"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:23 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
mint0h wrote:
shadd21 wrote:This episode felt like a big showcase of voice actors for Funi.
BTW, is Dyspo's voiced by a black guy?
Yes, I just found the guy who voiced "Dispo" because he was the only name I could focus on while the credits rolled.

His name is "Christopher Dontrell Piper."
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm7290602/
Wow, looks like Funi casted another movie star, as if James Marsters wasn't enough.
He totally killed it as Rebel Driver in BvS! His performance still gives me goosebumps. :P

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:12 am

Mooreish wrote:...so does this make universe 11 the ghetto universe?
There's... a lot wrong with this. Maybe look to some of the other responses for better ways to discuss some of the performances.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:14 am

Loving Dyspo English Voice so far it suits his character.
    Casserale is pretty dumb like Top I just don't like these names.

WittyUsername
    I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:33 pm

They got an actor who was in a major Hollywood production as Dyspo? That’s a bit surprising. Then again, they did get Peter Mayhew to voice a minor villain in the GT special all the way back in 2004.

MrTennek
    Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:49 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
    There's... a lot wrong with this. Maybe look to some of the other responses for better ways to discuss some of the performances.
    Outrage culture. :lol:

Shaddy
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:18 pm

Yeah, or maybe characterizing a trend of a universe having a slightly higher number of black actors as "the ghetto one" is a bit stereotypical.

Mooreish
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:55 pm

MrTennek wrote:
    VegettoEX wrote:
    Outrage culture. :lol:
    I know right?

Mooreish
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:55 pm

Shaddy wrote:Yeah, or maybe characterizing a trend of a universe having a slightly higher number of black actors as "the ghetto one" is a bit stereotypical.
    Nah, it’s just more fun. We can call them the universal gangstas.

RandomGuy96
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:38 pm

Dyspo's voice doesn't fit at all. I'm also kinda bugged they went with "Casserale" after their straightforward takes on the Vermoud and Top puns.
    The Monkey King wrote:
    RandomGuy96 wrote:
    dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
    He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
    It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
    Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Bergamo
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:27 pm

Mooreish wrote:
    Shaddy wrote:Yeah, or maybe characterizing a trend of a universe having a slightly higher number of black actors as "the ghetto one" is a bit stereotypical.
    Why exactly do you feel the need to push the agenda that all Black People are criminals? These are cartoon aliens, so why racialize them based on their voice actors? No one ever mentions that all of the Z fighters sound white, despite the "trend" in their voice actors.
    My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Kataphrut
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:56 pm

Casserale found Top's missing syllable. Also, it got lost in all the nerds being weird about black people, but the alien baddie was voiced by Howard Wang (another TFS-adjacent fella) and he did a great job. I loved the deliberately cheesy lines they gave him and the Pride Troopers, really captured the idea of this as a sentai universe.

Nokra
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:27 pm

Bergamo wrote:
    Mooreish wrote:
    Why exactly do you feel the need to push the agenda that all Black People are criminals? These are cartoon aliens, so why racialize them based on their voice actors? No one ever mentions that all of the Z fighters sound white, despite the "trend" in their voice actors.
    I was kinda wondering the same thing... :think:

MrTennek
    Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:12 am

People nowadays always need something to be offended by, eh? It's like they subsist off it or something.

Scsigs
    I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:34 am

Kataphrut wrote:Casserale found Top's missing syllable. Also, it got lost in all the nerds being weird about black people, but the alien baddie was voiced by Howard Wang (another TFS-adjacent fella) and he did a great job. I loved the deliberately cheesy lines they gave him and the Pride Troopers, really captured the idea of this as a sentai universe.
    Would've said a TFS alumni, since he's done some tertiary voices for them, rather than just adjacent.
    MrTennek wrote:People nowadays always need something to be offended by, eh? It's like they subsist off it or something.
    I mean, I kinda agree, I mean this is the fandom where some people feel offended by Popo because of blackface, even though he's a genie, but this I kinda get. Don't forget that some people also think Piccolo would be black or something just because his voice only slightly resembles a black person's in the dub, so...I'm torn here.
    Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
    Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
    https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Bergamo
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:57 am

MrTennek wrote:People nowadays always need something to be offended by, eh? It's like they subsist off it or something.
    Dude stop. You're not contributing to the conversation, and you are borderline trolling. I'm not even offended by the moderately racist joke, because I am above getting riled up about internet comments, but that doesn't mean I can't point out that it's in bad taste. I'm disappointed if this is what the kanzenshuu community is now.
    My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:00 am

"lolz outrage culture SJWs" nonsense doesn't fly / work on us here. That there is denial and/or lack of understanding about what the problem(s) is/are here is... problematic, and not representative of this community's culture.

Account strikes come next. These add up to temporary/permanent bans, which revoke access to the entirety of the Kanzenshuu website. Please re-evaluate what it is you are looking to get out of your time and access here.
    :: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
    :: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Scsigs
    I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:46 pm

Right. This isn't the place for that kind of thing. It's not like that kind of culture is infesting the show or anything like some others. FUNi had to hire a whole lot of new actors for this arc & it just so happens that a lot of characters from one of the universes are voiced by black people. I don't really see why this needed to be brought up in the first place. It's not like it matters much in the long run, since it's just an arc of this one show meant for just 50 episodes of entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less.

P.S. I worded my last statement poorly, sorry.
    Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
    Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
    https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Mooreish
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:36 pm

Bergamo wrote:
    Mooreish wrote:
    I’m not being racist. I’m just paraphrasing a marlon Webb vine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjmUOKqaT7c

And besides. It’s a pattern, can’t we point out a pattern when it’s done in a specific place on a show? You don’t hear any of the other universes having any voices that aren’t Caucasian. Only universe 11 has so far been this universe. And I kind of like it. It’s a unique trait that funimation has added to the show story. It’s a positive in my opinion. Makes them stand out more.

And besides, think of the meme potential.

And I just found that this is the wrong video.

Edit: fixed

Clip is at 0:07
    Last edited by Mooreish on Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:50 pm

"I'm just parroting something I don't understand the larger context for" isn't particularly valid for anything other than a learning experience, which hopefully has happened here.

Cure Dragon 255
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:01 pm

Think of the meme potential is not an argument you want to make in this sort of situation.
    Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
    90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: