"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:01 pm

Alright guys, so episode 83 is airing. Let's hope Funi will finally say Bra, and "Bulla" will be no more. Fingers crossed!
Caulifla best girl! :)

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:24 pm

Bulla it is, Can’t say I’m surprised at all by this.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:24 pm

Bulla lives on!

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:30 pm

I just noticed; when Beerus and Champa split the page in the ending, the panel at the bottom left has a banner in it that says "Hercule"

Was that in the Japanese broadcast?
Cause as far as I know that was purely a Funimation idea that Viz has stubbornly stuck to despite all other media abandoning it, and Satans only other name in japan was Mark

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:49 pm

GOD-FUCKING-DAMMIT, FUNIMATION! The one chance you had to finally get Bra's name right, and you done fucked it up! (Once again, excuse my language)
Caulifla best girl! :)

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:52 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:I just noticed; when Beerus and Champa split the page in the ending, the panel at the bottom left has a banner in it that says "Hercule"

Cause as far as I know that was purely a Funimation idea that Viz has stubbornly stuck to despite all other media abandoning it, and Satans only other name in japan was Mark
Do you have a screenshot? The Japanese Blu-Ray says "Satan".

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:04 am

DHM211 wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:I just noticed; when Beerus and Champa split the page in the ending, the panel at the bottom left has a banner in it that says "Hercule"

I can't get a screenshot and my phones too junk to bother the process of taking a photo to host somewhere and link here

Double checked though and it /definitely/ says Hercule

Also worth noting that despite the banner being drawn and shaded the exact same way, Satan is missing from the panel entirely judging from that screenshot

Maybe someone at FUNi made the edit just as an Easter egg for the broadcast?

Or is there an international version Toei's distributing? Has any other country gotten this far?

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:31 am

Bulla forever !!
"Oh dear...."

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:12 am

He's right, the banner reads "Hercule" for some reason. Checked and this seems to be the case in all previous episodes with this ending as well.
AzuraRacon wrote:Also worth noting that despite the banner being drawn and shaded the exact same way, Satan is missing from the panel entirely judging from that screenshot
Toonami edits down the credits so it doesn't start until after Beerus and Champa start fighting, and at that point all of the characters have run away. Mr. Satan being out of the panel wouldn't be part of this change.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:13 am

AzuraRacon wrote:
DHM211 wrote:

I can't get a screenshot and my phones too junk to bother the process of taking a photo to host somewhere and link here

Also worth noting that despite the banner being drawn and shaded the exact same way, Satan is missing from the panel entirely judging from that screenshot

Or is there an international version Toei's distributing? Has any other country gotten this far?
I'm pretty sure that there is an edited version currently being broadcasted in most of Africa.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:17 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:GOD-FUCKING-DAMMIT, FUNIMATION! The one chance you had to finally get Bra's name right, and you done fucked it up! (Once again, excuse my language)
Grow up. You will live. No reason to get so bent out of shape when the anime has been using Bulla for years.
How i predict the tournament will end:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:33 am

TheOne wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:GOD-FUCKING-DAMMIT, FUNIMATION! The one chance you had to finally get Bra's name right, and you done fucked it up! (Once again, excuse my language)
Grow up. You will live. No reason to get so bent out of shape when the anime has been using Bulla for years.
More like over a decade. Bra has been Bulla here since 2003. This would be like Funi calling King Kai Kaio all the sudden. They were able to get away with Satan mostly because they headcanon that Hercule was his first name and Satan was always used in the unedited version even in Z.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:37 am

Bulla is also more similar syllables wise to the Japanese pronunciation, Bura. Otherwise they'd probably have to pronounce Bra slightly awkwardly to match?

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:56 pm

DHM211 wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:
DHM211 wrote: Do you have a screenshot? The Japanese Blu-Ray says "Satan".

I'm pretty sure that there is an edited version currently being broadcasted in most of Africa.
Hmm, interesting. I check the Latin American dub version of ed7v2 and it still has "SATAN" on the banner, so this is not an entirely international thing apparently. The "HERCULE" edit looks too good to be one of Funimation's in-house edits (which usually just masked over all instances of Satan on signs and things, and pasted Hercule, in comic sans times no less, over it). So it leads me to think Toei actually did it for international distributors upon request. Since Funimation is doing an edited dub for Toonami Africa, as you mentioned, they probably requested that the Hercule version be used for those airings, but somehow they also included it in the uncut airings for US Toonami. To add to the mystery, even though he is referred to as Hercule in the edited episodes, all visual references to Satan still appear unedited in the actual episodes, going by the clips from Toonami Africa's website. So it kind of makes the whole edit pointless to begin with. Pretty weird stuff overall, and good eye.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:34 pm

Funi used the name "Hercule" as a way of censoring Mr. Satan's name, but Funi didn't come up with Hercule. That was AB Groupe for its French dub (which they did due to Piccolo having been renamed "Satan's Little Heart" >.>). Ironically, the AB Groupe's "Big Green" dub of DBZ Movie 9 kept Mr. Satan as a name.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:42 pm

I'm fine with Bulla.

And man, she already has papa Vegeta wrapped around her baby fingers. When Dragon Ball comes back, I hope there is a time skip of sorts with that in there.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:29 am

Forgot how enjoyable this episode was. Apart from the dumb 28 planet lines its memorable for all the right reasons, Vegeta is one funny dad. It never struck me till now that Bulma's parents are Vegeta's in laws haha, thats a funny combination.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:47 am

I do feel Dragon Ball Gus though, they now ditched "Senzu Bean" for just "Senzu", they also started spelling Vegetto like that, they also started weirdly pronouncing "Corp" differently in the Trunks arc. Changes happening within this current dub so there is no reason "Bulla" couldn't have been "Bra" so that is why I think was more of a syllable/matching thing, then again Top is shorter than Toppo so who knows.
nato25 wrote:Forgot how enjoyable this episode was. Apart from the dumb 28 planet lines its memorable for all the right reasons, Vegeta is one funny dad. It never struck me till now that Bulma's parents are Vegeta's in laws haha, thats a funny combination.
It is episode like this just re-iterate why Goku is great and why the cast are always relieved when he is around and why Bulma was happy to see him in the first episode of this arc, he is just a bundle of positivity.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:36 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I do feel Dragon Ball Gus though, they now ditched "Senzu Bean" for just "Senzu", they also started spelling Vegetto like that, they also started weirdly pronouncing "Corp" differently in the Trunks arc. Changes happening within this current dub so there is no reason "Bulla" couldn't have been "Bra" so that is why I think was more of a syllable/matching thing, then again Top is shorter than Toppo so who knows.
nato25 wrote:Forgot how enjoyable this episode was. Apart from the dumb 28 planet lines its memorable for all the right reasons, Vegeta is one funny dad. It never struck me till now that Bulma's parents are Vegeta's in laws haha, thats a funny combination.
It is episode like this just re-iterate why Goku is great and why the cast are always relieved when he is around and why Bulma was happy to see him in the first episode of this arc, he is just a bundle of positivity.
"Bra" could have just been too on the nose, possibly.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:"Bra" could have just been too on the nose, possibly.
Something being too on the nose for Dragon Ball? No... :think:
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs