No Kaio-Ken for Yamcha, Chiaotzu, Ten & Piccolo?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

finnishjuoppo
Beyond Newbie

No Kaio-Ken for Yamcha, Chiaotzu, Ten & Piccolo?

Post by finnishjuoppo » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:31 am

the title says it all. Why didn't king Kai teach kaio-ken for boys?
Was he too lazy or something?
-"this is madness"
-"madness? no.. this..is.. dragonball!"

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:27 am

Well considering the technique itself was extremely difficult and rare for anyone to master, it's not really so suprising. If I recall correctly, Goku was the first and only of Kaio-sama's pupils ever to do so.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

DominatorLost
Beyond Newbie

Post by DominatorLost » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:43 pm

And it was ultimately abandoned before long.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:33 pm

Since Piccolo was only there a week, it's understandable with him. The others however, I wish Mr. Toriyama had given them that since they were there as long as Goku (and longer in Tien's case) , were stronger than he was when he got there, and if you go by filler, caught Bubbles in a shorter amount of time.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: No kaio-ken for Yamcha, Chiatzou,Tenshinhan and Piccolo?

Post by Rocketman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:57 pm

finnishjuoppo wrote:Why didn't king Kai teach kaio-ken for boys?
Super Saiyan happened.

finnishjuoppo
Beyond Newbie

Post by finnishjuoppo » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:55 pm

"super saiyan happened"

Yes indeed, OMG

and sorry about that message, I edited it
Last edited by finnishjuoppo on Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-"this is madness"

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:59 pm

finnishjuoppo wrote:OMG
"OMG" what?

Must not backseat mod. Must not backseat mod...!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:39 pm

Kendamu wrote:
finnishjuoppo wrote:OMG
"OMG" what?

Must not backseat mod. Must not backseat mod...!
Indeed.

Not only are you expected to type properly here (as per the forum rules), but we'd also appreciate a little substance in the posts. Thanks!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:46 pm

Yeah, Kaioken was a near impossible skill to learn according to King Kai. To the point, in fact, that not even King Kai could use it. He invented it but he couldn't even use it himself. Thus chances for the other Z Fighters to learn it would be non existant. Hell, I think the only reason Goku was even able to learn and use it was because he was Saiya-jin. His body was simply geared toward the skill far more than anyone else, as shown by the fact he's able to go up to a 20x before no longer using it.

Though it would have been awesome for the humans to learn to do it. I believe Tien figured it out to a limited extent and put that knowledge to use with his pre-existing skills. Hence the Tri-beam assault that managed to hold off Semi-Perfect Cell. But if they'd learned it in full force they wouldn't have lost usefulness nearly as quickly. I mean, Gero confused YAMCHA with Goku when he first picked up his energy.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:05 pm

Xyex wrote:I mean, Gero confused YAMCHA with Goku when he first picked up his energy.
Of course, the last time he had any data on Goku was when Goku was at 8,000. :P

finnishjuoppo
Beyond Newbie

Post by finnishjuoppo » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:11 pm

But Yamcha, Tien and Krillin are only humans that could have learned kaio-ken right? Yamcha and Tien could have learned it in king kai's planet and Krillin could have learned kaio-ken in grand kai's planet after he was defeated by majin buu.
King Kai said that he will give the same Goku training to Piccolo, Chiatzou, Yamcha and Tien.
-"this is madness"

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:14 pm

I think they do know how to use it, but since it isn't really relevant to the rest of the series, it isn't mentioned. Perhaps they use it in a similar way Goku did while fighting Freeza? Not at all unlikely, since they trained so hard for the Androids. Anyway.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:42 am

Hmm. I just realized that the 'second tier crew' learned about Kaioken, at least, considering they knew about it while Goku was fighting Freeza. (They probably were told in the anime and I just forgot because I've only seen that like once.. -.-.).

*wonders how the fighting styles of the other Kaio differ from the catfish man of the north*
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Drunken Master
Regular

Post by Drunken Master » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:47 am

They didn't learn it because they aren't main characters. It's not that deep, Goku knows a bunch of techniques that would be useful for everyone to learn, but no one else knows them. Why? Because Goku is greedy? No, it's because he's the main character. It's like asking why he never taught anyone the instant transmission technique, or the spirit bomb. It's because Toriyama always wanted the main character, Goku, to have the upperhand, even against all odds.
AKA [b]Pope Blitzkrieg XVI[/b], [b]Mr. Shades-Internet McCool[/b]

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:45 am

Let's face it, Yamcha was introduced in the Pilaf saga, unless you're Goku, if you're introduced in the Pilaf saga,. you're worthless.

