Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7593
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Noah » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:53 pm

PFM18 wrote:
IM21 wrote:So they made Broly a friend and Frieza has become pretty much a joke. But hey, at least it looks great. To me this movie sounds pretty much not needed. I hope I am wrong.
How is Broly being a friend such a bad thing? I don't see an issue with that? The illustration of the Saiyan's history and the introduction of Broly in and of itself warrants it's existence to me.
Because he was first portrayed as an unstoppable evil force? Broly showing no sights of villany to be just a guy that is just there to fight even though he doesn't know why... Is just poor storytelling, people might say they improved his character from the past movies, but I never pictured Broly as sort of a anti hero, it doesn't feel right.
ekrolo2 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:So can we confirm that Freeza actually wanted to get taller? I am basically praying at that point that it was a big mistake.
Nope, that's his motivation.
That's so damn out of character, can't believe Toriyama though that would be funny... He needs a director again.
Nero<>Akira wrote:Gogeta most likely doesnt even use a blast like Final Kamehameha releasing a significant amount of his power. Thats the only reason Vegetto defused and because he was fighting an immortal being. Gogeta is fighting someone he is easily stomping.
So you mean no Big Bang Kamehameha on this movie? Meh :yawn:
Last edited by Noah on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PFM18 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Miracles wrote:Do you think I'm gonna listen to a headcannon specialist like you who already made up Jiren being stronger than Beerus?
I don't care if you listen to me, it doesn't change what the facts are.

Also, it's hilarious that you make that little comment to me about head canon knowing your tendencies

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7841
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by HeroR » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:54 pm

The Patrolman wrote:Sooooooo Freeza kinda serves no purpose in the movie
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
sunsetshimmer
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1677
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Location: Poland/Equestria

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:54 pm

Burakku wrote:And how many time has the fusion failed.

Some.spoilers say 3 times but what would be a failed 3rd fusion?
It would be Vegito 8)
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

User avatar
The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:46 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by The Patrolman » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:55 pm

HeroR wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:Sooooooo Freeza kinda serves no purpose in the movie
Interesting
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PFM18 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:55 pm

HeroR wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
He's not wrong.
He is. Quality is one of the most subjective things out there. It is based on your own personal interpretation of the events and how that ties into your personal opinion on all of the different facets of a story that makes up the quality of it.

You can try to be more objective by remaining unbiased, but quality is ultimately subjective and varies from person to person in what they think about it. You can't objectively say somebody is wrong about quality, and that in and of itself makes it subjective.
Quality is subjective. You can have a film that is good in that direction well, have good acting, have an interesting story and conclusion. So it paper, it's a quality film, but no one wants to see it because it's boring, despite everything on paper saying that the film is good. We see this with many Oscar films. Movie that are indeed great quality, but moviegoing didn't see it because they rather watch Transformers.
Yeah. quality is subjective. That's what I said. You're literally agreeing with me but saying that the person I disagreed with is right.

User avatar
IM21
Banned
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:45 am
Location: Hell

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by IM21 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:55 pm

Miracles wrote: I didn't know it was just another useless question. People were saying it was blatantly stated that Broly was stronger than Beerus. Like they falsey claimed about Jiren.
I'll wait for official subs. The DB fandom likes to push their bias.

You know how bad the DB fandom can be.
The guy who watched the movie from narutoforums said ''Goku then goes on to say that Broly is an incredible fighter and that he might even be stronger than Beerus.'' Now all we can do is wait and see what the official subs say.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7841
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by HeroR » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:56 pm

zarmack wrote:
Which proves once again that Toei is much more ambitious with Dragonball than Toriyama is, especially since Battle of Gods (compare Toei's original ideas for the film with Toriyama's changes to it that resulted in the film we got in 2013).
I wouldn't call Toei's version of Battle of Gods 'ambitious' since it recycled the Garlic Jr and Baba Saga. That and whitewash the Saiyans as being brainwash instead of just evil dicks.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by BrolyKale » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:57 pm

I know someone else who watched the movie and confirmed that the "Broly might be stronger than Beerus" is indeed in the movie, from Freza-sama.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 852
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:22 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by zarmack » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:57 pm

ssj4 wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:
zarmack wrote:
No it doesn't. SSJ4's multiplier was nowhere stated nor implied to be nowhere near to potara fusions. That guide you are referring to merely point out that Buu arc Vegito was "perhaps stronger than a SSJ4", which suggest that SSJ4 much weaker than you think, while SSB is at least 50x SSG (since its SSJ x SSG).
It never said anythng about Buu arc Vegito. It was about Vegito overall.
Super Baby 1 was already stated to be stronger than Vegito and he was shit compared to SSJ4 Goku, so you're wrong.
And if base Gogeta is strongr than SSJ Blue it either retcons SSJ God being stronger than Vegito pretty much making SSJ4 far superior to Blue or it retcons statement about potara fusion being superior and just makes Gogeta far stronger than Vegito.
ssj4 wrote:
What is this? MLP/EQG?
Lol pretty much
So both DBZ and EQG suffer from a lack of villains/too many reformed villains.
DBZ was filled with legit villains. Most of the characters that ever debuted in Z were villains, and only of fraction of them ever reformed.

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1315
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:58 pm

zarmack wrote:If quality isn't objective then that means all DB media is equally good or bad, which is clearly false.
Wrong, again. Subectivity doesn't mean something is equally good or bad. It means that your judgement of something being good or bad is not an universal fact, since it relies in your personal taste and preferences. Taste and preferences vary from person to person. Like wise, their opinions on the artistic quality of a given work vary as well. And that variety of results proves the inherent subjectivity of it all.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7841
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by HeroR » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:59 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Yeah. quality is subjective. That's what I said. You're literally agreeing with me but saying that the person I disagreed with is right.
People liking something more doesn't mean the product is quality, otherwise Mcdonalds' food is better quality than Jimmy Johns since more people eat Mcdonalds.

The original poster point was that you can disagree with Toriyama, but the fact remains that getting mad about something he clearly set forward and we even knew it was coming seems silly. Especially with people thinking Bardock saving Goku makes him 'good', completely ignoring he happily committed genocide.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PFM18 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:01 pm

HeroR wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Yeah. quality is subjective. That's what I said. You're literally agreeing with me but saying that the person I disagreed with is right.
People liking something more doesn't mean the product is quality, otherwise Mcdonalds' food is better quality than Jimmy Johns since more people eat Mcdonalds.

The original poster point was that you can disagree with Toriyama, but the fact remains that getting mad about something he clearly set forward and we even knew it was coming seems silly. Especially with people thinking Bardock saving Goku makes him 'good', completely ignoring he happily committed genocide.
The original poster's point was that quality is objective and not subjective. That is wrong. There really isn't anything else to it.

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7593
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Noah » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:02 pm

Oh I think no one had asked this one before, but for the first time we see BASE GOGETA on this movie?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
rizefall
Newbie
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:35 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by rizefall » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:02 pm

Noah wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
IM21 wrote:So they made Broly a friend and Frieza has become pretty much a joke. But hey, at least it looks great. To me this movie sounds pretty much not needed. I hope I am wrong.
How is Broly being a friend such a bad thing? I don't see an issue with that? The illustration of the Saiyan's history and the introduction of Broly in and of itself warrants it's existence to me.
Because he was first portrayed as an unstoppable evil force? Broly showing no sights of villany to be just a guy that is just there to fight even though he doesn't know why... Is just poor storytelling, people might say they improved his character from the past movies, but I never pictured Broly as sort of a anti hero, it doesn't feel right.
But how is it a bad thing? So you mean that just because he was evil before he has to be now, if not it's bad even though it's overall much better written this time around?

I just don't understand how people are so stuck to some ideas and can't try new things. Old Broly was shit. He was evil and angry against Goku because Goku screamed while they was next to each other as kids. That's horrible. In this movie we still get the same old Broly but also a reason for it and a much better backstory to him as a whole... Well to be fair anything would be better that the original crap we got.

People are obviously entitled to their opinion but saying the new stuff is bad just because it's not like the old stuff is plain silly.

User avatar
rizefall
Newbie
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:35 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by rizefall » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:03 pm

Noah wrote:Oh I think no one had asked this one before, but for the first time we see BASE GOGETA on this movie?
It's been asked all over lol. From what's been shared it's Base, SSJ and Blue. No God.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7841
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by HeroR » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:03 pm

zarmack wrote:
DBZ was filled with legit villains. Most of the characters that ever debuted in Z were villains, and only of fraction of them ever reformed.
If you mean minor villains, true. Major villain, Vegeta turned good, Buu turned good, Super Buu didn't, Kid Buu was reborn into a good person. So that's about half of Z main villains who reformed. And if you include the Androids that bumps the number.
Last edited by HeroR on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular
Posts: 632
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:04 pm

So a bit that caught my eye from the summary

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 852
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:22 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by zarmack » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:05 pm

HeroR wrote:
zarmack wrote:
Which proves once again that Toei is much more ambitious with Dragonball than Toriyama is, especially since Battle of Gods (compare Toei's original ideas for the film with Toriyama's changes to it that resulted in the film we got in 2013).
I wouldn't call Toei's version of Battle of Gods 'ambitious' since it recycled the Garlic Jr and Baba Saga. That and whitewash the Saiyans as being brainwash instead of just evil dicks.
Toei's version still would have brought more tension and drama than the film we got. Also, Beerus wasn't said to have brainwash the Saiyans in this draft, only that he corrupted most of them. They would still have their free will and still would be responsible for what they did.

User avatar
Burakku
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:01 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Burakku » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:05 pm

BTW the movie follows more likely the movie/Toriyama story as Tarble is mentioned like in BoG...

With this... I hope the anime/manga will bring him some day as well.

Post Reply