Which did it better, GT or Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by sintzu » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:00 pm

Cetra wrote:
RedHeat wrote:The fact that people here feel the need to compare GT to Super is mind-boggling to me. There's a reason why GT was shitcanned at 64 episodes and Super ended with a whopping 131 and a direct movie sequel and was directly responsible for the this new Dragon Ball renaissance.
Yeah and this reason is called Internet Hype.
The reason Super is a success is because of internet hype ? you cannot be serious. The franchise's yearly sales have been above everyone's expectations since it started which is something no amount of internet hype can do. Super is a success because people like it, despite its many issues.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by KayDash » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:04 pm

I tried to rewatch some fight scenes from GT, and I not gonna lie: most of them were painfully slow, dragged out, badly coreaographed, low on animations and literally unwatchable to me. A few of them had good animations, like Goku vs. Ledgic (all the 90 seconds of it) or Vegeta vs. Goten/Gohan, but compared to all the fights is Super, that's a very low number.
Something similar can be said about the new characters, I can't really recall anyone really memorable from GT... maybe Baby and Nouva Shenron, while Super had the likes of Beerus, Zamasu, Hit, Zeno, Champa, Future Mai and I guess even Jiren after his final character developments. Good characters are definitely a major part in a story's quality, but Super's story also took more risks, and did things with the cast of characters, that GT were afraid of.
There a few other things like character designs, background music, etc. and for me Super excels in all of these over GT.

So, for me it's definitely Super.

User avatar
BlueBasilisk
I Live Here
Posts: 3061
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:24 pm

Cetra wrote:
Avenant wrote:Super blows GT out of the water in leaps and bounds. The storytelling in Super is overall so much better than GT, and you can take that to the bank.

Jiren is such a different foe for DragonBall and it's quite refreshing in my opinion. He's not an evil villain yet he's the most powerful opponent that had to be defeated. That's very fresh and I can't wait to see how they top it moving forward. Also, Zamasu's motivations were genuinely refreshing as they offered a much more tragic and realistic villain, so to speak. I truly hope we didn't see the last of him, though that may be wishful thinking. Plus, Frieza's arc was incredible! And despite fan worries, he stayed very consistent with his character. I can't wait to see what they do with him as well!

Overall, I've been consistently happy with Super and can't wait for the movie and whatever else comes next!
I read of people calling things in Dragon Ball "fresh" and "refreshing" so often that they have not just become inflationary in their meaning but I really hate the word "fresh" now. I would really like to know why apparently everything in Dragon Ball is fresh. For Jiren I at least can somewhat see that but the word(s) keep(s) getting so overused.
Well in Zamasu's case I think it's just because DB hasn't really had a villain like him before. As villains in general go he's baby's first cookie cutter JRPG villain but in the context of Dragon Ball he's unsual which makes him stand out (as well as the stellar VA). Jiren doesn't strike me as hugely different from Tien and Pikkon in being the jerkass super strong tournament rival who warms up to Goku. They tried to do something a little different with the backstory but in terms of function he's more or less the same imo.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by PFM18 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:37 pm

Saturnine wrote:I wouldn't be so quick to praise GT's powerscaling compared to Super. I'll remind you that base Trunks killed Mutchy, who had just defeated SSj Goku. Super glaring if you ask me.

I also wouldn't compare the search for the blackstar DB arc to early Dragon Ball. The premise was similar, but that doesn't mean the execution in any way evoked early Dragon Ball. It felt more like a tame and timid kids' show with generic adventures, very poor humor and situations hard to justify given the protagonists' powers than anything we've seen in early DB. It utterly lacks its precedessor's spirit. For its defense I can say that at least it lacks references to earlier filler and theatricals, but taht's something Toei caught up on big time in later arcs.
Cetra wrote:
RedHeat wrote:The fact that people here feel the need to compare GT to Super is mind-boggling to me. There's a reason why GT was shitcanned at 64 episodes and Super ended with a whopping 131 and a direct movie sequel and was directly responsible for the this new Dragon Ball renaissance.
Yeah and this reason is called Internet Hype.
This "internet hype" you speak of is nothing compared to the hype people got for AF back when you couldn't disprove any rumor within minutes by browsing the web. Also, any excitement and hype tends to die down much quicker than it used to, for this precise reason. You can't go and claim that Super was carried all the way through on the hype generated before it even began.
exactly I mean Base Goku is supposed to be extremely strong like the same level as his SSJ3 counterpart and then he gets outdone as a super Saiyan by the gumpy trunks in GT??
Jord wrote:GT is not just a bit better than Super, it completely crushes it.

