Why Do fans overlook the depth or Character Development in Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Why Do fans overlook the depth or Character Development in Dragon Ball?

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:57 am

ABED wrote:Other than Gohan, who goes through the same arc?
Vegeta mostly retreads the same ground every arc. He ends the arc peacefully and adapting to Earthling life, only to go back being a dick at the start of the next one. The way his arc is executed is different each time, but they start from the same point and come to the same conclusion.

Not saying he's badly written, but his development is definitely a bumpy, messy road, mostly because of his role as the token anti-hero and Dragon Ball's insistence on not ending its story.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:44 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Vegeta mostly retreads the same ground every arc. He ends the arc peacefully and adapting to Earthling life, only to go back being a dick at the start of the next one. The way his arc is executed is different each time, but they start from the same point and come to the same conclusion.

Not saying he's badly written, but his development is definitely a bumpy, messy road, mostly because of his role as the token anti-hero and Dragon Ball's insistence on not ending its story.
THat's not the same arc because he doesn't finish it. It's not until the end of the Buu arc that he finally complete his transformation. He never stopped being a dick at the end of the Freeza arc. He's not as homicidal, but he's not a nice guy. He's waiting for Goku, but he's not domesticated. And he backtracks at the end of the beginning of the Buu arc, not because Toriyama's a crappy writer, but because he hasn't completely reconciled the conflict within himself. Arcs don't have to be linear. Vegeta doesn't come to the same conclusion at any point in the story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:54 pm

ABED wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

THat's not the same arc because he doesn't finish it. It's not until the end of the Buu arc that he finally complete his transformation. He never stopped being a dick at the end of the Freeza arc. He's not as homicidal, but he's not a nice guy. He's waiting for Goku, but he's not domesticated. And he backtracks at the end of the beginning of the Buu arc, not because Toriyama's a crappy writer, but because he hasn't completely reconciled the conflict within himself. Arcs don't have to be linear. Vegeta doesn't come to the same conclusion at any point in the story.
It was finished, though. He adapts to Earthling life at the end of the Freeza arc. He adapts to Earthling life at the end of the Cell arc. Just because Toriyama keeps adding on to his character doesn't mean he doesn't have finished arcs in those stories. Every character, Vegeta included, has his own self-contained arc in the different parts of the story due to Toriyama never knowing when the series would end; he couldn't leave characters with an incomplete arc. Taking Vegeta at the end of those arcs and isolating him from the stories that come after, he is no longer a threat to the Earth. And yet, Toriyama backtracks and makes him a threat the following arc and he goes through the same domestication process.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:32 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ABED wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Vegeta mostly retreads the same ground every arc. He ends the arc peacefully and adapting to Earthling life, only to go back being a dick at the start of the next one. The way his arc is executed is different each time, but they start from the same point and come to the same conclusion.

It was finished, though. He adapts to Earthling life at the end of the Freeza arc. He adapts to Earthling life at the end of the Cell arc. Just because Toriyama keeps adding on to his character doesn't mean he doesn't have finished arcs in those stories. Every character, Vegeta included, has his own self-contained arc in the different parts of the story due to Toriyama never knowing when the series would end; he couldn't leave characters with an incomplete arc. Taking Vegeta at the end of those arcs and isolating him from the stories that come after, he is no longer a threat to the Earth. And yet, Toriyama backtracks and makes him a threat the following arc and he goes through the same domestication process.
He's living on Earth, but it's not home to him. He's waiting for Goku. That's all. His full arc isn't complete. Toriyama never backtracked. Vegeta is still a threat to Earth. He never stops being a threat until he gives his life to try to stop Buu. His arc wasn't to become domesticated. At best before the end of the series, he's a dog with a muzzle.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:46 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:When we mention Dragon Ball everyone only talks about screaming, Fighting, power ups or muscles. while it's true that Dragon Ball has all of those thing but why do majority assume that, Fighting is the only thing Dragon Ball had?
why do not only Casual Non DB fans but even the DB fans don't dig deeper other than new forms and have this kind of stereotype about the franchise "Dragon Ball is all about Chad-ness and Character development or Depth is nonexistent here", for almost every other anime like One Piece, Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter or Yuu Yuu Hakusho everyone talks about Characterization, Depth and all but they just assume Dragon Ball is all mindless action which isn't supposed to be serious,when in reality that's not true, Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Gohan, Future Trunks they all have got depth and character development to them. Even plot/story is overlooked but i don't know why people don't care for these things. for me Dragon Ball is not about fighting but rather, the character who fight and one way or other they all get developed except few, still the characters in Dragon Ball are the best aspect for me.
This reality is so freaking sad. During one of my conversations when I voiced my dislike for the new Dragon Ball Super's movie, you could see that some of the people replying were clearly stating that all they care about is fighting (one of them even went to say that tournaments sagas were better than a legit story). Enjoying just fights is okay, if you are a kid since they are not understanding what is going on, but once you grow up, one would expect that you enjoy a little story, which unfortunately most of what Dragon Ball Super presented did not have it, save for Future Trunks saga. This is why people seemingly preferring fights to story sounds really weird to me.

I will always prefer and look forward to a story which allows the characters to have their own character development, which are the things I care the most, which is also one of my biggest complaints about the "main series" since it revolves around the same characters that already have their own development, why can't they give a chance to other characters? Why are we stuck with the same ones? Since we are in the theme of bringing back old characters, then do so to ones that still need more development (King Vegeta), that has more to offer (Cell), explore other things that may contribute to depth/character development and a time for someone to shine a little bit (transformation for Piccolo).
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:46 pm

Doctor. wrote:

As far as I can tell, Vegeta only retreads his arc (to any degree) in Super. And even there, its somewhat arguable.

In the Saiya-jin arc, he's the main arc villain and demonstrates zero sympathetic characteristics. He's an entertaining, but simple enough out and out clearcut villain. By tne end of the arc he's beaten, but clearly intends to return later to cause the heroes more trouble.

In the Freeza arc he's largely the same, but with the added wrinkle that his interests run counter to his former masters (who are now the main arc villains) and he shows he's willing to align himself, at least temporarily, with the Z Warriors in order to rebel against them. By the end of the arc, Freeza's beaten and seemingly killed, and Vegeta is left without any purpose in his life. He's in no way reformed or a good person by ANY stretch, and shows no real signs of such. He's simply had the knees to his whole life's goals (surpassing and usurping Freeza) cut out from under him: and by a Saiya-jin warrior that he'd originally written off as a lowly, unskilled grunt. He's thoroughly humiliated and with no more goals left to drive him, but FAR from anything resembling a changed man.

In the Cell arc, now that Freeza and his empire are gone he's left lost and adrift without any purpose or direction. He's living on Earth and isn't causing any trouble, but that's clearly only because he has no incentive or reason to. With Goku returned home and another SSJ revealed in Future Trunks, Vegeta ultimately ends up obsessing over chasing after the Super Saiya-jin power that cheated him out of usurping Freeza and shaming his royalty/nobility.

In the meantime, he lives on Earth and fathers a son with Bulma... showing that he's gradually acclimating himself somewhat with living on Earth among his former enemies. But nonetheless, he's still clearly not a good person and remains completely unrepentant of his past. He fights against the same enemies (Gero, Cell, and the other Jinzoningen) as the other Z Warriors, but not really as much of a team player with them and if anything is a constant liability to them in his own selfish pursuits of his own interests throughout the arc. He ends the Cell arc emotionally broken, devastated, and ashamed of his performance as a fighter in Cell's tournament, and swears off martial arts out of shame and humiliation more than anything else. He's now passive, but hardly at peace with himself.

By the time of the Boo arc, now that Goku's been dead for some time we see that he's spent the ensuing 7 years living in relative peace with his new family. Its less that he's actually reformed though, so much as he's been resigned to a self-pitying funk over being so thoroughly outclassed in fighting skill by both Goku and his son during the Cell Games. During that time however, he has indeed very, very subtly and gradually (to a degree that's even surprising to himself as he admits) grown fond and attached to living with his new family, which is a large part of what's also kept him in check.

Once Babidi and Dabura show up however and he sees how the Majin charm works (along with Goku having returned as a spirit from the afterlife to compete in the newest Budokai tournament earlier), it awakens and stirs up old feelings and reopens old wounds and neurosis about his inferiority complex to Goku, which clearly have never actually mended or healed at any point prior. He's tempted and grabs the power from the Majin charm, allowing himself to regress and backslide into being a murderous psychopath, even acknowledging and throwing away his life on Earth... purely to spite Goku and to settle their beef once and for all.

Then Boo is awakened and Goku mentions how this will endanger even Vegeta's new family in Bulma and Trunks. This gets through and jars Vegeta out of his self-indulgent backslide, and he puts aside his rematch with Goku to sacrifice himself against Boo. Once he's later restored to life by Baba, the ensuing series of battles against Boo cause Vegeta to inevitably come to his big breakthrough epiphany, leading to the whole "You're no. 1" speech. Thus, Vegeta's full arc and transition from "Genocidal, self-serving scumfuck" to "Genuinely noble warrior and family man" finally completes itself and closes out.

GT, for all its faults, was at least wise enough to further run with this even more and not betray it for cheap fan pandering: in GT, Vegeta is shown to have fully made the transition into being a (relatively) normal, peaceful/loving husband and father. He hasn't given up on martial arts and training by any means, obviously, and he still aspires to be a better fighter than Goku: but now that desire has greatly matured into a friendly, spirited, and constructive rivalry, one that he pursues in a much more healthy and less self-destructive manner.

Its only Super that seems to have him regress somewhat from his Boo arc epiphany. And even then... not all THAT terribly much when all's said and done. Does Vegeta ever get seriously tempted to regress back into being a villain once again in Super? No. Does he recklessly endanger people's lives in an effort to peruse his selfish desires? Not that I can recall offhand, no (if I'm forgetting something there, someone please feel free to correct me). Does he show ANY fondness at all whatsoever for the kind of homicidal asshole he was previously the way he constantly does throughout the Cell and Boo arcs? Again, not that I can think of, no.

What Super does (and that GT avoided) is that it simply dulls down the stark contrast between how he generally acted and behaved before his emotional breakthrough on the Kaioshin world and after. He's still a peaceful inhabitant on Earth, and he's now a devoted husband and father (if still somewhat awkwardly fitting himself into that role). He's no longer anywhere near as fanatically violent about pursuing his martial arts rivalry with Goku, and has been a loyal friend and ally to the group throughout (if simply a sometimes vaguely unpleasant one).

All that Super ultimately does (once again, to the best of my recollection of it) is retain more of Vegeta's belligerent "fuck you" attitude in terms of his overall general demeanor and personality. Obviously the real reason its doing this is to shamelessly pander to fans' nostalgia for Goku and Vegeta's more edgy and standoffish relationship from Z's heyday: but nonetheless an argument CAN be made (so far anyway) that this is simply the result of the time period in which Super's story is set: the immediate aftermath of the Boo arc.

Super picks up what, only a couple of years later after Kid Boo's demise? We're nowhere near the Z epilogue, much less GT (which are a decade to a decade and a half later respectively) in terms of overall time that's elapsed. Its entirely possible (and I know that I'm probably extending Super FAR more credit here than I probably ought to be) that we're still in the midst of Vegeta's transition from having had his big epiphany in the Boo arc's finale to where we find him by the Z Epilogue (and GT if we bother to count that in the equation at all).

Again, in Super - once again, this is to the best of my recollection, if I'm missing anything major here, then someone who knows and remembers the ins and outs of Super far better than I do by all means please feel totally free to correct me here - he REALLY hasn't actually DONE anything particularly malevolent or selfish or evil. Nor has he expressed any sort of desire or temptation to. When Freeza returns, he's staunchly opposed to him and roundly rejects his offer to rejoin his army. Even when Freeza temporarily aligns himself with the group for the Tournament of Power, Vegeta is VISCERALLY disgusted by him and has to be kept on a short leash from lashing out and coming to blows against Freeza.

Hell, if anything Vegeta doesn't even endanger the planet for the sake of his martial arts to anywhere NEAR the extent that Goku does circa the Tournament of Power. He's on good, healthy terms with not only Bulma and present day Trunks, but also Trunks' future counterpart, and is a willing and heroic team player throughout the whole Zamasu incident.

Really when you boil down Vegeta's "regression" in Super, all it amounts to basically is "Vegeta's still fairly cantankerous in his attitude, and hasn't warmed his general demeanor to the extent we see in End of Z and GT". Which, if we extend Super SOME measure of the benefit of the doubt here (and I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'm genuinely willing to do that here: I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate here with it) we can easily chalk that up to the immediacy of how shortly after Boo the series is set.

