Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:32 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Hopefully this is the start of something to come. I'd be all over a BD release of OG DB.
I'm more than happy with Kai thanks to the pacing but I've been waiting for years to see DB get released on Blu-Ray so hopefully these do well enough to justify it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Gligarman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:34 pm

On the one hand I'm looking forward to owning proper remastered versions of all of these movies. On the other hand I can't help but dread how Funinmation will find a way to mess this up since they have a tendency to edit these movies because god forbid we see anything written in Japanese. I still haven't gotten over the laughable job they did on the 3rd DBZ movie. They censored the title screen, reduced the credits to a small window, and left the Japanese audio out of sync.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:45 pm

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Hopefully this is the start of something to come. I'd be all over a BD release of OG DB.
I'm more than happy with Kai thanks to the pacing but I've been waiting for years to see DB get released on Blu-Ray so hopefully these do well enough to justify it.
I'm happy with Kai too (even Buu Kai) so wouldn't be interested in Z but DB definitely.

Z M13 & Path to Power volume wouldn't be too bad to own, if I were to get one volume I'd probably get that.

greatdudguy

Post by greatdudguy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:10 pm

VegettoEX wrote: The films will be presented in a 16:9 (widescreen) aspect ratio.
Is this a mistake? Robo4900 says in the OP that the Amazon/Netflix releases are "the authentic 1.85:1 cinema ratio instead of the inauthentic 1.78:1(Or, 16:9 in conventional terms)".

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:13 pm

From the Amazon JP listing of the first disc-

BSTD20161/COLOR/本編100分(予定)/1層/リニアPCM(モノラル)/16:9【1080p Hi-Def】/2作品収録
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:22 pm

I would assume that means the encode is in 16:9, slightly letterboxed to get it to 1.85:1. After all, 16:9 is the standard of the format. I suppose it is possible the actual image is 16:9, but it would be odd they'd do that here while making the streaming versions 1.85:1.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:24 pm

I hope these sell well, if they do, they might encourage them in restoring the series in HD.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:24 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I would assume that means the encode is in 16:9, slightly letterboxed to get it to 1.85:1. After all, 16:9 is the standard of the format. I suppose it is possible the actual image is 16:9, but it would be odd they'd do that here while making the streaming versions 1.85:1.
Fair enough, but I think we're all also hoping the home release will have the proper source audio as used on the Dragon Box (not to mention some additional color correction on stuff like DBZ movie 6). Until something different is revealed, I'm reporting the letter of the law as it appears on the item descriptions (with additional commentary when needed, which I guess could be here?).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:29 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:I would assume that means the encode is in 16:9, slightly letterboxed to get it to 1.85:1. After all, 16:9 is the standard of the format. I suppose it is possible the actual image is 16:9, but it would be odd they'd do that here while making the streaming versions 1.85:1.
Fair enough, but I think we're all also hoping the home release will have the proper source audio as used on the Dragon Box (not to mention some additional color correction on stuff like DBZ movie 6). Until something different is revealed, I'm reporting the letter of the law as it appears on the item descriptions (with additional commentary when needed, which I guess could be here?).
Oh, I certainly don't expect you to post speculation. That was just my guess as to why there would be a discrepancy.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:07 pm

sintzu wrote:Toei is going to release them in Japan on 8 Blu-ray sets starting this November with each set costing 49$.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2018/08/09/dr ... y-release/
Ugh, that price... Although the movies I'm interested in the most are fortunately paired together (Wrath of the Dragon/The Path to Power), the price is just too high for me.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:30 pm

According to one of Geekdom's sources, the original 3 anime are planned to get this same remaster and start releasing next year on Blu-Ray in Japan.

https://youtu.be/hTfqTtKYLjo?t=280
It looks like we got our wish.

Before we celebrate, if these are released in 4:3 and if Funimation decides to pick them up (I can't imagine why they wouldn't) then there's a chance they'll try to crop it to 16:9 so it'll be "the way it was meant to be seen". :sick:
Last edited by sintzu on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:36 pm

sintzu wrote:According to one of Geekdom's sources, the original 3 anime are planned to get this same remaster and start releasing next year on Blu-Ray in Japan.

Holy cow. Toei, FUNi: Do NOT let us down.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Forte224 wrote:
sintzu wrote:According to one of Geekdom's sources, the original 3 anime are planned to get this same remaster and start releasing next year on Blu-Ray in Japan.

Holy cow. Toei, FUNi: Do NOT let us down.
And don't crop them to 16:9 if they're in 4:3.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:40 pm

So are the movies really remaster in 4k?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:45 pm

I wish Funimation didn't take it upon themselves to remaster Z and its movies cause how are they going to release and market this ? Fuimation's version is a "remaster" so will they market this as a re-remaster ? a real remaster ? a remaster 2.0 ? or will they do the right thing and simply pull their version off the market once these release ?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:55 pm

sintzu wrote:
Forte224 wrote: Holy cow. Toei, FUNi: Do NOT let us down.
Unless I am mistaken but I don't think FUNi would be able anyway since it's not a remaster they're doing from their own film masters.

But since cropping is easier for BD and given how many episodes DB & Z are... Hopefully Toei don't become lazy and crop them.
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:56 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:But since cropping is easier for BD and given how many episodes DB & Z are... Hopefully Toei don't become lazy and crop them.
I won't mind Toei doing it cause they did a good job with Kai but Funimation's was a mess so I don't want them to touch these at all.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Forte224 wrote: Holy cow. Toei, FUNi: Do NOT let us down.
Unless I am mistake but I don't think FUNi would be able anyway since it's not a remaster they're doing from their own film masters.

But since cropping is easier for BD and given how many episodes DB & Z are... Hopefully Toei don't become lazy and crop them.
Well, if they do get cropped by either Toei or FUNi I'll just be able to save my money I guess. But I really, really hope they aren't cropped.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:00 pm

sintzu wrote:I wish Funimation didn't take it upon themselves to remaster Z and its movies cause how are they going to release and market this ? Fuimation's version is a "remaster" so will they market this as a re-remaster ? a real remaster ? a remaster 2.0 ? or will they do the right thing and simply pull their version off the market once these release ?
They could release it as "Full Screen Edition", or like with the Dragon Boxes be completely transparent with it and have it labeled as a Japanese collector's item type thing.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:04 pm

Forte224 wrote:They could release it as "Full Screen Edition", or like with the Dragon Boxes be completely transparent with it and have it labeled as a Japanese collector's item type thing.
I think they should just discontinue them and pull what's left out of stores and sites such as Amazon cause having both will be very counterproductive, especially when trying to sell to people who aren't huge fans like us who know what's what.