Which of FUNimation's Name Changes Bother You the Most?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Which of FUNimation's Name Changes Bother You the Most?

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:34 am

Taking the Son out of Son Goku and sons. Except that one time in Kai

Also Telluce to Turles because it ruins the obvious vegetable thematic/joke the Saiyajin are suppose to have and for the longest time when I was a kid thought his name was Turtles. Not to be confused with Turtle the turtle or the Turtle Hermit

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:14 pm

Gokuman1993 wrote:I know that Kuririn's name is Kuririn, yet I always refer to him as "Krillin" in my mind.
I'll write "Kuririn" if I have the time to process and think about it, but in casual conversation, I'll probably always call him Krillin, just because it's easier to say in casual conversation. Well, that and one of the first things I asked when I first came to Kanzenshuu was what Kuririn's real name was. At that point, I had read "Kuririn" in the subtitles, heard "Krillin" in the dub, and saw him wearing a hat that read "Kulilin" (in the episode where he, Gohan, and Bulma arrive on Namek). So I got to a point where I was just like...OK, what IS his name!? :lol:

The explanation I got is that "Krillin" is a valid way of romanizing his name, but many people still prefer "Kuririn" because it's truer to the pun-based naming that Toriyama loves using for his Dragon Ball characters, with the "Kuri" part being a reference to his head. My semi-weak defense for still using "Krillin" is that it still makes use of a pun, "krill," which could work as a pun for his short size. For that matter, it even still works with the "lin" part of his name (which is a pun on Shaolin monks), making his dub-based pun name..."short warrior-monk." That works!

Now, is that new pun intentional on the part of the FUNimation dub script writers who first adapted his name and dialogue back in the mid-late 90's? Almost definitely not. It is, in all likelihood, completely unintentional. I mean, maybe it was intentional, but let's be honest, all the evidence we have available to us suggests that FUNimation didn't really "get" Dragon Ball back then. Hence the reason I described it as a "semi-weak" defense. Still, between the fact that it's a valid romanization and still works as a pun, "Krillin" is a dub pronunciation that I continue to use and not feel bad about. If anything, I find his dub name still inadvertently working as a pun to be pretty amusing!

Also amusing--but for the wrong reasons--are his Harmony Gold dub name ("Bongo"), or his Big Green dub name ("Clearin").
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:28 pm

Krillin, Tien Shinhan, Shenron, Hercule, and Bulma drive me up a wall.

I also hate "Frieza," "Vegito," Spirit Bomb, Destructo Disc, Tri-Beam... Basically any attack that gets its named changed is only changed for the worst. "Special Beam Cannon?" Yuck.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:33 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Rafa Fast wrote:also, putting Black before Goku "Black Goku" don't annoys me too.
Isnt that something only some fans do?
it is? I actually don't know, I don't watch the series in english actually, I just watch some times the clips in english, I just know some things about funi and the names changes because of the games, I always play the videogames in english, but I didn't heard yet a clip of the english dub of someone saying "Black Goku", I thought it was official because I see a lot of youtube channels with Black Goku as name.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:40 pm

Senzu Bean (Redundant. Senzu already means Hermit Bean. What's the need to add Bean again?)
Vegito (Where does that "i" come from?)
Dabura (It ruins the pun for the Majin family/team about names related to Magic. Should have been adapted into Dabra.)
Top (Even though it's correct, I don't like it.)
Special Beam Cannon (It sounds dumb.)
Frieza (Well, it's pronounced the same way as Freeza but the spelling kills the pun to me.)
Pikkon (I really don't understand it. It is so hard to pronounce Paikuhan?)

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:02 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:Krillin, Tien Shinhan, Shenron, Hercule, and Bulma drive me up a wall.

I also hate "Frieza," "Vegito," Spirit Bomb, Destructo Disc, Tri-Beam... Basically any attack that gets its named changed is only changed for the worst. "Special Beam Cannon?" Yuck.
Oh yeah I forgot about the techniques names, I hate their names changes too, Genkidama to Spirit Bomb, Kienzan to Destructo Disc,Kikoho to Tri-Beam, Makankosappo to Special Beam Cannon, Dodonpa to Dodon Ray, Rogafufuken to Wolf Rang Fist, Taiyoken to Solar Flare, dawg I hate them all...At least they kept the original names for some ones, Masenko was saved, I prefer both Galick Ho or Galick Gun, and they kept Final Flash oh good! because I live in Brazil, and I just hate that some times here they say "Final Splendour"...
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:14 pm