End of Z was set ten years down the road, and GT was fifteen. Super's as of now something like 4 or 5 years away from the end of Boo on the Kaioshin world (if that even), so its now somewhere in the middle of that time gap. Again, and I grant you I'm probably extending Super FAR too much credit here in terms of where it'll end up ultimately going down the road... but its still within at least the REALM of possibility that we could potentially see Vegeta further soften his attitude into a point we see him by the Z Epilogue or even GT, and that Super is simply depicting the "awkward adjustment/transition" period in the interim. It IS technically an "interquel" rather than a sequel to Z after all.

But even if that doesn't end up being the case and Super keeps him in the more snide and cranky place he's been in... end of the day that's A) not all THAT especially big a betrayal of his previous arc, and B) even if it is (and the possibility that I'm forgetting or overlooking something WAY more severe in Vegeta's actions and how he acts in Super: I'm hardly the most ardent viewer of Super, I don't remember everything in it near as well and to the extent that I do the original series), that still ultimately brings Vegeta's "arc regression" down entirely onto Super, and not at all on any of the previous material from the original run; where I would argue that Vegeta's development is kept largely more or less on a consistent and easily traceable throughline.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:00 pm

I think a main reason is due to a good number of fans skipping the original DB so by starting with Z the majority of characters are already fully or nearly completely developed. You don't understand Krillin's importance to Goku without seeing their friendship's developments form the start. You don't understand the significance of Piccolo change of heart without seeing what he and his "father" before. You don't understand how far Goku had come unless you've seen his humble beginnings and past innocent nature. These are just examples of how much is missed out of and misunderstood by missing out on the original DB. That's of course not taking into account the amount of changes made by Funimation to the already incomplete understanding of the story caused by skipping the original DB.

I think fans who watch both DB&Z (or Kai) in the right order have a vastly different view and understanding of the story compared to those who just watched Funimation's original Z. This isn't a problem exclusive to DB as watching anything from the middle will give a different understanding of what was originally intended by the creators as you're missing a major part of the story. Things are 100× worse for fans just getting into the franchise through Super.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:14 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:where I would argue that Vegeta's development is kept largely more or less on a consistent and easily traceable throughline.
I'm not saying it isn't. I'm saying that Toriyama just keeps adding layers and layers of development on top of what already felt like a finished character arc by the time Namek exploded. You could end the series after Namek and you'd close the comic with the sentiment that Vegeta most likely wouldn't be a very big threat to the planet anymore, especially after trading his pride and begging Goku to defeat Freeza. After all, he spends 3 years domesticated and basically married to an Earthling woman following Freeza's death; and if that isn't enough to convince you, look at Piccolo who didn't cause any more trouble after he was beaten and you can infer that Vegeta would go the same route. Same thing again with his position at the end of the Cell arc, end the series there and Vegeta wouldn't cause any shit-storm. What I'm saying is that due to the nature of Toriyama's improvised writing style, he does indeed take Vegeta out of that "domesticated" position each time the story doesn't end, and positions him as a threat in the story he's writing. His development is still consistent, fairly linear and surprisingly nuanced, but there is a some sort of ground he's retreading each arc following Namek, even if it's approached in a different manner. For example, admitting Goku is no #1 is definitely much more overt and conclusive, and much more powerful after witnessing what the two went through together in the Cell and Boo arcs, but, in a vacuum, it's not that radically different than Vegeta saying Goku is the only one who can beat Freeza or that Goku humiliated him and he'll never fight again because he's not a real warrior. Of course, as a whole, these moments make up different stages in the development of a nuanced character (probably by luck), but isolated, this is a character who begins every arc in the same position he started in the previous arc and ends every arc in the same position he ended up in the previous arc; it's just how he gets from A to B that changes.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:27 pm

I'm not saying it isn't. I'm saying that Toriyama just keeps adding layers and layers of development on top of what already felt like a finished character arc by the time Namek exploded. You could end the series after Namek and you'd close the comic with the sentiment that Vegeta most likely wouldn't be a very big threat to the planet anymore, especially after trading his pride and begging Goku to defeat Freeza.
But that's not a full arc. He's changed a lot but his inner conflict isn't resolved at all. He's not going to stay on Earth forever until after Goku's death in the Cell Games. At the end of the Freeza arc, he's not domesticated, he's broken. If he didn't have the goal of fighting the cyborgs or waiting for Goku, he would've caused problems. Toriyama isn't retreading the same ground. There are similarities, but those are superficial. Vegeta telling Goku he was the only one who could defeat Freeza because he's on his deathbed is very different from Vegeta finally admitting Goku is the best and it not wounding his pride. He says he would never fight again because he was a broken shell, but at least by then he showed for an instance he cared about people other than himself and gave Trunks a goodbye gesture.

