normal.

We can only wait and see what they will do, but don't forget that they have already a lot of things to do. From One Piece(Movie in its 20 years airing?), Dragon Ball(Movie), Sailor Moon(Movies), Kitaro(Certainly will have a Movie next year), Saint Seiya(Sho and Netflix), Digimon(possibly), Precure(Has 2 movies every year). And after that they still have this year two new series: Ass Detective and Card Hunter(I believe the name). And they will certainly add other stuff.
It doesn't look like, but Toei Animation is always with a ton of things to do. So I don't think is hard to think they will take some time off from Dragon Ball.
Game of Thrones took what? 2 Years? And Attack on Titan, almost 4 years?(Well attack on Titan was really a bad idea :P).

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:13 pm

Bigivel wrote: I don't think they will have any problem waiting at least 2 years for the next Dragon Ball TV Series, but even if they aren't the series will not be coming in the same timeslot. It will have to come in another one. This means Toei Animation would be doing 1 more long running series than normal.

We can only wait and see what they will do, but don't forget that they have already a lot of things to do. From One Piece(Movie in its 20 years airing?), Dragon Ball(Movie), Sailor Moon(Movies), Kitaro(Certainly will have a Movie next year), Saint Seiya(Sho and Netflix), Digimon(possibly), Precure(Has 2 movies every year). And after that they still have this year two new series: Ass Detective and Card Hunter(I believe the name). And they will certainly add other stuff.
It doesn't look like, but Toei Animation is always with a ton of things to do. So I don't think is hard to think they will take some time off from Dragon Ball.
Game of Thrones took what? 2 Years? And Attack on Titan, almost 4 years?(Well attack on Titan was really a bad idea :P).
So far, the problem was that Toriyama didn't want a new series. Finally he is interested in Dragon Ball again, and they're going to a break. What's the point?

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:13 pm

Sani007 wrote:
Bigivel wrote: I don't think they will have any problem waiting at least 2 years for the next Dragon Ball TV Series, but even if they aren't the series will not be coming in the same timeslot. It will have to come in another one. This means Toei Animation would be doing 1 more long running series than normal.

So far, the problem was that Toriyama didn't want a new series. Finally he is interested in Dragon Ball again, and they're going to a break. What's the point?
The problem wasn't that Toriyama didn't want a new series so far. In fact there wasn't problem at all.

Like any series, they have is start and then their end, this obviously is in the calculation of the studio.
It is also in the calculations of Toei, that after some iconic time, around 5 or 10 or 15 or something years, they bring back past mega popular series and try to show to new audiences. That happened with Dragon Ball reair in 2007, around 10 years from the end of the series(GT included). That was highly popular so later they made Kai, that was also successfull(though people here think it was a flop because it declined from the 2007 boost).
Later they were able to bring Toriyama to make a new movie(Note that the reason they brought Toriyama to a new movie, was because the idea of bringing an author to make a movie was shown to be mega successfull with One Piece movie Strong World and Film Z). After that it came a new boost in popularity for Dragon Ball, and so they brought back Kai, the increase this time was immense and even the next movie made with Toriyama brought a lot of money, and so instead of just ending Kai they convinced Toriyama to continue with a new series.

There was no problem, in fact they just found that a old gold mine had still a ton of it. Like Kami to Kami and Ressurection of F, they still have the movies. You know the first thing that brought back this incredible new popularity. The TV anime was planned for just 2 years, and it got extended for half a year. I would say that is an impressive record. But obviously you think that it was supposed for the series to run indefinitely.