Tian wrote:Senzu Bean (Redundant. Senzu already means Hermit Bean. What's the need to add Bean again?)
Vegito (Where does that "i" come from?)
Dabura (It ruins the pun for the Majin family/team about names related to Magic. Should have been adapted into Dabra.)
Top (Even though it's correct, I don't like it.)
Special Beam Cannon (It sounds dumb.)
Frieza (Well, it's pronounced the same way as Freeza but the spelling kills the pun to me.)
Pikkon (I really don't understand it. It is so hard to pronounce Paikuhan?)
Bro what??? seriously that Funi changed Toppo to Top? I don't watch the series in english, but this can't true, the translation can be right, but I think is just stupid! I'm glad that they kept Toppo here!
and thank you I forgot Pikkon too, I hate this one, looks like a alternate name for Piccolo or a esier way to say Piccolo, just unnecessary, Paikuhan will always be better, they didn't kept it because is so large or hard to pronounce??? I watch some english youtube channels and I just hate when they say Pikkon...

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:42 pm

Is it cheating to say "all of them"? I hate name changes just as a principle. Although if I were forced to choose...I guess I'd have to go with Vegito. Mainly just because I can't find a defense for that "i". Mostly everything else I can think of at least some excuse for that someone could use to defend it.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:24 pm

Frieza, Tien, Chiaotzu, Korin, Ox King, Pikkon.

But even worse is that they mispronounced the word Saiyan and never gave a fuck to fix that.

SheonGT

Post by SheonGT » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:33 pm

For me, it's the lack of a name change that bothers me the most. Vegito doesn't make sense in English like it does in Japanese because Vegeta calls Goku Kakarot and not Kakarotto. It should've been Vegerot like in the manga translation. Doesn't hurt anything.
Ask me about my love for the Faulconer Productions score!

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:51 pm

Honestly at this point... More than any of them I'm annoyed at the lack of a change for "Zen-Oh". Which is probably in part due to trying very hard back before the official TL started to get people to call him King of All or Omni-King or... anything that actually conveys the meaning, only for that non-translation to then become the official terminology and basically ensuring that it would never, ever go away. It's not even consistent with all the other gods' names. If the dub had also used "Kai-Oh" and stuff like that, there might be a case for it but... they didn't.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:15 pm

SheonGT wrote:For me, it's the lack of a name change that bothers me the most. Vegito doesn't make sense in English like it does in Japanese because Vegeta calls Goku Kakarot and not Kakarotto. It should've been Vegerot like in the manga translation. Doesn't hurt anything.
What's he called on the Japanese manga?

Gokuman1993
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokuman1993 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:24 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Gokuman1993 wrote:I know that Kuririn's name is Kuririn, yet I always refer to him as "Krillin" in my mind.
I'll write "Kuririn" if I have the time to process and think about it, but in casual conversation, I'll probably always call him Krillin, just because it's easier to say in casual conversation. Well, that and one of the first things I asked when I first came to Kanzenshuu was what Kuririn's real name was. At that point, I had read "Kuririn" in the subtitles, heard "Krillin" in the dub, and saw him wearing a hat that read "Kulilin" (in the episode where he, Gohan, and Bulma arrive on Namek). So I got to a point where I was just like...OK, what IS his name!? :lol:

The explanation I got is that "Krillin" is a valid way of romanizing his name, but many people still prefer "Kuririn" because it's truer to the pun-based naming that Toriyama loves using for his Dragon Ball characters, with the "Kuri" part being a reference to his head. My semi-weak defense for still using "Krillin" is that it still makes use of a pun, "krill," which could work as a pun for his short size. For that matter, it even still works with the "lin" part of his name (which is a pun on Shaolin monks), making his dub-based pun name..."short warrior-monk." That works!

Now, is that new pun intentional on the part of the FUNimation dub script writers who first adapted his name and dialogue back in the mid-late 90's? Almost definitely not. It is, in all likelihood, completely unintentional. I mean, maybe it was intentional, but let's be honest, all the evidence we have available to us suggests that FUNimation didn't really "get" Dragon Ball back then. Hence the reason I described it as a "semi-weak" defense. Still, between the fact that it's a valid romanization and still works as a pun, "Krillin" is a dub pronunciation that I continue to use and not feel bad about. If anything, I find his dub name still inadvertently working as a pun to be pretty amusing!