Vegeta goes through big changes, but he's never psychologically at the same place be the end of each story arc.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:38 pm

ABED wrote:
I'm not saying it isn't. I'm saying that Toriyama just keeps adding layers and layers of development on top of what already felt like a finished character arc by the time Namek exploded. You could end the series after Namek and you'd close the comic with the sentiment that Vegeta most likely wouldn't be a very big threat to the planet anymore, especially after trading his pride and begging Goku to defeat Freeza.
But that's not a full arc. He's changed a lot but his inner conflict isn't resolved at all. He's not going to stay on Earth forever until after Goku's death in the Cell Games. At the end of the Freeza arc, he's not domesticated, he's broken. If he didn't have the goal of fighting the cyborgs or waiting for Goku, he would've caused problems. Toriyama isn't retreading the same ground. There are similarities, but those are superficial. Vegeta telling Goku he was the only one who could defeat Freeza because he's on his deathbed is very different from Vegeta finally admitting Goku is the best and it not wounding his pride. He says he would never fight again because he was a broken shell, but at least by then he showed for an instance he cared about people other than himself and gave Trunks a goodbye gesture.

Vegeta goes through big changes, but he's never psychologically at the same place be the end of each story arc.
You say it's not a full arc because you're looking at it in hindsight, with the perspective of having entire arcs ahead of where Vegeta ends up by the time Namek exploded. It certainly feels like a complete arc if you take the Namek arc in isolation.

I didn't say he's the same person. I said his position in the story is the same every arc and his state of mind begins and ends at the same point in every arc; he's hostile towards Goku for whatever reason, then he becomes docile once he's humbled. That's not the same as saying the character stays the same, I've been clear in saying he has developed in a nuanced way.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ABED wrote:

You say it's not a full arc because you're looking at it in hindsight, with the perspective of having entire arcs ahead of where Vegeta ends up by the time Namek exploded. It certainly feels like a complete arc if you take the Namek arc in isolation.

I didn't say he's the same person. I said his position in the story is the same every arc and his state of mind begins and ends at the same point in every arc; he's hostile towards Goku for whatever reason, then he becomes docile once he's humbled. That's not the same as saying the character stays the same, I've been clear in saying he has developed in a nuanced way.
And The Terminator is a complete arc, but it's not the full story arc until the end of Terminator 2. Just because your characters end in a different place than they began doesn't mean there aren't organic places for them to go.

They aren't at the same point and his state of mind isn't the same at all. At the end of the Freeza arc, his pride is shattered and he's waiting for Goku to return so he can figure out how he reached a level he couldn't. He sees another Super Saiyan and realizes he can do it as well. He decides to stay because he hears about an enemy that killed a Super Saiyan. He stays for the challenge. At the start, he's shown some change, but he's still an asshole who shows zero concern for his baby and babymama. By the end he appologizes to Gohan and after Goku's death, he gives up fighting completely. See the difference? At the end of the Freeza arc, he's still a warrior. At the end of the Cell arc, he's given up.

He's hostile towards Goku because Goku screws with his worldview and being shown up by a lower cluss hick hurts his self-esteem.

You havent' been clear. One one hand you say he's changed, but then you say he winds up exactly where he was at the beginning of the last two arcs.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:44 pm

I think I now sort of get where Doctor is coming from actually.

He's saying that even though Vegeta is continually developed from arc to arc (in a consistent and nuanced way no less), the role in each plot arc that he occupies remains somewhat similar. There's a (VERY vague and hardly ironclad narrow) formula that's visible: after the Saiya-jin arc, Vegeta begins each following arc with his pride wounded by Goku in some fashion, which leads him to then cause some manner of trouble for the heroes, before he's eventually humbled back into passivity by the end. And also when you take each arc (from Freeza onward anyway) in isolation, unto themselves in a vacuum (rather than looking at them all strung together cohesively in a broader, meta-narrative sense), where he ends each arc could potentially make for logically sound endpoints for his character were the series to end off there.

