Radditz speech favor

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Radditz speech favor

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:56 pm

Need a favor. I want to know exactly what Radditz when he first met Goku concerning their origins ("We're Saiyans! Meteorite! Boom! Only 4 left! blabla"). Would anybody be willing to translate the japanese version here for me? And/or put what Viz wrote? Thanks!

Here's the version I have (French), starting with the panel that shows Radditz as he talks about planet Vegeta exploding:

"We weren't many to begin with. On top of that, our planet underwent a collision with an enourmous meteorite and it exploded/was destroyed...
Almost all the Saiyans disapeared that day... Including our parents...

Today there are only four of us left, with you included! I and another Saiyan were in the middle of attacking planets on our own so we escaped the tragedy. One more was sent to another planet just like you were...

We recently found a very nice planet that could be sold for quite a high price! We want to attack the inhabitanta, but with only three it's a bit too close of a fight soo...

...I thought of you, Kakarotto. With four we could fight, despite your strength which still leaves much to be desired..."
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:03 pm

Sorry I can't help you with that, but doesn't anybody else see the problem with that? Raditz thinks that fighting with just himself, Nappa, and Vegeta wouldn't be enough, so he wants Goku's help?

At this time Goku's power level is like 300, while Vegeta's is around 20,000. What difference would it have really made if Goku helped or not?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:19 pm

He was probably just afraid for his own life on a mission of that scale (since Nappa+Vegeta would let him die if he got seriously wounded). He was probably thinking that, had Goku still had his tail, together they could make more of a dent into the populace.

On top of that Goku would be canon-fodder: obviously Radditz doesn't care about Goku either since he's only gone looking for him now.

Back on topic though, please.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

snen
Beyond Newbie

Post by snen » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:32 pm

Well, I don't have the original version but I can show you the version I have translated from the Japanese if you like? It should be fairly accurate, only the swear words will have been cut.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:30 pm

Swear words?! :?

Okey-dokey: pass it along, please!

snen
Beyond Newbie

Post by snen » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:13 pm

OK, here's what I think you're looking for:

I suppose you've forgotten that Vegeta, the Saiyan Homeworld was destroyed by collision with an asteroid.. Our entire race reduced do space dust.. Even our parents. YOUR parents Kakarot. Of all our proud and mighty race, only four remain... including you! We survived only because we were on other worlds.. Exterminating natives. Because we were doing 'wrong' as you put it. But we are ALIVE --! We remaining three recently found a planet which we know can be sold at a VERY high price. The locals however, are POTENT. Even THREE saiya-jin might have some trouble. Ah, but FOUR of us...! Thank the gods I remembered YOU, eh? Even my long-lost, ill-trained amnesiac little BROTHER should be enough to tip the scales. PICTURE it, Kakarot! Picture the CARNAGE! Feel your saiya-jin blood STIR!!

There ya go :wink: I'm really not sure how accurate a translation that its though, so if you have any Japanese friends/relatives who might have the uncut or better translated version..

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:17 pm

That's the VIZ version, just in case it isn't clear. And what do you mean, "uncut"? VIZ were only censoring "sexy" stuff. Violence and language were fair game. The only instances of VIZ censoring stuff from a language point of view is the "Hell Flash" and middle fingers from the Cell saga.

It's the same dialogue in the original, no censoring-at-all comic version they put out as well, if it helps.

And any reason why you felt the nead to change "Saiyans" to "Saiya-jin" there? And "Kakarrot" to "Kakarot", as well?
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:59 pm

Thanks for the help. I wanted to slam the Daizenshuu's claim that Goku's mother died the year after the destruction of planet Vegeta, and, like Deus earlier, verify why the hell a PL of 334 is such a miracle if someone with 18,000 can't hold out.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:16 pm

Well, Raditz was wrong about the asteroid. He could have been wrong about their mum too.

And as to how Goku can possibly help, I'd guess that Raditz assumed that Goku would have a higher power-level than 300-odd. Even after he found out, maybe he just decided to keep with the plan, hoping that maybe he'd be able to train Goku up a bit on their journey. Or maybe he's just an idiot who is incapable of deviating from a course of action once he's committed to it.

I suppose you could argue that even Raditz would be farely useless when placed next to Vegeta. After all, Tenshinhan, Kuririn and even Yamcha managed to defeat the same-strength-as-Raditz Saibamen pretty easily (excluding Yamcha turning his back, obviously), and yet all of them has the crap kicked out of them by Nappa, who in turn was killed by one blow from Vegeta. Really, you wonder how any of them would be of help to the Saiyan prince.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Muten Turtel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muten Turtel » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:31 pm

It's gotta be some kinda saiyan loyalty thing.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 pm

I always found that Vegita wasn't all that "patriotic" about his planet or people. Remember he had already known that Freeza destroyed his planet on purpose and he told Nappa and Raditz that he didn't care. Even they were shocked, and this is Nappa and Raditz! From the way Raditz and Nappa acted, as well as seeing the behaviour of Bardock and his team in the special, I would say that most Saiyajins seem to believe deeply in the idea of "comradery" and pride in themselves and their planet. That's most likely why Nappa and Raditz stayed with Vegita and were loyal. I figure Vegita was an exception to the rule.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Muten Turtel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muten Turtel » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:43 pm

If their alive theirs no point in radomly killing them anyway. Vegeta stuck with them probably because the rest of Frieza's men disrespected saiyans so even if Vegeta didn't care much for them, since they're there why would he not at least hang around them, he killed Nappa probably cause it made him look strong to Goku (after them all having trouble with Nappa) and he felt no-more use for him.

snen
Beyond Newbie

Post by snen » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:33 am

PsyLiam wrote:That's the VIZ version, just in case it isn't clear. And what do you mean, "uncut"? VIZ were only censoring "sexy" stuff. Violence and language were fair game. The only instances of VIZ censoring stuff from a language point of view is the "Hell Flash" and middle fingers from the Cell saga.

It's the same dialogue in the original, no censoring-at-all comic version they put out as well, if it helps.

And any reason why you felt the nead to change "Saiyans" to "Saiya-jin" there? And "Kakarrot" to "Kakarot", as well?
Yeah, I wasn't sure how cut it was. I wrote 'saiya-jin' as habit and probably 'Kakarot' cus that's how I usually spell it ^^;