MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/3/20!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7593
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 7/5/18!)

Post by Noah » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:42 pm

That was indeed very informative, thanks a lot for sharing that kenisu website! Never in my life have I needed something so much and never known until I received it.

Also have you ever thought of letting your hair grows up to the back? You would a look like SSJ3 Goku :D
DanielSSJ wrote:
Noah wrote:A small nitpick, but this track or that one would suit better on the opening than Unmei no Hi IMO
That seems like a battle that was lost ages ago. I can't imagine that Lance ever intended to not use Unmei no Hi for the Cell Arc.
Not denying that Unmei no Hi is a iconic insert song, but it just serve its role for a specific moment of the arc. But again I'm just nitpicking :P
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
FoolsGil
I Live Here
Posts: 4256
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/20/18!)

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:42 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:This isn't quite Dragon Ball Dissection, but I did realize recently I was going to be coming up on my 20th anniversary as a Dragon Ball fan, so I decided to celebrate by making a video of my favorite edits from the first two seasons. I had a lot of fun making this one. I had a bit less fun trying to force myself to say dub names my mouth hasn't been used to forming in about 18 years. :lol:

20 Years of DBZ on Toonami! 10 Favorite Edits from Seasons 1 and 2
"Looks like I'm back in the saddle, what luck! This three eyed cowboy is going for one last ride!"

:wtf: ...I don't know how the hell I missed that one as a kid. But hearing it now...Wow.
Dragonball Exiles Chapter One. Chapter Two In Production.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:12 pm

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/20/18!)

Post by jcogginsa » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:40 am

I'm surprised you didn't bring up the Home for Infinite Losers

User avatar
BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here
Posts: 2043
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/20/18!)

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:32 pm

No love for the double entendre of Piccolo referencing the David and Goliath story? Likely my first exposure to egregious English scripts, six/seven year old me knew this was an Asian cartoon and that attempted verbal aid just threw me. And I saw the Tree of Might split too! I don't remember most of these, great video choice.
JacobYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:36 pm

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/20/18!)

Post by lancerman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:08 am

matt0044 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I'm glad you talked about the mystery being solved immediately because I honestly never understood the people who praise the Cell arc for that aspect, when it's done so poorly.
More like the lead up to Cell's reveal was pretty damn good for all that it's worth. That's not to say that keeping the mystery going wouldn't have been far better.
I disagree. Way too many people, especially here, have praised the Cell arc for it's mystery being a strength of the arc when the the truth is the mystery is spelled out almost as soon as it is set up. It's really know more a mystery than any intrigue you might have got from Raditz when he landed on Earth up to the point where he goes to Kami house and spells everything out.

User avatar
Fizzer
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1396
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/20/18!)

Post by Fizzer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:05 am

lancerman wrote: I disagree. Way too many people, especially here, have praised the Cell arc for it's mystery being a strength of the arc when the the truth is the mystery is spelled out almost as soon as it is set up. It's really know more a mystery than any intrigue you might have got from Raditz when he landed on Earth up to the point where he goes to Kami house and spells everything out.
TFS hinted at the way the mystery could have been handled better and not instantly explained in it's entirety. Just by not giving away Cell's goal (or at least what he needs to achieve it) until he shows up on the island with Piccolo and the androids, and not detailing how he got his hands on the time machine until he fights Trunks, they demonstrated that the mystery can be woven throughout the entire Act 2 of the arc.

It really could have been very good had Cell not explained everything straight away.

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 3970
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/20/18!)

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:26 pm

How would you guys handle Cells debut?

I think I'd alter it so he appears as a good guy and claims Bulma made him. He and Piccolo beat the Androids and then Cell turns on Piccolo and absorbs 17. Granted in that way we dont really any get any horror/mystery at all, just a plot twist.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5907
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 10/1/18!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:51 am

Coola 2: The Electrifying Sequel - Dragon Ball Dissection: Clash!! 10,000,000,000 Powerful Warriors

I never imagined I could talk about movie 6 for over 20 minutes, but life surprises you sometimes. Never stop telling people, "You're the hero guy!"
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 7/6/20!)
Current Episode: Overloading on Gods - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 6!