-First of all, Super had the misfortune of getting shoehorned it between Z episodes. Therefore, we knew the ending. No one of the cast was ever in any danger because we know that they'll end up alright judging by the final Z episodes. This completely removes any danger and/or tension from the big fights? Goku black killing Goku? Nope, since Goku end up alright in the final Z episodes. Universe 7 erased? Nope, we see the main cast alive and well at the end of Z. The only ones who could have been killed were the newly introduced characters but they were never really in any danger.

-But let's say that Super took place a the end of Z, then still there's no sense of danger since now we gods and angels who can simply reverse time when a bad guy is winning, revive or erase people and this is actually how some storylines in Super end. Freeza's winning? Whoops. Let's reverse time so we have another shot. Goku Black gets too strong? Let's have another god just erase him in the nick of the time. These deus ex machina's are a a bad way to end a long series of episodes and insult to the viewer's intelligence.

-Being set in such a (relatively) short times span also eliminated any growth and some characters, like Goku even degenerated. What characters have changed between the first and last episodes of Super? Meanwhile we see Goku act like a mature and sensible warrior in GT, even though he shrunk down to size. We see how the lifes of the cast continued after Z with some characters stepping up like Pan and some stepping down from the action like Kuririn. In a series where growth is such an important feature, this is one of the key elements as to why I like GT.

-While GT got less transformations, the big one it DID get, SSJ4 not only looked awesome (opinion) but also looked new and original (fact). In Super, characters simply got their hair dyed and that's it. The word lazy gets thrown around but when you've got a term like Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan and all you is get is turquoise hair it's a let down.

-Super ran about twice as long as GT. That being said, it's pacing with notable exceptions like the Goku Black part was atrocious. The last '5 minutes' during the TOP made the final 30 seconds of the Freeza fight in Z seem short. GT did a lot and kept up the pace during episodes. During every episode progress was made which makes for a better viewing experience.

-I really like the GT BGM. It has it's own flavour but really fits the series and has a lot of diversity. Super meanwhile has fewer memorable bgm but did have that awesome insert song during the tournament.

-The animation in GT is better and is far less reliant on reused animation, shortcuts and cuts to the "other people reacting to the fight while stating the obvious" trope.
Ok we may have known the outcome of the cast being because of the end of Z but at the same time, let's be honest we always know the final outcome will result in the main characters being fine I mean since when has any show killed off any of the main characters. It still had tension. "Characters stepping up like Pan" LOL yeah except Goku is literally the only character in GT that did anything at all. Pan didn't "step up" she was quite literally a spectator 99% of the time and when she did fight she was shown as being unreasonably powerful for being a little girl.

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by Cetra » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:57 pm

