Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:38 pm

Germany, France, America and Brazil, just to name a few are all selling Dragon Ball Kai with the Kikuchi (replacement) score though Britain, published by Manga UK and authored by Madman, are selling Dragon Ball Kai episodes 01-38 (Saiyan arc and partially the Freeza arc) with the Kenji Yamamoto soundtrack.

UK is Region 2 for DVDs, and Region B for Blu-rays so if you're in a Region 1/A country then you'd obviously need a Region Free DVD/BD to play it whether Blu-ray or DVD, depending what you'd go for.

Season 1: Episodes 01-26 (Yamamoto Score)
Season 2: Episodes 27-52 (Yamamoto Score 27-38 | Kikuchi Score 39-52)

I ordered these two seasons a few months ago and it was such a joy to hear the original score of Kai but then that ended once the Kikuchi score kicked in (when Freeza begins his transformation).

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1638
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:12 pm

I never understood how this happened. Manga UK didn't get Kai until 2015, and by then Madman had already replaced the score on their first 3 volumes IIRC.

Suffice to say, and even as a Kikuchi Kai defender I am happy that Manga got the Yamamoto score for those early episodes as its nice to have it available.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- Madman Level 1.1

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2744
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:32 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I never understood how this happened. Manga UK didn't get Kai until 2015, and by then Madman had already replaced the score on their first 3 volumes IIRC.
Yeah. It's honestly a pretty hilarious blunder.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Suffice to say, and even as a Kikuchi Kai defender I am happy that Manga got the Yamamoto score for those early episodes as its nice to have it available.
Heh. Well, honestly I'm not overly thrilled about either score, and if I had to pick one... Honestly, I'd rather have the consistency of just the one score Kikuchi gives(Even with fan efforts, the best you can do is a dub-only custom fan rescore for episodes 96-98), and even though it's a massively flawed score, in fact I would even say inferior to Yamamoto's in a lot of ways, Yamamoto's plagiarism turns my stomach.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1912
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:26 pm

It was an incredibly fortunate oversight that lead to the UK release retaining that score. Unfortunately it only lasted until the episode where Frieza goes into his 3rd form rather than to the end of the saga. Still getting it in the first place was a very pleasant surprise.

Big Boss
Regular
Posts: 597
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by Big Boss » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:33 pm

As a Yamamoto cultist, this pleases me greatly. But as Robo said, the inconsistency would just bug the hell out of me. The placement of Kikuchi's score also leaves a lot to be desired, and that's me putting it lightly. Truth be told, it's a fucking terrible hack-job that feels more like a fan effort than an official release.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:14 pm

I'm pretty sure the only reason Manga UK's release has the Yamamoto score is the same reason they didn't provide the replacement discs for the so-called Fortuneteller Baba "saga" when Madman did: laziness.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

User avatar
NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:17 pm

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by NinjaGoku » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:35 am

Not Britain, the United Kingdom, please edit.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1638
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:08 pm

NinjaGoku wrote:Not Britain, the United Kingdom, please edit.
Or title ir 'MangaUK - The Only Licensor Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score' as they also sell to Ireland, but I suppose its easy to mistake it as being part of the UK.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- Madman Level 1.1

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:11 pm

NinjaGoku wrote:Not Britain, the United Kingdom, please edit.
Britain is technically correct as saying UK, it's just a more polite and formal way. Nothing actually wrong with "Britain" so no need for a thread name change.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Ireland, but I suppose its easy to mistake it as being part of the UK.
Well, Ireland isn't part of UK but Northern Ireland is. With Brexit, things will finally shake up for the better.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2744
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:53 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
NinjaGoku wrote:Not Britain, the United Kingdom, please edit.
Britain is technically correct as saying UK, it's just a more polite and formal way. Nothing actually wrong with "Britain" so no need for a thread name change.
I believe "The UK" is the more accurate term, but saying "Britain" is totally fine, just like how saying "The USA" is more accurate, but saying "America" is totally fine. (Though I suppose it's a reverse case, since "Britain" would technically refer to less than the UK, while "America" would technically refer to more than the USA)
I personally prefer to be more accurate and precise, as very recently I've had some confusion arising from "America" instead of "The USA", but I think as long as everybody understands each-other and no ill will was intended, there's no harm done, right?...
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Well, Ireland isn't part of UK but Northern Ireland is. With Brexit, things will finally shake up for the better.
Can we not ruin this discussion with politics, please? :lolno:
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 302
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by SX10 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:13 am

Robo4900 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
NinjaGoku wrote:Not Britain, the United Kingdom, please edit.
Britain is technically correct as saying UK, it's just a more polite and formal way. Nothing actually wrong with "Britain" so no need for a thread name change.
I believe "The UK" is the more accurate term, but saying "Britain" is totally fine, just like how saying "The USA" is more accurate, but saying "America" is totally fine. (Though I suppose it's a reverse case, since "Britain" would technically refer to less than the UK, while "America" would technically refer to more than the USA)
I personally prefer to be more accurate and precise, as very recently I've had some confusion arising from "America" instead of "The USA", but I think as long as everybody understands each-other and no ill will was intended, there's no harm done, right?...
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Well, Ireland isn't part of UK but Northern Ireland is. With Brexit, things will finally shake up for the better.
Can we not ruin this discussion with politics, please? :lolno:
I'm glad someone said it!