Also amusing--but for the wrong reasons--are his Harmony Gold dub name ("Bongo"), or his Big Green dub name ("Clearin").
Huh, never thought of it that way :D Krillin: "short warrior monk" That sounds perfect :lol:

Though, do also you still use dub names like "Tien Shinhan" or "Frieza"? Are there semi-weak defenses for those? Just wondering.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:20 pm

Gokuman1993 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:

Huh, never thought of it that way :D Krillin: "short warrior monk" That sounds perfect :lol:

Though, do also you still use dub names like "Tien Shinhan" or "Frieza"? Are there semi-weak defenses for those? Just wondering.
Heh, not......reeaaallly. Here's what I mean by that. As soon as I learned that "Freeza" was the correct spelling, I started using that spelling and never looked back. Quite frankly, even as a kid I wondered why there was an "i" in the spelling, and I got an explanation a little under a decade later: there isn't. FUNimation just took the liberty of using a weird spelling. When I learned that, I was like, "...Oh. Huh...well, whatever, that's weird."

With that said, I don't regularly use "Tien," but I still will every once in a while, and whenever I do, it's always for the same purpose: if I'm talking to somebody whose familiarity with Dragon Ball is primarily (or perhaps even exclusively) limited to the dub, I'll say "Tien" then just to avoid confusing whoever I'm talking to. To suddenly whip out "Tenshinhan," would likely lead to a, "Wait, who?" You can apply the same generality to me saying "King Kai" instead of "Kaiou."

That very specific circumstance aside, though, I'll use their real names.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:55 pm

Hercule, Top, King Kai, Supreme Kai, Grand Minister, Cheelia, and a few others. I really hate how they're doing the Tournament of Power characters and not being consistent with the official Japanese/Toei/Viz spellings like Vermoud and Cae.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:13 pm

What I find most puzzling about all of it is when die-hard FUNimation fans absolutely relish in these changes in particular and enjoy insulting and referring to anyone who questions them as "weebs" or whatever. This includes the Faulconer soundtrack... apparently the embellishments of some random guys in Texas with little to no knowledge of the series are somehow sacred and you're a damn weeb if you question them or prefer the original material. They seem to really love Dragon Ball (Z in particular), but don't appear to have any interest whatsoever in what the original Japanese series had to offer--which is what attracted me to it in the first place, knowing there were things being hidden from me as a once-exclusive viewer of the series through the FUNi lens. There must be some fascinating psychological basis behind this line of reasoning.

But more to the question... definitely "Tien Shinhan" (we decided to split the name in two, throw an 'i' in Ten and make Shinhan his surname because shut up).
JohnnyCashKami wrote:But even worse is that they mispronounced the word Saiyan and never gave a fuck to fix that.
I hate to admit this, but I definitely cringe a little bit whenever I see "Just Saiyan" shirts and the like. Not just because it's a dumb old meme or because it's the wrong pronunciation, but because it also reminds me of the fact that I'm an elitist dweeb and can't not judge it. :P
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:27 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:But even worse is that they mispronounced the word Saiyan and never gave a fuck to fix that.
The way Funi pronounces it honestly doesn't sound too far off from the original. I think it would sound much worse if they attempted to follow the Japanese pronunciation, mostly because they decided to go with the "Saiyan" spelling instead of "Saiya" or something else.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:46 am

MyVisionity wrote:
The way Funi pronounces it honestly doesn't sound too far off from the original. I think it would sound much worse if they attempted to follow the Japanese pronunciation, mostly because they decided to go with the "Saiyan" spelling instead of "Saiya" or something else.
You would have a point if it was spelled "Sayan" but it's Saiyan.

Saiyan and Sayan sound completely different. Saiyan = Cyan / Sayan = Say-un

FUNimation did eventually correct themselves on Piccolo's special attack name (Makankosappo) and even said Son Goku though just once, but properly pronounce Saiyan? Nope.

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:27 am

I've fortunately reached a point where I don't care anymore..

That being said - Tri Beam doesn't have the same ring as Kikoho and Special Beam Cannon is uninspired and sounds like an attack name invented by an edgy 9 year old (I would've been that 9 year old).

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:29 pm

The silliest name change has to be renaming Dragon Ball episode 84 "Obsessed with Winning!! Preliminary Survival" as "Preliminary Peril" and then renaming episode 134 "Troubles at the Tenka’ichi Budōkai" as "Preliminary Peril". Thus, the English Dragon Ball Wiki needed a disambiguation page for "Preliminary Peril" (https://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Preliminary_Peril)

Never mind creating issues with the name Shen and who Goku's dad was, Funimation couldn't even keep track of their own episode names.