Dragon Ball Is Still making money and is Dominating.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Limit-Breaking

Dragon Ball Is Still making money and is Dominating.

Post by Limit-Breaking » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:05 pm

Dragon Ball Super Has ended but it appears the dragon ball franchise is still making money.

Toei's 2nd quarter (July-September) results. Dragon Ball continues its domination and year over year growth.
In case there is any confusion it's 19/3 Q2 that you should be looking at.

From the twitter account

https://twitter.com/ArchedThunder

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball Is Still making money and is Dominating.

Post by zarmack » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:26 pm

At this rate, it is clear that Dragonball isn't dying any time soon.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:30 pm

TOEI might Star Wars up Dragon Ball. Though, you can just pretend that doesn't exist.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:36 pm

zarmack wrote:At this rate, it is clear that Dragonball isn't dying any time soon.
Can't wait for the Coola movie in 2022!!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:58 pm

This guarantees a few more movies, a TV anime, a couple of spin off manga's and a hell of a lot more Heroes' cards.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:05 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:This guarantees a few more movies, a TV anime, a couple of spin off manga's and a hell of a lot more Heroes' cards.
I think that highly depends on Toriyama; if he wants to continue, or if he's okay with someone else continuing should he not want to.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:06 pm

sangofe wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:This guarantees a few more movies, a TV anime, a couple of spin off manga's and a hell of a lot more Heroes' cards.
I think that highly depends on Toriyama; if he wants to continue, or if he's okay with someone else continuing should he not want to.
They will make more Dragon Ball with or without Toriyama.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:32 pm

I hope so. Dragon Ball is one of the few properties where as long as they keep making it, I’ll keep consuming it. I just hope after this movie we get a lot more variety and original ideas. I’m 100% happy with (and honestly prefer) the continued focus on Goku and Vegeta, but there’s so much that can be done especially now with the other universes to explore.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:15 pm

Of course its making a ton of money. DB is the best anime franchise in the world! :thumbup:

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:26 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Now since Dragon Ball is doing great and we have Toyotaro on board, we should expect AF series in the future. :D

But seriously, it's really cool that our beloved franchise is still so strong.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:34 pm

Strong financially, but not necessarily creatively.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:48 pm

ABED wrote:Strong financially, but not necessarily creatively.
Fair call but I think the Broly movie retread and to a lesser extent most of Super returning to familiar ideas is proof of that.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:54 pm

They did single out Dragonball Legends, FighterZ and Dokkan as some of the big profit-makers, so it's not even necessarily a sign of what kind of stories they're going to put in the franchise from now on. Just more that FTP still gives profits like FTP does. And FighterZ.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Forte224 wrote:
zarmack wrote:At this rate, it is clear that Dragonball isn't dying any time soon.
Will we eventually see Goku achieve a rainbow haired transformation after they run out of colors? Will it be revealed that Zeno is only the ruler of the 7th multiverse and is one of several omni-kings under the Omni-God that rules over the greater mega/omniverse? How about Omni Dragonballs the size of stars or universes? How far is it going to?!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:17 pm

Forte224 wrote:
And Golden Coola is just gonna stand there watching it. :P

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 pm

Wow. I knew Dragon Ball was the most popular Toei IP internationally but didn't expect it to surpass One Piece in Japan too.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:38 am

Mnich wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Now since Dragon Ball is doing great and we have Toyotaro on board, we should expect AF series in the future. :D

I'm inclined to think the creator can stop Dragon Ball if he wants to. He did allow Dragon Ball GT before, but he seems to care more about it than he did at the time. So we'll see. I'm not saying what you guys are saying can't happen, I'm just saying it's not guaranteed to happen, even if I'm one of those fans who enjoy almost all sorts of new Dragon Ball (even Heroes to some extent, but it's not the greatest thing out there, and I hope DB doesn't get reduced to that quality).

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:27 am

sangofe wrote:I'm inclined to think the creator can stop Dragon Ball if he wants to. He did allow Dragon Ball GT before, but he seems to care more about it than he did at the time. So we'll see. I'm not saying what you guys are saying can't happen, I'm just saying it's not guaranteed to happen, even if I'm one of those fans who enjoy almost all sorts of new Dragon Ball (even Heroes to some extent, but it's not the greatest thing out there, and I hope DB doesn't get reduced to that quality).
I don't think Toriyama has that kind of control over the franchise. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Shueisha and Toei own the manga and anime rights respectively, not Toriyama. Also, he had to talk to quite a few people behind the scenes when he wanted to end it before he could actually do it. I don't think even he has enough pull to say "no more Dragon Ball ever" and Shueisha and Toei just end it all right then and there.

Like Lord Beerus said, they're gonna continue it with or without Toriyama until they start seeing diminishing returns.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:34 am

sangofe wrote:
Mnich wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: They will make more Dragon Ball with or without Toriyama.

I'm inclined to think the creator can stop Dragon Ball if he wants to. He did allow Dragon Ball GT before, but he seems to care more about it than he did at the time. So we'll see. I'm not saying what you guys are saying can't happen, I'm just saying it's not guaranteed to happen, even if I'm one of those fans who enjoy almost all sorts of new Dragon Ball (even Heroes to some extent, but it's not the greatest thing out there, and I hope DB doesn't get reduced to that quality).
I have for the most part enjoyed Modern Dragon Ball but I still want Toriyama on board. I think Super despite its problems still feel like something Toriyama would write himself. I do believe that Super will return in late Summer or Fall of 2019.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:32 am

Majin Buu wrote:
sangofe wrote:I'm inclined to think the creator can stop Dragon Ball if he wants to. He did allow Dragon Ball GT before, but he seems to care more about it than he did at the time. So we'll see. I'm not saying what you guys are saying can't happen, I'm just saying it's not guaranteed to happen, even if I'm one of those fans who enjoy almost all sorts of new Dragon Ball (even Heroes to some extent, but it's not the greatest thing out there, and I hope DB doesn't get reduced to that quality).
I don't think Toriyama has that kind of control over the franchise. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Shueisha and Toei own the manga and anime rights respectively, not Toriyama. Also, he had to talk to quite a few people behind the scenes when he wanted to end it before he could actually do it. I don't think even he has enough pull to say "no more Dragon Ball ever" and Shueisha and Toei just end it all right then and there.

Like Lord Beerus said, they're gonna continue it with or without Toriyama until they start seeing diminishing returns.
In a recent interview, the head of The Dragon Room said:
No matter how much we say, “We want to make a movie,” if Toriyama-sensei says “No,” it ends there… Well, hypothetically speaking; that’s not to say that Toriyama-sensei doesn’t want to do it. (laughs)

I'm sure they could continue until it stops making money but I like to think that they would stop once Toriyama retires out of respect for him as the original author. I prefer to think that than envision them as the stereotypical studio executive sitting behind their desk, counting their money, and brainstorming new ways to milk the franchise :P. I read that in 2008 Toei and Bandai wanted a new Dragonball anime but Toriyama refused so they went with DB Kai instead.