sintzu wrote:
Cetra wrote:
RedHeat wrote:The fact that people here feel the need to compare GT to Super is mind-boggling to me. There's a reason why GT was shitcanned at 64 episodes and Super ended with a whopping 131 and a direct movie sequel and was directly responsible for the this new Dragon Ball renaissance.
Yeah and this reason is called Internet Hype.
The reason Super is a success is because of internet hype ? you cannot be serious. The franchise's yearly sales have been above everyone's expectations since it started which is something no amount of internet hype can do. Super is a success because people like it, despite its many issues.
And just as Saturnine you did not even understand what I was talking about. You read "internet hype", thought your thing and that was it. If you would consider the proper context you could actually be able to understand it. But as him you just want to badmouth one series. Hype manifests in many forms. And it did within the Dragon Ball community a lot over the last years. And one of the hypes I see so often in Dragon Ball and other franchises is what I call the "anti-hype"-hype. Just for the sake of it people start badmouthing product x suddenly, hypocritically ignore the same "flaws" within a product they like and just jump onto the bandwagon because it is modern, it is "hip", it is the peer thing to do to hate on something that earlier was not all that much disliked or maybe even actually liked. I know that a lot of my favourite franchise and in Dragon Ball this can also be viewed in many situations. And this is just one of the manifestations I am talking about. Hype comes in many forms. It is also nonsensical to deny it, because hype, peer pressue, the desire to follow and be easily influenced and all without really noticing is such a normal psychological thing that one should be able to easily understand. And I can see this behaviour with my own eyes day after day so yes, it is a thing. And even something like Dragon Ball that is - also in my opinion - getting justified praise can influence people who influence people through unleashing hype, people following peer pressure, et cetera, et cetera. One of the most obvious things - not about Dragon Ball though, but it is a good example - is when you walk into a twitch chat of a streamer that is popular. I have seen people agreeing with a person a lot just because that person was good at the game. They themselves had no idea and it was actually easy to show the streamer that he is wrong but they rather celebrated him/her for something that did not even lead to proper answers.
PFM18 wrote: exactly I mean Base Goku is supposed to be extremely strong like the same level as his SSJ3 counterpart and then he gets outdone as a super Saiyan by the gumpy trunks in GT??
Because this is such an incredibly deal breaker, right. I have seen people all over the forum and the rest of the internet having such a lack of understanding when it comes to basic logic that such inconsistencies is the last thing they should care about. And if that is some criteria for you to hate on a show then you are really looking for it.
BlueBasilisk wrote: Well in Zamasu's case I think it's just because DB hasn't really had a villain like him before. As villains in general go he's baby's first cookie cutter JRPG villain but in the context of Dragon Ball he's unsual which makes him stand out (as well as the stellar VA). Jiren doesn't strike me as hugely different from Tien and Pikkon in being the jerkass super strong tournament rival who warms up to Goku. They tried to do something a little different with the backstory but in terms of function he's more or less the same imo.
Zamasu is really the only one that I can truly call a "fresher" thing for the franchise itself, especially as Toei put a lot more effort in writing something about him, so yes. I can agree on that. I liked that some new contrast came with Jiren in comparison to Goku though when it comes to the last episodes.
Last edited by Cetra on Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 448
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:21 am

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by Professor Freeza » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:02 pm

Cetra wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Cetra wrote:
Yeah and this reason is called Internet Hype.
The reason Super is a success is because of internet hype ? you cannot be serious. The franchise's yearly sales have been above everyone's expectations since it started which is something no amount of internet hype can do. Super is a success because people like it, despite its many issues.
And just as Saturnine you did not even understand what I was talking about. You read "internet hype", thought your thing and that was it. If you would consider the proper context you could actually be able to understand it. But as him you just want to badmouth one series. Hype manifests in many forms. And it did within the Dragon Ball community a lot over the last years. And one of the hypes I see so often in Dragon Ball and other franchises is what I call the "anti-hype"-hype. Just for the sake of it people start badmouthing product x suddenly, hypocritically ignore the same "flaws" within a product they like and just jump onto the bandwagon because it is modern, it is "hip", it is the peer thing to do to hate on something that earlier was not all that much disliked or maybe even actually liked. I know that a lot of my favourite franchise and in Dragon Ball this can also be viewed in many situations. And this is just one of the manifestations I am talking about. Hype comes in many forms.
PFM18 wrote: exactly I mean Base Goku is supposed to be extremely strong like the same level as his SSJ3 counterpart and then he gets outdone as a super Saiyan by the gumpy trunks in GT??
Because this is such an incredibly deal breaker, right.
Yes. If it were done in Super, you people will jump on how awful Super's writing Power scaling is.

Just one of the things why GT is trash

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by Cetra » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:05 pm

Professor Freeza wrote: Yes. If it were done in Super, you people will jump on how awful Super's writing Power scaling is.

Just one of the things why GT is trash
Too bad that you - as always - cannot prove such a baseless claim. I have never bashed any part of the franchise for "awful powerscaling". And yes, Super also had its moments. Other than you I do not watch the show for such a thing.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 448
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:21 am

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by Professor Freeza » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:08 pm

Cetra wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote: Yes. If it were done in Super, you people will jump on how awful Super's writing Power scaling is.

Just one of the things why GT is trash
Too bad that you - as always - cannot prove such a baseless claim. I have never bashed any part of the franchise for "awful powerscaling". And yes, Super also had its moments. Other than you I do not watch the show for such a thing.

I said you people. GT is notoriously bad for making every character but Goku a dumbass. People HATED Pan for years because of GT. and the Bullshit Powerscaling.

