When are you guys going to watch Broly?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

When are you guys going to watch Broly?

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:54 pm

With Dragon Ball Super The Movie: Broly looming up just in front of us after months of waiting, just a more informal question i like to pose ...
Are you guys going to watch Broly as soon as you can? This probaby means you are watching it in full theatres.

There are several features of overly full theatres i personally don't particulary like, the horror and agony can vary but is imminent and almost always present: noicy people, childish folks that are laughing and yelling all the time, mobile phones going of, people feeding themselves excessive loads of popcorn, weird heads and coiffures in front of me that aren't actually Saiyans and blocking my view, couples making out in the seats next to me ..

I think i am not going to expose myself to these secular atrocities.
Altough i can theoretically from 24th January onwards, i think i am going to wait for a couple of weeks till the big crowd is gone to enjoy the experience in a somehow more serene context.

What have you guys planned? Tickets reserved to watch it right away in January or are you going to wait a couple of weeks?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: When are you guys going to watch Broly?

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:07 pm

Watching on premiere date at a local cinema, probably in one of the morning showings as not many people go to the at early hours. If for some reason I can't on premiere date and will go and watch it on the weekend.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:23 pm

I both prefer to watch it in Japanese (which it looks like I can't do for the US theater releases are all dubbed), I'm not that big on watching movies in theaters (I'd rather watch at home where I can pause when I want to and not miss anything when I get up to use the bathroom. At home I can also pause the movie to take screenshots and make gifs which I can't do in theaters), all the showings seem to be at night and if I go to a movie in winter on my own I'd rather do that in the afternoon since it gets dark out in January around 4pm and January is usually pretty snowy here, aside from the spectacle of fun Gokû and Vegeta sakuga there's nothing in the movie that I'm currently aware of that I'm dying of excitement to see, and finally, I'm currently in the middle of trying to make some life changes and have no idea how far along or where I and my availability will be in late January on Wednesday nights.

So yeah, lots of reasons why I might be waiting this one out for a Japanese home release.

That said if the plot was more my speed I'd probably make more of an effort.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:37 pm

I'm heading off to Tokyo two weeks tomorrow. Prepare for an incredibly first world problems story...

It was a bit of a tough decision as the options were the Hollywood premiere or Japan. If I picked LA, then the trip would be significantly cheaper, and I'd have the opportunity to meet content creator friends and network with the English VAs once again. The cons were that I'd be watching it dubbed, which although fine, wouldn't be my first choice. The other issue was that I'd only be able to see it once, and then I'd have to wait until January to see it in theatres here in the UK.

As someone whose full-time job now is to talk about the series' animation, one viewing was probably not going to cut it for any sort of report on the film's visuals that live up to my usual standards. So with that in mind, and the preference of seeing it in Japanese first, I settled on heading off to Tokyo in spite of it being significantly more pricey. Gonna be there for a week, so it'll be a cool holiday, and I haven't actually been since 2015!

So yeah, all is set! Got my advanced ticket, and funnily enough, the hotel I'm staying in backs onto one of the biggest cinemas in Shinjuku, so that's crazy handy. Can't wait! Should be a whole lot of fun.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:51 pm

Ajay wrote:I'm heading off to Tokyo two weeks tomorrow. Prepare for an incredibly first world problems story...

It was a bit of a tough decision as the options were the Hollywood premiere or Japan. If I picked LA, then the trip would be significantly cheaper, and I'd have the opportunity to meet content creator friends and network with the English VAs once again. The cons were that I'd be watching it dubbed, which although fine, wouldn't be my first choice. The other issue was that I'd only be able to see it once, and then I'd have to wait until January to see it in theatres here in the UK.

As someone whose full-time job now is to talk about the series' animation, one viewing was probably not going to cut it for any sort of report on the film's visuals that live up to my usual standards. So with that in mind, and the preference of seeing it in Japanese first, I settled on heading off to Tokyo in spite of it being significantly more pricey. Gonna be there for a week, so it'll be a cool holiday, and I haven't actually been since 2015!

So yeah, all is set! Got my advanced ticket, and funnily enough, the hotel I'm staying in backs onto one of the biggest cinemas in Shinjuku, so that's crazy handy. Can't wait! Should be a whole lot of fun.
If you don’t mind me asking, how do you get tickets to the LA event? Is it even possible for someone like me to get tickets, or is it a special occassion thing where a select lucky few get tickets? I’m asking this because I live in LA, and it would be really cool to see the movie a month early. Everywhere I’ve looked I can’t find any answers.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:58 pm

It isn't showing anywhere within reasonable traveling distance so I'll probably have to wait for the eventual home/streaming release. :problem:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:09 pm

MajinMan wrote:If you don’t mind me asking, how do you get tickets to the LA event? Is it even possible for someone like me to get tickets, or is it a special occassion thing where a select lucky few get tickets? I’m asking this because I live in LA, and it would be really cool to see the movie a month early. Everywhere I’ve looked I can’t find any answers.
To the best of my knowledge, it's very much a cast, content creator, and celebrity event. I have no idea if they'll open up tickets to the public like they did for Resurrection F's, but I'm sure they'll announce something soon if that's happening.