Bulma was only let off because Vegeta needed an earth fairy to sleep with to concieve Trunks.

I do wish that Toriyama let the "Earth-Fairies" stay in the manga as more than "Some Character's parents" or some people Goku met earlier in the series and didn't follow Upa and Mirai Trunks's suit (Leaving as soon as Goku defeated Pilaf, Piccolo and the others)

I really do wish they stayed Main Characters, but oh well it can't be fixed.

SuperVegito17
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperVegito17 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:22 am

Super Sonic wrote:Since Piccolo was only there a week, it's understandable with him. The others however, I wish Mr. Toriyama had given them that since they were there as long as Goku (and longer in Tenshinhan's case) , were stronger than he was when he got there, and if you go by filler, caught Bubbles in a shorter amount of time.
The others were busy :looking" at what was happening in Namek than to train, after Piccolo left :D
my latest Music Video -> http://stage6.divx.com/user/SuperVegito17/blog/

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:25 pm

AnzuMazaki wrote:I really do wish they stayed Main Characters, but oh well it can't be fixed.
That's where you're messing up. There are no main characters, there is only Goku.

Aremke
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Aremke » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:26 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Xyex wrote:I mean, Gero confused YAMCHA with Goku when he first picked up his energy.
Of course, the last time he had any data on Goku was when Goku was at 8,000. :P
This scan should help.

http://www.rmkworld.net/ELSEWHERE/notes/androidpg3.jpg

Or it could be that he planned ahead like the above scan states, which is why he made himself so strong. He just didn't know about the exponential increase of Super Saiyans. So if he confused Yamcha with what he expected for Goku, well... that's all circumstantial to what Gero projected (and highly speculative). I know I know, that's like blasphemy, right? How dare I think Yamcha got stronger than a Saibaman.

Anyway back on topic, I agree with Drunken Master. Goku is the main character and going to be the primary focus. It's tough work juggling a dozen characters and trying to fit them all into a cohesive, relevant storyline, especially considering Toriyama's schedule. I know with my fan manga, trying to keep everything together, let alone diverge into minor plot points for supporting characters, is taxing. Sometimes, you just have to focus on the main plot and that's when stuff and sadly, good characters, ends up on the cutting room floor. Just like DVD extras.

I personally believe Yamcha and Tenshinhan learned the Kaioken, but their screen time afterwards didn't merit any strong showing in light of the dawn of Super Saiyans. I don't think they would have learned the Spirit Bomb however, since it requires a pure heart. I don't think Kaio-sama would have even attempted to teach them that.
Last edited by Aremke on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Justice, Honor, Hope, Purity, Victory"

Update: Issue 10 is up! Volume 1 is complete!

Please check out my Yamcha fan manga:
http://www.rmkworld.net/ELSEWHERE/elsewhere.htm

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:05 pm

Aremke wrote:Or it could be that he planned ahead like the above scan states, which is why he made himself so strong. He just didn't know about the exponential increase of Super Saiyans. So if he confused Yamcha with what he expected for Goku, well... that's all circumstantial to what Gero projected (and highly speculative).
My guess is that Yamcha peaks around 20,000.
I know I know, that's like blasphemy, right? How dare I think Yamcha never got stronger than a Saibaman like most fans.
Snippy, snippy.

Aremke
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Aremke » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:30 am

I know I know, that's like blasphemy, right? How dare I think Yamcha never got stronger than a Saibaman like most fans.
Snippy, snippy.[/quote]

Yeah, sorry, I need to not post things before I have to go into work. That wasn't directed at you; it was more like most fans I've observed.

Least you didn't point out the syntax error >_< Editing!
"Justice, Honor, Hope, Purity, Victory"

Update: Issue 10 is up! Volume 1 is complete!

Please check out my Yamcha fan manga:
http://www.rmkworld.net/ELSEWHERE/elsewhere.htm