There's nothing baseless about that claim. Super Saiyan Trunks shouldnt do shit there

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by Cetra » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:10 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:
Cetra wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote: Yes. If it were done in Super, you people will jump on how awful Super's writing Power scaling is.

Just one of the things why GT is trash
Too bad that you - as always - cannot prove such a baseless claim. I have never bashed any part of the franchise for "awful powerscaling". And yes, Super also had its moments. Other than you I do not watch the show for such a thing.

I said you people. GT is notoriously bad for making every character but Goku a dumbass. People HATED Pan for years because of GT. and the Bullshit Powerscaling.

There's nothing baseless about that claim. Super Saiyan Trunks shouldnt do shit there
It is absolutely a baseless claim because a) you are making a factual statement about GT like powerscaling is a universal standard everyone has to follow when it comes to quality and b) you - as you even mention - said "you people" making a generalization about a group of people, including me. And I am not like that. Same goes for a lot of other people who do not mind such a thing. Therefore the generalization is nonsensical. Then again you are trolling a lot with your posts, so maybe I should just ignore them like usual.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by gofishus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:16 pm

For me both has pros and cons heres what I think

Storyline - Super
Animation - GT (I prefer DBZ style)
Characters - Super ... ToP introduced a lot of cool characters
Villains - Super.. I like Black and Hit especially
Transformations - GT. This is close because I like Ultra instinct a lot. However.. GT because of SSJ4 its just so original.
Power scaling - GT. Super has ridiculous power scaling inconsistencies and the power creep is ridiculous too. Frieza and 17 off the bat could destroy anyone from GT and you have guys who can destroy the universe with a snap. That's overpowered.

User avatar
Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 448
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:21 am

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by Professor Freeza » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:27 pm

Cetra wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:
Cetra wrote:
Too bad that you - as always - cannot prove such a baseless claim. I have never bashed any part of the franchise for "awful powerscaling". And yes, Super also had its moments. Other than you I do not watch the show for such a thing.

I said you people. GT is notoriously bad for making every character but Goku a dumbass. People HATED Pan for years because of GT. and the Bullshit Powerscaling.

There's nothing baseless about that claim. Super Saiyan Trunks shouldnt do shit there
It is absolutely a baseless claim because a) you are making a factual statement about GT like powerscaling is a universal standard everyone has to follow when it comes to quality and b) you - as you even mention - said "you people" making a generalization about a group of people, including me. And I am not like that. Same goes for a lot of other people who do not mind such a thing. Therefore the generalization is nonsensical. Then again you are trolling a lot with your posts, so maybe I should just ignore them like usual.

I realize that some beliefs like GT is better is like some idiots saying earth is flat. Just because its your opinion doenst make it right.

I will just ignore the people here.

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by Cetra » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:31 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:
I realize that some beliefs like GT is better is like some idiots saying earth is flat. Just because its your opinion doenst make it right.

I will just ignore the people here.
Wow.

You have won the internet with that comparison. Comparing a scientific fact with something opinion-based.

In case you still do not understand it: It is not a scientific fact that Super is better than GT. One can set certain standards to compare and then evaluate the shows thus come to the conclusion "in this light Super is better". But those are no universal laws of nature that under all circumstances have to be followed to one absolute and ultimate truth that results in "Super is better".

And probably you are not ignoring anyone so please promise that only if you intend to make it true.

"Just because it is your opinion doesn't make it right" Someone has a great understanding of self irony, I hope. Otherwise that would be really sad.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 448
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:21 am

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by Professor Freeza » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:45 pm

Cetra wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:
I realize that some beliefs like GT is better is like some idiots saying earth is flat. Just because its your opinion doenst make it right.

I will just ignore the people here.
Wow.

You have won the internet with that comparison. Comparing a scientific fact with something opinion-based.

In case you still do not understand it: It is not a scientific fact that Super is better than GT. One can set certain standards to compare and then evaluate the shows thus come to the conclusion "in this light Super is better". But those are no universal laws of nature that under all circumstances have to be followed to one absolute and ultimate truth that results in "Super is better".

And probably you are not ignoring anyone so please promise that only if you intend to make it true.

"Just because it is your opinion doesn't make it right" Someone has a great understanding of self irony, I hope. Otherwise that would be really sad.
Its not irony if I'm objectively right. And you want proof?