Deadtuber.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:49 pm

As soon as possible for the Japanese premiere with subs, but will rewatch once the Latin American dub comes out.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:49 pm

Ajay wrote:I'm heading off to Tokyo two weeks tomorrow. Prepare for an incredibly first world problems story...

But in Japan there won't be subtitles right? Obviously subbed vs dubbed, the subbed option is better, but dubbed vs raw then it becomes a matter of just being able to understand what they're saying does it not? Or are you fluent in Japanese? What's the deal there

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:58 pm

PFM18 wrote:But in Japan there won't be subtitles right? Obviously subbed vs dubbed, the subbed option is better, but dubbed vs raw then it becomes a matter of just being able to understand what they're saying does it not? Or are you fluent in Japanese? What's the deal there
I already read the entire plot summary many times over, and the rest of the dialogue should probably be more or less in-line with my Japanese abilities, so I have no real issue with understanding the plot.

I also saw Resurrection F raw first, along with every single Super episode, so it's nothing new to me, really.

Deadtuber.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:45 pm

I'd love to say that I'd be going to theaters here to see it, but the sad fact of the matter is, the closest theater to me that'll get it will probably be a good, long way's away, likely in Little Rock or something. Between that, potential weather issues, and conflicting work schedules between myself, my fiance, and my brother-in-law-to-be (who'd probably the one driving if it was to somewhere that far out of town), it's not likely to happen. So for me, it sadly probably won't be until it gets released on home video here, which hopefully won't be too far behind Japan's release.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:02 pm

Ajay wrote:
MajinMan wrote:If you don’t mind me asking, how do you get tickets to the LA event? Is it even possible for someone like me to get tickets, or is it a special occassion thing where a select lucky few get tickets? I’m asking this because I live in LA, and it would be really cool to see the movie a month early. Everywhere I’ve looked I can’t find any answers.
To the best of my knowledge, it's very much a cast, content creator, and celebrity event. I have no idea if they'll open up tickets to the public like they did for Resurrection F's, but I'm sure they'll announce something soon if that's happening.
Aight, thanks for responding.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:22 pm

Ajay wrote:
PFM18 wrote:But in Japan there won't be subtitles right? Obviously subbed vs dubbed, the subbed option is better, but dubbed vs raw then it becomes a matter of just being able to understand what they're saying does it not? Or are you fluent in Japanese? What's the deal there
I already read the entire plot summary many times over, and the rest of the dialogue should probably be more or less in-line with my Japanese abilities, so I have no real issue with understanding the plot.

I also saw Resurrection F raw first, along with every single Super episode, so it's nothing new to me, really.
Oh ok fair enough. Although I would imagine there's still little dialogue tidbits that weren't in the plot summary(s) that you'd at least have a chance to comprehend if you're Japanese abilities are adequate enough.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:26 pm

There's a few theaters near me that will be showing it, so I'll attempt the first showing. I'd much prefer the sub, but I love going to the movies. The summaries I've read have me super excited about the animation alone, so I'll be watching this one ASAP.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:47 pm

I enjoy Funimation's voice acting to the point I won't care if it's subbed or dubbed as long as what I'm reading/hearing is faithful enough to the script. Needless to say, I'll be seeing it in January.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:52 pm

Watching it next month. Anybody else gonna be watching near Tokyo? I’m in Sagamihara.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:01 pm

I'll try. I got the tickets for the premiere day of BoG but didn't have the same luck with RoF, I ended up going the next day after the premiere.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:16 pm

I heard there are selected theatres in Japan with English subtitled screenings. Any truth to this?
The world is your's.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:24 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:I enjoy Funimation's voice acting to the point I won't care if it's subbed or dubbed as long as what I'm reading/hearing is faithful enough to the script. Needless to say, I'll be seeing it in January.
....yeah I wouldn't count on the dialogue being that faithful to the Japanese script. Funimation seems to be a wildcard in that regard.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:29 pm

Honestly if someone leaks it online I'm definitely watching that version but I will definitely be supporting the official release, unfortunately in Australia that isn't until the 24th of January, even later than America. Really hoping I can avoid spoilers until then.