User avatar
coola
I Live Here
Posts: 2976
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am
Location: Poland

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 10/1/18!)

Post by coola » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:06 am

Personally, i like to look at all these movies as what-if scenarios, trying to put them in main timeline is almost impossible, save for few movies.

i always wondered about Piccolo strength, if Dende is God here, Piccolo fused with God and beat Cyborgs/Cell, but, question is, why he is so weak here? He doesn't far much better against these droids compared to Gohan and Kuririn, and Metal Coola kicked his butt with ease. At least in TFS they made it he just doesn't care about Coola and others, and just want to save Gohan :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

User avatar
BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here
Posts: 2043
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 10/1/18!)

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:34 pm

I knew you would make a heavy point about Dende to the point you would cut comments off- because they would deluge- and rightfully so, you can tell its off even just reading the rest of the characters in the movie itself. None of the possibilities there are smooth. I actually agree about the Cooler fight being more effective than it has any right to be given the story. Metal Cooler just looks painful to fight to start with, on the giving and receiving, and goes for faces, groins, and chokes besides- "the road the Broly" that Slug first laid was paved well- which makes finally putting out the power to take him out have a build up of sorts that Z-era "undefinable health" fights rarely have. Toriyama would try that with Buu but Metal Cooler might have struck a better balance. And most fight cuts that aren't awful are pretty good- the teleport "world" to visually sell their speed, Goku and Vegeta abruptly bailing each other out. Shame the rest of it is stupid. You're right, these movies are brand movers and need to be decent for it.

But you never mentioned that time Piccolo created a canyon. That has to be the most understated mass destruction in the series.
JacobYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

User avatar
DNA
I Live Here
Posts: 4223
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:23 pm
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 10/1/18!)

Post by DNA » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:20 pm

I personally like to call that "teleport dimension" Hyperspace. It's a name that just fits, taking into account what it is and what the Hyperspace trope is used for.

I too am very curious to what the explanation behind Dende is; I had no idea the movie came before that was established in the manga.
Dragon Box Archives, in search of the best possible releases.

Join our Discord server!

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 10/1/18!)

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:46 pm

I'm surprised you didn't point out this was the last time we see Kaio-Ken in the movies, and the second to last time in "the original run" of anime stuff.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 3970
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 10/1/18!)

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:38 pm

I always thought this film could have worked as a Vegeta-centric film. Set it during the 3 year gap when Vegeta is training in space and have him cross paths with Cooler on some random planet. Maybe have Goku sense the battle and teleport, if Toei really needs him for marketing.

As for Dende being Kami, I guess it can be listed as a potential anime influence on the comic. I wonder what else is there? Yajirobe, Bardock and Vegetto?

Movie came out same day as Sailor Moon anime debuted!
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

superfan2024
Regular
Posts: 657
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 10/1/18!)

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:27 am

Image

Uhhhhh "Mount Paozu"

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5907
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 10/1/18!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:39 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Image

Uhhhhh "Mount Paozu"
Yep. As far as I'm concerned, this confirms that Super in general is more interested and invested in following the anime continuity than the original manga continuity. See also: Piccolo having five fingers in the Super manga, see also, also: Gregory appearing in the Super anime. Personally, I've always found it rather presumptuous of fans to assume that the Super manga followed the original manga continuity just because it was released in the same medium.