GT was CANCELLED. Super went 131 episodes AND a short hiatus.
GT didnt have Toriyama anywhere besides the Art. Super has Toriyama even in the direct story.
GT bombed in TV. Super ALWAYS stayed in top 10.
There was NO GT movie. A SUPER canon movie is coming Right up.
GT had NO manga coverage. Super has one [even though I'm dont like it at all]

GT didnt come top 5 in money making for Toei. It didnt move Merch.
The great Z rehash Kai didnt move merch and got cancelled.
SUPER obliterates every other TOEI franchise.

Add to the fact that it had awful characters bar goku, awful powerscaling, awful storytelling execution and pretty much is know as Goku time...


If Super haters are still gonna be blind on how awful GT is, they are as dumb as Flat earthers.

User avatar
coola
I Live Here
Posts: 2880
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am
Location: Poland

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by coola » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:51 pm

That rudeness was totally uncalled for, yes, some episodes of Super were really good, but there was also handful of episodes i never want to watch ever again, since they were just terrible, i also didnt liked how Super handled characters as Chi Chi and Buu. From what i've read so far, manga version of Super adressed some of those problems and removed them.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by Cetra » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:00 pm

Professor Freeza wrote: Its not irony if I'm objectively right. And you want proof?
Never ask a real life scientist (which by the way I am) if he wants proof if you have no idea of contextualization and do not know how to properly provide proof.
Professor Freeza wrote: GT was CANCELLED. Super went 131 episodes AND a short hiatus.
Your point? That does not make it objectively better. Something I explained in the previous post and which you do not understand because you have no idea of context. You are setting a standard and act like this is the universal standard everyone has to follow. Also it is not properly deducing that Super is better. There are soap operas that have thousands of episodes. That does not make them better than those with less. It means they are more successful. As mentioned, you cannot just say "it is better because". If you want to evaluate under a standard that you want to follow, go for it. But if you expect someone to do the same as if that is natural law then this is madness.
Professor Freeza wrote: GT didnt have Toriyama anywhere besides the Art. Super has Toriyama even in the direct story.
Also no proof for quality and that Super is better. Again, you are making things up by prematurely deciding what under all circumstances is good for you. That is not "objectively right".
Professor Freeza wrote: GT bombed in TV. Super ALWAYS stayed in top 10.
Same here. Popularity does not equate quality.
Professor Freeza wrote: There was NO GT movie. A SUPER canon movie is coming Right up.
There was a short GT movie actually and you still do not know what "canon" means, just as you still do not know that canon is no adjective. And again you are making things up by prematurely deciding what is "good" for you.
Professor Freeza wrote: GT had NO manga coverage. Super has one [even though I'm dont like it at all]
Context? I see how throwing out random comparisons that cannot actually prove that something is better. You just throw in those comparisons and then say "and because of that it is better". That is no actual proof. Because it is not possible to prove that.
Professor Freeza wrote: GT didnt come top 5 in money making for Toei. It didnt move Merch.
The great Z rehash Kai didnt move merch and got cancelled.
SUPER obliterates every other TOEI franchise.
Still the wrong context. The only things that are true is that from a commercial perspective those things are extremely successful. That is not the same thing is "proof for being better". It is time for you to learn the difference or walk away.
Professor Freeza wrote: Add to the fact that it had awful characters bar goku, awful powerscaling, awful storytelling execution and pretty much is know as Goku time...
At least with this you are not even trying it any longer to hide that this was nothing out your opinion being misused as factual statement.
Professor Freeza wrote: If Super haters are still gonna be blind on how awful GT is, they are as dumb as Flat earthers.
At least most of them know the difference between opinion and fact, my friend and most of them would never make such a ludicrious comparison.

Your "ignoring people" could not even last 30 minutes.
Last edited by Cetra on Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Jord
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:13 am

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by Jord » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:07 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Saturnine wrote:
Jord wrote:GT is not just a bit better than Super, it completely crushes it.

-First of all, Super had the misfortune of getting shoehorned it between Z episodes. Therefore, we knew the ending. No one of the cast was ever in any danger because we know that they'll end up alright judging by the final Z episodes. This completely removes any danger and/or tension from the big fights? Goku black killing Goku? Nope, since Goku end up alright in the final Z episodes. Universe 7 erased? Nope, we see the main cast alive and well at the end of Z. The only ones who could have been killed were the newly introduced characters but they were never really in any danger.