I understand Doc's point now I think, but I definitely still very much strongly disagree with his framing of it (or at least his word choices used to describe it). He's used terms like "rehash" and "repeat" and I think that there's more than plenty enough new ground (in terms of the character relationship dynamics at play as well as Vegeta's psychological framing) that's explored as well as new layers/wrinkles added to the story that keeps Vegeta's arc from feeling anywhere at all as formulaic, stale, and repetitive as Doc's descriptions here makes it sound (whether he means for it to or not).

Yes, you could end Vegeta's character off at the Freeza, Cell, or Boo arcs, and have more or less satisfactorily "complete" seeming storylines. Perhaps Cell a bit less so than the other two (I'm a lot less fond of having the series endpoint be at Cell than others around here have noted: I think either Freeza or Boo works much better as an endpoint than does Cell).

But whether by intent or by accident (and its probably a mix of the two), Toriyama succeeded in not only justifying his continued use of Vegeta as a bitter rival to Goku, but also making the whole broader narrative of that rivalry series-wide feel consistent and constantly evolving and progressing forward into new psychological/emotional territory. When you have a strong narrative baseline like that propelling things and constantly changing up the character dynamics in such an organic way, it makes it a LOT harder for me to agree with framing it in terms like "repetition" and "rehashing".

The beats are somewhat faintly similar, sure, and they wrap themselves up nicely at the end of each arc from Freeza and onward: but going so far as to call them out and out "rehashes" or "retreading similar ground" simply doesn't jibe with what's actually there on the page and how it plays out. Even though the basic-most trajectory remains similar in each arc, where Vegeta begins and where he ends emotionally and psychologically is ALWAYS different and constantly evolving, with each permutation of his character both working in tandem with as well as organically building off of what came before rather than contradicting, retconning, or backpedaling.

And I think that by stopping at the Boo arc, Toriyama picked one of the two best possible endpoints that he'd left for himself to close the book on Vegeta's character; and its to GT's credit that when it picked up the baton from there, it didn't in any way shit on that character growth and narrative endpoint that Vegeta arrives at or inorganically force it to backpedal, but instead further pushes it ahead and even gives him something of a happy ending.

Again, ultimately I give Toriyama credit for managing to (despite the seat-of-his-pants nature of his writing process) keep each stage of Vegeta's progression in each arc coming across as organic and progressive as it does, even as he gives himself various closure points along the way in case he decides to abandon ship for good. I think that, by whatever turn of fortunes, the Boo arc ended up making for an ideal place to finally bring Vegeta's inner turmoil to a final close, and GT managed the impressive task of doing a little bit more with Vegeta's character without either betraying that closure or feeling like he was kept frozen in a stagnant role.

Super I don't think has ENTIRELY crapped on that closure to quite the degree that some fans make it sound like it has (and I'm by no means the biggest fan of Super myself)... THUS FAR anyway. There's still more "revival material" yet to come, so that particular ball can still get dropped somewhere along the way (which ultimately only matters for those who are, unlike me, in any way actually invested in the new revival material and have trouble accepting DB as a "completed" story that conclusively ended its run decades ago).

But all that aside, I think I now understand what Doctor's basic point here is: but I also think that the language and terminology he frames it under is way, way too strong and misleading.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:48 pm

There are several reason why many people overlook DB's depth

1. The elitist hipsterism against DB and most other Shonen anime/manga in the english speaking anime fandom. Since shows like Dragonball, Attack on Titan and Naruto are often many people's first anime, many anime fans bash these shows every chance they get just to make themselves look like a "seasoned" anime expert smh.

2. The fact that the franchise itself doesn't call much attention to the character development that exist in it (not saying there isn't any, obviously). Dragonball is self-consciously an action series, not a drama.

3. There's also the fact that when compared to some other shonen (Full Metal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, or even One Piece and Naruto), Dragonball DOES come up short in depth and character development (on average). Of course we characters like Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo and any version of Zamasu who are developed well enough that they would still look good compared to characters from any other series, but when you compare the whole DB cast to the development of the whole cast of some other series like Fate/Stay Night for example, you'd see what I mean.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:37 am

ricky84 wrote:There are several reason why many people overlook DB's depth

1. The elitist hipsterism against DB and most other Shonen anime/manga in the english speaking anime fandom. Since shows like Dragonball, Attack on Titan and Naruto are often many people's first anime, many anime fans bash these shows every chance they get just to make themselves look like a "seasoned" anime expert smh.

