So, I asked FUNi about a US Dragonbox release again...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

So, I asked FUNi about a US Dragonbox release again...

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:19 am

So, I asked FUNi about a US Dragonbox release again, and here's how it's been so far:
Kendamu wrote:
FUNimation wrote:
Kendamu wrote:Hello,

Has there been any word on a possible eventual release of Dragonbox stuff in the USA?

Thank you.
No word yet. However if they allow us to use it we'll be more than happy to release that version here in the US!
Thank you very much. Do you have any ballpark figures as to when you might know? That way, I don't have to bother you all the time with the same question.

Thanks!
So, considering that I've never gotten false info out of the FUNi reps before, this can be trusted that if FUNimation can convince Toei to throw some Dragonbox footage our way, it can actually be released domestically. That means awesome footage with the dub for dub fans, subs for the fans of the original, and probably a huge pricetag.

Let's start speculating. Considering that FUNimation is apparently willing to give us Region 1 Dragonbox, when do you think it'll ever actually happen?

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:38 am

You know it'll be just our luck that when Toei gives FUNimation the OK to put the DragonBox out here, that they'll decide it isn't quite "remastered" enough. And they'll run it through their machine a few times and crop it up. And boom we have a ruined DragonBox. I don't FUNi is actually this stupid... but damn, they've done stupid things before. I hope they do get to put out the DragonBox here. I mean I have always wanted a DragonBox with Steven Simmons subtitles. It would be very cool.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:42 am

How much would the Dragonboxes be in the US though? $200 is probably the highest I'd pay for them.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:05 am

The Time Traveller wrote:How much would the Dragonboxes be in the US though? $200 is probably the highest I'd pay for them.
$200 for all 5 DragonBoxes? Or $200 per DragonBox? Because if you mean $200 for all 5, that's $.38 an episode/movie/special and you're completely insane :P

For comparison, FUNi's stuff at retail is about $1.43 an episode it the new sets.

-Corey

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:58 am

I call this BS. TOEI gave FUNI the "original film masters" but they wont give them real remastered footage?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:17 pm

Well basically they haven't really told us anything we don't already know. It's what they're not telling us that I'm interested in. Though I have to give you points for continuing to pester them Kendamu. I'll keep hoping....I just have a bad feeling, I'll be hoping for a long time yet. :(
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:28 pm

Or if they answered "Nope, we'll never get it and it will never be released in the states." ... that would probably send a few more dollars over to Japan instead of FUNI, so I doubt they would give such an answer.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:32 pm

Y'know...even if they got the footage, there will be some gimmick that'll ruin it. There's always a catch. Funimation just can't release this series without doing something to it...are they even capable of doing that? :P

EDIT: Also, wouldn't a majority of the fanbase complain that the footage isn't in widescreen?

"Its not cinematic like before!"

"We're losing more footage again!"

"I thought it was supposed to be in widescreen!"

Then there's the matter of the "remastering". :P

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Brad Redfield wrote:Then there's the matter of the "remastering". :P
"Why's the sky green when Goku is fighting Vegeta?"

"Why does the picture look darker?"

etc.....
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:40 pm

I have to ask, since the entire series has been released, do we really need new updated ones like what ADV does for EVA?

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:52 pm

Super Sonic wrote:I have to ask, since the entire series has been released, do we really need new updated ones like what ADV does for EVA?
Depending on how you look at it, the 'entire' series has never been released (here in the states). If its just DBZ, its never been released in any consistent manner. And if you include DB with DBZ, then we still lack episodes 1-13 and DB Movie 1.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:43 pm

When will we get them? The announcement will be made the day after the Final Widescreen Season releases. :roll:

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:45 pm

By then I'll probably have a decent amount of the Japanese releases.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:36 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:When will we get them? The announcement will be made the day after the Final Widescreen Season releases. :roll:
Or they'll cancel the distribution of the final season release, and make the announcement. :shock:

To be honest though, I don't think somethink like that would happen XD. It would be awesome if they actually do release the dragonbox footage; starting from DB to the end of GT.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:47 pm

I know what theyll call it

THE SUPER ULTRA MEGA TENKAICHI FINAL WE SWEAR THIS IS THE LAST RELEASE DBZ

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:02 pm

LOL, there will probably never be a true FINAL release of DBZ. Don't they have to release new DVDs of stuff to keep the rights to the show? I've seen it done with other franchises (Rurouni Kenshin for example, or on FUNi's side Yu Yu Hakusho). I don't know if DBZ's rights are the same way, but I dont' see why they wouldn't be.

Needless to say, I may be a Season Set supporter out of choice - but if these get released, then my Season Sets are getting doused in gasoline and set on fire. :D
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:09 pm

Hey Kendamu what is the address you used to contact funimation,I'd like to ask them a few questions

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:08 pm

gogeta 00 wrote:Hey Kendamu what is the address you used to contact funimation,I'd like to ask them a few questions
I asked through FUNi's MySpace page.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:29 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:I call this BS. TOEI gave FUNI the "original film masters" but they wont give them real remastered footage?
By "original film masters," FUNi means the original footage that they were given. :P Which is of inferior quality, remastered or not.

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:01 pm

Kendamu wrote:
gogeta 00 wrote:Hey Kendamu what is the address you used to contact funimation,I'd like to ask them a few questions
I asked through FUNi's MySpace page.
Funi has a myspace page :shock: . Thanks for the info