Honestly, I find this makes a lot more sense and eases a lot of weight that's been on my mind with the ridiculously-heavy continuity snarl that all the various forms of Super have created. What's Battle of Gods in continuity with? Well, it was heavily written by Toriyama, so it's the "canonical" follow-up to the manga! Oh, but it's named Dragon Ball Z, so does that mean it's in the anime continuity? Oh, and now there's a highly different version of the same events in a television series. What's that in continuity with? Is the movie manga continuity and the series anime continuity? Who knows! Nobody says anything. Oh, but there's also this promotional manga that tells the same story but with additional differences. But it's a manga, so it has to be in continuity with the manga, right? But where does that leave the movie? It's just an absolute mess that has been driving me crazy to try and think about.

But this makes it easier. All three of them are just branches of the revised, Kai-ified anime timeline, and the original manga is completely unsullied by Super's existence since none of the versions can adequately fit in its timeline. And now I can sleep easier at night. The only other alternative for me in light of this crap is to completely lose it over how little attention to detail Super can be bothered to give. What a fucking train wreck...
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 7/6/20!)
Current Episode: Overloading on Gods - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 6!

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 10/1/18!)

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:18 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:But this makes it easier. All three of them are just branches of the revised, Kai-ified anime timeline, and the original manga is completely unsullied by Super's existence since none of the versions can adequately fit in its timeline. And now I can sleep easier at night. The only other alternative for me in light of this crap is to completely lose it over how little attention to detail Super can be bothered to give. What a fucking train wreck...
Nah, it sucks so much you can't even fit it into Kai:
Image
Image
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5907
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 10/1/18!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:34 pm

Good point. Geez, remember when things used to be comparatively simple, where you had the manga run and the DB-Z-GT anime run? And the only "where the fuck do they go" elements were the Z movies, most of which no one was really too bothered over in the first place? And then there was a nice little DB movie continuity that was very consistently and obviously walled off from everything else. I sure miss those days. I miss when the biggest points of contention were relegated to wondering how Movie 1 and villains with bodies fit into the anime timeline.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 7/6/20!)
Current Episode: Overloading on Gods - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 6!

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 10/1/18!)

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:44 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Good point. Geez, remember when things used to be comparatively simple, where you had the manga run and the DB-Z-GT anime run? And the only "where the fuck do they go" elements were the Z movies, most of which no one was really too bothered over in the first place? And then there was a nice little DB movie continuity that was very consistently and obviously walled off from everything else. I sure miss those days. I miss when the biggest points of contention were relegated to wondering how Movie 1 and villains with bodies fit into the anime timeline.
Not really, I was getting into this in late 2014/early 2015 around the time extended BoG and F were coming out so these simpler days you speak of might as well be Narnia for me.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
Captain-Sora
Regular
Posts: 527
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:22 am
Location: Earth

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 10/1/18!)

Post by Captain-Sora » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:02 pm

Super can't be in continuity with the manga if it uses the Toei color schemes.

Image

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8822
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 10/1/18!)

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Good point. Geez, remember when things used to be comparatively simple, where you had the manga run and the DB-Z-GT anime run? And the only "where the fuck do they go" elements were the Z movies, most of which no one was really too bothered over in the first place? And then there was a nice little DB movie continuity that was very consistently and obviously walled off from everything else. I sure miss those days. I miss when the biggest points of contention were relegated to wondering how Movie 1 and villains with bodies fit into the anime timeline.
The only reason I can't really ignore the Super manga in relation to the original manga is that some of the pages are literally drawn by Toriyama (plus the story is written by him, every chapter is checked by him, most-to-all of the characters are designed by him, and the ratio of Toriyama-to-Not is by definition far higher than the anime).
It's a weird situation. I can't really justify a way to ignore it that can't also be used as a justification to ignore, say, the Kanzenban ending. Or even the Cell arc. Unless you want to get ultra-technical and say that only things 100% written and 100% drawn by Toriyama count, but in that case... do the pages he drew and wrote count while the ones surrounding them do not?

I actually like that there are three mutually irreconcilable but equally Toriyama-approved versions of how Goku met Beerus. I thought it would make people stop harping on so much about "canon."
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Post Reply