Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:56 pm

I like Bio-Broli. It's not my favorite, but I certainly find it more fun and creative than 4. And 6. And 7. And 8. Especially 7.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:34 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I like Bio-Broli. It's not my favorite, but I certainly find it more fun and creative than 4. And 6. And 7. And 8. Especially 7.
That's becoming more and more popular these days. Or at least here. I do agree it's better then 4, the 2nd broly movie, and the 2nd Coola movie.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:30 pm

I've always liked Bio Broli, and have always liked how Movie 8 attempts to be a proper movie instead of just an long episode.

Movie 4 is another hated movie I enjoy. In fact, it's probably my favourite DBZ movie.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:31 pm

Kid Buu wrote:I've always liked Bio Broli, and have always liked how Movie 8 attempts to be a proper movie instead of just an long episode.

Movie 4 is another hated movie I enjoy. In fact, it's probably my favourite DBZ movie.
Not sure I would agree that any of the films tried to be a long episode. They all have complete arcs.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:31 pm

I'm a sucker for the predictable over the top fan forms. From SSJ5+, character specifics like Nightmare Broly, to more recently giving blue hair and ultra instinct to all the super saiyan forms. Big muscles and colorful hair! Not saying they'd work in any official context, but the fanarts and mugen characters are fun.

Don't know how to feel about the Gohan Blanco meme since I unironically like the idea of super saiyan white Gohan and the villainous grand priest, etc... Its just fun! :D

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:38 pm

ABED wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:I've always liked Bio Broli, and have always liked how Movie 8 attempts to be a proper movie instead of just an long episode.

Not sure I would agree that any of the films tried to be a long episode. They all have complete arcs.
I mean in literal length. Most of them are about two episodes long in length. Movie 8 is closest to actual movie length until BOG.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:19 am

ABED wrote:

Due to its brevity, Z Movie 1 probably feels the closest to a prolonged episode. Funny enough though, its by far and overwhelmingly my favorite of the bunch.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:42 am

Okay, I get it now.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:30 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:Yamamoto and Tokunaga rule, but the rest ? Nah. Kikuchi fits but it's not very good, outside of a couple tracks.
Kind of strange you'd like Tokunaga's music but not Kikuchi considering GT's score was like an homage to the original DB-Z score by Shunsuke Kikuchi. But idc, not in the mood for a discussion.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:38 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:Most of the Japanese Kai replacements good and some are great like the Ginyu force except for Recoome, and also nappa. I actually think JPN Kai suffers more because of Wakamoto's modern take on cell, It sounds so goofy and over the top that I can hardly take it seriously.
You liked Otomo's King Cold?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:19 pm

Movie 5 Super Saiyan transformation was better than in the Freeza arc
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:59 pm

Not sure if this is still considered unpopular as I’ve seen it crop up a few times but—

I hate the manga’s ending (and by extension, the anime’s ending) and I think Uub was a silly idea. My main issue is simply that the prospect of a successor to Goku should have been given to a character we either had a history with (Gohan or Goten etc) or someone that he had a connection with. Truthfully, I think Goku training Pan to take over would have been much more satisfying.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:20 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:Most of the Japanese Kai replacements good and some are great like the Ginyu force except for Recoome, and also nappa. I actually think JPN Kai suffers more because of Wakamoto's modern take on cell, It sounds so goofy and over the top that I can hardly take it seriously.
Oh yeah forgot about him, kinda weird that he sounded so half assed. Love his Dabura and Crocodile tho.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:24 pm

I know it has little to do with anything,ulisa, but what do you think of the GT Finale? Not GT as a whole. Just the Finale.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:26 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:Movie 5 Super Saiyan transformation was better than in the Freeza arc
I agree only for the Japanese version tho, the way they modified Nozawa's scream sounded a lot better in the movie.

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:47 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Oh yeah forgot about him, kinda weird that he sounded so half assed. Love his Dabura and Crocodile tho.
Direction maybe? I would have preferred if Ginga had voiced him.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:52 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: You liked Otomo's King Cold?
Direction maybe? I would have preferred if Ginga had voiced him.
I'm pretty sure Ginga didn't even voice anyone in Kai, in OG Z he only voiced King Vegeta and Bora in a couple of scenes. Maybe Toei was just trying to save money on Kai

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:55 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I like Bio-Broli. It's not my favorite, but I certainly find it more fun and creative than 4. And 6. And 7. And 8. Especially 7.
Hey more Mr Satan is always a great thing in my eyes. 7's my least favorite movie aswell :lol:

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:33 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know it has little to do with anything,ulisa, but what do you think of the GT Finale? Not GT as a whole. Just the Finale.
I’m actually more fond of GT’s finale; actually, I rather like GT despite its flaws. It isn’t my ideal ending but I like it much better. GT has the Dragonballs being taken away which has that sense of finality and then we see the legacy still carried on with Goku Jr and Vegeta Jr (though it’s sad their families grew apart)!

I guess I just feel Goku and Pan would have given it a Full Circle feel. The series starts with Goku having been trained by his grandfather so it would have been a nice call back to see Goku now in his grandfather’s role.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:46 pm

I'm not sure how unpopular it is, but the Shadow Dragons Arc is very boring. The exact same thing happens 5 times (they find the dragon, find out the dragon's special ability, almost lose, find a weakness, and defeat the dragon), and it doesn't interest me at all until the Nuova Shenron. The Baby Arc is MUCH better imo.