Anyway, the Yamamto score on Blu Ray would be nice, but knowing it eventually swaps over puts me off, that would drive me insane. I really love some of the tracks though.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2744
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:15 am

SX10 wrote:Anyway, the Yamamto score on Blu Ray would be nice, but knowing it eventually swaps over puts me off, that would drive me insane. I really love some of the tracks though.
Heh. Indeed.

Well, I'm sure you know which version I would prefer to have on Blu-Ray... :lol:
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 302
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by SX10 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:08 am

:lol: same one I want haha
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

User avatar
SpiritBombTriumphant
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:38 am

I wish someone would release seasons 3 and 4 on BD with the Yamamoto score by accident. I want to have an original score used for the series but Kikuchi's random placement just kills it for me.
Big Boss wrote:it's a fucking terrible hack-job that feels more like a fan effort than an official release.
Please. Fans would do a better job than Toei did if we had the materials necessary to do so.
alakazam^ wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:24 pm
Shiyonasan wrote:Just when you thought there couldn't be anymore Yamamoto rip offs...
At this point, I think it's safe to say everything he did was plagiarized. Basically, if you hear a tune that sounds like it could have vocals, then it most likely did.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1638
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:59 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:I wish someone would release seasons 3 and 4 on BD with the Yamamoto score by accident.
I doubt that many episodes of post-Freeza arc Kai have been mixed with the Yamamoto score, aside from the Japanese version. The Yamamoto-scored episodes 53-63 of Funimation's dub for example were exclusive to Nicktoons and only the Yamamoto revival has them uncut, so since Funimation has never released those later episodes with Yamamoto on home video they would need to get TOEI's permission. Obviously because of the scandal there's no way TOEI would ever approve of it, or any more officially unreleased Yamamoto scored episodes for that matter.

There's probably a chance a distributor could sneak the Yamamoto score for episodes 1-52 on a future home release or repackaged release though. I think the fact TOEI hasn't done anything about MangaUK releasing it shows that they aren't keeping as close tabs on the episodes that have been available with that score for years, probably because all their attention has turned to Super, or they don't consider the UK worth keeping an eye on because its such a small region, but definitely not episodes 53-98.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- Madman Level 1.1

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
SpiritBombTriumphant
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:50 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:I wish someone would release seasons 3 and 4 on BD with the Yamamoto score by accident.
I doubt that many episodes of post-Freeza arc Kai have been mixed with the Yamamoto score, aside from the Japanese version. The Yamamoto-scored episodes 53-63 of Funimation's dub for example were exclusive to Nicktoons and only the Yamamoto revival has them uncut, so since Funimation has never released those later episodes with Yamamoto on home video they would need to get TOEI's permission. Obviously because of the scandal there's no way TOEI would ever approve of it, or any more officially unreleased Yamamoto scored episodes for that matter.

There's probably a chance a distributor could sneak the Yamamoto score for episodes 1-52 on a future home release or repackaged release though. I think the fact TOEI hasn't done anything about MangaUK releasing it shows that they aren't keeping as close tabs on the episodes that have been available with that score for years, probably because all their attention has turned to Super, or they don't consider the UK worth keeping an eye on because its such a small region, but definitely not episodes 53-98.
All we need is the Japanese versions on BD so that we can rip the score from the background and replace it with the dub releases we have. I just want to have a clean version of the song that plays when Gohan turns SSJ2. T_T
alakazam^ wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:24 pm
Shiyonasan wrote:Just when you thought there couldn't be anymore Yamamoto rip offs...
At this point, I think it's safe to say everything he did was plagiarized. Basically, if you hear a tune that sounds like it could have vocals, then it most likely did.

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 3942
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:57 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
NinjaGoku wrote:Not Britain, the United Kingdom, please edit.
Britain is technically correct as saying UK, it's just a more polite and formal way. Nothing actually wrong with "Britain" so no need for a thread name change.
No they're different things.

Great Britain = island containing England, Scotland & Wales.
United Kingdom = country consisting of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8793
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:37 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Britain is technically correct as saying UK.
Man, there were literally wars over that shit.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

User avatar
NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:17 pm

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by NinjaGoku » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:46 pm

It should be: UK and Ireland, the only countries selling DBZ Kai with the Yamamoto Score....

Not so much of a topic as it is a well known fact.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1638
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: Britain - The Only Country Still Selling New Copies of Kai w/ Yamamoto Score

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:38 pm

NinjaGoku wrote:It should be: UK and Ireland, the only countries selling DBZ Kai with the Yamamoto Score....

Not so much of a topic as it is a well known fact.
Presumably there's flea markets elsewhere where used copies of the Yamamoto scored Kai releases have been sold, so I think its appropriate to say "New Copies".

Alternatively it could also be called 'Manga UK - The Only Distributor Still Selling Kai w/ Yamamoto Score', although if that was the title I'm sure some of MangaUK's detractors would claim we're giving them too much credit as I'm sure all this was all simply a happy accident.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- Madman Level 1.1

If interested PM with offers

Post Reply