-But let's say that Super took place a the end of Z, then still there's no sense of danger since now we gods and angels who can simply reverse time when a bad guy is winning, revive or erase people and this is actually how some storylines in Super end. Freeza's winning? Whoops. Let's reverse time so we have another shot. Goku Black gets too strong? Let's have another god just erase him in the nick of the time. These deus ex machina's are a a bad way to end a long series of episodes and insult to the viewer's intelligence.

-Being set in such a (relatively) short times span also eliminated any growth and some characters, like Goku even degenerated. What characters have changed between the first and last episodes of Super? Meanwhile we see Goku act like a mature and sensible warrior in GT, even though he shrunk down to size. We see how the lifes of the cast continued after Z with some characters stepping up like Pan and some stepping down from the action like Kuririn. In a series where growth is such an important feature, this is one of the key elements as to why I like GT.

-While GT got less transformations, the big one it DID get, SSJ4 not only looked awesome (opinion) but also looked new and original (fact). In Super, characters simply got their hair dyed and that's it. The word lazy gets thrown around but when you've got a term like Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan and all you is get is turquoise hair it's a let down.

-Super ran about twice as long as GT. That being said, it's pacing with notable exceptions like the Goku Black part was atrocious. The last '5 minutes' during the TOP made the final 30 seconds of the Freeza fight in Z seem short. GT did a lot and kept up the pace during episodes. During every episode progress was made which makes for a better viewing experience.

-I really like the GT BGM. It has it's own flavour but really fits the series and has a lot of diversity. Super meanwhile has fewer memorable bgm but did have that awesome insert song during the tournament.

-The animation in GT is better and is far less reliant on reused animation, shortcuts and cuts to the "other people reacting to the fight while stating the obvious" trope.
Ok we may have known the outcome of the cast being because of the end of Z but at the same time, let's be honest we always know the final outcome will result in the main characters being fine I mean since when has any show killed off any of the main characters. It still had tension. "Characters stepping up like Pan" LOL yeah except Goku is literally the only character in GT that did anything at all. Pan didn't "step up" she was quite literally a spectator 99% of the time and when she did fight she was shown as being unreasonably powerful for being a little girl.
Except...GT DID kill of characters and didn't resurrect them and big ones too namely Majin Boo and Piccolo. I thought both were very well done. I commend GT for doing that.
I actually think permadeath would be an interesting thing to add to a new series. Z had a bloated cast to begin with and I appreciate how they had some characters retire from fighting later on like Yamcha for example. However, now (meaning the end of Super we have a HUGE cast of fighters and they will only grow in numbers.

User avatar
Vegeta_Sama
Regular
Posts: 695
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:59 pm
Location: Capsule Corporation

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:16 pm

Cetra wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote: Its not irony if I'm objectively right. And you want proof?
Never ask a real life scientist (which by the way I am) if he wants proof if you have no idea of contextualization and do not know how to properly provide proof.
What's a scientist doing here discussing a cartoon? I tought you'd be discovering time travel, Black holes or some shit :lol:
/s
Vegeta! We can get even stronger!
Of course! A Saiyan's strenght has no limits!


My interpretation of the Dragon Ball Canon

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by Cetra » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:17 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote: What's a scientist doing here discussing a cartoon? I tought you'd be discovering time travel, Black holes or some shit :lol:
/s
I know this is sarcasm but even you should be aware that science is a lot more than theoretical physics and all. My area of expertise has nothing to do with theoretical physics.
Last edited by Cetra on Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
Vegeta_Sama
Regular
Posts: 695
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:59 pm
Location: Capsule Corporation

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:19 pm

Cetra wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote: What's a scientist doing here discussing a cartoon? I tought you'd be discovering time travel, Black holes or some shit :lol:
/s
I know this is sarcasm but even you should be aware that science is a lot more than theoretical physics and all.
I'm well aware, I just wanted to make a stupid joke :D I can't resist
Vegeta! We can get even stronger!
Of course! A Saiyan's strenght has no limits!


My interpretation of the Dragon Ball Canon

User avatar
Lord Frieza
I Live Here
Posts: 3698
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:38 pm

I generally prefer Super over GT, to the point that when I was having a clear out I dumped my Green Bricks in the throw out pile.

Post Reply