2. The fact that the franchise itself doesn't call much attention to the character development that exist in it (not saying there isn't any, obviously). Dragonball is self-consciously an action series, not a drama.

3. There's also the fact that when compared to some other shonen (Full Metal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, or even One Piece and Naruto), Dragonball DOES come up short in depth and character development (on average). Of course we characters like Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo and any version of Zamasu who are developed well enough that they would still look good compared to characters from any other series, but when you compare the whole DB cast to the development of the whole cast of some other series like Fate/Stay Night for example, you'd see what I mean.
Fate Series is different from Dragon Ball but I don't think it comes short in comparison to development characters get in Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Naruto, One Piece or Hunter x Hunter. it's just low-key about its development, it implies stuff but doesn't mention it on your face unlike Naruto where they are overly blatant with their themes. i find Goku's character development is way more interesting than Luffy and Naruto combined. the Straw Hat crew has not really changed much, The Main Cast of Naruto is more or less the same too its not that great development specially the villains changing motives after talking with Naruto and within 3 episodes changing the characters is rushed development to me.
Despite these guys living with that idea for 30 years You can't change somebody's mind on 2 seconds. Look at Toriyama and how well he does that, Goku is convicing by his actions, they see that with their own eyes, it takes time and effort Instead of 2 minute talk. It's fine if u use it once or twice but that stays with Naruto forever it starts with Haku and ends with Obito. Like, can't he kill a main villian? Why does he always have to take the same route and why all fall for it?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:35 am

I'm unsure that Dragon Ball has great depth, as it makes no particular effort to wrap itself in subtext or respond in any particular way to either specific real-world events or emotional states, but what it does offer—along with the greater library of Toriyama works which it's a part of—is a worldview. Dragon Ball has duende yo.

(It also has Dende.)

Toriyama tends to tell the same story over and over again, across nearly all his short works and both of his long ones: selfish outsiders coming together, bonding over some common drive, and unwittingly performing some greater good. They may not change for the better or learn a direct lesson, but they at least form bonds, and we take this as change enough. It's whimsically nihilistic and amoral while also being humanistic—it's a worldview fascinated by the potential for growth and interpersonal connection, and all the messy ways they may interact.

That's all over Dragon Ball. And it requires a certain level of character development, which I absolutely think Dragon Ball has. Goku is not the same character when the series starts and when it ends—his drives are more defined; his negative elements more emboldened. At the same time, the cast of characters around him—and he meets more and more as he shrinks the world through his drive—are largely bettered in standard moral ways; they become less selfish, more empathetic, etc. Goku's the only character to actually becomes a worse person as the series goes on. This is in contrast to him being largely a positive factor in its world and upon the people with whom he interacts.

That's classic Toriyama. And it's its own kind of message. In Dragon Ball's case, it's also accompanied by an, on rare occasions, soberly sincere take on the passage of time (Toei has a tendency to lean into that more, and I think it's actually one of the strengths of their adaptations).

Why does it get overlooked? I can think of plenty of reasons, some of them fair. From fans of the genre and shonen series in particular, there might be the expectation that it be more directly forthcoming with more traditional moral arcs (One Piece effect). Toriyama's stuff tends to be a lot more coy. On the opposite side of the spectrum, its overall silly presentation and earnest attempts to entertain its young target audience might rightly have people who don't normally dive into this kind of material not looking for anything below the absolute most basic certain level. If you come in through the anime instead of the manga, it's also easy to lose the idiosyncratic elements, and a lot of people aren't aware of how it fits into the author's larger interests, which can make make it easier to miss them as well. The less Dragon Ball feels like the output of one person, the less it has to offer, I think.

That said, I think you can pick up on any of this from just going through Dragon Ball alone, either the original or its adaptations, if you're heading in without preconceptions and even halfway paying attention.
Last edited by Cipher on Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:45 am

Because a lot of fans are stuck in the Z era of Dragon Ball and didn't bother to watch the OG Dragon Ball remember when Goku was kid ? I do.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Post by SmugStick » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Personally I don’t enjoy the fighting nearly as much as the character interactions and development. I don’t think people ignore the development though, they just prefer the fighting. And I mean REALLY prefer it, to the point where it seems they ignore everything else. I don’t really understand it, since I think Toriyama is at his best when it comes to character interactions and comedy.
My immortal Phoenix died of food poisoning

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8udQV ... 4GFPrFEPzg
Twitter https://twitter.com/SmugStick